Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
heybrad
Norm!!!

Suggestions on my biggest Hattrick complaint?

I have some cash since I won my division and played in a qualifying game. I cant seem to buy any players because I get sniped on my bids at the last second every time.

Is this standard operating procedure with hattrick and should I be doing it myself. Its annoying as hell.

heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
Brillig
College Prospect

That's not supposed to be possible - every time there's a bid, the auction time is extended three minutes, assuming that the end is closer than that time.

From what I've seen, the auto-extension has been working for me... Are you online at the time the auction is scheduled to end?
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

If you really want a player, try to be there when it ends, so you can come back with a bid. And if someone bids with three minutes or something like that left, then addistional time is added to the deadline.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
JHandley
High School Varsity

For what it's worth, if a bid is made in the last minute of the auction, the auction is prolonged another 3 minutes.

It's been my experience to simply sort out the players you won't be able to watch until the bitter end.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Hey brad! (I know it must be getting old )

Do just what the others are saying. At one point, I wasn't getting any luck, then I tried going after mostly players with deadlines coming at a time I knew I'd be online. Then you can start the bid fight Thrilling. Don't forget to set yourself a limit as to what you are willing to pay for a player. It's easy to get caught up and forget about it and then you pay way too much for a player not really worth it...

FrogMan.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #6
heybrad
Norm!!!

Good advice. Thanks everyone. I hadnt always watched to the end. I was usually within 10 minutes or so. This last one pissed me off because I did stay on and somehow I missed that another team had bid.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Tell me about it Frogman. I once duked it out from 25,000 to 150,000 in a matter of ten minutes. Then I gave up, and lost. The whole time I kept telling myself, I'm only going up to 80,000 then I'm only going to 90,000.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by heybrad
Good advice. Thanks everyone. I hadnt always watched to the end. I was usually within 10 minutes or so. This last one pissed me off because I did stay on and somehow I missed that another team had bid.

Yeah, if you don't watch 'em until the deadline passes, you usually don't get many. I think I got only 2 or 3 of my 20 purchases when I wasn't online at the time of the deadline. And they were crapshoot bids like 1K for 32 year old inadequate defender He did fill a gap for a few weeks though.

Also, what has really helped me is getting supporter status. There is a "bookmark" option where you can bookmark players, teams, league, and matches. I usually search for players in the market with some specific ratings, say passable scoring/passable passing for a forward. When I find a cheap one, I place a first bid. When a team outbids me, I simply go to the player's page and bookmark him. In the bookmark section, the players are placed with the ones closest to their deadline at the top of the list, so it makes it easy to keep track of players you might want to check on right before the deadline passes...

FrogMan.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:07 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Luckily for me I just started a team so with the players I'm bidding on have no competition.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:09 PM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by heybrad
This last one pissed me off because I did stay on and somehow I missed that another team had bid.

That happened to me before. Suffice it to say I was frustrated (a tad). When I had money to play in the market [seems so long ago], I had to manually refresh that screen a few times to get it to refresh with the new bids. The thing that worked best for me was to re-do the search all over. Good luck!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote