Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

OT: Console Sports Gaming: where has my interest gone?

I'm reading an interesting preview of the Heisman mode on this year's NCAA Football (http://sports.ign.com/articles/622/622688p1.html). It sounds kinda neat, even though it can be easy to pump stats in console football games. But as I'm reading, I see lines like "On 3rd and 1 I make a key stop, but am called for a facemask. Rice drives down to the ten and I stop them again…only to get called for another facemask penalty to give them first and goal. Aargh!"

Stuff like that drives me crazy with football games! Anyway, I haven't really enjoyed the NCAA/Madden series for about 5-6 years. I used to love playing NCAA 99, 2000, and even 2001 on the PS1. Those games were some of my most played back in the day. However, the NCAA football games in the current generation have been very disappointing to me. I played 2002 a bit and then 2003 for a couple of months, but that's it. I rented 2004&2005 and I about threw them out the window before completing even one game. I think it's the way the game flows that bothers me the most. I'm into realism and stuff, but when it takes a full 2-3 seconds for a player to switch direction...I wanna burn things. I yell at the TV, hoping my player will make a quicker cut, but it doesn't happen. It's very disheartening.

I dunno, I guess the NCAA/Madden series aren't for me. I played ESPN NFL 2k5 a decent amount last year (maybe 12 games of a season, plus a dozen or so online games). I had a good time with that. I played 20 games of ESPN College Hoops and 5 games of ESPN NBA. I haven't touched any baseball games yet this year. It's like, I haven't really got into a console sports game for a while. It's been maybe 2-3 years since I won a championship on a console sports game. It's not that I'm that bad (I'm pretty decent), it's just that I haven't played enough games to make it that far. I got pretty close with College Hoops, making it to the end of February in-season.

It's just weird, because my two big genres for console gaming (PS1/N64 generation) were sports & music. I still play all the good music games that come out, but sports seems to have faded into oblivion. I miss the competitive nature of sports games. Kicking the AI's ass was one of my favorite things (not money plays or anything, but winning on a last-second play and dancing). Hell, I remember playing some great games I played online. But I haven't played hardly any sports games recently. Maybe it'll kick up again this year. Maybe I'll try NCAA (again), or whatever 2k football game is out. The baseball season is young, so maybe I'll try out MLB/ESPN/MVP. The 2k NBA games were always really cool, so maybe I'll pick that up again in October.

Have any of you guys gone ever gone through a sports gaming (or gaming in general) drought? If so, did you snap out of it, or was it permanent? What game(s) renewed your interest?

FYI, I've been playing a lot of Halo 2 and online poker lately.

I ramble a lot in my posts Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is unchartered territory for me, so I seek guidance from FOFC.

(Stats tomorrow when I log back in: 0 replies, 51 views)

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to ruin your prediction. Yes, I went through a sports gaming drought about 4 years ago, and it was FOF that actually helped me end that drought

I don't really have anything substantial to contribute, except thanks for posting that article. I'm really excited about NCAA 2006 and that article hasn't dampened my excitement.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

IGN has some incredible videos. The run blocking truly looks amazing on some of the plays. Also, the CPU actually throws underneath and completes a nice percentage of passes in a few gameplay videos I've seen. The speed of the game looks much better too. Anyway, I don't mean to threadjack, but maybe you'll become excited by NCAA 2006?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #4
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'd love to thoroughly enjoy an NCAA football game again. NCAA football&hoops are my favorite sports, so they are the games I can enjoy the most. If they put out a game that I need to buy, I'll end my EA ban
Old 06-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Plopped my $5 down yesterday for a copy of 2006. Thoroughly disappointed with 2005, so I'm crossing my fingers.

No sports-gaming drought this year as I'm STILL playing MVP 2005, continue to look forward to the upcoming sports titles on the PC and continue to write my own (for no apparent reason).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

I loved NCAA 2002, 2003 and 2004, but 2005 was a total load. I'm gonna wait and see on '06.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I haven't been into many console sports games either in recent years. I think I played one whole season of Madden '05 with the Chargers in coach mode. Other than that I haven't completed a season since NCAA 2003. I played a lot of College Hoops and I am playing MVP 2005 quite a bit now but I'm to a point where I don't play it more than a few games a week when I need a baseball fix.

I'm finding myself playing OOTP6 and FBCB the most.

This year with NCAA 2006 I am thinking of controlling every team in a conference like the Big East and playing all the games, conference games as the home team. Hoping that it will keep my interest long enough. If the game plays anything like 2005 though it won't last more than a few days.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #8
GroundCat
Banned

kingnebrews, from what you said in your post, I'd imagine that you would have a lot of fun with the NFL Street series.

It's got a lot of the arcadey type game controls that you miss.

and everyone needs to lat off NCAA2005. It's the best football game ever created since NCAA2004!
GroundCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu

First of all: thanks for sharing the link. Good stuff, I didn't read it. I can't wait for NCAA 2006.

Speaking about your interest: as Groundcat has suggested, I recommend you to pick up one of the Street games (EA NFL Street 2, EA NBA Street Vol.3, or maybe play a little of the 24/7 mode in ESPN NBA 2K5, that you already have).
They are "pure" fun, you can play quick games without bothering yourself with depth chart, injuries, contracts and so on. Also, you can get 'em at a cheap price right now, given the fact that they came out in Novemeber.
Maybe your interest will come back, and you'll be ready to play 2006...
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm in the same boat. I still play the football games, but even those don't excite me like they used to. I used to wait for the new NHL games to come out -- it was like Christmas morning. Now I don't even bother.

Why? Not sure, but I wonder if the realism is working against them. There's a fascinating theory out there (wish I could remember the name) that relates to animation. The idea is that we as human beings enjoy animation more and more as it gets more realistic -- but there's an unexpected tipping point. When the animation gets too realistic, we don't like it anymore. We can't necessarily explain why, but we have a negative reaction. For example, putting aside the plot, people love the look of Shrek and The Incredibles, but didn't like Final Fantasy even though it's far more realistic.

The theory is that once you pass a certain threshold on the realism scale, people stop noticing the realism and start noticing the flaws. So when Snow White runs, she looks almost human and we like it. But when a more realistic animation is shown, it looks "off", not quite right, even though it's far closer to reality.

I wonder if something similar doesn't happen with video games. These games aim to be so realistic now -- not just the animation, but the graphics, sound, AI, everything. Maybe they're so close to realism that the little quirks stand out more and drive us away.

I've often wondered why I loved Tecmo Bowl and NHL 93, but can't get into Madden and NHL 2005 because they're not realistic. Tecmo and NHL 93 were fun, but there's no conceivable way to argue that they were realistic beyond a basic level. But somehow they seemed more realistic, because they were "close enough".

I guess on some level it's a double standard based on our expectations. We figure it's OK for Tecmo to have four plays in a playbook, but if Madden is going to have 200+ then we get annoyed when they don't have a disguised CB blitz out of the 3-4. When you checked a guy in NHL 93 and he flipped in the air it was cool, because that meant "big hit". When it happens in NHL 2005, in all its 3D rendered glory, it looks out of place and it's distracting.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

I loved NCAA 2003 and 2004, but not 2005. I wasn't planning on getting 2006, but after hearing that UTEP is ranked #24 in the game I have no option but to buy it so that I can lead Jordan Palmer, Tyler Ebell, and Thomas Howard to glory...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I think my personal dissatisfaction comes from the fact that visual realism is moving so much faster than AI realism. In a franchise like Madden, every year a new games comes out which looks more realistic than the previous game. The problem is that the same AI flaws seem to exist. The same plays that worked all the time in the pervious version still work all the time in the new version. When games don't look real, we don't expect them to play real.

Game companies spend a lot of time tweaking the graphics engine between releases, but they don't tweak the AI at the same time. Instead we get all kinds of franchise options and unlockable items and new game modes, but we still don't get a smarter game. Seeing everything but the AI get better really does point out the flaws in the game.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

The theory is that once you pass a certain threshold on the realism scale, people stop noticing the realism and start noticing the flaws. So when Snow White runs, she looks almost human and we like it. But when a more realistic animation is shown, it looks "off", not quite right, even though it's far closer to reality.

I wonder if something similar doesn't happen with video games. These games aim to be so realistic now -- not just the animation, but the graphics, sound, AI, everything. Maybe they're so close to realism that the little quirks stand out more and drive us away.

I've often wondered why I loved Tecmo Bowl and NHL 93, but can't get into Madden and NHL 2005 because they're not realistic. Tecmo and NHL 93 were fun, but there's no conceivable way to argue that they were realistic beyond a basic level. But somehow they seemed more realistic, because they were "close enough".

I guess on some level it's a double standard based on our expectations. We figure it's OK for Tecmo to have four plays in a playbook, but if Madden is going to have 200+ then we get annoyed when they don't have a disguised CB blitz out of the 3-4. When you checked a guy in NHL 93 and he flipped in the air it was cool, because that meant "big hit". When it happens in NHL 2005, in all its 3D rendered glory, it looks out of place and it's distracting.

I think this exact reason is why some people (perhaps myself included) hope FM2005 stays with the 2D match engine. The 2D engine gives you the best balance of information and imagination... some might argue that the text did an even better job of that!

Since the graphics on those old console games are so arcanian, we go in prepared to use our imagination -- these new fancy console games remove the imagination factor.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Since the graphics on those old console games are so arcanian, we go in prepared to use our imagination -- these new fancy console games remove the imagination factor.

I like this answer. Nothing can compete with imagination, and trying to compete just gets you in trouble.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I think this exact reason is why some people (perhaps myself included) hope FM2005 stays with the 2D match engine. The 2D engine gives you the best balance of information and imagination... some might argue that the text did an even better job of that!

Put me onboard with this theory as well. Things like pass deflections in NCAA where all of a sudden the game loses all realism with guys swatting at the magicly beach-ballish floating blob just irritate more than they immerse. It drives me nuts when four guys tip a ball around and it's then intercepted or swatted into the arms of my offensive tackle chilling fifteen yards away. Give me some imagination any day.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #16
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Seeing everything but the AI get better really does point out the flaws in the game.

I think you hit it on the head Brian. This is something that sports games have been guilty of for years. It's like, a 4-page interview with a sports game maker, talking about all the new features blah blah blah, with barely a mention of AI improvements.

I played a fun game of ESPN NFL 2k5 last night, leading my injury-ridden Bungles to a 14-6 win over Buffalo. I'm 10-4 and #2 in the AFC. I sat back and watched the in-game Sportscenter and I forgot how great it was. It's a shame that 2k won't have a chance to expand on that this year. It's the closest I've seen a game to my imagined wet dream (but nothing beats imagination eh? ). Watching the playoff hunt, injury update, draft update, highlights, etc. was really cool. It's far from perfect, but it was a big step in the right direction. So much for this year...does Madden have anything similar? Weekly highlights in a SC-like fashion are awesome to me.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. As far as the Street games though, they're not really my thing. The luck factor in them drives me crazy (and yet, I play poker). It's like, I'll be whooping the AI by 21, then they get lucky with several TO's and they're ahead. It's like...wtf? Stuff like that bugs me.

I think I'll try and win the Super Bowl on ESPN NFL (even though my starting QB&HB are hurt). That'll be a tough adventure.

On a sadder note, my ESPN College Hoops game is frozen. It won't let me sim past Feb. 7. I just played a game that day, and when I go to sim the day, it freezes. Every time. My X-box has been having problems, but not problems like that. It's disappointing, because I was having a fun season with that. (shrug) I know that problem is widespread.

This really is an interesting topic that has affected a lot of gamers at some point. Gotta jet now...I appreciate the replies and look forward to more
Old 06-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #17
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think the problem is that todays games are attempting to recreate reality on an impossible scale.

Games like Tecmo Bowl or FOF operate in a very strictly defined universe where only a few specific outcomes are possible on any given play. The gameplay itself is simple because of the strict rules of the universe.

In a game like madden, the game is actually attempting to model how the action occurs in real life. Each player on the field has freedom to act.

To put it another way, Madden tries to give a player like Champ Bailey appropriate skill levels so that he can be an effective cover corner on ther field. Tecmo Bowl decided that Deion Sanders was an effective corner, so if you threw his direction the console would make the pass get swatted down or intercepted more often than with some chump corner. Another example would be madden attempting to give its player named Ray Lewis appropriate skill levels so that he will be a sure tackler and hoping that he will be a sutre tackler on the field. TecmoBowl decide that the character named Lawrence taylor is a sure tackler and so when he comes into contact with the runner he brings them down.

I think the result is that far less ambitious games like FOF or Tecmo are able to provide more realistic results with unrealistic (or nonexistent) in-game gameplay representation while Madden tries to realistically represet real-time gameplay, but it ends up with unrealistic results.

