Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Being the Umpire Sucks

So I'm standing there at my kids little league game and the coach walks up and says, "We need you to ump the game since the umpire's aren't around and you are perfect for the job."

I never umped in my life but I say, "Sure no problem." The first time I call a close call, they start yelling at me. Kids, parents, coaches. Damn, what a nightmare, I couldn't wait for the game to be over.

My son had a nice base-hit that scored a run to put our team up by one. Ultimately we did lose 5-4 on two bases loaded walks at the end.

But the real point of this is in a humorous moment, the opposing team,s pitcher says, "What the score?"

And without thinking I say, "We're up 4-3."

He doesn't say anything but looks at me kind of cock-eyed to which I correct myself, "I mean, you know, *they* are up 4-3."

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Desnudo
Coordinator

I've always wondered how, or why, refs do what they do.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
The first time I call a close call, they start yelling at me. Kids, parents, coaches.

LOL
Old 05-25-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I started umpiring when I was 11 or 12 for our church softball league (teams had to supply the umpires for the game before/after thier game, and as the coaches son I was usually nominated). I loved the close call. Best part of the game.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Fouts
College Starter

I did the same thing this past weekend. Without a chest protector, I had to stand behind the pitchers mound. Made it difficult to call balls and strikes while trying to determine if they were too low/high.

Only problem I had was when I overheard somebody say that a ground ball had went foul down the line. I knew it was fair when it went past first, but they were basing on where it ended up. Nobody challenged me though.

Made it through the game, but it was harder than I imagined for 2 hours of volunteer work.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

I did some umpiring work for T-ball when I was in high school. It was mostly okay, 'cept for the occasional parent outraged because some other kid made a great play to get their kid out.

"Whaddaya mean Johnny's out, blue?!"

"Sir, he ran down the third base line, sat down on the bag, and started picking his nose. The other kids actually know what the hell they're doing. Did you see their shortstop get the ball and throw it to first? Go sit down before I have to throw you outta here."

He tried to continue, and I told him that not only was I going to throw him out, I was going to declare a forfeit in favor of the other team. That shut him up in a hurry, and I never had a problem with another parent.

'Course, I only did it the one season...
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I have been umpiring for several years now and I just started calling OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) and I love it. After a couple years you don't even hear the gripping from the fans/coaches. For the 9 years I've been umpiring I have yet to throw anyone out but in the beginning I wanted to. Like I said - you just learn to have very selective hearing when you make a close call. And if I blow a ball/strike I figured I see nearly 200 pitches a game - if I blow two or three it's no big deal. The key is to be consistent and you wont have many complaints - all you'll hear is "He's been calling the
outside strike all day". I actually like to hear that from a coach when I kid complains about a strike I called.

You all should try it if you like the game of baseball - just don't let the gripping get the best of you and you'll enjoy it!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
I have been umpiring for several years now and I just started calling OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association)

Edit:

I suppose I should explain that I have a problem with OHSAA umps this year for a few reason, mainly being the rules of emphasis are not emphasized. Primarily the batter attempting to avoid being hit by a pitch. We preach to our kids about throwing inside so we naturally hit a batter or two a game, so it seems anyway. Only once have I seen the this rule of emphasis enforced and of course it was against our batter who was drilled in the back by a fast ball and he had no chance of getting out of the way. I've seen at least 5 times a player reach out his elbow or leg to get hit and the plate ump refuses to call it.

Basically in NW Ohio the amount of quality and integrity of umpires has went down significantally in the past few years, overall it punishes the kids.

Just the other day we sent a kid up to pinch hit and told him to report himself, he forgot by the time he got up there so we called time to report him to the ump. The ump would not award us time, the batter was asking for time and the ump would not give it to him and he told the pitcher to pitch. Of course it was a fastball right down the middle for a strike because our batter was looking at the ump asking for time. Did he ever consider the batter's safety?

I could go on for days with the stuff I have seen this year, I'm thinking it is mainly in NW Ohio though. I am hoping at least.

Last edited by Balldog : 05-25-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And without thinking I say, "We're up 4-3."

I find that really really funny for some reason.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:06 AM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

you mean why being a ref? Honestly, I don't know why, or a good reason for doing it Honestly, I was a hockey referee for 8 years, soccer referee for 7 years and, well, you get yelled at more than anything... You do grow a thicker skin though.

Being a ref, and dispatching soccer refs later on, have been my only student jobs all the way to college. Gotta say it kept me in shape and close to the sport... Maybe you could say we do it for the same reason that some people volunteer to help, because even though it pays a little, you give back some. I don't know...

FM
Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #11
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Last year I watched one of the GREATEST at-bats EVER. It was our #9 hitter. First pitch flies into his back. He starts to go to first and the ump tells him to get back to the plate because he didn't "make an attempt". So he goes back. Next pitch. Hits him in the leg. Tries to go to first again, ump tells him the same thing. Third pitch. Hits him, this time he just stands there while the ump says "no attempt". Fourth pitch, hits him but he finally gets to take his base. Our coach was livid.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Last year I watched one of the GREATEST at-bats EVER. It was our #9 hitter. First pitch flies into his back. He starts to go to first and the ump tells him to get back to the plate because he didn't "make an attempt". So he goes back. Next pitch. Hits him in the leg. Tries to go to first again, ump tells him the same thing. Third pitch. Hits him, this time he just stands there while the ump says "no attempt". Fourth pitch, hits him but he finally gets to take his base. Our coach was livid.

At that point, I think I would have pulled the team from the field and quit. I'd cite the safety of the kids as the reason. There is NO way a kid should be hit 4 times with a baseball in one at bat.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:36 AM   #13
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:

That is sick... He must have been one of those "Look at me" kind of umpire.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 AM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

You have to admire the pitcher's consistency.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:02 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had to ump Girls Softball for 2 summers when I was in HS. Worst experience of my life. All we got was 15 bucks a game, and people bitched constantly about strikes and balls, and calls in general. Thankfully the local league decided to pass some rules that our local umpire organization was against(the black strike mat being one), and we stopped umping there. Basically the only reason i did it was cause some woman who worked with my dad at the elementary school asked if i would be interested. And my dad told me i had to do it, or i wouldnt get any allowance all summer.

Last edited by stevew : 05-25-2005 at 08:19 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:15 AM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I umpired kids baseball as a part-time job when I was younger. It was not pleasant. The kids aren't bad, the coaches are OK, but the parents are a mess.

Beyond the questions of sportsmanship, etc., how can these parents not realize that the very last thing a 12-year-old kid wants is for his parents to make a spectacle of themselves. I've seen kids crying on the bench because daddy wouldn't shut and was humiliating him in front of everyone he knew.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 AM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When I played baseball as a kid I never once noticed all these nightmare parents I read about now. Have things gotten that much worse in 10 years or is no one wound tight enough in southern New Hampshire .

I've seen a coach and a player act up now and then, but that's it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM   #18
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A few weeks ago, I was asked to ump between two base teams in softball. One team didn't care. They were swinging at everything.

The other team complained over and over. Balls and strikes. Close calls. Any and everything. I could hear them saying they hoped I wasn't a regular umpire somewhere.

And they won.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I umpired kids baseball as a part-time job when I was younger. It was not pleasant. The kids aren't bad, the coaches are OK, but the parents are a mess.

Beyond the questions of sportsmanship, etc., how can these parents not realize that the very last thing a 12-year-old kid wants is for his parents to make a spectacle of themselves. I've seen kids crying on the bench because daddy wouldn't shut and was humiliating him in front of everyone he knew.

don't know how, but they simply don't. I mean, I've been spit on by parents when coming off the ice after a 12yo hockey game, how crazy can you be to get to that point? Even worse, the spitting parent wasn't even a dad, it a mom, and no, before you all ask, she wasn't cute

FM
Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
Scholes
High School Varsity

I used to ump 12 and 13 year old baseball and soccer around here. My favorite baseball story is when there was a play at the plate, and the baserunner simply dove over the catcher, but also the base. The catcher never tagged him, either though. The kid got up, brushed himself off a bit, and started trotting toward the dugout. I hadn't made a call yet. The catcher was still just sitting there, dumbfounded. The runner's coach finally realized what was going on, and walked toward the runner, whispered in his ear, and walked away. The runner jogged back to the plate, the catcher just watched him touch it, and I called safe. The parents started going berserk. I liked how instead of panicking and yelling, the runner's coach was calm and didn't call attention to the fact that the catcher hadn't tagged him.

In soccer, let's just say I may have ruled a goal as a non-goal, and had to run to the parking lot where my dad was waiting to drive me home because there were a lot of pissed off parents walking briskly toward me.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #21
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes
I used to ump 12 and 13 year old baseball and soccer around here. My favorite baseball story is when there was a play at the plate, and the baserunner simply dove over the catcher, but also the base. The catcher never tagged him, either though. The kid got up, brushed himself off a bit, and started trotting toward the dugout. I hadn't made a call yet. The catcher was still just sitting there, dumbfounded. The runner's coach finally realized what was going on, and walked toward the runner, whispered in his ear, and walked away. The runner jogged back to the plate, the catcher just watched him touch it, and I called safe. The parents started going berserk. I liked how instead of panicking and yelling, the runner's coach was calm and didn't call attention to the fact that the catcher hadn't tagged him.

In soccer, let's just say I may have ruled a goal as a non-goal, and had to run to the parking lot where my dad was waiting to drive me home because there were a lot of pissed off parents walking briskly toward me.

Actually depending on the possibility of revised little league rules the runner would have been ruled out. You are not allowed to dive, jump, or hurdle over a position player making a play

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 05-25-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #22
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I have umpired for the past couple of years, i've done coach pitch, softball (all ages) and am just this summer starting to do baseball ages 9-14. Well last weekend GE and I umpired a tournament in Greenwood, MS. GE has umpired competitive baseball for the past 7 years, btw. It was a USSSA state qualifier so we had some pretty decent teams and both GE and I made 300 dollars cash at the tournament.

Anyway, before the championship game on Sunday we had a couple of fans come up to us and say this game was going to get heated, both teams were from Greenville, Ms (the gonorrea capital of the United States) and were both full of some trashy redneck fans. Well the game ended without a hitch, it wasn't really that close of a game, the pitcher for one of the teams, a 10 year old black boy hit it clear over the 200 foot fence, and that decided the game.

This is where the 'fun' begins. GE and I are walking off of the field and he wants to stop at the concession stand and get pizza, its free to the umpires. On our way to get the food a hillbilly from the losing team comes up to us and says 'Can't fucking call worth a damn' and GE smiles and says thank you (as he has been told to do over the years) and I cooly reply with a 'you're hot fella' and walk away. About three steps later another person comes up and pretty much says the same thing, but we ignore them. While GE and I are at the concession stand waiting on his much needed pizza, a woman comes up to me and calls me a bitch. Now although i've been told just to smile at fans when they are mad, I snapped cuz that was my 12th game in 48 hours and I was tired of it. She flicked me off, I did the same back, she said 'throw me out now won'tcha' and i called her a trashy redneck and told her i felt sorry for her children. That must have really pissed her off because she threw her bottle of water at me and totally missed but almost hit GE. GE said okay, lets call the police and she hightailed it out of there real quick. It is just ridiculous the way fans act today. It really disturbed me because there were NO close plays the whole entire game, but they were so mad their team lost they had to blame somebody. Because heaven forbid it was their child's fault he gave up a homer or had an error. Nope, its the umpires fault. But anyway, i'm over it because I made 300 dollars and she didn't. So I win.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #23
Scholes
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Actually depending on the possibility of revised little league rules the runner would have been ruled out. You are not allowed to dive, jump, or hurdle over a position player making a play

Yeah, but I got caught up in the moment. It was a hell of a dive.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #24
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

Do you mean why we actually go out there day after day and ref/umpire? Well I make 50 dollars a night Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday working two league games. GE, up in Southaven, makes about 70 a night doing the same thing. No taxes taken out or anything. Snowden Grove park, in Southaven, has a tournament almost every weekend from the first weekend in April until the last week in July. Every weekend GE and I make anywhere from 180-270 dollars a weekend. And there are three World Series tournaments coming up in July and we can make about 500 dollars each that week. It's pretty good money for college and high school students who don't want a regular job.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #25
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

All of this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about the High School football games I am going to Ref starting this fall.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #26
markprior22
High School Varsity

I coach my son's 11-12 year old baseball team. I refuse to argue with umpires at this level. First of all, they won't (shouldn't) change their call. Secondly, I think it sets a terrible example for the kids. I will ask for an explanation if it is a "rules" issue. I also agree that, in an above post, I definitely would have taken some action if I had a kid hit 4 times in an at bat. As far as fair/foul, bang bang plays, I figure the umps are doing their best and nothing I can do (i.e. yelling...making a scene) will add anything positive to the situation.

Being the mgr, I coach 3B. We had a kid called out on a very close play (he wouldn't slide even though I was adamantly telling him to). Ump called him out and came up to me between innings asking if he got the play right. I told him, "I don't know...it was extremely close...but the kid should have been sliding. Probably would have made it then." He agreed and now we always talk before games when we see each other.

For you guys that ump youth sports...just do your best and thanks for volunteering.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #27
markprior22
High School Varsity

Dola...I know it is often a paid position (as opposed to volunteer as I stated above) but I appreciate the people who step up and take on the challenge.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
Do you mean why we actually go out there day after day and ref/umpire? Well I make 50 dollars a night Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday working two league games. GE, up in Southaven, makes about 70 a night doing the same thing. No taxes taken out or anything. Snowden Grove park, in Southaven, has a tournament almost every weekend from the first weekend in April until the last week in July. Every weekend GE and I make anywhere from 180-270 dollars a weekend. And there are three World Series tournaments coming up in July and we can make about 500 dollars each that week. It's pretty good money for college and high school students who don't want a regular job.

Geez, I only got $12 and a hot dog. I should have gotten an agent.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 AM   #29
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

To be honest I ump for the love of the game - yeah the $$$ is an added bonus but I would still ump (just maybe not as many games as I do) as a volunteer for the game and the kids. I truely do enjoy it...

High School games I make $45 a game
Little League games I make $30 a game

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #30
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
I coach my son's 11-12 year old baseball team. I refuse to argue with umpires at this level. First of all, they won't (shouldn't) change their call. Secondly, I think it sets a terrible example for the kids. I will ask for an explanation if it is a "rules" issue. I also agree that, in an above post, I definitely would have taken some action if I had a kid hit 4 times in an at bat. As far as fair/foul, bang bang plays, I figure the umps are doing their best and nothing I can do (i.e. yelling...making a scene) will add anything positive to the situation.

Being the mgr, I coach 3B. We had a kid called out on a very close play (he wouldn't slide even though I was adamantly telling him to). Ump called him out and came up to me between innings asking if he got the play right. I told him, "I don't know...it was extremely close...but the kid should have been sliding. Probably would have made it then." He agreed and now we always talk before games when we see each other.

For you guys that ump youth sports...just do your best and thanks for volunteering.

That's a very good attitude you got there, only wished all coaches were like that. I also knew parents/coaches that were "cool" when I was a referee and it was always a pleasure refereeing their games, even though they wouldn't always agree with my calls. I remember a U12 soccer tournament I used to go ref every Summer, even though I was up to refereeing Senior games. Just liked going there because the mentality was good and all. I was more experienced and usually was the ref of choice for the final game of the tournament, at least the last 2 or 3 years I was there and I kept getting good comments, sometimes from parents out of nowhere, parents that were telling me I had been the ref for a couple of games for their son and they liked how I was fair. I guess this is also part of why we do it. You expect to be criticized and sometimes yelled at, but hearing somebody tell you you did a good game, it felt very good. That's why I try to thank refs after games now, whenever I walk by them.

FM
Old 05-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #31
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

as for money being good, can't say it was. In my last season, I was at a pretty high level of hockey officiating, being a linesman for The Quebec Midget AAA provincial league (the one that feed the QMJHL) and for the Junior A league (the level right below Major Junior hockey) and we were getting $25 per game. A hockey game is 2.5 hours, we had to be in the locker room an hour before the game, and often were officiating out of town. It wasn't for the money, more for the trip of officiating big games, with the crowd and all...

FM
Old 05-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I worked for the Blacksburg Parks & Rec Dept when I was an undergrad and umpired 8-10 year old games for a few years. The only time the I remember anyone having a bad reaction to a call was on a ground ball up the middle that the shortstop (coach's son) scooped up and went for the 6-3 double play. He fielded it cleanly, went to step on second and threw to first....the only problem was that he missed second by a few feet. I called the runner safe at second and out at first and the kid just burst into tears. I didn't know what to make of it. It wasn't a big play...the team was comfortably ahead if I remember correctly...but if I would have known we'd have to stop the game for a crying spell, I would have just called the runner out. I think he had a nervous breakdown or something.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca

I umped a lot of little league games when I was home from college (sometime in the 20's). My brother was a LL star, so I attended a lot of his games, and got roped (as so often happens) into doing it by the leagues supervisor of umpires (who I knew, small town) since they had not been able to get anyone to work the game. Since I had a working knowledge of baseball rules, said supervisor begged me to be put on the list to work games regularly. The pay was $12 a game, and I would leave my regular job, for which I was getting paid $12 per hour, 3hours early to get the games.

To answer the question, why do people do this regularly? If noone does, the kids cannot play, so I umped a lot (after my first time, I donated the pay back to the league). They did not even have hot dogs at the concession stand, so I only got free coke.

Its funny how seriously people take this. There were two levels in this small town, the two 'travel' teams who played other communities best teams, and 'farm' teams, which only played each other, and usually were filled with younger, less skilled kids. I only worked one travel team game, and by the second inning had to warn both dugouts that if I heard another sound from either one of them directed at me, their team would forfeit, and I would leave. After that I refused to work the more serious leagues, despite being considered one of the best umps available to do so.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #34
sooner333
College Starter

I'm umpiring this summer for tee ball, which is pretty fun. Sure, there are some parents who are a mess...I've been told my calls were bullshit before for following the rules and calling a kid out when his bat was thrown out of the prescribed circle. We've also had some fun this year with our rules regarding runners on a ball thrown to the outfield (we've had two meetings to discuss/change the rules/change the rules back in a week). But, in the end, it's fun to do (I also like the close calls), and it's also fun to see the kids get better as the season goes on (they have gone from really bad, to just a little bad in about three weeks). But, I've heard the coaches and parents aren't really bad until postseason tournament time...so we'll see. And for this I get $9 per game.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #35
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i was a fill-in ref for one of my sisters soccer games when the ref didnt show. one of those all-star traveling teams over the summer.

things went fine until a freakin fight started. a GIRL fight. i had to hop in the middle and get scratched up a bit. didnt kick them out, though. have no idea why.

didnt even get paid, and had to run my ass off. that sucked.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #36
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I umped one season of Little League. That was enough to know I'd never, ever ump or coach Little League.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #37
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I umpired for a year in middle school and enjoyed it a good deal. I thought about doing it again, but decided to coach a team instead. It's a real interesting mix of umpires that we have in our league and I give them a ton of credit for doing a pretty thankless job even though they seem to blow more calls then they get right.

My subsitute ref story is this: At the last minute I was asked to help out with scoring a basketball game at the school I teach at. However, there was a mixup with communication and it turns out that there isn't going to be a ref showing up. The coaches confer and decide that for the 7th grade game our 8th grade coach will act as the ref. This goes on for about 2 minutes before there is another conference and it is decided that I will help him out. We finish out the 1st quarter, in a rather miserable fashion, when a ref shows up. It was a thing of beauty to see and makes it clear to me that I never want to ref a basketball game as it is many times harder than umpiring.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #38
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca

You got a hot dog?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:30 PM   #39
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I have so many stories to tell. Most of the people just get mad because their team did not win. I started doing high school this year which was new level. In high school, if a coach gets ejected they get fined $250. Therefore, everyone is on their best behavior and you really have no problems at all. In youth baseball, it is a business. Tournament directors do not want to piss off the clientele but they always back the umpire.

I enjoy doing it. It is a fun way to make some money. We have a real close crew at Snowden. I also think I have turned into a pretty good umpire.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #40
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Yah GE is a pretty good umpire but all the other umpires where he works call him TOT... Toss 'em out Tim because he's infamous for throwing out coaches.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #41
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I umpired 6th-8th grade girls fast-pitch softball when i was in high school. Generally , it was a fun job. Most of the coaches and parents behaved themselves. However, the league did not exactly support the managers. There were two co-coaches who would sit there with the rule book in their lap and try to catch any slip up on our part. Once I was in the field and my buddy was working behind the plate and they were chirping in his ear all game. Between innings he lost it and shouted them down and told them one more comment and the game would be forfeited. They complained to the boss and the boss had me finish the game behind the plate and had my buddy take the field. Also one time a coach said he would forfeit the game if I worked behind the plate becasue he didn't think I could call balls and strikes. His daughter was pitching and she was embarassed. I told him to go ahead and forfeit the game because I am scheduled to work behind the plate and that is what I am gonna do. He petitioned the boss and the boss had me switch out and work the field. I was pissed.

Nobody ever spit on me or used inappropriate language or otherwise pissed me off.

Another thing that would suck is when a pitcher was struggling to throw strikes and the opposing team just puts their bats on their shoulders and take walk after walk after walk. Usually the winner as no longer in doubt and the better coaches would instruct their girls to swing away, but if they didn't that strike zone started getting bigger and bigger.

Last edited by judicial clerk : 05-25-2005 at 04:35 PM.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:05 PM   #42
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
IAnother thing that would suck is when a pitcher was struggling to throw strikes and the opposing team just puts their bats on their shoulders and take walk after walk after walk. Usually the winner as no longer in doubt and the better coaches would instruct their girls to swing away, but if they didn't that strike zone started getting bigger and bigger.

That is when you widen your strike zone. That bat is on their shoulders to swing.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #43
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

That is exactly what I would do. Often times when I would call of couple of strikes, the pitcher would visibly perk up and start to get some of her confidence back and the batters eyes would stop glazing over and they would concentrate on hitting the ball.

All that said, I don't know if the strike zone I called was good, i just tried to be consistant. I also relied on the catcher's positioning and I think a savy catcher could have fenagled some extra strikes when I was working behind the plate.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #44
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

bump...

Just a quick question on how everyone went about becoming umpires/referees in the first place? Maybe it's just because of the area I live in but all I see are volunteering oppertunities (which I would take if I were not a college student in desperate need of making a little cash on the side during my free time.)
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 PM   #45
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
bump...

Just a quick question on how everyone went about becoming umpires/referees in the first place? Maybe it's just because of the area I live in but all I see are volunteering oppertunities (which I would take if I were not a college student in desperate need of making a little cash on the side during my free time.)

I'm umpiring for the local Pony League now. They had a website established with email addresses to contact the crew chiefs at each of the various levels. I emailed the lower-division crew chief, explained my interest, and he responded by inviting me to a meeting about a week before the season started (we're coming up on week three this Saturday).

Cost me about $500 to buy all of my equipment, though, so that's one thing to keep in mind. If you're desperate for cash, unless they provide your equipment for you, it's going to be an investment probably for the first season. After that, since you'll already have the gear, you'll make pretty good money if you're working for a league that pays.

But if this is a food-on-the-table issue for you, I don't know if umpiring would be the best short-term side job choice.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #46
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I got into umpiring through GE. In his hometown of Southaven is the biggest youth baseball park in America, and the nicest. We had a tournament this past weekend with 90 teams, together GE and I made over 700 bucks.

Sack Attack is right about the equipment, and depending on what kind of national stage you are on, the nicer the equipment you have to buy. Shirts are about 40 a piece, and you have to have at least 5 different colors, plus base shoes and plate shoes, GE's plate shoes cost him over 100 dollars and they were on sale.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #47
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
bump...

As far as reffing goes, if you're looking to get into soccer, there's a referee forum at BigSoccer that has a thread on how to become a referee.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote