Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Unhappy The Haunted Toilet, and other Household Mysteries

Our toilet is haunted.

Every so often...quite frequently, as a matter of fact...it will suddenly sound as if it's filling up for about 10 seconds or so. This is especially fun when you are sitting on it (i.e., taking a dump).

I am not mechanical, nor plumbericious. I assume this has something to do with the rubber sealer thingy? Or perhaps an exorcism is in order.

Next mystery...

How the hell do you re-seat the sink drain stopper rod thingy? You know, that metal thing that you push down and the sink stopper opens, and you pull up and the sink stopper closes. Well, the stopper part came out, and I don't have a damn clue how to get it attached inside the drain again. Remember, I am neither mechanical or plumbericious. My best guess would be to push the metal rod down into the hole, rotate the stopper part 90 degrees, and then chant some sort of plumber spell from D&D while adjusting my pants to show off my butt crack.

A little help?

Next mystery...

We have an outside lamp that turns on and off via photocell. I think that's the term...my brother got the electrical genes. Anyway, I changed the bulb not two or three weeks ago, and now suddenly the damn thing won't come on. This always happens. The bulb package says something like "Longer lasting! Up to 10,000,000 hours!" and mine last, like, 257 hours. Is that due to some wild electrical shenanigans? Gremlins? Bad wattage? Too strong a voltage? Or...and I get a tingle just saying this...too few amperes?

Next mystery...

Cat litter boxes. They need walls about eight feet high, cause the little bastards love to kick litter all over the damn basement. And then they poop or piss in the clumps on the floor. WTF?!?

Last edited by WSUCougar : 10-03-2005 at 02:37 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Wash the cat, electrocute it in the outside lamp and flush it down the toilet. Problems solved.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Get an exorcist...or Carrot Top. Whichever is cheaper.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

No help.

Come on now. When I had an Excel question I had an answer in 30 seconds. SURELY THERE'S AN FOFC BOB VILLA OUT THERE READING THIS?!?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
No help.

Come on now. When I had an Excel question I had an answer in 30 seconds. SURELY THERE'S AN FOFC BOB VILLA OUT THERE READING THIS?!?

it's hit or miss with me
Old 10-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

1. Probably a bad seal.. just leaks a bit until it hits the point where the float drops and water fills in. My toilet does the same thing, I just haven't replaced the insides yet..

2. Stick your head under the sink. Rod should drop down through a lever that connects to the drain. The bolt that holds this in place might have came loose..

3. Common reasons a bulb burns out. Over voltage.. check with a multimeter. Too high of wattage can cause heating issues, reducing the life of the bulb. Stress (vibration.. bulbs under a stair case, garage door, etc..). So, test or get a lower wattage bulb and check that the bulb isn't getting too hot or get a bulb better suited for the place it is in.

4. Get a dog.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I used to try and fix plumbing stuff myself. Now I've got a plumber I trust. I pay them $70 or so, they come over and spend 20 minutes fixing the 3 or 4 things that I would spend all weekend fixing and not get correct. It's the best $70 I spend every 6 months or so.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Real answers! w00t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
1. Probably a bad seal.. just leaks a bit until it hits the point where the float drops and water fills in. My toilet does the same thing, I just haven't replaced the insides yet.
Do you know if that seal is easy to replace, or do I need a whole new set of toilet guts?

Quote:
2. Stick your head under the sink. Rod should drop down through a lever that connects to the drain. The bolt that holds this in place might have came loose..
I'll try that tonight.

Quote:
3. Common reasons a bulb burns out. Over voltage.. check with a multimeter. Too high of wattage can cause heating issues, reducing the life of the bulb. Stress (vibration.. bulbs under a stair case, garage door, etc..). So, test or get a lower wattage bulb and check that the bulb isn't getting too hot or get a bulb better suited for the place it is in.
What would be typical wattage for an outdoor lamp? Or is there one?

Quote:
4. Get a dog.
Get a goldfish is more like it.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Get a goldfish is more like it.

You have to change some of their tank water every stinkin' weekend. And it's not simple like it used to be, there's this gravel vaccuum thing you have to plunge up-and-down into the water until it gets some suction going, then use it to suck up and clean the gravel while 20% or so of the tank water gets siphoned out. Then you have to reseat all the plants in the gravel after pouring the new water in, as that's going to mess up all the gravel. And oh yeah, you have to have filled your replacement bucket a few hours earlier so it reaches room temperature to match the temperature of the water you are replacing.

For some reason taking care of goldfish isn't as easy as I remember it being 20 years ago...
Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
You have to change some of their tank water every stinkin' weekend. And it's not simple like it used to be, there's this gravel vaccuum thing you have to plunge up-and-down into the water until it gets some suction going, then use it to suck up and clean the gravel while 20% or so of the tank water gets siphoned out. Then you have to reseat all the plants in the gravel after pouring the new water in, as that's going to mess up all the gravel. And oh yeah, you have to have filled your replacement bucket a few hours earlier so it reaches room temperature to match the temperature of the water you are replacing.

For some reason taking care of goldfish isn't as easy as I remember it being 20 years ago...

Just flush. Get a new goldfish. Repeat.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Sounds like you're on your way now, but Home Depot carries some awesome books on Home Repair. Also, I've got a few books from the Black and Decker series that are worth their weight in gold. I believe they still sell them at Home Depot as well. I've really liked the Black and Decker household plumbing repairs book.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Real answers! w00t

Do you know if that seal is easy to replace, or do I need a whole new set of toilet guts?.

Hmm.. can't remember from the last one I replaced if it had that piece or not. It could be the refill valve too so, maybe you might want to replace the whole thing. I think it is if your tank's water is dropping and refilling I believe it is the gasket in the middle (flush valve or whatever it is called..) and if it is staying the same, it is your refill valve. Hell, if it is doing it often, you might even put some dye in the tank and see where it is being drawn too.. Of course, you still might want to do that. If you put some food coloring in the water tank and let it sit and then overnight the color bleed to the bowl, definitely have a leak.

On the second piece, I read it wrong. Thought the handle for the stopper came off but, the stopper came out. You should be able to just push the rod down so it would be in the open position and wiggle the stopper back in. (There is a little room).

Typical wattage.. not sure there is a typical wattage just more believe it is related to the voltage you have and how bright you want it... not sure what you are currently using but, you might want to step down. Of course, if your voltage is still high you are going to burn bulbs quicker....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Our toilet is haunted.

Every so often...quite frequently, as a matter of fact...it will suddenly sound as if it's filling up for about 10 seconds or so. This is especially fun when you are sitting on it (i.e., taking a dump).

I am not mechanical, nor plumbericious. I assume this has something to do with the rubber sealer thingy? Or perhaps an exorcism is in order.

Here's the solution:

Actually, I'm not very plumbericious either but I've had that problem before and managed to fix it on an old toilet of mine. Basically, every month or so, it would start doing this. What I would have to do is open it up, bend the thin metal rod towards the down position and that would fix it. What was happening was that my level would bend it ever so slightly so that eventually it would be bent out of shape. This would cause the little floater thingie on the end to not go down as far as it needed to so the stopper that let water in would not stay all the way down and would let water seep in from time-to-time.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-03-2005 at 10:17 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Real answers! w00t

Do you know if that seal is easy to replace, or do I need a whole new set of toilet guts?

I think I paid a buck for a replacement seal at Menards. Just turn off the water, lift the seal, let the water drain out, detach the seal from the chain and the pin(s) holding it at the pivot point, and attach the new seal. You might have to adjust the chain to get it to the right length. Then turn the water back on and take a dump. By the way, our toilet was fine until my wife put in one of those Toilet Duck drop-ins in the tank ... I think that chemical deformed the original seal.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #15
twothree
College Prospect

This web page may be of some help...

http://www.nwrenovation.com/toilethiss.html
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

In regards to question number four, get a litter box with a lid. It closes off three sides that litter could escape out of and if you put a litter catching matt outside of the entrance it makes clean-up from that area a breeze...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #17
KevinNU7
College Starter

Cats can climb, so cut out the top of Jeeber's litter box and close the opening in the front. Make the damn cat climb into the litter box
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
You should be able to just push the rod down so it would be in the open position and wiggle the stopper back in. (There is a little room)
Gave this a quick try this morning, but pushing the rod down doesn't seem to do anything visible in the drain. I do see the "lever action" under the sink. The stopper has a plastic fitting that goes into the drain and hooks onto something, but I don't see what/how it would do so if nothing projects horizontally into the drain when the rod gets pushed down.

Quote:
Cats can climb, so cut out the top of Jeeber's litter box and close the opening in the front. Make the damn cat climb into the litter box
Kidding aside, this is actually what I was considering. One of ours cats is a really paranoid calico, and I doubt she'd even go in a litter box "cave" (enclosed lid).
Old 10-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #19
Buzzbee
College Starter

Here is another site that has a little more info and also some illustrations.

http://www.toiletology.com/howtofix.shtml

This is a pretty simple project and you don't have to be plumbericious to do it. If in doubt, the people at Home Depot or Lowe's should be able to point you to the right part/parts and answer any questions you have. You most likely only need the flapper, but even replacing the whole flushing mechanism isn't really too daunting a task. You'll most likely end up buying the 'repair kit' rather than just the flapper anyway, so might as well teach yourself a little plumbing.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #20
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola - Here is a pretty good diagram for the sink stopper and some instructions. Again, the people at Home Depot or Lowe's should be able to point you to the parts and answer any questions.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../rightNavHowTo
Old 10-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Waaaaaake up Cougar family! I'll help ya!

Last edited by rkmsuf : 10-04-2005 at 01:18 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM   #22
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kidding aside, this is actually what I was considering. One of ours cats is a really paranoid calico, and I doubt she'd even go in a litter box "cave" (enclosed lid).

Start off by giving her a lil push towards the door.. she'll likely protest all to hell.. so let her go..

Visably set something that the cat will come to, bowl of food, favorite toy, ect.. inside the litter box then remove it when she gets in.

Worked for my cat anyway. Just a matter of getting her comfortable where she knows nothing is going to hurt her inside.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote