Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Other than that though, it's the best my-player mode of any sport I've played

+ 999,999,999,999,999
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #452
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How many min quarters are you guys playing in the My Player mode?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #453
korme
Go Reds

12 baby. It takes about an hour to play a game once you're a star and getting ~40 min pg.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #454
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

you get pretty realistic stats at 12 min quarters?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #455
korme
Go Reds

yes, regarding scores, and team stats per game.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #456
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Derek Fisher grows a playoff beard in the game.

That alone is worth the price of purchase.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #457
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Do you console guys have the array of photographers/cameramen on the opposite side of the basket as the mop guy?

I just found out they were interactive as well. Jumped over one in a play.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #458
rowech
Pro Starter

Best BUy had this on sale for $30 this week so I bought it. I've played two games and got crushed both games. I'm wondering a couple of things...

1. What are the yellow bars that come up while on offense. They look kinda like a cell phone's signal strength or battery life bars.

2. What is the bar under the players that goes from green to yellow, etc.

3. How can I generate more movement on offense such as picking for a player up top and then rolling from that?

I like what I see and enjoyed playing despite being crushed but quite frankly, the manual is the worst I've ever seen in a game and you can't get anything out of it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #459
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Best BUy had this on sale for $30 this week so I bought it. I've played two games and got crushed both games. I'm wondering a couple of things...

1. What are the yellow bars that come up while on offense. They look kinda like a cell phone's signal strength or battery life bars.

2. What is the bar under the players that goes from green to yellow, etc.

3. How can I generate more movement on offense such as picking for a player up top and then rolling from that?

I like what I see and enjoyed playing despite being crushed but quite frankly, the manual is the worst I've ever seen in a game and you can't get anything out of it.

1) Shooting range. Anything over 2 bars is very good, 1 bar and you probably shouldn't be jacking it up unless you are completely open. 0 bars and you aren't hitting the shot, period.

2) I think you are referring to the stamina/energy/fatigue bar. It changes color when you have turbo held down and if turbo reaches 0, it starts draining the bar real fast (i.e. your playing is losing stamina/energy fast)

3) Calling plays makes a huge difference (and setting up your plays first) in terms of people to move on offense. Right on the dpad is the way to bring up the dialog and should be pretty self explanatory from there. I think there are also settings you can tweak in terms of motion but I personally haven't tried it. Calling a variety of plays seems to work fine for me and gets me enough open looks.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #460
gstelmack
Pro Starter

From reading this the My Player mode is pretty good. Does that go for PC as well? May have to pick this up given how down everyone is on MLB 2k11. Looking for a good My Player mode, bored with Madden, and the one in FIFA 11 sucks because your teammates suck.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #461
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
1) Shooting range. Anything over 2 bars is very good, 1 bar and you probably shouldn't be jacking it up unless you are completely open. 0 bars and you aren't hitting the shot, period.

The bars's colors also represent your player's heat check. If it's red, he's on fire... and if it's blue, then he's gone cold.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #462
rowech
Pro Starter

That helps a lot. Thanks for all that info guys. It'll at least help me to get some better shots.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #463
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
From reading this the My Player mode is pretty good. Does that go for PC as well? May have to pick this up given how down everyone is on MLB 2k11. Looking for a good My Player mode, bored with Madden, and the one in FIFA 11 sucks because your teammates suck.

Pretty good is an understatement. May be the best My Player mode in any game, ever. That may sound fanboyish but tis is coming from someone that is not a basketball fan. I rate basketball below baseball, hockey, football, lacrosse and soccer. But I LOVE this mode,in fact I have bee loving the franchise mode just as much since I tried it.

The hit this one out of the park big time.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #464
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Pretty good is an understatement. May be the best My Player mode in any game, ever. That may sound fanboyish but tis is coming from someone that is not a basketball fan. I rate basketball below baseball, hockey, football, lacrosse and soccer. But I LOVE this mode,in fact I have bee loving the franchise mode just as much since I tried it.

The hit this one out of the park big time.

I get that impression, I just want to make sure that applies to the PC as well as 360 and PS3. Too many of these sports games are released on PC but using older tech, so may not be up-to-snuff with the console versions. NBA 2k11 sounds like it breaks that mold, but I want to be sure before I drop $20 on it on Steam.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #465
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Ah, got it. My experience is on 360, not sure how the PC version plays.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:31 AM   #466
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
I get that impression, I just want to make sure that applies to the PC as well as 360 and PS3. Too many of these sports games are released on PC but using older tech, so may not be up-to-snuff with the console versions. NBA 2k11 sounds like it breaks that mold, but I want to be sure before I drop $20 on it on Steam.

