Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Kudos to Curt Schilling

What great gesture by him and his family:

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBQNFPR9DE.html

Quote:
BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and wife Shonda paid to fly a New Orleans family of nine to Boston and pledged to provide them with housing for a year.

The Fields family, with seven children between the ages of 5 and 12, fled New Orleans just before Hurricane Katrina struck. They spent the past week at an Atlanta hotel with the help of a charitable organization.

"When we realized how many people had nowhere to go, we didn't just want to make a donation," Shonda Schilling told The Boston Globe. "We decided we wanted to bring an entire family here and put them up."

The families connected through a Web site, openyourhome.com, which matches displaced families with people willing to house them. The Schillings registered Friday and on Saturday anonymously arranged for the family to fly to Boston.

"He said, 'I would like to help you,'" Efrem Fields, 31, told The Globe in a phone interview from his hotel. "He didn't say who he was."

Fields and his wife, Shelita, 28, and their kids met the Schillings at the hotel. Fields said his new friend looked familiar.

"I said 'Wait a second, I know this guy,'" said Fields, a baseball fan. "Schilling ... Schilling, there's only one Schilling I know, and he's a baseball player. It blew my mind."

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What's the over/under on the number of posts until the "Schilling only did this to further his public perception" comment?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

Curt Schilling for President!
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
What's the over/under on the number of posts until the "Schilling only did this to further his public perception" comment?

I'll take "Under 2". I win!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I'll take "Under 2". I win!

It wasn't my comment; I think what he did is pretty cool. Hell, I still like Schilling for taking my Phillies as far as he did in 1993. Other people, though...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
miked
College Starter

I help raise money for and play in charity games for Curt's Pitch for ALS. The dude is a machine. Within days of moving to Boston, he already hooked up the organization and spends tons of time and good money for the ALS foundation.

Edit: About the last thing he needs in Boston is publicity. He could go 0-15 for the rest of his career, but he brought the WS to Boston.

Last edited by miked : 09-06-2005 at 11:58 AM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Schilling is a big dumb Ox with a heart of gold.. He will always be a champion to me..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Schilling is a big dumb Ox with a heart of gold.. He will always be a champion to me..

His hobbbies would tend to conflict with the "dumb ox" description. He's a frikken nerd.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
His hobbbies would tend to conflict with the "dumb ox" description. He's a frikken nerd.

You are right, but sometimes I believe what he thinks gets messed up with what really comes out of his mouth. Not the great with words, but always loves to get a word in..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote