Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Ping: Texas Voters

Go vote tomorrow. Yes, it's important.

Here is a nice site that weighs the pros and cons of the amendments.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/pubsconam...analyses05.pdf

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Already sent in my absentee ballot
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

There's a vote tomorrow?

How have I not heard a thing about this?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

I was so confused as to why last Tuesday wasn't Election Day, since it was the first Tuesday of November. Then I googled it. Turns out Election Day is on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. How bout that shit?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

Rick Perry (guv of the Lone Star State) has left me three voice mails. I guess that whole Proposition 2 marriage thing is a big deal or something for him.
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
There's a vote tomorrow?

How have I not heard a thing about this?

Old 11-08-2005, 06:03 AM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl
Rick Perry (guv of the Lone Star State) has left me three voice mails. I guess that whole Proposition 2 marriage thing is a big deal or something for him.

I had a lady and a rancher call me. Down with the gays!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My wife is considering canceling my kids soccer practice so she can go vote. Although I am sure things won't go our way, not in this state......
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- And vote NO for #1. To hell with the railroad industry. Those bastards do everything they can to take business from the trucking industry. And trying to blame congestion on the highways and bad air quality in Texas all on trucks just so they can get taxpayer money to build rails is BS.

When it took me almost 2 hours to cross Houston the other day I remember seeing about a lot more cars then trucks, and the problem seemed to be the piss poor highway system which is made worse by the construction.

But I see how it works, it's the Texas Transportation Commission which I understand has always been pretty pro-railroad, once again helping out their friends. Lets give money to the rail industry and then build a toll-road and charge the crap out of trucks. Assmunchers....
Old 11-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I had a lady and a rancher call me. Down with the gays!

Yep, I had several voice mails waiting for me when I got back from Europe that said if I didn't vote for Prop. 2, I'd catch "teh ghey".
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

[rant]
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Prop 2 passed by a 3-1 margin.
I just hope that one day when we look back at the gay marriage debate, we recognize discrimination for what it is. Spin it however you want, but you are denying people basic rights.

You made me sad today, Texas.
[/rant]
Old 11-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised

No, you shouldn't. Nor should you be surprised that Texas provided what I would call the sterling highlight of an otherwise mildly disappointing election day.

We had diddly squat on the ballot here today, so I had to settle for kibbitizing elections in other states -- I believe this is the first election in 20 years of voting eligibility that I consciously decided to stay home & not bother. All we had here was an unexpired term of the (recently deceased) Probate Judge & a SPLOST 1% tax vote. I was thoroughly unimpressed by either candidate + I won't be here a year from now and the outcome of the 1% tax was a foregone conclusion, just like every other tax measure that goes on the ballot here (passed nearly 2-1).
Old 11-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
[rant]
I just hope that one day when we look back at the gay marriage debate, we recognize discrimination for what it is. Spin it however you want, but you are denying people basic rights.

[/rant]

Amen to that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
[rant]

[/rant]

Agreed...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 AM   #15
jackyl
H.S. Freshman Team

So I went out to dinner tonight with the gf and her parents, and we started talking about the election today. It turns out that only myself and Tony, her stepdad, bothered to cast a vote. I brought up Prop 2 and he starts a five minute ramble about how the lecture at his church Sunday was over how gay marriage would ruin their church and the value system of their children.

And that, right there, is why a stupid piece of legislation that actually limits rights gets passed with over 70% of the vote. Instead of arguing, I got another double Dewars rocks and put it on his tab. Why bother when holy authorities are telling the short-attention span masses not to cast a vote for sin on Tuesday?
jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #16
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I thought there was only steers and queers in texas...I guess the steers won this round...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #17
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
So I went out to dinner tonight with the gf and her parents, and we started talking about the election today. It turns out that only myself and Tony, her stepdad, bothered to cast a vote. I brought up Prop 2 and he starts a five minute ramble about how the lecture at his church Sunday was over how gay marriage would ruin their church and the value system of their children.

And that, right there, is why a stupid piece of legislation that actually limits rights gets passed with over 70% of the vote. Instead of arguing, I got another double Dewars rocks and put it on his tab. Why bother when holy authorities are telling the short-attention span masses not to cast a vote for sin on Tuesday?

I read you on this, but I really like your reaction to this.

"Yeah, it will tear down the walls of society. Another scotch on you? Thanks, Dad!"
Old 11-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #18
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I thought there was only steers and queers in texas...I guess the steers won this round...

you forgot beers my friend.. which obviously was the prevote beverage of choice
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

There is a house made of beer cans in Houston, so you may be onto something there, Ragone.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #20
bryce
High School Varsity

Looks like the homeless shelter was approved (Dallas), gay marriage was banned, and the strong mayor (Dallas again) was defeated (I really think this would pass if anyone but Laura Miller were mayor...)

edited for typo and add applicable to Dallas

Last edited by bryce : 11-09-2005 at 08:23 AM.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

Does that vote outlaw civil unions as well?

How does it effect domestic partnership insurance benefits?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Yeah, I was surprised by the homeless shelter getting passed. Nice to see, but Staubach won't be happy.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #23
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I was surprised by the homeless shelter getting passed. Nice to see, but Staubach won't be happy.

Roger Staubach? heh
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #24
colt45
n00b

I thought I saw that Dallas as a county had voted to oppose Prop 2 (Gay Marriage) - so you guys aren't totally on board with Bush and his right wing agenda. Now if the rest of the state could wake up...
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

How does it effect domestic partnership insurance benefits?

Here's a link to the props....

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections...onsamend.shtml

I didn't see anything in the language that mentioned civil unions. I figure it's just a matter of time, though. People don't usually rest on their heels after such an overwhelming victory.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #26
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Churches that want to keep their tax-friendly status really should not be doing political advocacy related to particular issues on the ballot.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
[rant]

[/rant]

The people who oppose gay rights today will be looked upon in time as the same kind of people who opposed civil rights back in the day - the arguements, and the constuiences, are remarkably similar - the concept of enshrining descrimination into the constitution is repulsive. Give it time. Just looking at this board, I bet if we polled gay rights by age, we'd see the split.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #28
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, it does--read the language on the first link in the thread. It goes out of its way to prevent any Texas entity from recognizing any relationship similar to marriage.

But we all knew that this issue was never about "protecting marriage," despite the dressed up language used by the "one man, one woman" crowd. It's about codifying discrimination against homosexuals. If it were anything less than that (at least in Texas), then the amendment would not have discussed civil unions at all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #29
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Roger Staubach? heh

That was mostly tongue in cheek, and Staubach has been very generous to the homeless in the past. However, downtown developers did a study on the negative impact that a homeless assistance center would have on the central business district if it were built there, and he is a major player in that arena.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #30
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
[rant]

[/rant]

Agreed.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
The people who oppose gay rights today will be looked upon in time as the same kind of people who opposed civil rights back in the day - the arguements, and the constuiences, are remarkably similar - the concept of enshrining descrimination into the constitution is repulsive. Give it time. Just looking at this board, I bet if we polled gay rights by age, we'd see the split.
I completely disagree with this. The civil rights movement had its roots in evangelical christianity. It was easy for Martin Luther King, a preacher, to claim the moral highground for the disenfranchised.

It just isn't that cut and dried here. Evangelical Christianity is gaining momentum in this country and around the world. The Episcopal Church is in crisis and bordering on fracture. There is heavy prejudice toward gays from groups of people that were themselves discriminated against just a generation or two ago.

I think it is only going to get worse in the next 100 years.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #32
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
I think it is only going to get worse in the next 100 years.

I really hope your wrong.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #33
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Me too.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #34
colt45
n00b

Quote:

Agreed. It's a scary thought. Scarier still is the fact that it IS a real possibility.
colt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #35
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

If it does get that bad... you're always welcome up here.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #36
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
If it does get that bad... you're always welcome up here.

Gotta stay and fight.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #37
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Gotta stay and fight.

I'll be rooting for you!
LETS GO JAYS!!