If you have a gaming rig that's up to the challenge, the PC version on full video settings is much better than the HD console versions.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #467
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
If you have a gaming rig that's up to the challenge, the PC version on full video settings is much better than the HD console versions.

Yeah, my rig should be up to the challenge, although graphics isn't the key point here, it's gameply for MyPlayer - is MyPlayer on PC up to the same gameplay standards as MyPlayer on the consoles?

I'll probably just have to end up buying it and find out...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #468
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, my rig should be up to the challenge, although graphics isn't the key point here, it's gameply for MyPlayer - is MyPlayer on PC up to the same gameplay standards as MyPlayer on the consoles?

It's the exact same thing.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #469
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's the exact same thing.

Awesome, and all the more reason to support the PC release to hope the trend continues.

I'll pick it up shortly.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #470
bhlloy
Coordinator

The one thing, and I think it's the only thing right now, that I can fault with this game is the damn team chemistry. I'm 32-18, second in the conference with the Clippers (that's the one playoffs in 15 years Clippers) and my team chemistry is now below 30%. I can go on 5 game winning streaks and it raises maybe a point, and as soon as I lose one, even to an elite team it drops 4 or 5 points.

Wouldn't care but once you get low enough your player attributes start dropping and your team noticeably doesn't play as well on the floor. Just by doing a quick google-fu it seems this is a known issue that the developers can't/won't explain. Very frustrating.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #471
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've played 70+ games of my player, and I don't even know where the team chemistry is displayed.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #472
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

PC version is an straight port from the 360, so it plays exactly the same, and graphics are way way better with all maxed out, and there are tons of graphics mods available for shoes, arenas, players body and faces models, etc.

I sold my PS3 version once the PC version was patched (that is the only problem of the PC version, patches take months to be released, but as it's already patched as the console versions and there won't be more patches it's not an issue right now).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #473
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The one thing, and I think it's the only thing right now, that I can fault with this game is the damn team chemistry. I'm 32-18, second in the conference with the Clippers (that's the one playoffs in 15 years Clippers) and my team chemistry is now below 30%. I can go on 5 game winning streaks and it raises maybe a point, and as soon as I lose one, even to an elite team it drops 4 or 5 points.

Wouldn't care but once you get low enough your player attributes start dropping and your team noticeably doesn't play as well on the floor. Just by doing a quick google-fu it seems this is a known issue that the developers can't/won't explain. Very frustrating.

I know it doesn't help with "my player" mode but team chemistry is very heavily weighted towards unhappy players. I used to have horrible team chemistry in my dynasty, but my making sure I got rid of any unhappy players, my chemistry has gone through the roof. Now, I get 2-3 points for a win and only drop 1 point for a loss. The team chemistry really makes it impossible to stockpile too much talent, makes it a necessity to trade players who are demanding a trade, and I think it works better than any console sports game out there.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #474
rowech
Pro Starter

Getting sucked into this game a bit despite being horrible. I have a feeling most of it is due to me trying to steal the ball from every guy and not understanding how to run plays well. So some questions...

1. How do I call for a pick? Is that possible? If I hit L1, all the Icons come up and I have no idea what to do form there.

2. Is there a way to direct my player to make a cut?

3. How do I do a basic give-and-go? Can I control the player making the cut after the original pass to make him more open?

4. Can you overuse Turbo to make it too difficult to control a player? I feel like thaqt might be happening to me but then I can't figure out a way to get to the basket easier.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #475
whomario
Pro Starter

1) you have to hold the L1 button i think, not just click it

2) you can, i can´t recall how though. It is in the the controller help that you can access during the game in the options menu.

4)Definitely. You shouldn´t use the power button unless you have gone past your oponent and have a clear path, that´s the rule here really. Isomotion is key here, specifically you need to get the defender off balance and then make your move with a crossover for example.
Just stick with it, after a while you get a feel for when to use or let go of turbo. I mean, if you watch a real game, how often do players really go full speed with the ball in their hand unless they have a relatively clear path ? Especially in Pick and Roll situations you should really try to ignore any urge to use the power button, makes it much easier to a) get past the pick and b) to make a good pass.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #476
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I know it doesn't help with "my player" mode but team chemistry is very heavily weighted towards unhappy players. I used to have horrible team chemistry in my dynasty, but my making sure I got rid of any unhappy players, my chemistry has gone through the roof. Now, I get 2-3 points for a win and only drop 1 point for a loss. The team chemistry really makes it impossible to stockpile too much talent, makes it a necessity to trade players who are demanding a trade, and I think it works better than any console sports game out there.

Thing is, I don't have a single guy who is unhappy. I've got a team full of young players who don't expect much PT and most of them are pleased or above. It's also not personality clashes as I think 95% of my players are either laid-back or neutral (try to stay away from unpredictable like the plague)

The one thing it probably is - the game is penalizing me for making trades (I read that somewhere) but if it is, that's stupid and poor design. a) I'm only halfway through the season and I've made 3 trades which doesn't seem an unreasonable number (and 1 trade was a guy I just picked up) b) I traded away guys who didn't fit in for young guys who didn't want much PT and fit in with the personality of my squad and c) my trades have led to the freaking Clippers being 2nd in the conference halfway through the season.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #477
whomario
Pro Starter

@ rowech :

It´s áctually clicking L1 and then holding the respective button for each player to have him set a pick, my bad.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #478
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Getting sucked into this game a bit despite being horrible. I have a feeling most of it is due to me trying to steal the ball from every guy and not understanding how to run plays well. So some questions...

1. How do I call for a pick? Is that possible? If I hit L1, all the Icons come up and I have no idea what to do form there.

2. Is there a way to direct my player to make a cut?

3. How do I do a basic give-and-go? Can I control the player making the cut after the original pass to make him more open?

4. Can you overuse Turbo to make it too difficult to control a player? I feel like thaqt might be happening to me but then I can't figure out a way to get to the basket easier.

To answer the ones that Whomario didn't cover:

2) I believe it's click R1, click the player button and then RS to direct them where to make the cut. It's too much work for me to ever have mastered, I don't use it

3) Hold down A and then release it to make the return pass. I believe you retain control of the player after making the pass but I don't really use this either as it led to a ton of turnovers for me
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #479
rowech
Pro Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll give it another try tomorrow. I'm not an NBA fan by any means but am definitely enjoying the game.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #480
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Aside from needing to figure out what differentiates a "good pass" from a "bad pass", hating that taking a wide-open 3 results in a "poor shot selection" (presumably because I didn't wait for something less risky), and getting burned because the defensive indicator switches to someone at the other side of the 3-point line right before he fires up a 3 when I'm guarding a guy down low and me getting dinged for "letting my man score", I'm enjoying this. I suck at defense and am still figuring out shooting, but definitely interesting, and does look great on my PC.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #481
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Never pass in traffic.

Taking a wide-open 3 when you have a crappy 3-point shot rating will always result in a bad shot selection.

Be aware of the defensive switches. Specifically, learn from your mistakes, specially on pick-and-rolls.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #482
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thing is, I don't have a single guy who is unhappy. I've got a team full of young players who don't expect much PT and most of them are pleased or above. It's also not personality clashes as I think 95% of my players are either laid-back or neutral (try to stay away from unpredictable like the plague)

The one thing it probably is - the game is penalizing me for making trades (I read that somewhere) but if it is, that's stupid and poor design. a) I'm only halfway through the season and I've made 3 trades which doesn't seem an unreasonable number (and 1 trade was a guy I just picked up) b) I traded away guys who didn't fit in for young guys who didn't want much PT and fit in with the personality of my squad and c) my trades have led to the freaking Clippers being 2nd in the conference halfway through the season.

Ahh, maybe I just got lucky then. For whatever reason, I have guys who are all happy and my chemistry is sky high. Although, I do remember it dropping after the trades and it taking some time for my new guys to "jell."
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #483
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Have you checked to see if their astrological signs match?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #484
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Never pass in traffic.

FWIW, it's more than that. For example, if you're the inbounder after a basket and you hit "A" to pass, it won't pass to the PG in front of you, it will pass to the next guy across the court. That results in a minor "bad pass selection" penalty. Have to remember to move the stick to point at the PG. Not sure why that's not the default.

Also, if I'm bringing the ball up the court, start to get close a man coming out to press, and pass to a guy on the wing, I'll often get a "bad pass selection" penalty.

The worst is NBA 2k11 has FIFA soccer disease and sometimes throws to the wrong guy, which leads to a "bad pass selection" choice.

But yeah, I'm learning from the penalties. The feedback is great here, and I'm looking for the patterns. I even managed a B- teammate grade the other day, and my worst penalties come from poor defense. I'm getting better at following my man.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #485
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also, if I'm bringing the ball up the court, start to get close a man coming out to press, and pass to a guy on the wing, I'll often get a "bad pass selection" penalty.

If the open guy at the wing has piss-poor shooting, that results in a bad pass selection.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #486
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
But yeah, I'm learning from the penalties. The feedback is great here, and I'm looking for the patterns. I even managed a B- teammate grade the other day, and my worst penalties come from poor defense. I'm getting better at following my man.

Setting screens on offense (holding down B on the 360 controller) is an easy and effective way to start increasing your teammate grade without risk of turnover/bad pass.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #487
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Setting screens on offense (holding down B on the 360 controller) is an easy and effective way to start increasing your teammate grade without risk of turnover/bad pass.

Ah, there's a button for that. I keep setting screens without actually pressing a button. Maybe that will help.

I need to dig out the controller configuration and figure all of this out. The game taught me the basics, but I'm missing some of these other bits.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #488
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, an on-ball screen on offense can boost your teammate grade almost as much as sinking a basket...but it's a lot easier to do, and can occasionally be done multiple times per possession.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-04-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #489
sooner333
College Starter

I am an undersized shooting guard who shoots a lot. My method for not risking bad pass/turnovers is to not pass the ball very often once I get it. I get a lot of "quality shot" bonuses. I will pass when the play requires, but one of my favorite plays that gets called has me catching the ball off a screen, passing it to Amare Stoudemire, then I will run around him on the baseline as a pick, and he will either be double team and pass to me or he'll shoot. Either way I get a good look at a shot or I get an assist.

I like my role with the Knicks and I now regret requesting a trade to the Thunder. I haven't been traded yet though. I can't find a way to undo my trade request.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #490
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Is there a stat that's tied to how many offensive "looks" you get, or how often you get passed to? I've played 70+ games on my player, and am a starter pulling 35+ minutes, but I still probably only see the ball passed to me literally ten times a game, at most. That said, I was created as a rebounder, and have horrible offensive stats, so there's definitely good reason NOT to pass to me, and I don't particularly want the ball that much more, I'm just wondering if it's tied to a specific stat?

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-04-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #491
rjolley
College Starter

For my career as a PF, the beginning of my career was mostly setting picks, rebounding, and shooting in close. This allowed me to get high grades in short playing time and to get a feel of the game since I was rather new at it.

Now, I do the same things, but they're actually looking for me a lot.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #492
korme
Go Reds

the sloppy, try running around and hitting a or x to ask for the ball.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #493
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there a stat that's tied to how many offensive "looks" you get, or how often you get passed to? I've played 70+ games on my player, and am a starter pulling 35+ minutes, but I still probably only see the ball passed to me literally ten times a game, at most. That said, I was created as a rebounder, and have horrible offensive stats, so there's definitely good reason NOT to pass to me, and I don't particularly want the ball that much more, I'm just wondering if it's tied to a specific stat?

My guess is that you asked and answered your question. Since you were created as a rebounder and not an offensive player that would limit your chances. I have also noticed that my chances when up when my offensive skills improved and I kept my teammate grade up.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #494
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: as korme said; you can also ask for the pass but you will get penalized of you do that too much or at the wrong times and your teammate grade will drop.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #495
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, me and the 'ask for pass' button don't get along very well. 9 out of 10 times everybody just ignores me, and invariably when they DO try to pass to me, it's only when I've hit the A button by mistake.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #496
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Playing as a center, once I got my inside game up to a high level, I started getting the ball in post-up situations a lot more. Teammate chemistry also helps you get the ball more.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #497
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Thanks for the replies, dudes. I've been really good at not improving the 'offensive awareness' stat, because it's the kind of stat that sounds like it only affects the AI, but I wonder if that also feeds into how few looks I'm getting.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #498
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, me and the 'ask for pass' button don't get along very well. 9 out of 10 times everybody just ignores me, and invariably when they DO try to pass to me, it's only when I've hit the A button by mistake.

Plus you can get hit with "bad ask for pass" penalties on your teammate grade if you ask at bad times.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #499
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, dudes. I've been really good at not improving the 'offensive awareness' stat, because it's the kind of stat that sounds like it only affects the AI, but I wonder if that also feeds into how few looks I'm getting.

FWIW I've had a 15 PPG guy without even touching offensive awareness at all so I don't think it's that. I think it's somewhat of a catch 22 as when you hit a couple of shots they seem to keep going back to you, but a good consistent teammate grade definitely helps as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #500
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've been really good at not improving the 'offensive awareness' stat, because it's the kind of stat that sounds like it only affects the AI,

So that begs a question: what stats are a waste of time to improve on MyPlayer?