Originally Posted by MrBug708
It's not like you have a tough opponent next week MJ4H
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #152
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Two weeks from now, UTEP vs UNM. It's gonna be a game for the ages, cronin...

I know next to nothing about UTEP's squad except that they are one of the favorites in their conference and they butt-raped a bad UNMS team a week ago (didn't see any of the game.)

New Mexico was supposed to be a tough defensive team with a bad QB and a decent rushing game, but in two games QB McKamey has looked very good (as has WR Baskett), and the defense has been very sloppy.

I may actually go to that game - I have tickets to the Air Force game in november, but it's possible I'll end up going to one or two more.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 AM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just have to say that the first half of the FSU game ranks as the worst, most embarrassing performance I've ever seen/heard of for a team I willingly affiliate myself with. Absolutely atrocious, pitiful performance. We shouldn't have even had the lead at half (a botched punt with less than 10 seconds in the half gave us a gift FG attempt). And this was against The Citadel! At home! That was worse than my high school football team's homecoming game performance, when the entire football team guaranteed a victory and said they'd save their heads if they lost. They lost 56-0.

I still stand on my prediction of 4-5 losses, and I fully expect to lose to BC this weekend. In fact, if BC can't win this game, they don't deserve to be considered an above-average team. I'm glad we turned in on in the second half, and maybe that'll carry over as far as confidence goes, but again, that was against a shit-ass football team. Shoulda happened in the first half, befoer we wore down their team (they probably dressed half the players we did). 59 unanswered points sounds great, until you factor in the first half.

Funny thing, though, about that outburst. At half time, the wife and I turned the TV off for about 45 minutes (*ahem*), and apparently a whole lot of scoring occurred during that time. We went from 13-10 to 41-10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #154
Butter
Coordinator

The Citadel was up 10-3 at one point... I actually had some hope for a few minutes, but FSU woke up like you knew they would. But they always seem to take some patsy for a thrill ride for a half during the year sometime, like UAB or even Duke.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #155
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
In fact, if BC can't win this game, they don't deserve to be considered an above-average team.
Agreed. Personally, I don't like to see FSU as down as they are since they're a conference team (and we don't play them), but right now BC should be able to shut down the Nole offense and do enough against the FSU defense to get the win. If they don't, then I've been overrating the Eagles for the past few months.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #156
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FSU fans, despair not. You were just the victim of another former Tucker Tiger struttin' his stuff. Way to go, Vince--a fumble recovery for a TD and an INT in the end zone!

Thomas had a pretty good day, too.

Why in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE did we throw on 4th and 1??? USC STILL hasn't stopped us when we run out of the I. I haven't had a chance to watch the tape yet, but I'd be really curious to know what TB and DW averaged when we were in the I. Sheesh.

Oh yes, we have a tailback with cornerback speed, and we STILL haven't tossed the %*(#*$ sweep yet.

You run to set up the pass, not vice versa. I like and respect CMR. I'm sure he would be a fine Sunday School teacher or guest speaker at a fund-raiser for a Christ-centered non-profit, but we need someone else to call the plays, BADLY. Richt's philosophy works great when a team puts 9 in the box against us and/or has inferior talent in the secondary, but when we face DB's better than our receivers (which is going to happen a good bit this year), the thought of using the I as the primary base formation is apparently a foreign concept to the man.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #157
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
The Citadel was up 10-3 at one point... I actually had some hope for a few minutes, but FSU woke up like you knew they would. But they always seem to take some patsy for a thrill ride for a half during the year sometime, like UAB or even Duke.

I did not know they would wake up. And I don't think it was so much that they "woke up" as Citadel being down because they let the first half end so badly, plus got tired in the second half. FSU scored 7 TDs in the second half in just under 17 minutes. They could have put up 80 points, but called off the dogs after they scored 2 minutes into the fourth quarter.

Here's the thing, though - I fully expected the passing game to still be a work in progress during the first half, but we had to be able to run the ball and couldn't. That's what worries me the most. The defense looke great, although I'll certainly have more worries about our secondary against BC than I did against Citadel. The only way FSU beats BC is if we run all over you and/or the defense/special teams scores 2 TDs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #158
Butter
Coordinator

Note that it didn't take long for the media to lick ND's shoes again... they're already up to 10th, despite Pitt losing on the road to Ohio U. (good start for Wanny there), and Michigan obviously being WAY overrated.

Oklahoma shouldn't even be ranked after their last 2 performances, meanwhile Miami, FSU, and Tennessee continue to be well overrated despite their horrible opening games.

I'm just tired of the preseason polls dictating how much of the rest of the season goes. Sure, USC is #1 and Texas is likely #2, but after that it's a free-for-all. If LSU finishes #3, I'll eat my shoe.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #159
scooper
College Benchwarmer

You know the tune. Sing along.

Hail to the South Bend Victors
Hail to the Fighting Irish
Hail Hail! to Notre Dame
Cause LLLoyd* is Charlie's bitch!

*the three L's stand for three loss LLLoyd.

Texas fans-you guys have been right all along. Greg Davis is aweful. Spreading an offense out does not equal imagination. That is one of the easiest offenses to read that I have ever seen. You won that game with athleticism and execution, but that offense is ugly. With a dangerous QB, good RB's and a very good offensive line, the offense should not completely rely on big plays from Young. Congrats on a big win, though. Cowtown is not an easy place in which to play. And anOSU's linebackers are very very good.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #160
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Note that it didn't take long for the media to lick ND's shoes again... they're already up to 10th, despite Pitt losing on the road to Ohio U. (good start for Wanny there), and Michigan obviously being WAY overrated.

Oklahoma shouldn't even be ranked after their last 2 performances, meanwhile Miami, FSU, and Tennessee continue to be well overrated despite their horrible opening games.

I'm just tired of the preseason polls dictating how much of the rest of the season goes. Sure, USC is #1 and Texas is likely #2, but after that it's a free-for-all. If LSU finishes #3, I'll eat my shoe.

So ND shouldn't be #10, but all of those others you list (save for Texas and USC) are overrated.

I agree Somewhat, though. I'd put ND at around 13-15 at this point. But it's not like there have been 10 or more teams that have gone out and dominated solid opposition. Either the schedules have been weak, or ranked teams have played below expectations.

Polls shouldn't be released until October at the earliest.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #161
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
If LSU finishes #3, I'll eat my shoe.

HUH??? LSU beat a top of the line ASU squad while in an emotional state i wouldnt wish on anyone after missing the first game of the season...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #162
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
HUH??? LSU beat a top of the line ASU squad while in an emotional state i wouldnt wish on anyone after missing the first game of the season...

Maybe his shoe is made out of a nice juicy steak. Or cookies.

But I agree with him. LSU won't finish #3. That's a pretty good bet. I mean to finish exactly #3.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #163
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

or guest speaker at a fund-raiser for a Christ-centered non-profit,

Hint, hint.

I agree on all points. UGA was running at will, especially out of a tighter set, but when they went to the shotgun and tried to be cute, it would bite them in the butt. I have never like a head-coach calling plays. Richt needs a true OC bad.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #164
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
But I agree with him. LSU won't finish #3. That's a pretty good bet. I mean to finish exactly #3.

I think LSU will not finish #3 or higher. Too much going on on the emotion roller coaster for them to be able to keep it up for 11 games + a bowl. I would be very very impressed with Les Miles, who I always considered mediocre anyway, if he could guide this team to an 11-1 season considering what many of the players and the university must be going through. If they finish 10-1, I would be very surprised to not see them in the national championship game as the sentimental pick, barring 2 undefeated teams (exc. Louisville) ahead of them.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #165
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
If LSU finishes #3, I'll eat my shoe.

I still think no SEC team should be in the top 10 this year. Most overrated conference in the country. Even the good teams aren't very good. (Alabama? Auburn? South Cackillacky?)

The SEC is gonna get smoked... AGAIN.... this bowl season.