Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Civ4 - where the hell do all the barbarians come from

I was playing a Prince level mod called FEX Epic. And the Barbarians just kept coming eventually destroying the drive I had towards a good civ game. SO, I sent some units out to scout around to find where they were coming from, perhaps a city somewhere and I couldnt find them anywhere. SO I ask, do they just amterialize out of a square or do they have to come from a city or else they would be animals?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think they come from Ohio. Just a guess.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

"Ugmar Barbarian, THE Ohio State University."
Old 11-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
oykib
College Starter

Barbarians can come out of any fog of war tile. So send a scout to explore all the areas around you.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Goodie huts gone bad!

(don't know if Civ 4 even has goodie huts...)
Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, they hide out where you either haven't been, or where you've been but haven't explored recently. My experience is that they camp in any unoccupied area that they can, until their ability to set up a camp is "cultured" away. Once they are squeezed off the map, they're gone. Until then, they cause quite a problem. I've played 2 games on oceanless maps (highlands and lakes), and they were around forever.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-27-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Barbarians can set up cities now too, though, can't they?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Vince
Pro Starter

Yup, and build workers to improve the land, as well. It was real weird the first time I saw a barbarian city with a worker in it.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 AM   #9
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

Of course they can. Just because they're barbarians doesn't mean they aren't CIVILIZED.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

.. and build wonders as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
gi
College Prospect

I'm begining to loath barbarians. Has anyone check the option to remove them? If so, do the goodie huts remain?
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yeah, they hide out where you either haven't been, or where you've been but haven't explored recently. My experience is that they camp in any unoccupied area that they can, until their ability to set up a camp is "cultured" away. Once they are squeezed off the map, they're gone. Until then, they cause quite a problem. I've played 2 games on oceanless maps (highlands and lakes), and they were around forever.

Yeah, barbarians will pop up in any dark "greyed" area. They are a huge pain until later in the game when they have pretty much been wiped out/the world fully explored.

I have found two ways to deal with them, depending on your terrian.

1) If you have a lot of plains/desert, I found the best way to keep barbarians at bay is to have "outriders," either chariots or mounted archers. Have them for a perimeter around your "civ." The trick is to avoid having the barbarians getting too close to your cities/improvements. You should be able to handle them relatively easily without fear of having them ruin your improvements/capture workers.

2) If you are in a forested/jungle region, I tend to use foot troops to form a perimeter around the civ. Placing them on hills expands their line of sight (making the grey areas further out) and also gives them a defensive bonus. Barbarians will typically (though not always) attack a unit that's nearby.

The problem with both of these tactics, however, is that your military is being used to fend off barbarians, instead of other civs, and it can drain your resources depending on how many fronts you have.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
I'm begining to loath barbarians. Has anyone check the option to remove them? If so, do the goodie huts remain?

I usually play without barbarians... I have a hard enough time playing on Noble without having to fend off barbarians early.

And yes, you still get huts with barbarians off.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I usually play without barbarians... I have a hard enough time playing on Noble without having to fend off barbarians early.

And yes, you still get huts with barbarians off.

Hmm...I was hoping that would turn off the huts too. One thing I've noticed, is that luck seems to be too much of a factor with the huts. If you get a settler out of the huts, you are by far, way ahead of all the other civs. Anyone know if you can turn them off too? Sorry about the threadjack.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Ever since Civ1, the barbarians come from the black squares.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #16
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

gaul
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
Daimyo
College Starter

The more civs you play with the less barbarians you have to deal with. In the game I'm currently playing with 18 civs on a huge map I think I only ever saw two animals and one barbarian.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Yeah. Thos fuckers can get some mildly decent cities going to. But it's always fun to destroy them.

However, they can be an absolute terror early in the game. They singlehandedly ruined one of my campaigns as i was barely getting started.

And yeah, they can come out of anywhere that you haven't fully scouted. But I see that in general they seem to keep coming from the spots they've come from previously. So build up some warriors, etc and post them around those areas.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #19
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
But I see that in general they seem to keep coming from the spots they've come from previously. So build up some warriors, etc and post them around those areas.

Definitely agreed with this. I had this one corner of a continent that I hadn't quite culturally expanded to yet, and it had three spaces with the fog of war covering them. Seemed like every other turn there was a friggin barbarian Axeman coming down to harrass my farm and iron ore mine up there. I finally just posted a scout up at the end of the continent to keep them from coming.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #20
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
I didn't know that before I started playing. I also didn't know the Terra map always had an old and new world. The first time I played a game on Terra I was very peaceful and had a decent points lead by the time I discovered astronomy. I immediately loaded up a couple gallons with missionaries, a scout, and a settler to look for other civs. When I discovered the new world I thought I'd found a new civ without any religion, and unloaded everyone near one of their cities to make peace and try to spread my state religion. The barbarions pretty quickly slaughtered all my non-combatants... and I thought "Oh cool! A barbarian civilization!"

I pretty quickly took all their cities and dominated the new world. It was pretty fitting that I was randomly assigned the Spanish for that game and used Conquistadors to slaughter the new world natives. It kind of sucks now that I know what to expect... pretty much stopped playing terra after that.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #21
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

GF (now F) sends them.

"Argh! We ruin the Civ4 game for Flasch!"
Old 11-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #22
vex
Grizzled Veteran

What I think would be cool would be if the barbarians could become actual civilizations during gameplay. For instance, if a barabaric nation had five cites, they could either be allowed as a civilization or maybe their acceptance could even be voted on by the existing civilizations.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, but how is the AI? If the AI is bad, it can ruin a good game.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #24
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
It kind of sucks now that I know what to expect... pretty much stopped playing terra after that.
My biggest wish for a patch/expansion is the option to play on a random map from the continents/terra/islands/pangea group. One game everyone would be on the same pangea-like island. In another, there would be a vast barbarian-only continent to explore. In still another, you'd be alone on an island with one other civ, with several other islands out there--some empty, others inhabited by 1-3 civs.

In short, I'd like the experience of starting out in a world that I don't know much about until I explore it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #25
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
My biggest wish for a patch/expansion is the option to play on a random map from the continents/terra/islands/pangea group. One game everyone would be on the same pangea-like island. In another, there would be a vast barbarian-only continent to explore. In still another, you'd be alone on an island with one other civ, with several other islands out there--some empty, others inhabited by 1-3 civs.

In short, I'd like the experience of starting out in a world that I don't know much about until I explore it.

I'm in 100% agreement. It's fun having no idea what's out there before you discover it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM   #26
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Hmm...I was hoping that would turn off the huts too. One thing I've noticed, is that luck seems to be too much of a factor with the huts. If you get a settler out of the huts, you are by far, way ahead of all the other civs. Anyone know if you can turn them off too? Sorry about the threadjack.

You stop getting settlers after the first couple of difficulty levels. What the huts give you is XML-moddable (and changes by level).
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #27
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

I haven't tried it, but... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=143727
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM   #28
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
You stop getting settlers after the first couple of difficulty levels. What the huts give you is XML-moddable (and changes by level).

Time for me to learn XML programming. Thanks for the insight!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
gaul

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote