Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #451
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just read that Cal is guaranteeing McCarthy a starting spot next year and that was the difference. Pretty interesting with the depth they have.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #452
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dude, he's 18! You're upset because he'd rather go be with his GF?

He's an 18 year old football player at a SEC university. The amount of tail hurling itself at him is probably going to make her dump him out of jealousy.

Choosing which one to go to based on your high school girlfriend is insanity.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #453
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Collins is a DB who talks about having comradary with the best players in the nation, meanwhile LSU returns more top of the line defensive players

Because 'Bama will have more defensive players leaving including 3 likely in the first round of the NFL. One of those three will be a safety. LSU has better special teams than 'Bama. LSU does not have a better defense.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #454
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Because 'Bama will have more defensive players leaving including 3 likely in the first round of the NFL. One of those three will be a safety. LSU has better special teams than 'Bama. LSU does not have a better defense.

Only because the majority of LSU's defensive 1st rounders or not yet draft eligible (Reid, Mathieu) or not declaring this year (Montgomery, Brockers). I would agree that LSU's defense is not better than Bama's this year, but neither is Bama's better than LSU's. I would say LSU's is more likely to be better in the immediate future (next year). We'll see how things play out.

Many are saying that Collins told the LSU staff he was committing to them earlier in the week in order to get his mother to come the announcement. None of us are perfect and things could always be handled better. As always, when it comes to a major life decision such as college, I hope he made the decision on what he feels is the best fit for him (and he stated that he did).
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #455
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou picked up a Texas WR on transfer. Will be interesting to see if the change of location will help in any way.

Report: Texas WR transferring to Missouri | The Columbia Daily Tribune - Columbia, Missouri
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #456
cschex
High School Varsity

If his head's on straight that could be a good pickup, he was pretty highly regarded out of high school
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #457
mckerney
Coordinator

For UCLA fans here, 4* WR Andre McDonald said he's going to try to visit UCLA along with Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois. He just decommited from Vanderbilt from Iowa and had originally committed to Minnesota last February.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #458
MrBug708
Head Coach

Never heard of the kid, but looks like a bigger WR

UCLA flips a UW commit, Tairen Owens, from Muir HS. Smallish guy who ran a 10.8 as a Sophomore in HS
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #459
bhlloy
Coordinator

Could help with Seymour I guess
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #460
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rumors of a Case McCoy transfer are starting to appear
Old 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #461
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Barry Sanders Jr. going to Stanford. I just became a fan for as long as he is there.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #462
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Barry Sanders Jr. going to Stanford. I just became a fan for as long as he is there.

My guess was he was going there, but so many people thought he was a lock for OSU.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #463
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Given his genes and his skills, his mental makeup is what I am most impressed about. Love seeing more and more of these humble, hard working young players coming up out of the amateur ranks.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #464
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My guess was he was going there, but so many people thought he was a lock for OSU.

Interesting - I guess I'm surprised (logically) that people believed that - would you go to the place where no matter what, you are judged against perhaps the greatest back college football has ever seen, who is your father? Seems like a better opportunity to carve your own legacy.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #465
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Interesting - I guess I'm surprised (logically) that people believed that - would you go to the place where no matter what, you are judged against perhaps the greatest back college football has ever seen, who is your father? Seems like a better opportunity to carve your own legacy.

It's likely part of it. He visited Stanford with Luck as his guide and he was impressed how much Luck was left alone/went unrecognized.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #466
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sanders was also reflecting on his injury in HS and life outside of football. He clearly has a good head on his shoulder
Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #467
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Amir Carlisle transferring to ND. USC needs a few players to transfer so they can take a full class of 15 plus 5 early enrollees.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #468
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Got a chuckle out of an article from USC's Rivals site following the game today. Basically it said that the staff was trying to get visits from just about every player in the game. Michigan fans were freaking out because Ondre Pipkins was mentioned in it. I think he and everyone else were too.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #469
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Got a chuckle out of an article from USC's Rivals site following the game today. Basically it said that the staff was trying to get visits from just about every player in the game. Michigan fans were freaking out because Ondre Pipkins was mentioned in it. I think he and everyone else were too.

They can want as many people as they do. Good luck signing them with those scholarship limitations.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #470
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
UCLA flips a UW commit, Tairen Owens, from Muir HS. Smallish guy who ran a 10.8 as a Sophomore in HS
Owens was a guy that many expected to decommit eventually. When Martin left the UW, that became a near-certainty.

Quick kid, good speed. Might turn into a really good player.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #471
MrBug708
Head Coach

Armstead supposedly enrolls at Cal
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #472
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just read that Cal is guaranteeing McCarthy a starting spot next year and that was the difference. Pretty interesting with the depth they have.

Stil don't think he ends up at Cal, but no longer thingk he will go to USC. Looks like parents will get him to UCLA.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #473
MrBug708
Head Coach

If Rick wasn't a horrible coach, he'd already be a Bruin. Im not that confident that we were able to flip him towards UCLA though
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #474
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The recruiting of DGB seems WAY over the top. Latest round taking place at his HS basketball games, with multiple coaches showing up at every basketball game in the days leading up to signing day. Still continue to hear it's between Arkansas and Mizzou.

Mizzou, Oklahoma football coaches at T of C to woo DGB | Entertainment Springfield, MO (Sports, Live Music, Food, Arts, More)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #475
MJ4H
Coordinator

Funny, I've heard it's between Arkansas and Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, and Arkansas and Missouri all confidently within the last 24 hours. Guess where I heard each.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #476
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Funny, I've heard it's between Arkansas and Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas, and Arkansas and Missouri all confidently within the last 24 hours. Guess where I heard each.

Arkansas?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #477
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Arkansas?

Exactly... As much as I'd love to have him, that's where he's going.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #478
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Exactly... As much as I'd love to have him, that's where he's going.

It sure seems that way, but we have been down this road with recruits this highly rated before. They pick bigger names more often than not. So many signs point to yes this time it is hard not to be optimistic.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #479
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

It sure seems that way, but we have been down this road with recruits this highly rated before. They pick bigger names more often than not. So many signs point to yes this time it is hard not to be optimistic.

Yeah, the confidence from Arkansas at some level has to set off alarms. General train of thought with the DGB recruitment thus far has been believe very little of what you hear and none of what you read. It'll probably be that way all the way to signing day.

With that said, you can plant the person who told you that Texas was still involved in the camp of 'person who doesn't know a lick'. Texas is out. Distance is going to make them a non-factor.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #480
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, the confidence from Arkansas at some level has to set off alarms. General train of thought with the DGB recruitment thus far has been believe very little of what you hear and none of what you read. It'll probably be that way all the way to signing day.

With that said, you can plant the person who told you that Texas was still involved in the camp of 'person who doesn't know a lick'. Texas is out. Distance is going to make them a non-factor.

lol Arkansas is not confident at all. Been bitten too many times. I have heard from people at Texas that Missouri is out just as many times as I've heard Texas is out from people at Missouri.

The only that has never been out of it according to everyone is Arkansas.

But why would confidence from Arkansas set off alarms? That doesn't even make sense. I'm sure you can find stupid fans from any school that are confident they will get every recruit, but generally, Arkansas fans that follow recruiting are not confident on this one. They are cautiously optimistic. And that's exactly what they should be.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #481
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
lol Arkansas is not confident at all. Been bitten too many times. I have heard from people at Texas that Missouri is out just as many times as I've heard Texas is out from people at Missouri.

The only that has never been out of it according to everyone is Arkansas.

But why would confidence from Arkansas set off alarms? That doesn't even make sense. I'm sure you can find stupid fans from any school that are confident they will get every recruit, but generally, Arkansas fans that follow recruiting are not confident on this one. They are cautiously optimistic. And that's exactly what they should be.

Texas is out, though it has little to do with anything they did during recruiting. DGB's brother has cancer and he wants to stay near home where he can see him. That's not happening in Austin. Family is very close as well.

Mizzou was the very first school on his list. Arkansas was on there relatively early as well, but Mizzou has never been 'out of it' as you'd term it.

Either way, he's a tremendous kid. Hard not to root for him no matter where he goes.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #482
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Texas is out, though it has little to do with anything they did during recruiting. DGB's brother has cancer and he wants to stay near home where he can see him. That's not happening in Austin. Family is very close as well.

Mizzou was the very first school on his list. Arkansas was on there relatively early as well, but Mizzou has never been 'out of it' as you'd term it.

Either way, he's a tremendous kid. Hard not to root for him no matter where he goes.

Yes, I'm aware of this distance factor. It isn't a deal-breaker, but a big factor.

I didn't say anyone was out of it. I said Texas people say it's Arkansas vs. Texas, Missouri people say it's Arkansas vs. Missouri, and Oklahoma people say it's Arkansas vs. Oklahoma.

It is not surprising at all for you to adamantly be saying Texas is out and it is Arkansas vs. Missouri. All 3 of those schools are doing that.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #483
MrBug708
Head Coach

To be fair, if it's one thing we've learned, it's to never discount his sources
Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #484
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of this distance factor. It isn't a deal-breaker, but a big factor.

I didn't say anyone was out of it. I said Texas people say it's Arkansas vs. Texas, Missouri people say it's Arkansas vs. Missouri, and Oklahoma people say it's Arkansas vs. Oklahoma.

It is not surprising at all for you to adamantly be saying Texas is out and it is Arkansas vs. Missouri. All 3 of those schools are doing that.

We'll see. I'm confident it will be MU or Ark and it won't be OU or Texas. Doesn't sound like the Arkansas 'sources' have reached that point yet, which is very surprising.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #485
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #486
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gunner Kiehl to Notre Dame
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #487
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Lupoi to Washington means that Shaq Thompson is in play again. UW was already #2 on his list, and now with Lupoi & Wilcox up in Seattle (and his mother supposedly not wanting him at Cal for some reason), the Huskies look like they have at least a 50-50 chance of getting him.

For the most part though, the Lupoi hire by the UW will benefit USC & UCLA this year as guys previously high on Lupoi will now re-think and are more likely to look at the LA schools than Washington.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #488
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As if I needed another reason to not like the kid...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #489
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Good news for Rutgers fans.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #490
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

Plenty of smoke out there, but it is far from a done deal that he changed his mind on LSU. We might know for sure tomorrow though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #491
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I guess I'll wait until the ink dries on the letter-of-intent. Maybe.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #492
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nothing all that interesting IMO about this story, just another class that was oversigned & an injured player that's still rehabbing asked to delay enrollment. Well, nothing interesting perhaps except for one little quote from North Atlanta HS RB Justin Taylor
Nick Saban to Atlanta RB: You can’t sign with Alabama until next year | AJC College Sports Recruiting

Quote:
What will do you do this fall? “He said I’m going to stay in Georgia. They are going to find me a job. I’m going to work. I’m going to physical therapy at least seven days per week. I guess I will work, go to physical therapy and get strong … I will come in with the class of 2013. I’ll get there with the early group so I can do winter workouts and spring football.”
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #493
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I seem the be missing the big deal. He misses out on school for a year, rehabs, and works. It will be interesting to see how 'Bama handles this class. They easily could go 5 over if they wanted to. I know academics will handle some of them, but still.

Diggs(#2 WR) says his trip to Auburn was his best yet.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #494
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I seem the be missing the big deal. He misses out on school for a year, rehabs, and works. It will be interesting to see how 'Bama handles this class. They easily could go 5 over if they wanted to. I know academics will handle some of them, but still.

I think Jon was just pointing out how the kid said Alabama was going to get him a job.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #495
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think Jon was just pointing out how the kid said Alabama was going to get him a job.

If he is enrolled, it could be an internship.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he is enrolled, it could be an internship.

That's just it, he's not enrolling until 2013.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #497
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ellis McCarthy to UCLA!

Boom!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #498
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I'll wait until the ink dries on the letter-of-intent. Maybe.
He'll be an EE, so he should be enrolling at one of the two tomorrow. (Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up transferring from whichever team he ends up at by next spring if he's not starting.) Supposedly both Armstead's may be joining him. Crazy week with all of that, Decker leaving for OSU, Darby decommitting, and Amir Carlisle transferring in. At least Tee Shephard (and Sheldon Day) enrolled already, so we won't lose those two.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #499
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Oversigning seems extremely douchy and screwing over the kid; is this standard fare for Saban? Why do that to a kid?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 01-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #500
MrBug708
Head Coach

Everyone oversigns. Kids leave, transfer, delay enrollment, or enter early