I think it is similar to the difference between a real time strategy game and a turn based strategy game. a turn based game defines the universe very strictly (for example a phalanx cannot defeat a tank) but in a real time game, my phalanx can beat your tank if I am good enough at using my mouse and keyuboard.

I think a great example of a mix that really works well for me is the balders gate and KOTOR series where the events unfold before you with good graphics, but the action is actually dictated by unseen calculations including calculations determining how quickly some act can be accomplished. it think if this type of system was applied to madden it would be a better game.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #18
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
a turn based game defines the universe very strictly (for example a phalanx cannot defeat a tank)

You obviously have never played any of the Civ games.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
hhiipp
College Prospect

[quote]On a sadder note, my ESPN College Hoops game is frozen. It won't let me sim past Feb. 7. I just played a game that day, and when I go to sim the day, it freezes. Every time./QUOTE]

My NFL 2k5 dynasty did this as well, after about 3 seasons just in one game it would die every time I tried to play. I simmed the game and it went thru but then the netxt game did it also, extremely annoying. Needless to say I haven't played a game since that whole ordeal started because I didn't want to start over.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
bob
College Starter

The bugs in the ESPN branded games of the last year is what killed console gaming for me... While I never had problems with the NFL game, the baseball, college hoops, and hockey games have so many bugs that I was just too pissed to start over.

I won't go to EA because I'm pissed at them. Not because of the NFL thing since apparantly the NFL started that, but b/c EA picked up exclusives on college football and the AFL too.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #21
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think one possible reason that less and less time is spent on the AI is that they are targeting head to head play. If you are playing against a friend, then the looks of the game are what is going to matter, not that the OL line is handling zone blitzes properly. I hope this is a cyclical thing, and once they max out what they can do graphically, they turn to improving the AI. The new crop of gaming consoles coming out will go a long way towards helping, I think. Before, due to the limits of the hardware, a trade off had to be made, realism vs. bling.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
GroundCat
Banned

Really, games like Madden are in a no-win situation.

A few years ago, a large segment of players were going on and on about how you could pass all day long on the CPU and complete something like 85% of your passes. So the Madden team increased the skill of CBs.

Then, a large part of the players complained that there were "super CBs" now, and it was impossible to have a realistic passing game.

The developers can't win with a joystic-jockey sports game. If one part of the playing base is having an easy time with something, there is another part that isn't. If the developers change something to make it harder, they screw the players that aren't as good. If they make something easier, they screw the players who were already good at it.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #23
GroundCat
Banned

Obviously, the key is to have better AI instead of messing with the ratings all the time. However, nobody has yet to invent a computer game that can actually learn, think, and predict like a human can.

Until true AI is developed for games, we're never going to be happy.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #24
GroundCat
Banned

NCAA 2005 is still the greatest football game ever invented.

It's not perfect, but it is leagues above any other football game in 2 areas:

Running game (particularly inside the tackles)
Dline/LB play

Both aspects just happen to be my favorite parts of football.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting point about online play.

I think there's another way online play has hurt -- it's made developers too focused on the "cheesers" (I think I'm using the term correctly). The guys who aren't trying to play realistically, rather they just want to run up the score. If there's a play that works every time, then that's the only one they'll use.

In the old days, these people were annoying but didn't really hurt anyone. If they were playing alone, fine, let them play how they want to. If you were playing them in person you can swat them in the head and tell them to stop being a prick. (Dear god, the battles we used to have over that infamous NHL 93 breakaway move.) But you didn't have to design your games for them.

But now, as I understand it, these people are everywhere online. And now the regular paying customer is annoyed when he tries to play online, and he screams for these loopholes to be closed. And the developers focus on that, instead of the real AI.

Meanwhile, people like me who don't play online and just want a realistic solo game have to put up with DBs who pick off everything in sight, just so the cheesers can't get away with the one or two plays that were vulnerable to accurate passes.

Of course, there's the bigger reason -- you can't show good AI on the back of the box or the magazine ad, so you focus on the graphics instead.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #26
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundCat
The developers can't win with a joystic-jockey sports game. If one part of the playing base is having an easy time with something, there is another part that isn't. If the developers change something to make it harder, they screw the players that aren't as good. If they make something easier, they screw the players who were already good at it.

I think this is a good point. As realistically as they try to model all of the players, the guy holding the joystick can always break the models. The non-star quarterback becomes much better when the human intelligence is substitured for the more aptly modeled AI.

The best answer to this (so far) is a huge number of sliders. Since the game makers can't make a great game for everyone, they need to keep a good middle of the road game and make as much as possible customizable. It is a pain to have to spend so much time "fixing" your newly purchased sports game, but that seems to be the best compromise these days.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Obviously, the key is to have better AI instead of messing with the ratings all the time. However, nobody has yet to invent a computer game that can actually learn, think, and predict like a human can.

Until true AI is developed for games, we're never going to be happy.
Very, very true. The key here is learning without cheating. If I run a pass play 500 times, I know I can complete it in my sleep. That's just how the game is.

As for online play, although you can control one player, there are 10 other guys on the field that you rely on the AI.

With each new year of games, I start off on the default difficulty, but soon bump it up one or two notches as well as playing with the sliders. This doesn't change the AI, only the difficulty of completing a pass, breaking a tackle, etc. While not perfect, I still find it very enjoyable.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #28
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Sliders are a nice addition to all sports games, as you can customize to suit your needs/skills.

I played another game of ESPN NFL yesterday and whooped NYG 49-3 (!!!). It was 35-3 late in the 4th, but then I got them to turn it over on downs, then I went in for two quick scores. I'd never do that vs a human, but vs the AI it's expected My injury-plagued Bengals are 11-4, and with a win @ PHI (...) we'll clinch the #2 overall seed. A loss could drop us to #5 (lousy Baltimore with their 11-4 record). I'm having fun with this game. Hopefully I can beat PHI when I play them.

Today I rented Doom 3 and Star Wars: KOTOR 2. No sports games today. I may return it and try MLB '06 out. Dunno if MVP will be my thing. I'm semi-semi-semi-semi excited for NCAA '06. It comes out in mid-July. Because of where I work, I can rent it for free in early August. We'll see...
Old 06-08-2005, 05:07 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
Sliders are a nice addition to all sports games, as you can customize to suit your needs/skills.

I played another game of ESPN NFL yesterday and whooped NYG 49-3 (!!!). It was 35-3 late in the 4th, but then I got them to turn it over on downs, then I went in for two quick scores. I'd never do that vs a human, but vs the AI it's expected My injury-plagued Bengals are 11-4, and with a win @ PHI (...) we'll clinch the #2 overall seed. A loss could drop us to #5 (lousy Baltimore with their 11-4 record). I'm having fun with this game. Hopefully I can beat PHI when I play them.

Today I rented Doom 3 and Star Wars: KOTOR 2. No sports games today. I may return it and try MLB '06 out. Dunno if MVP will be my thing. I'm semi-semi-semi-semi excited for NCAA '06. It comes out in mid-July. Because of where I work, I can rent it for free in early August. We'll see...

I'm probably a victim of the hype, but after reading every bit of info I can about NCAA '06 on the web (including watching multiple videos,) I really think it is going to be a great game that is going to correct most of the issues with 05 and build on the good features of '04.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #30
GroundCat
Banned

2005 wasn't that bad!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2005 wasn't that bad!

That is a matter of opinion. However, I hated how the CPU completion percentages were pathetically low even when playing against 99 rated QB's and with the CPU catching slider all the way up. Also, I hated how receivers with 80 plus hand ratings would still routinely drop wide open passes.

Reportedly, these and other issues that I had with the game have been fixed in '06. Furthermore, I've seen gameplay videos that show a good CPU QB dissecting a defense with underneath passes and throwing the ball deep reasonably well too. I'm excited about '06.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #32
AgustusM
College Prospect

easiest way to stop the "run the same play" cheesers - if someone runs a play more then 2 times in a row - automatic fumbled snap! That will instantly end that problem.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #33
GroundCat
Banned

Is it cheese if you do it against the CPU?

I'd just call that sad.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #34
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My biggest complaint with 2005 was the inability to catch, like other have said. As long as it isnt overdone, I would be happy...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've been searching for new stuff about NCAA 2006 everyday, and I thought this article was particularly interesting (and this guy is usually accurate) and has fueled my optimism even further (this comes from Psxsports.com)

New animations, redesigned ball physics, improved gameplay, and impact players.
by DT Lindner

June 7, 2005 - Many fans of the series are still unsure of whether they prefer NCAA 2004 or NCAA 2005? NCAA 2005 introduced "Home Field Advantage" and "In-game Player Progression" but felt slightly less polished than the previous iteration. We all know about NCAA 2006's two new features, "Taking Home the Heisman Trophy" and the inclusion of "Impact Players", but we all want to know whether we are really receiving something new. Let me answer that question by saying that NCAA Football 2006 is the must-buy sports title this summer! It doesn't just slap on two new features onto last years game. NCAA 2006 improves all of the gripes that prevented us from truly enjoying the the previous versions and finally has the look and feel of a real college football game.

Let me begin by praising the new animations. One of the first animations I noticed was how the receivers react to the ball. I had a receiver running a fly route down the right sideline and while the ball was in the air, he turned his head and shoulders towards the quarterback and then adjusted to the ball by turning his shoulders and head towards the sideline to catch the ball over his outside shoulder. The whole animation was seamless and immediately caught my attention. The receiver didn't turn his head like an owl, but rotated his torso, shoulders, and head to look the ball in. Besides the new receiver animations, the offensive and defensive linemen have new blocking animations. I noticed a new pancake block and my offensive linemen turning their bodies in order to seal a lane for my running back to dart through. The lanes were more visible and I was tempted to run between the tackles more often than in the past. On the other side of the ball, defensive linemen actually shed blockers instead of the surprise shoestring tackles found in the previous versions. This made the running game more rewarding as the ball carrier doesn't feel cheated. I was yelling at my linemen to hold their blocks instead of at EA for their surprise tackling tactics.

The new animations that impressed me the most are the numerous gang tackle and break tackle animations that made each carry feel authentic. I kept asking my neighbor if he saw that tackle and then to my amazement yet another new animation would occur. I remember taking my hands off of the controller believing that my ball carrier was tackled and the next thing I knew, my running back plants his hand down and still manages to keep his balance. I grabbed the controller just in time to pull off a juke move that sprung for another 10 yards. The varied running animations really polish off the running game and give this game the feel of watching a real college football game. I guarantee that you will be watching the same replay over and over, drooling over each new animation. In addition, watching your running back drag defenders for an extra two yards gives the game more emotion. I was cheering on my running back for his effort to gain that extra yard and kept handing him the ball because he demonstrated that he wanted to win.

Besides the animations, EA Sports captured the feel of a televised game through the use of celebrations and disappointments. Players reacted to missed field goals, sacks, and interceptions in comical cut scenes that were previously only found in touchdown celebrations. Another welcomed addition was the improved ball physics. No longer will tempers flare as five players tip the ball before batting it to the ground. Defensive linemen now bat the ball so that linebackers in the right position can make the pick and defensive backs are rewarded with an interception after one tip. New animations are even tied in with the improved ball physics as players would reach out for a fumble and scoop it up or catch it on a one hop bounce.

An improvement that will take users time to adjust to are the new control features. Once mastered, I was really impressed with the amount of control I had on the field and I began to question how the previous configuration lasted so long. The most noticeable change is the X button now controls the speed burst on offense and defense and the right thumb stick is used for the juke moves. The reason the X button works on offense is because the passing icons are always up and the quarterback scrambles with X as the X receiver has been eliminated. This allows a scrambling quarterback to elude the rush by holding X and without having to take down the passing icons. This works great against blitzes and eliminates those accidental lob passes when hiking the ball too aggressively. This also makes scrambling less obvious to the defense. The right stick now controls all of the juke moves with the inclusion of trucking over defenders when pressing up and utilizing the back juke when pressing down. The back juke is more of a hesitation that works great against overly aggressive defenders. The hesitation also works well in freezing the defender that anticipates a cutback while your running back continues running in the same direction. The L1/R1 buttons have now been delegated to throwing a stiff arm left or right.

An addition I was thrilled to see included was the addition of the substitution packages and formations taken from Madden 2005. Now you can switch cornerbacks and linebackers on the fly if you prefer to run a strong side and weak side defense. Also, for those teams that have two great running backs on offense, you can substitute backs on the fly and try out that true freshmen that would be perfect for a change of pace. The addition of formation substitutions allows you to play two quarterbacks while utilizing both of their strengths. You may want a passing quarterback for all of the spread/shotgun formations, while having a scrambling quarterback for all of the two back formations.

If you are not sold yet, consider the following gameplay fixes that otherwise plagued the previous versions. The number of dropped passes has been reduced including running backs dropping screen passes when they are wide open. The lean animation has been toned down so that agile ball carriers can electrify the game once again. I should also mention that the speed of the running game has increased similar to NCAA 2004. The player composure, home field advantage, and in-game player progression has been toned down so users have a greater control over the outcome of the game. Gone are the days of benching your starting quarterback after the first quarter because his composure rating plummeted 12 attribute points. Players regain their confidence at a faster rate so they may only need a couple of plays off to talk with their coach instead of the entire game. I was also happy to see breakaway speed where my ball carrier actually gained ground against slower defenders. These are just some of the fixes that should have been present in NCAA 2005, but EA managed to get them right in NCAA 2006!

Finally, a feature that I absolutely love is the addition of Impact Players. Each team has 3 impact players (at least one on each side of the ball) whose icons pulsate faster and faster as they become involved in consecutive big plays. When an impact player's pulse maxes out, they are considered in the zone and are rewarded with a performance enhancement. For example, running backs will break a few additional tackles, quarterbacks will put the ball on the money, receivers will go after the ball more aggressively with the hands of Jerry Rice, and defensive players will lay down a crushing hit that increases the likelihood of a fumble. The performance enhancements are not like NBA Street where you are guaranteed to score. You still have to avoid defenders on offense, though I will mention that you do not want to throw against an impact player in the zone covering your receiver.

Some of you may be questioning why each team has 3 impact players as USC has to have more impact players than Idaho. First of all, impact players have to perform well for most of the game to be in the zone. This isn't NBA Jam where you hit three shots without the opponent scoring and you're on fire. It's a reward for involving a player throughout the game and having continued success with that player. To answer the question of teams only having 3 impact players, take this into consideration. USC's QB #11 is an impact player and a 99 overall and he is surrounded by great receivers. He is more likely to have continued success passing the ball based on the talent surrounding him, thus he is more likely to be in the zone. Idaho's impact player on offense may be a 76 overall and surrounded by average athletes. He may have only had one or two big plays the entire game, thus never being in the zone. It is much harder to be in the zone for the lower ranked schools than for the elite teams. Also take into consideration that if USC was filled with impact players the game really would be like NBA Jam when they were in the zone. The impact player feature does not leave anyone feeling cheated or that the game is unfair. The impact player feature is a reward that energizes the game and provides secondary goals to achieve.

I left out any mention of "Taking Home the Heisman Trophy" and the significant graphical improvements but they also contributed to the overall enthusiasm for NCAA 2006. I left E3 believing that NCAA 2006 is finally the edition that I have no gripes about. Usually I feel short changed in comparison to the Madden series, but in this case I believed that EA really did listen to their consumers and fix the complaints that had gone unnoticed for too long. I was excited about the new features, but even more pleased about the subtle gameplay improvements that will make this game playable for the longer than the 2005-06 football season. The hardest part was walking away from E3 realizing that I wasn't going to play the game again until July. This is not the year to wait for the 2007 edition. This is the year to pre-order NCAA 2006 and make sure you own a copy. See you online.

-DT Lindner
Old 06-09-2005, 03:25 AM   #36
Emiliano
College Prospect

Wow, cool . Thanks EF, great read!!!
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #37
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Wander where DT Linder stole that from.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #38
GroundCat
Banned

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
Wander where DT Linder stole that from.

I don't know too much about all of the accusations of DT Linder stealing articles, rosters, etc. I do know that whatever he has posted in the past has generally been fairly accurate IMHO.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #40
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Why? Not sure, but I wonder if the realism is working against them. There's a fascinating theory out there (wish I could remember the name) that relates to animation. The idea is that we as human beings enjoy animation more and more as it gets more realistic -- but there's an unexpected tipping point. When the animation gets too realistic, we don't like it anymore. We can't necessarily explain why, but we have a negative reaction. For example, putting aside the plot, people love the look of Shrek and The Incredibles, but didn't like Final Fantasy even though it's far more realistic.

ESPN.com has posted an article on this subject -- linking the theory who's name I couldn't remember ("The Uncanny Valley") with video games. Interesting read, at least until the then tries to stretch the theory to other areas:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=hruby/051122

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-22-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote