Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Okay, I'm totally gamed out, I think

I waited around until my son in OOTP5 made it to the draft, but he's only 1.5 stars and not doing very well. I might have waited around to see how his career turned out but not with that low a rating. I've never gotten into FOF4, although I do own it. I played out MTW, OFP, and Madden 2003. Haven't gotten into NHL 2003 for whatever reason. I hate soccer so known of those games appeal to me. I'm Diablo II'd out. I don't like Warcraft III. The game I'm playing the most is StarCraft/Brood War which I acutally still enjoy but I would like something a little newer. I'm not a huge FPS fan and besides most of them make me ill, and I refuse to play MMORPGs. I loved Baldur's Gate and Torment but after those two I couldn't get into the puzzle solving of BG II. Therefore Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind are probably out of the question. I tired GTA III and couldn't get into it.

Maybe my age has finally caught up to me. Dunno. Any ideas out there for games you think are awesome. Just wondering and thanks.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm starting to play a lot less also but I'm getting a little busier now too. I'm sure when NCAA Football 2004 comes out I'll start playing again.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

How about some fantasy/strategy games, like HOMM3/4 or Age of Wonders 2? Or World War II tactical, like Combat Mission?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
astralhaze
College Prospect

I've been playing Medal Of Honor like mad. It is an FPS, but it is quite fun. Not the grab a rail gun and blast uglies type game, it is far more realistic.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
henry296
College Starter

I have been playing TDCB for about a month and still enjoying it despite some of the minor annoyances.

Todd
Old 03-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
Havok
College Starter

You should really give BG2 another try. Thats by far the best game i've ever played. I've beaten it so many times its pointless for me to play it anymore. I even beat it twice with just 1 char.

NWN isnt even close to BG2 imo.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #7
Blade6119
Coordinator

do you own any consoles, because if you own a PS2 final fantasy 10(X) would be an obvious one....maybe the best game ive ever played, falling only to final fantasy 7....if you liked baulders gate, check the final fantasy series out...you can get final fantasy 7/8 on computer, and even though they are older, will always havre the same effect...everybody talks about one part of the game, which you will immedietly know if you play it...made many a grown man cry...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
McSweeny
College Starter

another vote for HOMM3/4
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:36 PM   #9
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

"..Any ideas out there for games you think are awesome.

TC-Friggin'-Y, my friend. You can't beat that!!
Old 03-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #10
SportsDino
College Prospect

I'm a big fan of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 (by the guys who made Torment/BG). You can sometimes even find them together for less than ten bucks which is the biggest steal in gaming. Not exactly new games though, and the storyline is not the typical fantasy (its set after a nuclear war).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
AgPete
College Prospect

Re: Okay, I'm totally gamed out, I think

Wow. You didn't enjoy BG2? I actually had problems getting into BG1 but BG2 is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

Some suggestions if you haven't played them:

Morrowind - If you liked BG1, you may like Morrowind. Same thing but much bigger world and from an FPS point of view. One of the most immersive RPGs I've ever played.

Europa Universalis II - Especially if you enjoy history. It's a fun strategy game and you could probably find EU1 in a bargain bin. EU1 is just as fun. EU2 is basically the same thing with a few more options.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Someone else suggested this and I know you said you hate FPS games but this game is a riot. I usually have some fun with multiplayer FPS games but the singleplayer stuff puts me to sleep. MOH was a blast though and if you like WWII history, you'll get a kick out of this game.

America's Army - Free FPS. Doesn't hurt to download it. If the kids that play FPS games bother you, you may want to try this one because the Army did make it their recruiting game and it's pretty realistic. You find a lot of teamwork and less of the stuff that that drags down other games.

Asheron's Call II - Another genre you may want to try. You said you don't want to play MMORPGs but this game is pretty similar to one you said you enjoyed - Diablo II. It's not as tediuos as some of those other titles that make you play for hours just to equip your character.

Clive Barker's Undying - Another bargain bin game and it is an FPS but if you have good speakers, it's one hell of a story and marching through the haunted mansion is crazy.

Giants Citizen Kabuto - I don't know what else to say other than it's just a fun game. It reminds me of Super Mario Brothers and other Nintendo classics. Just a flat out fun arcade tempo game. Another bargain bin title too.

Black and White - Hey, you get to be a god, nuff said! It's another bargain bin game and some people were turned off by the game's micromanagement of villagers or thought it ended too quick but at its current price, its definitely worth it.

I know how you feel, a lot of games aren't as fun anymore after you grow out of them. For me, another problem is that very few games are original titles. You play on FPS, you've played them all. You play one real time strategy game, you've played them all. etc., etc., etc.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #12
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming if you have more. So far I'm leaning toward giving BG II another chance. It's not that I disliked it, it's just that I started it right after Torment and after all that reading I wasn't in the mood for more tasks and such. Also, pardon me, but what's HOMM3/4?

Tarkus
Old 03-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
step up to a real game

http://www.hpssims.com

anything there should do
Old 03-24-2003, 10:47 PM   #14
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

HOMM = Heroes of Might and Magic
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by SplitPersonality1
HOMM = Heroes of Might and Magic

Ah, so you have to go back to 3 and 4 to get a good one?

Tarkus
Old 03-25-2003, 12:15 AM   #16
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm picking up my copy of gallop racer 2003 tommorrow

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:17 AM   #17
Travis
Pro Rookie

Battlefield 1942. May not be a sympathetic choice with world affairs right now, but the game itself is smooth. With some of the mods that are coming out now (still waiting for the Star Wars one, that'll be nice), it's replay value is huge, and for multiplayer team game, it's nearly unmatchable. Of course the biggest problem is getting a good group of people together for a team, but if you're up for a game, give me a ping
Old 03-25-2003, 12:20 AM   #18
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Even if you don't care for soccer, you still might want to check out Hattrick.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:42 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

HOMM 4 is the newest version. It is different (but in the same universe) from Might and Magic, which is up to like 9 or 10. HOMM 4 is generally considered the worst of the series, with 2 being the high water mark, and 3 being excellent as well. You can probably pick up HOMM 3 with expansions, for like 20 bucks.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:07 PM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I'm picking up my copy of gallop racer 2003 tommorrow

Gallop Racer 2001 was a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the new one will be any better... Really, there's no good thoroughbred racing SIM out there.

Oh, as for game recommendations, I'm a fan of Civ3...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #21
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
HOMM 4 is the newest version. It is different (but in the same universe) from Might and Magic, which is up to like 9 or 10. HOMM 4 is generally considered the worst of the series, with 2 being the high water mark, and 3 being excellent as well. You can probably pick up HOMM 3 with expansions, for like 20 bucks.

I never understood that. I didn't get HOMM4 until after it had been patched so maybe there were serious bugs? It was my favorite of the series though and I still play it on occasion.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:18 PM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Gallop Racer 2001 was a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the new one will be any better... Really, there's no good thoroughbred racing SIM out there.

Gallop Racer has been kicked back a week..According to EB..

But as soon as i get it i will let you know...personally i thought GR2001 was a huge jump ahead of the original GR.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:19 PM   #23
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I finished single-player MOHAA a couple of weeks ago. It is definitely different from the rocket launcher/rail gun set up. Most notable difference is the lack of a "boss" that takes twenty thousand rounds of ammunition to drop. They more than make up for it, however.

The bumper sticker "At any time, at any place, our snipers can drop you. Have a nice day!" comes to mind.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #24
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Gallop Racer has been kicked back a week..According to EB..

But as soon as i get it i will let you know...personally i thought GR2001 was a huge jump ahead of the original GR.

I'd appreciate it. I never played the original GR... I played GR'01 for a while, but grew a little tired of it. There still isn't a thoroughbred sim out there that encapsulates the whole of the business - from training and racing all the way through buying, selling, and breeding. I'm thinking of writing one... ;-)
Old 03-25-2003, 01:52 PM   #25
bbor
Pro Starter

Have you trried simulatedsports.com?

I've been playing it for 2 years now...and i love it....it may have most of the aspects you are looking for.

Old 03-25-2003, 01:59 PM   #26
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Have you trried simulatedsports.com?

I've been playing it for 2 years now...and i love it....it may have most of the aspects you are looking for.

Yes, I have several stables over at simulatedsports.com

It's a good game - but I think there are a few things that are flawed:

* It's not portable, and it's not flexible. You have to be online every week to manage your stables. Game settings are pretty much set in stone. Frankly, I'd prefer to play on my own time... i.e., I'd rather be able to sim an entire season of racing in an afternoon.

* The money/breeding points model stinks. Period.

* Horse management outside of the animal's race career is non-existant. Breeding eliminates animals altogether. You can't retire your horses to stud, and you can't breed mares more than once.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:12 PM   #27
bbor
Pro Starter

What are your stable names?

I think he will be making a lot of improvments on the game after his baby is born.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:33 PM   #28
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
What are your stable names?

I think he will be making a lot of improvments on the game after his baby is born.

I have a few... most haven't raced in quite a while (getting into races - that's another pain...)

fnbrown is my "main" one...
Old 03-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #29
Havok
College Starter

Quote:

NOOO!!!

The day that my Panzer tank got killed buy a Phalanx i turned it off and uninstalled it. The combat is so unrealistic.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #30
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The Britney Spears Dance Game is a nice change. It has provided me hours of satisfaction, if you know what I mean.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I never understood that. I didn't get HOMM4 until after it had been patched so maybe there were serious bugs? It was my favorite of the series though and I still play it on occasion.

Well, it is mostly veterans of the series who hated 4. Taken as itself, it is not that bad. If you had played 2 and 3 to death, 4 tended to be a huge disappointment. Similarly, many Civ I & II veterans hated Civ III. FOF2001 was the first of that series I had played, and I thought it was the best sports management sim ever. I understand many FOF/2 vets did not like it.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:53 PM   #32
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
The Britney Spears Dance Game is a nice change. It has provided me hours of satisfaction, if you know what I mean.

2 miinutes at a time I assume?
Old 03-25-2003, 03:56 PM   #33
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
NOOO!!!

The day that my Panzer tank got killed buy a Phalanx i turned it off and uninstalled it. The combat is so unrealistic.

When was the last time you played it, and what version of the patch were you running?

My experience with 1.29f (and subsequent versions of the PTW expansion) has been much improved.

But, yeah, the anti-tank spearman was a definate problem in the early revisions of the game.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:01 PM   #34
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
2 miinutes at a time I assume?

hell, I haven't even been able to get pass the opening introduction movie clip. This game is "hard"

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 03-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #35
Mountain
Mascot

Although a little old, System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made. It combines RPG with FPS and don't play it in the dark, . . .it will make you jump out of your skin.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:40 AM   #36
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain
Although a little old, System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made. It combines RPG with FPS and don't play it in the dark, . . .it will make you jump out of your skin.

You can also download it for free at the underdogs.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:41 AM   #37
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
hell, I haven't even been able to get pass the opening introduction movie clip. This game is "hard"

LOL
Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #38
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
You can also download it for free at the underdogs.

I'm assuming that's a legal download since you posted it. Is that an accurate assumption, and if so, do you have a link?

Tarkus
Old 03-26-2003, 10:15 AM   #39
Bee
Pro Starter

I think the website is www.the-underdogs.org

The site carries mostly freeware/shareware and older games. If a game is still available to purchase they link to a site that you can buy it, if it is no longer available to purchase or if it's free they often have downloads available. I wanted to buy System Shock 2, but the only place I could find it was Ebay (which I despise). I went to the underdogs site because it usually links to a place where you can buy the software. They had a free download instead of a link to buy it. I asked where I could buy it on a couple boards (including here) and the only answer I got was Ebay. I assume it's abandonware at this point. Generally, if a company doesn't want their software provided as abandonware they will contact the underdogs and it will be taken down, otherwise they provide the download. I know Sierra had several games they didn't want provided because they were planning on releasing "new" versions and the underdogs took that software down. From my understanding the law is a little unclear and has resulted in a lot of debate on the subject. I think the underdogs is generally one of the more respected sites that deal with abandonware and have gotten permission from most of the companies to carry the older software.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #40
Calis
College Starter

You see, that's where the lines of legality get a bit fuzzy. Abandonware is kinda an iffy business, I actually just picked up a copy of SS2 at EB about two weeks ago. I'm not really sure if it's legal or not, I mean...the game IS still sold in some stores, so I would think no, but it's a tough one to find. I would perosnally exhaust any options you have at buying it, it's cheap, and well worth the money paid.

As far as games to play, if you own a PS2, I can't recommend Dark Cloud 2 highly enough. I would say it's the best console RPG I ever played, it's about 10x more fun to me than any of the FF series were. It's a strange game, mixing a lot of elements of action/adventure/RPG/strategy/golf/ fishing/ and even simulation. Phew, that was a mouthful. Anywho, great game and I've really enjoyed playing it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:36 AM   #41
Bee
Pro Starter

That's interesting that you found a copy at EB. I called all the local stores around here that I know and was told several times it's no longer available. One guy even told me I could download it from the internet (LOL).
Old 03-26-2003, 10:41 AM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I would guess that your particular EB just had one laying around for years. I don't think getting it from the underdogs is a problem at this point. YMMV.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #43
Calis
College Starter

Hah, that's ironic. Yeah, I was actually surprised I found it there, I went to a store I'd never been to before, and they had a buncha old school games.

Anywho, even by DL'ing it, not like you're stealing money from the Devs, I think I paid 3 bucks for my copy.

I was dearly hoping that EB would have a copy of Thief Gold as well, which appears to be near impossible to hunt down.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote