Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
JW
College Prospect

FYI, LSU-Tennessee game moved to Monday night.

It appeared the options were to play Saturday night as scheduled, with too much uncertainty due to Rita, to play Sunday, to play Monday, or to simply cancel the game (short of the SECCG being delayed a week). It has been, to say the least, a very unusual season thusfar for LSU. Of course other universities like Tulane have been affected as much or more, and I haven't even begun to figure out what this might do to any games in east Texas this weekend.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&ATCLID=189956

LSU-UT Moved to Monday, Sept. 26, at 6:30 p.m.
Courtesy: LSU Interactive
Release: 09/22/2005
BATON ROUGE -- The Southeastern Conference has determined the Tennessee at LSU football game, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 24, has been moved to Monday, Sept. 26, Commissioner Mike Slive announced.

The change in the date was caused by concerns about Hurricane Rita. The game will be played at 6:30 p.m. CT and televised by ESPN2 from Tiger Stadium on the LSU campus.

"After reviewing all of the information I felt this was the best decision for the game. The safety of our student-athletes, coaches and fans is our priority," said Slive. "I understand this puts a burden on LSU and its administration, however, the travel safety issues necessitate this decision."

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Galaxy
Coordinator

ESPN2? Not even ESPN?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
ESPN2? Not even ESPN?
ESPN has The Kalamazoo Poker semis at that time.
Wasnt CBS suppose to cover the game? Wonder why they dont just pre-emp their beloved line up for the game?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nope CS, this has been set as an ESPN game for quite a while now.
CBS only does selected games in Saturday prime, not every weekend.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Tigercat
College Starter

CBS could have done this game on primetime or at 330 but they didn't have a choice, CBS can choose the best SEC game to air whenever they want almost every week of the year, but a couple of weeks out of the year ESPN gets to choose the best game first. This weekend was one of ESPNs few choose first weekends and ESPN chose the LSU vs UT game in advance.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And in a related story

UGA-Miss. State kickoff time changed

From staff reports

The kickoff time for Saturday's Georgia-Mississippi State game has been moved to 7:45 p.m.
The Georgia Sports Information Department made the announcement late Friday morning. The game will be broadcast on either ESPN or ESPN2, and a final decision on that is expected this afternoon.
The earlier time slot opened when the LSU-Tenneessee game was postponed due to Hurricane Rita.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Tennessee was ready to forfeit if LSU game, AD says

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Third-ranked LSU would have been guaranteed a victory over Tennessee if Saturday night's game in Baton Rouge had not been postponed to Monday.

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said Friday the No. 10 Volunteers were ready to forfeit the game if the team had to travel Saturday despite the threat of Hurricane Rita.

"If we felt like it would be unfair to our student-athletes and not safe for our student-athletes, we were prepared to forfeit the game," Hamilton said.

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive announced Thursday the game would be moved for safety reasons. Kickoff was set for 7:30 p.m. EDT and will be televised on ESPN2.

LSU officials preferred to have the game played Saturday or Sunday.

"We will now face significant logistical challenges, but we hope for the continued cooperation of our fans," LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said. "Naturally our strong preference would have been to play during the weekend, but safety for student-athletes, fans and everyone else involved in a football game was the overriding factor for the commissioner."

Rita was headed toward the Texas-Louisiana coast and forecast to make landfall late Friday or early Saturday. Baton Rouge was under a tropical storm warning on Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

Hamilton contacted the SEC office earlier this week to talk about the potential for problems related to the storm. The Vols had planned to fly to Baton Rouge on Saturday morning because of a lack of hotel rooms. Now they will travel Monday morning.

When Rita's path turned more to the north and east, Tennessee pushed harder for a change. Coach Phillip Fulmer was against having the game on Saturday and advocated moving it to the end of the year.

The SEC checked into making the conference championship game in Atlanta a week later to accommodate a Tennessee-LSU game at the end of the regular season, but there was a scheduling conflict with a convention, Hamilton said.

Hurricane Katrina already has forced changes for LSU's football team. The Tigers' had their season opener postponed and their home game against Arizona State two weeks ago moved to Tempe, Ariz.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote