Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Could any sport support a new league?

Could a new pro-level league challenge any establish league? If so, why and how?

SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think it would be difficult. But for any sport, they've at least got NBC to nationally televise their games. That network is so hard up for sports that they'll give anything national exposure.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
With enough money
Old 04-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think a rival professional croquet league could take the nation by storm.

Hey, croquet is more interesting than golf... or baseball...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:13 PM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

A lot of people (including myself) would love to see an alternative to MLB, but I don't see it happening, solely because of stadiums.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
A lot of people (including myself) would love to see an alternative to MLB, but I don't see it happening, solely because of stadiums.

The Northern League is huge in Fargo, they generally use college stadiums. Pretty good baseball. Go Redhawks!
Old 04-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #7
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Curling man!!!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
The Northern League is huge in Fargo, they generally use college stadiums. Pretty good baseball. Go Redhawks!

It's big here in Manitoba too, we are currently adding on to the Fish Bowl because it was too hard to get tickets the last few years. Go Goldeyes!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Of the big four (football, baseball, hockey and basketball), basketball would probably be the "easiest" for a new league to break into. If only because there are less players in the NBA than there are players in any of the other sports. So it's not like there'd be any real challenge to find players to fill the league.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
I think a rival professional croquet league could take the nation by storm.

Hey, croquet is more interesting than golf... or baseball...

Or even stupid musical polls.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:10 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Football. I still think a deep winter- early spring league (like the XFL without the stupid marketing) could work. If the NFL brought the World League back to the states...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:15 PM   #12
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
It's big here in Manitoba too, we are currently adding on to the Fish Bowl because it was too hard to get tickets the last few years. Go Goldeyes!

The hated Goldeyes. They have the Redhawks bus stopped and searched at the border everytime. Just trying to throw them off. Damn Goldeyes
Old 04-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

The NHL and NHLPA seem to be doing a good job of hanging themselves financially, so perhaps a new hockey league.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:06 PM   #14
Franklinnoble
Banned

Baseball wouldn't make it. There isn't a big enough fan base, and there aren't enough people that would watch it on TV to make it profitable. Besides, every market that doesn't have a MLB squad has a minor league franchise for anyone who really wants to go out to a ballgame in the summertime.

Football would work, if there were a decent "developmental" league created in cooperation with the NFL. Unfortunately, the NFL seems content with their European and Arena operations, and college teams seem to fill in the rest of the gaps. Football players have relatively brief careers anyway - so if you spend five years in the "minors," you're almost done before you make it to the show.

Basketball could work. Lots of kids who can't get into college but have tons of talent would be well-served by an NBA minor-league. College talent is already getting depleted with all the best high school prospects going right for the NBA, so it wouldn't really screw that game up any worse than it already is.

Hockey... eh. Can't see the damned puck on TV anyway.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:47 PM   #15
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

I read on ESPN.com that this might be the last year for NFL Europe.

Maybe they'll do something new here!
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Who has the rights to MLS. I'm suprised NBC hasn't tried to latch onto that as the "next great sport".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:54 PM   #17
TLK
Pro Starter

What about NASCAR? As much as I'd like to see a merged open-wheel division, I think a second stock-car division could work. They're definitly enough tracks that want races, and drivers wouldn't be hard to come by. I'm sure NBC would take them.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 07:56 AM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Who has the rights to MLS. I'm suprised NBC hasn't tried to latch onto that as the "next great sport".

SI

ABC/ESPN
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:16 AM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

Actually, no one has "rights" to MLS, but ABC/ESPN sort of do... they have agreed to sell blocks of time to the MLS, who in turn has a marketing arm who sells commercials to make money. In essence, any MLS or World Cup game you see on American TV is a 2-hour infomercial for soccer, but the MLS makes money on ad space it sells within that 2 hours. So, ESPN doesn't much care about the ratings for that space, since they wouldn't be showing anything but billiards anyway. Plus, they're getting guaranteed money for the time. The key is, how long can they make money off the ads they sell? That's the key to the TV success of soccer in the US.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:26 AM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Realistically I think football could be the one to work if there was enough financial backing to it. Basketball would be second. That would be because of the salary cap. Another league would have a shot at coming in and picking off a few of the stars with more money.

Baseball has players already being over-paid and it would be tough to land anything other than minor league quality players. Hockey just doesn't have the interest level to support a second league.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote