Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

McBride will "Drink Ireland Dry"

Its hard not to root for this guy over Tyson. I am a little worried about that reliance on hypnotism though.

'I'm a Contender, Not a Pretender'
Journeyman McBride Finally Gets a Swing at the Big Time

By Jake Schaller
Special to The Washington Post
Friday, June 10, 2005; E01

Kevin McBride towered over the podium at Howard University's Blackburn Center Ballroom on Wednesday, but even at 6 feet 6 and 271 pounds, he looked overwhelmed.

Wearing sunglasses with his baseball cap on backward, the Irish heavyweight shuffled his feet, grasped the microphone awkwardly, and, speaking in a rough brogue, recited for a gathering of media and fans the lines he has polished during the weeks leading up to tomorrow night's bout at MCI Center against Mike Tyson:

"I'm strong as an ox."

"I'm a contender, not a pretender."

"When I hit Mike Tyson on the chin, he's gonna t'ink the whole of Ireland, as an island, hit 'im."

"I'm gonna shock the world."

He sounded like he was trying to convince himself, as much as the crowd. It didn't help that a few feet away sat Tyson, suddenly angered and spewing sound-bite gold -- thanks to comments by McBride's manager, Rich Cappiello.

To help him overcome any fear Tyson may instill tomorrow night, McBride hired a hypnotist.

"I'm leaving no stone unturned," McBride said.

But longtime boxing writer Bert Sugar does not think anything will be able to save the 32-year-old McBride (32-4-1, 27 knockouts) in the ring. He says the bout will end "somewhere between 'Oh say,' and 'can you see.' "

As the latest hand-picked opponent for Tyson, this is McBride's role. In The Mike Tyson Show, he is closer to an extra than a supporting actor. Several times at Wednesday's news conference, when rattling off the big names on the card, speakers mentioned Tyson and undercard fighters Laila Ali, Erin Toughill and Sharmba Mitchell but left out McBride.

He, after all, was once knocked out by Michael Murray -- it was Murray's only victory in his last 18 fights. And McBride was, for a time, the sparring partner for Peter McNeely, Tyson's first opponent after being released from prison in 1995 who was disqualified from the bout when his trainer ran into the ring to stop the fight after 89 seconds.

"I remember after the Tyson-McNeely fight some reporter asked if there would be a rematch -- one of the dumbest questions in the history of dumb questions," Sugar said. "I think we're getting the rematch."

McBride hired the hypnotist at the suggestion of assistant trainer, Paschal Collins, the brother of former middleweight champion Steve Collins who used one before his fight with Chris Eubank in 1995. Eubank was spooked when he heard about the plan, and it most certainly was in his head when he lost a unanimous decision.

Paschal Collins hopes McBride's hypnosis has a more tangible effect.

"Kevin has gotten a lot of bad press lately . . . And that does grow on you," Collins said. "The hypnotist was to get all those negative thoughts out of his mind."

The plan, according to Collins, is to hypnotize McBride before he walks to the ring, then use an "anchor," such as a snap of the fingers or a certain word, to bring him out of it before the opening bell. That way, McBride won't be intimidated by the huge crowd or Tyson's entrance. Even in the ring, however, the hypnosis will help, Collins said.

"The hypnotist has made Kevin's awareness so great, that Tyson, when he throws a shot, it will look like it's coming in slow motion," he said. "And also, he will [withstand] a lot more pain than a person not under hypnosis."

Most believe that McBride's hypnotic trance will be followed, probably within minutes, by a deep sleep, courtesy of Tyson. But, then again, it was tough to imagine Tyson not destroying little-known British heavyweight Danny Williams last July in Louisville. Williams knocked out Tyson in four rounds.

"You'll be surprised that [McBride] has really increased his speed," said Goody Petronelli, McBride's trainer. "He's working behind the jab. And Tyson is there to be hit, you know that."

McBride began boxing at age 9, and at 18 he became the youngest super heavyweight to compete in the Olympics. He turned pro in 1992, but after going unbeaten in his first 19 professional fights, he suffered three losses by knockout in six fights, the last coming in April 1998 to Murray and leading his promoter-manager team to release him.

"I wasn't taking fights too seriously," McBride said. "But you appreciate the losses, because then you appreciate the wins."

McBride moved to Boston from County Monaghan, Ireland, in 1999, and through Steve Collins, he was set up with Petronelli, a boxing lifer with a skinny frame, a wrinkled face and a nose that only could have been shaped by fists. Petronelli has added an air of legitimacy to the McBride camp. He trained former middleweight king Marvelous Marvin Hagler, and under Petronelli's tutelage McBride has won seven fights in a row by knockout and lost just once -- to DaVarryl Williamson, a top-10 heavyweight.

McBride also has become a local hero in the Boston area, recognized especially in Brockton and Dorchester, his adopted home town. Jerry Quinn, owner of The Kells, a Boston restaurant that sponsors McBride, said McBride is a fixture at fund-raisers and activities he sponsors for underprivileged youths, even dressing up as Santa Claus around Christmas. He has an endearing charm that was evident on Wednesday when he talked about his daughter and asked Ali for an autograph. Even Tyson has called him "cute" and "a nice guy."

"It's hard to imagine that guy can go into a ring and do what he does because he's such a big-hearted guy," Quinn said.

Now, like James Braddock -- the Irish heavyweight who overcame staggering odds and is the title character portrayed by Russell Crowe in the movie "Cinderella Man" -- McBride has a once-in-a-lifetime shot. And he believes he has done everything -- including forsaking Guinness for more than a year -- to make the best of it.

"I didn't cheat myself," McBride said. "When I win the world title and finish my boxing career, I'll drink Ireland dry."

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm Peter McNeely from Medford (.. or whatever it was) Mass and on August 16th, I'll kick Mike Tysons ass.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

Medfield. The best part about Peter McNeely was you could call his house and listen to his hilarious answering machine message, even after the fight was over.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

Who all here will but this PPV? I haven't paid for a Tyson PPV in almost 15 yrs but for some reason I'm thinking of buying it Sat.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
"The hypnotist has made Kevin's awareness so great, that Tyson, when he throws a shot, it will look like it's coming in slow motion," he said. "And also, he will [withstand] a lot more pain than a person not under hypnosis."
Nice to see that, even with the punches coming in slow motion, it hasn't occured to them for him to not get hit.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm strongly considering buying it, to be honest.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The whole hypnosis thing is just bizarre. Has anyone ever heard of another fighter doing this?
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

This is definitely McNeely Part II. After seeing the two go at it yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind that McBride is McFucked. Tyson by KO in the 1st.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
This is definitely McNeely Part II. After seeing the two go at it yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind that McBride is McFucked. Tyson by KO in the 1st.

Thats what I thought what would happen to Danny Williams too but he was the one doing the "knocking out" routine.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Thats what I thought what would happen to Danny Williams too but he was the one doing the "knocking out" routine.
That was supposed to be McBride last year, too. He wanted too much money so Tyson's people brought in Williams instead, which leads to a hilarious quote. This time McBride accepted the same sum of money he turned down last time and said, "When the Tyson fight came up this time, I grabbed it with all my hands."

Don't forget that Mike blew out his knee against Williams, though. He couldn't get the leverage to throw his right hand after that.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
AlexB
Pro Starter

That's Tyson's attraction: you're almost guaranteed now the fight won't last too long - either he'll spark his opponent in the first couple (as he almost did against Danny Williams remember) or he'll be fucked after four or five and he'll end up on his backside. Either way, there's no 12 round bore draw.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

I dare you to pay money for this one.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
maximus
Banned

Quote:
I dare you to pay money for this one.

OH....the peer pressure....
Old 06-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:

I double-dog dare you!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sheeet, I'll see the whole fight on ESPN some hours later.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Sheeet, I'll see the whole fight on ESPN some hours later.

Or on Showtime the following week (at least I think Tyson still boxes for them.)
Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

So which will be the longer fight? The Golota travesty from a week or so ago, or Tyson/McBride?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
So which will be the longer fight? The Golota travesty from a week or so ago, or Tyson/McBride?

Tyson/McBride
Old 06-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #19
maximus
Banned

Anybodu know how else is supposed to be on this fight card?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #20
maximus
Banned

OK, I purchased the fight. Stupid me.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #21
timmynausea
College Starter

I thought about it. I probably would've but my brother had to work tonight. Are you going to do a round by round update?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #22
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Round 1

Tyson wins by KO
Old 06-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #23
maximus
Banned

Tyson *himself* just threw in the towel in the 7th round.

This guy is done......
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #24
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Why would anyone pay money to see this shit. It's like 3 notches below pro wrestling.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #25
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Why would anyone pay money to see this shit. It's like 3 notches below pro wrestling.

Well, I have been a Tyson fan since 1985. I kinds thought that this would be his last fight. I've seen all of his fights and paid for many of the PPV.

Tyson just said that he no longer has the heart to box and he just wanted to quit. He will not return he says.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #26
BoNINwie
n00b

What a sad day for boxing. The end of an era. We have just witnessed the "death" of a superstar. The life of Mike Tyson will make one hell of a movie though, maybe this was all planned out by the man himself to put a dramatic ending to a movie that could make millions. Lord knows he needs the money.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #27
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNINwie
What a sad day for boxing. The end of an era. We have just witnessed the "death" of a superstar. The life of Mike Tyson will make one hell of a movie though, maybe this was all planned out by the man himself to put a dramatic ending to a movie that could make millions. Lord knows he needs the money.

What really screwed Tyson up was his ex-wife, Don "the murder & crock" King" and Tysons Pro-Black stance.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #28
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I will never comment on boxing ever again.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #29
JeffR
High School JV

Boxrec.com had McBride rated 152nd in the world before fight - only 25 spots ahead of an over-the-hill Butterbean. Tyson might be 39, but there have been plenty of guys who've still been reasonably good at that age. Either he just doesn't care anymore, or something's seriously wrong with him.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #30
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Boxrec.com had McBride rated 152nd in the world before fight - only 25 spots ahead of an over-the-hill Butterbean. Tyson might be 39, but there have been plenty of guys who've still been reasonably good at that age. Either he just doesn't care anymore, or something's seriously wrong with him.
I think he just doesn't believe he can win and he quits. He's obviously pretty fragile mentally and emotionally. Apparently he had won every round on 2 of the 3 judge's cards.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's sad, really sad.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #32
korme
Go Reds

Tyson interviewed live on ESPN. He's humble, as he should be now. He's saying he can't compete anymore and he isn't going to embarrass the sport anymore. Sounds very sincere.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #33
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Tyson might be 39, but there have been plenty of guys who've still been reasonably good at that age.
At 39? Plenty were still reasonably good? Fighters like Bernard Hopkins are the extreme exception. Hardly any boxer is still reasonably good when they're 39.

EDIT: Well, after thinking about it a minute, a 39 year old ex champion destroyer should probably be able to take a fighter that's barely ranked higher than Butterbean. So I can see your point.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-11-2005 at 11:19 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think if he's lost the fire, he ought to stop. I just hope he can find a way to turn his life around for good. Doubt it, but I do hope so. It's possible, as others have. Not sure..but..surely there is someone, right?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #35
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
At 39? Plenty were still reasonably good? Fighters like Bernard Hopkins are the extreme exception. Hardly any boxer is still reasonably good when they're 39.

EDIT: Well, after thinking about it a minute, a 39 year old ex champion destroyer should probably be able to take a fighter that's barely ranked higher than Butterbean. So I can see your point.

Yeah, that's what I meant - guys like Louis, Walcott, and Foreman were still capable of taking out top contenders in their late 30's and 40's. Tyson would get killed against a top-10 guy now. Even Ali was better than this at the end.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #36
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Or on Showtime the following week (at least I think Tyson still boxes for them.)

It was Showtime PPV. I'm sure SHO will pick it up in the next week or two. I'm hoping they show the Leila Ali fight.

I wanted to order tonight, but have a hard time shelling out $44.95 for a Tyson fight.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
It was Showtime PPV. I'm sure SHO will pick it up in the next week or two. I'm hoping they show the Leila Ali fight.

I wanted to order tonight, but have a hard time shelling out $44.95 for a Tyson fight.

Isn't the knock on Laila Ali that she hasn't fought anyone as good as her? Or do the pundits saying that just fail to realize that she's the only real one women's boxing has?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Unlike HBO, Showtime usually doesn't replay their PPVs a week later.

Quote:
Isn't the knock on Laila Ali that she hasn't fought anyone as good as her? Or do the pundits saying that just fail to realize that she's the only real one women's boxing has?

The second one.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #39
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Unlike HBO, Showtime usually doesn't replay their PPVs a week later.

They replied last weekend's fight last night (Friday) on SHO.

As for Ali, she's not the only one. There have been a few other names. Martin? Frazier (who Ali fought)? And, I think there may be one more name fighter.

Women's boxing will grow eventually and Ali is the right person to draw the attention.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #40
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There have been a few other names. Martin? Frazier (who Ali fought)?

Marvis Frazier. He was a very good light heavyweight who just didn't know enough to not chase his father's legacy. He made a big mistake moving up. He could have been one of the best light-heavyweights in history. Instead he was a joke of a heavyweight.

The same goes for Michael Moorer. Except he could have been a good heavyweight, but lost something when he moved up. The skill was there. The heart wasn't. But at 175, he was amazing.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #41
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Even Ali was better than this at the end.

Have you ever seen the Holmes fight? Larry was barely trying and he was embarassing Ali. It is painful.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:02 AM   #42
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
Have you ever seen the Holmes fight? Larry was barely trying and he was embarassing Ali. It is painful.

I saw the replay of that fight. It was depressing watching Ali getting pummeled like that.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 AM   #43
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

Yeah, but Ali lasted 11 rounds against a great fighter like Holmes, and went the distance with Trevor Berbick in his last fight. Can you see Tyson making it ten rounds against a top-10 guy today?
Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #44
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Marvis Frazier. He was a very good light heavyweight who just didn't know enough to not chase his father's legacy. He made a big mistake moving up. He could have been one of the best light-heavyweights in history. Instead he was a joke of a heavyweight.

When was Marvis Frazier a light heavyweight? He fought at heavy as an amateur (and had a glass jaw then, too) and was 20+ pounds over the light-heavy limit his whole pro career. He might've been able to get under the cruiserweight limit, but there's no way he could've made it to 175 as an adult.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 AM   #45
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
When was Marvis Frazier a light heavyweight? He fought at heavy as an amateur (and had a glass jaw then, too) and was 20+ pounds over the light-heavy limit his whole pro career. He might've been able to get under the cruiserweight limit, but there's no way he could've made it to 175 as an adult.

I stand corrected. I could have swore I saw a feature several years ago on Marvis and what a great light-heavyweaght he was... I know I saw something on this seveal years ago. Maybe it was about what he [i]could[/] have done as a L-H... which don't mean a damn thing.

I just checked, and the lightest he ever weighed in for any pro fight was 197 1/2.

Note to self: Never try to use your memory after a day spent drinking, cleaning, and staring at a computer screen backing up 60 gigs worth of mp3 files from a failing hard drive, especially when you are stuffed up with a nasty summer head cold. (In a normal case I would have thought "DIdn't I see something about Marvis..." and looked it up.

Now I know about Detroit's own Michael Moorer! I also heard that he got knocked the fuck out by some giant corn-fed redneck at Fishbone's (a downtown expensive place to eat) when he tried to hit on the man's woman...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #46
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
They replied last weekend's fight last night (Friday) on SHO.

But last weekend's fight wasn't a PPV. I just looked at Showtime's Schedule for next weekend and it's not on it. Considering how the fight went, I doubt they'll be any demand to see it, let alone enough demand to get Showtime to change its schedule.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #47
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
But last weekend's fight wasn't a PPV. I just looked at Showtime's Schedule for next weekend and it's not on it. Considering how the fight went, I doubt they'll be any demand to see it, let alone enough demand to get Showtime to change its schedule.

It was a PPV on my Directv system.

SHO (and HBO) often doesn't list the replay right away. I've seen HBO change it day before/day of replay. Also, with it likely being Tyson's final fight, they could get a ratings boost.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #48
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It was a PPV on my Directv system.

Wonder why it was on regular Showtime for cable then.