Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #451
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, I like Andy and I thought this episode was going to end with him rising up like he did and getting his job back with nellie being off the show. What a disappointing result. If she is the manager going forward, im done watching.

The worst two characters on the show in order are her and RObert California who is now a bubbling and spineless idiot.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #452
Danny
Head Coach

What really makes this show work over all the season was likeable / interesting characters that you could root for. Nellie and Robert are neither interesting nor likeable.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #453
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Andy losing his job makes his eventual redemption even more enjoyable. No question the Brit bitch is an awful character, but that makes her fall something to watch for. If Andy had triumphed last night it would have trivialized the buildup.

As long as they have gags like "Penial Softiosis" and Creed commenting in the background, I'm in.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #454
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What really makes this show work over all the season was likeable / interesting characters that you could root for. Nellie and Robert are neither interesting nor likeable.

Well, Robert is gone next season. Nelly might be another matter.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #455
Danny
Head Coach

Last night's episode was actually good.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #456
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, but who came up with the Nelly character? that is just brutal to watch
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #457
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Is this the attempt to fix a screwed up season? Seems like it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #458
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought the first episode was pretty solid.

The "Plop" and "Dwight Jr." characters seemed like they have potential and the story lines with Jim/Pam and Oscar/Angela seem promising.

Loved Creed's testimonial at the end ("there were Jim and Dwight impersonators").
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #459
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I thought the first episode was pretty solid.

The "Plop" and "Dwight Jr." characters seemed like they have potential and the story lines with Jim/Pam and Oscar/Angela seem promising.

Loved Creed's testimonial at the end ("there were Jim and Dwight impersonators").

"All in the day of a dog food company"

I had high hopes that this could be a great final season because Greg Daniels was coming back. There are some good potential storylines being developed and some funny moments. It's a good start, but I'm hoping for even better.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #460
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
"All in the day of a dog food company"

I had high hopes that this could be a great final season because Greg Daniels was coming back. There are some good potential storylines being developed and some funny moments. It's a good start, but I'm hoping for even better.

Great point. The worst part of the episode was when they were tying up the storylines from last season. Other than that, it's an auspicious beginning.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #461
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That was horrible -- we only got through 15 minutes.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #462
Swaggs
Coordinator

Must have been the pilot for Dwight's spinoff.

Was terrible.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #463
saldana
Pro Starter

the best part was Packer's license plate
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #464
GrantDawg

Quote:
Must have been the pilot for Dwight's spinoff.

Was terrible.

Even my daughter said "yeah, I can see why that didn't get picked up."
Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #465
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It didn't get picked up? Then why did they air it?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #466
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think they must have filmed it for the spin off, the network recognized it was terrible, and then weaved it into the Packer storyline.

Since the show is ending, maybe they decided to use it as an opportunity to have Dwight leave Dunder Mifflin.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #467
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

even as the show has declined, I have enjoyed it. but that was one of the most painful 30 minutes of TV that I can remember.

I wasn't aware that the spinoff had been canceled, but thank God someone came to their senses. Holy cow that was as bad as bad can get.

I feel that the Dwight character has really lost his way over the years. Instead of some high-strung oddball with no self-awareness he's turned into some creepy, unfunny Amish bully. Too bad - he used to be extremely entertaining.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #468
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah that was a horrible, horrible episode! This show needs to end, and soon.

I can't believe that the original creators returned for this season and gave us this. Talk about having no direction at all. Remember Andy as the lovable loser that the team rallied behind? This season he has been one of the least likeable characters of any show that I can remember.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #469
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The only thing I have even kind of liked about the recent episodes was a few good pranks on Dwight. The whole sound guy getting involved stuff was just stupid, and everything has sort of splintered into this mess. I just wonder what the finale is going to be like. I'm hoping the company finally goes under and they have one last office party before they all end up without jobs. Maybe old cast members show up, some kind of post script is added, and there are a few flashbacks or the good stuff.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #470
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The cupcake aftermath was funny.. but the rest was meh...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #471
Danny
Head Coach

Most of this season hasn't been great, but last nights episode was fantastic
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #472
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

disagree with the first part but very much agree with the second. definitely one of the better episodes in a while.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #473
Danny
Head Coach

This season has been ok, sod good ones, some not so good ones, didnt like the Jim-Pam sound boom guy stuff
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #474
Logan
Head Coach

Bump for tonight's series finale. There's an hour long "retrospective" airing before as well.

