Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2005, 04:28 AM   #451
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I don't think either hit was roughing. A defensive player taps a QB and Theisman is screaming roughing.

He isn't always like that. There have been instances where he has said it was the wrong call this season. Be honest about it.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #452
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

You guys think Eli would have been playing there? Why wouldn't he be the backup to Drew Brees just like Philip Rivers is? I don't understand all the nonsense from the Chargers fans anyway. You'd think they feel that Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are a pile of shit and Eli was their only chance to be good.

So he decided not to sign there. Big deal. It's not like they got stuck with Ryan Leaf again.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:24 AM   #453
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
You guys think Eli would have been playing there? Why wouldn't he be the backup to Drew Brees just like Philip Rivers is? I don't understand all the nonsense from the Chargers fans anyway. You'd think they feel that Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are a pile of shit and Eli was their only chance to be good.

So he decided not to sign there. Big deal. It's not like they got stuck with Ryan Leaf again.

I think in retrospect, it could only have been bad for San Diego had they drafted Manning.

At best they'd still be in the same situation (their big rookie QB riding the pine).

At worst they would have felt even greater pressure to play their drafted QB (Manning) because he would have been the #1 overall pick for them (vs. #3), and last year's susccess might not have happened. If that had happened, my guess is they'd probably be looking so-so right now while Brees was catching fire somewhere else around the league.

And anyway, it's not like the Chargers beat Eli Manning tonight. Manning played great, his defense just didn't show.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:48 AM   #454
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
you were so on the money

Shorty beat me to the taunt.

The Bengals will run to 4-0 next week, but they have been playing some horrific teams.

They'll have a stretch against Indy and Pittsburgh twice that will define their season. A split with Pittsburgh, and they could contend for the division title.

Thanks, NE, for putting the Bengals into the AFC North lead.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #455
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
you were so on the money

Hey, it worked last week. Had ta try.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #456
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
(Warning, warning Pats Fanboy speaking) Second of all, bush league pass interference call. Apparently the defensive player doesn't have a right to the ball if the offensive player puts his hand out behind him to prevent it. At worst, both players doing it, and most places that doesn't get called against the home team.

Actually, I'm surprised there were no comments on the Steelers' snapping the ball TWICE with "00" showing on the play clock in their tying drive with no delay of game call...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #457
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I swear it looked like a false start on that interference play to Morgan.

That call was weak. It looked like the ref was not going to throw the flag until he saw Morgan drop the ball.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 09-26-2005 at 10:27 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM   #458
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Damn you Norv Turner
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #459
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Actually, I'm surprised there were no comments on the Steelers' snapping the ball TWICE with "00" showing on the play clock in their tying drive with no delay of game call...

I see that all the time. I have given up on trying to figure out this phenomenon and stopped paying it any mind..

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #460
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
I see that all the time. I have given up on trying to figure out this phenomenon and stopped paying it any mind..

According to various announcers it's because it takes roughly a second for the ref to react in seeing the 0 and the snap not taking place. If they snap it right on zero there is no way the flag could be in the air yet.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 09-26-2005 at 10:59 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 AM   #461
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061

Since there is no buzzer that sounds, there is a ref that is responsible for checking the play clock in the stadium. My assumption on the 00 play clock is that it is still 0.4 seconds or something like that.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #462
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
According to various announcers it's because it takes roughly a second for the ref to react in seeing the 0 and the snap not taking place. If they snap it right on zero there is no way the flag could be in the air yet.

Doesn't matter, you can still throw the flag and whistle the play dead. They do it all the time on a false start or offsides and unabated all the time.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #463
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Since there is no buzzer that sounds, there is a ref that is responsible for checking the play clock in the stadium. My assumption on the 00 play clock is that it is still 0.4 seconds or something like that.

That was my initial reasoning, but I've seen them wait over a second a few times, and I've seen them blow the whistle right when 00 strikes.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #464
henry296
College Starter

Takeo Spikes out for season with Achilles injury.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #465
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Harrison done for the year with a torn ACL
Old 09-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #466
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Harrison done for the year with a torn ACL

and there was much gnashing of teeth and tears in NE. Gus Scott is his backup no? Gotta say I'm a little worried. I'd feel a whole lot better if Bruschi magically reappeared (he's not ineligable to play the whole season right...conceivably he could decide to return and spark the team!)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #467
Swaggs
Coordinator

ESPN reporting that the timekeeper in the PIT-NE game yesterday mistakenly put an extra 52 seconds on the clock after a penalty in the fourth quarter. The line judge did not catch the mistake, so no one noticed until afterwards. NFL is reviewing it.

Can't say I have ever seen anything like that happen before. You would think someone on one of the coaching staffs would have noticed.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #468
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
ESPN reporting that the timekeeper in the PIT-NE game yesterday mistakenly put an extra 52 seconds on the clock after a penalty in the fourth quarter. The line judge did not catch the mistake, so no one noticed until afterwards. NFL is reviewing it.

Can't say I have ever seen anything like that happen before. You would think someone on one of the coaching staffs would have noticed.

more detail...after which penalty?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #469
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The NFL confirmed it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2173143
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #470
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

With it that far back in the 4th quarter, I doubt it had a noticable outcome. Everyone's clock management would have changed.

Besides, without the 2 missed delay-of-game penalties, the Steelers would not have tied it anyway...
Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #471
kingfc22
Head Coach

And that game was in PIT. So much for home-field advantage.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #472
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

alright, so this is a big deal, but it's not like it happened at the end of the game. in reality, the error was of dubious benefit. You could just as easily argue that the extra time affected the Steeler's playcalls towards the end of the game as you could argue that it gave Brady "extra" time. All in all, I think it's a wash. You can't say definitively the game would have ended differently either way since the error occured with so much time left on the clock.

edit: for clarity

what i mean to say is take those 50-whatever seconds away and you have the steelers trying to score with 30 seconds on the clock, not 1:30. That affects both their playcalling and the NE defensive playcalling. i'm betting the pats would have stopped them from scoring in that case and won anyways

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-26-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #473
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
alright, so this is a big deal, but it's not like it happened at the end of the game. in reality, the error was of dubious benefit. You could just as easily argue that the extra time affected the Steeler's playcalls towards the end of the game as you could argue that it gave Brady "extra" time. All in all, I think it's a wash. You can't say definitively the game would have ended differently either way since the error occured with so much time left on the clock.

edit: for clarity

what i mean to say is take those 50-whatever seconds away and you have the steelers trying to score with 30 seconds on the clock, not 1:30. That affects both their playcalling and the NE defensive playcalling. i'm betting the pats would have stopped them from scoring in that case and won anyways

The Steelers actually had three time outs, so I would argue with you just a bit. That said, I'm not trying to take away the Pats' win. I'm a Steelers' fan, but I didn't think either team looked that super yesterday, so I'm not too disappointed by the loss.

My general shock is that these are two of the best coaching staffs in the NFL and I cannot believe that with all the men in headsets watching video during the game, that no one complained about it on the very next play. The announcers didn't say anything about it. I watched the whole game pretty carefully and I missed it, as well. Pretty hard to believe.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #474
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Brook it is

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2172700
Report: Jets QB Chad Pennington out for seasonAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Jets quarterback Chad Pennington will miss the rest of the season because of a torn right rotator cuff, The Associated Press learned Monday night.

Pennington's injury was confirmed by a person with knowledge of his condition, but who declined to be identified because the team had not made an official announcement.

An MRI exam showed Pennington tore his rotator cuff in Sunday's 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville. The NFL Network originally reported the injury, the second time Pennington has had this tear in less than a year.

Pennington was expected to visit noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Alabama on Tuesday.

The Jets were already preparing for third-string QB Brooks Bollinger to lead the team Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Pennington, who had offseason surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, was sacked on consecutive plays during the Jets' first series of the second half against Jacksonville. On third-and-11, Pennington was taken down by Bobby McCray and the quarterback fumbled for the second straight down and recovered the ball, but his shoulder was injured on the play.

His backup Jay Fiedler came in, but was hit while completing a 16-yard pass to Justin McCareins -- his sixth play in place of Pennington -- with 13:09 left in the fourth quarter. A downcast Fiedler indicated after the game that he was fearing the worst.

"I kind of landed with my arm above my shoulder and I felt something go," he said Sunday. "I knew I wasn't going to be able to throw a football."

Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger told The New York Times that Fiedler will definitely be out for Sunday's game against the Ravens.

Pennington came back to lead the Jets on two scoring drives, both capped by field goals, but clearly was hurting and said after the game that the injury felt "similar to last year." Even so, Edwards thought he and Pennington had made the right call by letting him back in against the Jaguars instead of going with Bollinger -- though the play calling was limited by Pennington not being able to throw long.

"He gave us the best chance to do what we needed to do to win the game," Edwards said. "I had reservations, but he was able to go in and do some things."

The Jets are bringing in three quarterbacks -- Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer and Jonathan Quinn -- for a tryout, ESPN's John Clayton has learned.

Another player who might be considered is former Dallas starter Quincy Carter, who played for the Jets in 2004 and started three games.

As for Bollinger, he's looking at his NFL starting debut as a chance to show the Jets what he can do -- but he's focused on the task at hand: beating the Ravens.

"I think anytime you get an opportunity in there as a quarterback, especially not being a first-round pick or whatever, it's an unbelievable opportunity," he said. "It can turn into anything, but again, there's enough on my mind and I have enough to worry about this week that whatever it turns out to be down the road, fine, great, but I'm just worried about this week."
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #475
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Matt Leinart?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #476
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

they're bringing in The Bachelor for a tryout!!!!

FM
Old 09-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #477
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh yeah I meant to add this........QUINCY CARTER?! LOL
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:43 PM   #478
korme
Go Reds

Honestly it would be cool to see Leinart go to the Browns. Think of the rivalry that already is Browns/Bengals and then to have the 2 men taking snaps from under center were both former Trojans/Heisman winners.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #479
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Denver 17 - KC 0