I like that they chose to advance the story six months for the final episode.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #475
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to miss you..
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #476
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What Todd said. Last two seasons were not... good, and loyalty is all that has kept me around, but a couple of episodes have still managed to hit, and its easily one of my top 5 TV shows of the past 10 years (Arrested Development, Firefly, The Wire - with others like Community et all closeby).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #477
GrantDawg

Goodbye's suck.

That was one of the best series finally's ever in my book.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #478
samifan24
Pro Starter

I enjoyed tonight's finale despite not watching the show for at least the last three seasons. At its height it was an incredible comedy and paved the way for the now famous mockumentary style we see in so many shows today. I own the first four or five seasons on DVD and just started watching them in order again with my girlfriend. Revisiting those characters again is a lot of fun.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #479
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I enjoyed tonight's finale despite not watching the show for at least the last three seasons. At its height it was an incredible comedy and paved the way for the now famous mockumentary style we see in so many shows today. I own the first four or five seasons on DVD and just started watching them in order again with my girlfriend. Revisiting those characters again is a lot of fun.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

Fantastic finale. I had a grin across my face the entire time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #480
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

You can't do a finale much better than that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #481
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

I could not stop beaming like a christmas tree throughout it, especially Michael's one liner. And that painting of the office always killed me.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #482
chinaski
College Prospect

Fantastic way to wrap it up, got a little choked up even. Last couple seasons have been a little meh to me, but im really going to miss it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #483
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was a good episode. I thought Erin finding her mom was a little over the top, but her dad being there was dumb.

I will miss it!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #484
Swaggs
Coordinator

Really enjoyed the finale, as well. Broad range of emotions. Creed was amazing -- from them finally acknowledging/recognizing who he is/was to his final scene with the cops. I liked the Kevin stuff, too.

The only nicks I would give it is that there was no Jan or Karen (not even a mention, unless I missed it) or Holly (sort of explained, with the children presumably) and that it would have been an A+ if Michael would have come to the after party. It seemed a little disappointing not to have him sitting around, reminiscing with the rest of the crew. I'm sure those were all casting issues, so not a huge issue with it, just would have felt more complete to me.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #485
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I could not have been more pleased. What a way to end an incredible show. It fell flat last season after Michael left in season 7, but they really picked it up and sent it off well this year. Great, great show.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #486
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Really enjoyed the finale, as well. Broad range of emotions. Creed was amazing -- from them finally acknowledging/recognizing who he is/was to his final scene with the cops. I liked the Kevin stuff, too.

The only nicks I would give it is that there was no Jan or Karen (not even a mention, unless I missed it) or Holly (sort of explained, with the children presumably) and that it would have been an A+ if Michael would have come to the after party. It seemed a little disappointing not to have him sitting around, reminiscing with the rest of the crew. I'm sure those were all casting issues, so not a huge issue with it, just would have felt more complete to me.

I liked it - he didn't want to overshadow the cast, which made sense, and his two lines of economy were enough - plus Pam's line about Michael finally having a "family plan?" If that didn't make you jump with joy, you're dead on the inside.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #487
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I liked it - he didn't want to overshadow the cast, which made sense, and his two lines of economy were enough - plus Pam's line about Michael finally having a "family plan?" If that didn't make you jump with joy, you're dead on the inside.

Yeah. Plus, I'm pretty sure "Shrute Farms" is an off campus site. They worked hard to try and keep Micheal's return a secret, and I don't think they could have if he actually did anything on set.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #488
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I've watched the retrospective and finale twice. I don't think they could have done it any better.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #489
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I felt the opposite of how I felt about the Seinfeld finale (loved it, though many didn't). Too happy. Not that I don't like the characters, but it seemed more to play off our emotions about these characters, built over nine years, than to advance our own experience watching. It's nice that everyone had an ending. But too much "oh look, it's Erin's long-lost mother" and "oh, look, Michael and Holly have kids" and "oh look, Pam secretly sold the house perfectly on cue and Jim's going to be a big success in Austin" and "oh look, Dwight's really a kind, unselfish leader after all."

I don't think it was necessary. The Creed stuff was funny. The gag with people giving Angela cats as a wedding gift was funny. Otherwise, it was all just a little tediously happy, and a reminder that even a little Steve Carell is pretty good - he is one of those true comedy geniuses.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #490
chadritt
High School Varsity

Im the weird guy who wasnt bothered by the erins parents thing. Maybe its because, in my experience, that does happen with reality show/documentary participants/people who get famous?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #491
Daimyo
College Starter

Great finale, up there with Six Feet Under for best finale.

I actually thought the whole final season was solid which surprised me because last season was horrible.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #492
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Based on my Twitter feed and here, I guess I'm one of the only people that didn't like the finale.

Good riddance, that show got sooooo bad.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #493
Danny
Head Coach

The Erin parents thing was corny, but so is Erin, so it fit with the character.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #494
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Based on my Twitter feed and here, I guess I'm one of the only people that didn't like the finale.

Good riddance, that show got sooooo bad.

/tk

No, we're with you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #495
Danny
Head Coach

You both know nothing
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #496
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Finale was awesome.. I'm really going to miss this show.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #497
Izulde
Head Coach

I thought the finale was brilliant in terms of the sense of satisfaction and closure it gave to the experience, which not too many TV series or novels for that matter, manage to successfully pull off. So I loved it.

I agree Season 8 and most of Season 9 (bar the last few episodes) fell short of the standard set up by the earlier seasons, and I absolutely hated Will Ferrell (thankfully that was only a short run), B.J. Novak's Ryan character, and Gabe.

But overall, this was an amazing series that I could see myself watching episodes of again and again, which I didn't think would be the case when I started watching it a couple months ago I think it was, as I had doubts about the whole mockumentary premise.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #498
Izulde
Head Coach

So I tried the British version of The Office. Gave up after about 10-15 minutes.

The big difference between Ricky Gervais and Steve Carrell's portrayals is that underneath Carrell's Michael Scott, there's a certain kind of genuine earnestness and sweetness that allows us to feel some degree of sympathy and liking for him, which allows us to see how in the hell all these women can be attracted to him and how he manages to pull off those sales he does.

Gervais's character? Hateful dick through and through, with nothing redeeming about him. At all. Maybe this changes later in the series, but I was so put off by it, I got bored and kept thinking of the US version.

The Pam/Dwight/Jim/Jan characters just felt colorless and lifeless to me at first interaction, though I'm willing to concede I probably didn't watch enough yet to give them a fair shake.

I'll try it again later at some point, but I started watching The League and got immediately hooked on that. As silly, over the top, and in many ways completely unrealistic as it is, I found it pretty damn hilarious.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #499
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
So I tried the British version of The Office. Gave up after about 10-15 minutes.

The big difference between Ricky Gervais and Steve Carrell's portrayals is that underneath Carrell's Michael Scott, there's a certain kind of genuine earnestness and sweetness that allows us to feel some degree of sympathy and liking for him, which allows us to see how in the hell all these women can be attracted to him and how he manages to pull off those sales he does.

Gervais's character? Hateful dick through and through, with nothing redeeming about him. At all. Maybe this changes later in the series, but I was so put off by it, I got bored and kept thinking of the US version.

The Pam/Dwight/Jim/Jan characters just felt colorless and lifeless to me at first interaction, though I'm willing to concede I probably didn't watch enough yet to give them a fair shake.

I'll try it again later at some point, but I started watching The League and got immediately hooked on that. As silly, over the top, and in many ways completely unrealistic as it is, I found it pretty damn hilarious.

I feel the exact opposite. British series is heartfelt, caring, funny, unbelievable awkward, and pays off in every possible way. US version is a cartoon.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 09-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #500
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I don't feel like one has to be good and the other bad. Both versions are two of my favorite tv comedies of all time. I think it is probably easier if you see the UK version first because the US version has hundreds of episodes to start identifying the characters. That said Gervais singing in the group circle, the Christmas specials, and the finale are top notch tears in eyes comedy. (So is the first season of Extras by the way.) I would give it a few more episodes and you will start to enjoy the characters.

EDIT: And Gervais character is incredibly complex and perfectly acted.

Last edited by panerd : 09-25-2013 at 07:27 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote