Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #451
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm definitely turning off the Space Race victory. It seems the computer beats me every time with that, and usually like in 1980's or so.

I'm also going to pick up a 6600 video card today. Hopefully that will; solve the slow-downs in late game. I considered buying another gig of memory, but I think the videro card has a better chance of solving it.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #452
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I'm definitely turning off the Space Race victory. It seems the computer beats me every time with that, and usually like in 1980's or so.

I'm also going to pick up a 6600 video card today. Hopefully that will; solve the slow-downs in late game. I considered buying another gig of memory, but I think the videro card has a better chance of solving it.
You could try this, it worked for me...only if you have a nvidia card

1. Download and install nVHardPage SE(google it, it should be quite easy to find)

2. Open nVHardPage SE, go under the Direct X Tab and change the Pixel/Vortex Shader to 1.1 by sliding the tab to the left.

3. Check the "Override Shaders" box below it.

Last edited by Coop : 11-03-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #453
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Ok...But still doesn't explain how the computer has such large military units early in the game.

Either 1) they sacrifice buildings for units or 2) they cheat.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #454
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop

1. Download and install nVHardPage SE(google it, it should be quite easy to find)

2. Open nVHardPage SE, go under the Direct X Tab and change the Pixel/Vortex Shader to 1.1 by sliding the tab to the left.

Will this mess with the other games I play, such as WoW, TW2006, etc?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #455
Coop
High School JV

Not sure...i dont usually use my laptop for gaming besides text sims and adventure games.

Last edited by Coop : 11-03-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #456
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Either 1) they sacrifice buildings for units or 2) they cheat.

I have noticed that the AI (at least on Noble difficulty) tends to specialize it's cities. To see this for yourself take a look at an AI city that has recently culture flipped to your side (or use a spy).

I have seen AI cities with almost no buildings in them except for a forge, a factory, and a few other early buildings (like a granary). Clearly, the AI would use such a city to produce units.

" Civ IV - Now with AI"
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #457
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
I have noticed that the AI (at least on Noble difficulty) tends to specialize it's cities. To see this for yourself take a look at an AI city that has recently culture flipped to your side (or use a spy).

I have seen AI cities with almost no buildings in them except for a forge, a factory, and a few other early buildings (like a granary). Clearly, the AI would use such a city to produce units.

" Civ IV - Now with AI"

Which is why those uncultured barbaric nations must be folded into the Holy German Empire. We will bring the light of civilization to all their cities, not just one or two.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #458
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop

Nope, had a ATI card. Seems ATI cards had most of the problems, so I picked up a 6600 card. I had been kicking it around for a while because it always seems that ATI has driver related "issues" and I'm just tired of fighting to get things to work with it. Just popped the new card in, so I'm going to give it a go. I might end up having to reload Civ 4 all together, though.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #459
jbmagic
Pro Starter

worker automation

if you go under options theres an option for 'automated workers leave improvements' so they wont mess with anything already done. That was one of the first things I changed in my setup .

So far what i've found best is to manually work em at first then automate after you got your main stuff done how you like it
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #460
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
worker automation

if you go under options theres an option for 'automated workers leave improvements' so they wont mess with anything already done. That was one of the first things I changed in my setup .

So far what i've found best is to manually work em at first then automate after you got your main stuff done how you like it

I just noticed that option myself today. I also like to manually control my first few workers, but was afraid to automate later in the game. This is a great option.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 PM   #461
Galaxy
Coordinator

How is the online play?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 PM   #462
GrantDawg

Quote:
Nope, had a ATI card. Seems ATI cards had most of the problems, so I picked up a 6600 card. I had been kicking it around for a while because it always seems that ATI has driver related "issues" and I'm just tired of fighting to get things to work with it. Just popped the new card in, so I'm going to give it a go. I might end up having to reload Civ 4 all together, though.

Well, like magic I was able to play the game that would crash the second I loaded it. It works fine with minimal slow downs, but not the Wonder videos are choppy.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #463
Tasan
College Starter

I was able to lower the choppy movies by bumping the anti-aliasing to 2, which kind of makes sense when I think about it now.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 AM   #464
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:

I've got crashes in the endgame on bigger maps. I'm thinking this is a memory issue, so I'm going to try the "add more RAM" route, to get me to 2gigs.

One of the things I'm loving about the game is that each game I've played feels a lot different. I'm in my third game now and the game is evolving differently than the previous two games. Although certain aspects of the game can be played in similar fashion from game to game, I'm starting to think that you can't play this game with the same overall strategy each time and expect to consistently win.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #465
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How is the online play?

I've only played 1 1/2 games, but it's a lot of fun.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #466
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I just noticed that option myself today. I also like to manually control my first few workers, but was afraid to automate later in the game. This is a great option.

This is what I started to struggle with last night. I love to micromanage everything in a Civ game (esp. early to mid) just so I can keep track and manage food, production, commerce, and now, health and happiness. But there comes a time where, in my 3 growing cities, I have done all of the obvious things. I guess I could use 1 of my 2 workers to build a road to where I'm going to place a 4th city and I guess have to automate the other one and who knows what it'll do. I have never let the AI manage a city in any Civ games for I constantly monitor and shift priorities. Now I'm not too sure. Have to give this some more thought.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:51 AM   #467
moriarty
College Starter

Ugh, just got the Dan Qualye rating on Noble.

I was playing with the Egyptians and trying to max out culture when 3 of the 5 AI Civ's decided to declare war on me (so much for spreading my religion). One of my border cities had my only access to oil/uranium and needless to say they kept pelting my supply roads until I could no longer build anything but marines. No one came to my defense and I had only one city left before the Incas (!) won the space race.

I havent' won yet on Noble despite usually leading going into the late game. Maybe I need to rethink my strategies or drop down a level.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #468
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Ugh, just got the Dan Qualye rating on Noble.

I got the Dan Quayle rating in a Noble game where I finished third of seven, only a few hundred points behind the country that launched into space. My game score was about 3000 points. I was surprised I got such a low ranking. Maybe you get that rating whenever you lose, no matter the margin?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #469
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When I won on noble with space race, with a good sized lead, I only scored a couple notches up from Dan Quayle.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #470
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
I got the Dan Quayle rating in a Noble game where I finished third of seven, only a few hundred points behind the country that launched into space. My game score was about 3000 points. I was surprised I got such a low ranking. Maybe you get that rating whenever you lose, no matter the margin?

Nope. I just got the second lowest rating after getting beat in a space race. I was England and just got hammered early in the game, made some monumental blunders, but then started coming back. I was actually leading in points when I lost the space race, but I only had 4 cities, not a lot of land and was trying desperately to build culture or win by diplomatic means, both of which were failing despite my points lead.

As an aside, my capitol city in the game just rocked. It never stopped growing (was at 34 by the end of the game), and it could build like crazy. It was putting out Stealth bombers in a turn. In hindesite, I should have used this tech advantage earlier, cranking out military units left and right and starting a war to get some more territory.

Oh well. Great, great, great game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #471
Butter
Coordinator

Suggestions about how to keep from getting hammered on gold early in games? Seems like I'm always losing gold early on, and can't start catching up until Courthouses appear during the Middle Ages (cutting your maintenance costs by 50%).
Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #472
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

build less city improvements that cost gold per turn.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #473
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline

Well, yeah, but that's no fun.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #474
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

No seriously. Some of the early wonders are actually quite useful and if you have stone or your civ is industrious you can built them in a pretty short time. This will still greatly improve your infastructure but won't bog down your economy that should be going to science. And that is still fun
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

One way to prevent getting hammered on gold is to not build as many cities. Remember maintainance depends on how many cities you have and how far away they are from the capital. The less cities you have, the less you have to pay.

And are there improvements that cost gold per turn? I thought that had been eliminated in favor of the new maintainance system.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #476
Butter
Coordinator

What do you guys find to be a good number of cities, on average? I've been doing 10-12, but the game is still suggesting that I build more settlers.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #477
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't listen to the game telling me to build more settlers .

I find a good number on a standard map is around 10 cities, but that's by the end of the game. However, a good core of ~4 cities is essential, IMO.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #478
Eilim
High School Varsity

One thing thats helped me is specializing cities. When I first started I built cities like I did research, trying to get everything(which is a recipe for disaster in both cases.) Depending on your surroundings, focus each city on a specific task that the surrounding terrain is suited for. This will minimize some of the costs that can start adding up with city developments.

Also, use your financial advisor screen, as it will tell you exactly where your leaking funds from.

Another thing it could be, how fast are you expanding? Expanding too quickly can quickly cripple your economy if not monitored. Both too many cities, or cities too far from your capital before you have the techs/civics/infrastructure to support them can jack up your expenditures if not careful.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #479
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
What do you guys find to be a good number of cities, on average? I've been doing 10-12, but the game is still suggesting that I build more settlers.

Yeah, that part of the suggestion system annoys me. I'll have like 10 cities which I can barely aford and zero room to develop and it keeps telling me to build more settlers.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #480
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim
Another thing it could be, how fast are you expanding? Expanding too quickly can quickly cripple your economy if not monitored. Both too many cities, or cities too far from your capital before you have the techs/civics/infrastructure to support them can jack up your expenditures if not careful.

That could be part of it, as I am still used to the old Civ way of cranking out those settlers and sending them off to grab some land pretty fast early on.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #481
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
That could be part of it, as I am still used to the old Civ way of cranking out those settlers and sending them off to grab some land pretty fast early on.

That would make sense... since the programmers of CivIV were dedicated to destroy this tactic . Expand slower, building your cities up before you expand.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #482
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
One thing thats helped me is specializing cities. When I first started I built cities like I did research, trying to get everything(which is a recipe for disaster in both cases.) Depending on your surroundings, focus each city on a specific task that the surrounding terrain is suited for. This will minimize some of the costs that can start adding up with city developments.

I'll add to that a lesson learned the hard way (stupid way?). Don't make your "cultural" city on the coast square far away from the borders. Nothing worse than seeing your border expand out into the ocean instead of towards a possible flip city.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #483
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
I'll add to that a lesson learned the hard way (stupid way?). Don't make your "cultural" city on the coast square far away from the borders. Nothing worse than seeing your border expand out into the ocean instead of towards a possible flip city.

My early problem with not specializing cities was I was just insanely innefficient as compared to the AI that I couldn't keep up. It came to be a "either or" situation when coming down to commerce/production/tech.. Even more so than normal game balance creates. *Any* deviation from a single focus caused me to start falling behind the AI in too many areas.

Took me quite a few ass-whoopings at noble to see where I was going wrong. Throw in my early diplomacy skills being complete shit (Try to keep everyone happy, yet pissing off all in the proccess. ) and it just lead to a whole lot of ugliness.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #484
twothree
College Prospect

Wow. I just realized that I went a whole week without opening up FOF. Civ IV even jumped ahead of FOF in my start menu. After a few victories on Noble difficulty, I played a game on Monarch, and just got crushed by the computer when I started a war I was not prepared to fight. Even getting squashed was fun.

I wonder how long I will remain under it's "Just One More Turn" spell. I still find the game to be great fun, but have started to encounter some of the reported bugs. Getting the exact same "random" map that I had played several days ago was weird.

Also, I agree the game could use some tweaking. The amount of research points needed to aquire later techs should be raised in order to slow down how fast you get new techs. This would slow down the end game, and give you a chance to actually produce and use some of the buildings and units opened up to you by those techs.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #485
GrantDawg

I'm getting real aggrevated with the agressive-build AI. Maybe it is just luck, but I seem to always be on the continent with some civ that is building city every couple of rounds. By the time I do the slow build there is no land left to build cities on! Plus I'm having bad luck on resource draws. On my last game I was surrounded by desert and tundra nort/south of my area, yet not a lick of oil. My niehbor, though had like three oil spots all around his capital. Grrrrr...

I love this game.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:16 PM   #486
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline

Improvements don't cost gold in Civ4. Cities themselves do.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #487
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm getting real aggrevated with the agressive-build AI. Maybe it is just luck, but I seem to always be on the continent with some civ that is building city every couple of rounds. By the time I do the slow build there is no land left to build cities on! Plus I'm having bad luck on resource draws. On my last game I was surrounded by desert and tundra nort/south of my area, yet not a lick of oil. My niehbor, though had like three oil spots all around his capital.

I was running into the same situation, while I still prefer the slow build, I've been tinkering with some of the strats in *this* thread when I find myself close to another civ at the start and having some success.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #488
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone want to try a FOFC game sometime this weekend?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #489
TroyF
Coordinator

UGH. Random map, I'm placed right next to Kahn. Of course, he declares war on me within the first 35-40 turns. He can crank out the military so I end up wasting ALL of my resources to build a military to wipe him off the map. (I know long term peace isn't a solution here.

I finally do it, conquer all his cities and wipe him out. Of course, I still haven't teched any growth or economic techs yet and I'm not playing catch up. Out of gold, my units start getting disbanded one by one.

I pour allmy resources into research and am slowly catching up, both in gold and research. I'm now in 1825 or so and have 10 cities. (including the conquered ones) All are growing, all are happy as clams and all have no health issues. (why would they, I couldn't even build a forge until the 1700's, much less anything else.

Thank God I turned off space race and time in this game. i still have a shot if things break right.

I don't need to think about this any longer. This is one of the top five games of all time for me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #490
Galaxy
Coordinator

Does each unit cost one piece of gold? And does disbanning them relieve the financial commiment?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #491
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does each unit cost one piece of gold? And does disbanning them relieve the financial commiment?

I believe that depends on your civics . IIRC, Pacifism makes each unit cost gold, but no other does so. I could be wrong, however.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #492
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was running into the same situation, while I still prefer the slow build, I've been tinkering with some of the strats in *this* thread when I find myself close to another civ at the start and having some success.

Thats a great thread - informative for sure with some fantastic analysis. I actually like to start developing a worker first - help get my city producing faster. Then its a settler and finally another warrior.

I've found that trying to pump out a settler first not only takes a long time (vs. how long it takes after my city has grown and created a worker), but if I do that, I'm almost forced to create another warrior to protect him, and that just slows my growth down even more.

I've been very fortunate with the goodie huts, in one game getting 2 settlers within 10 turns from them. Having 3 cities in 15 turns is a whale of an advantage. Too bad I got crushed by the Japanese
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #493
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone want to try a FOFC game sometime this weekend?

Definitely.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 PM   #494
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Definitely.

Should I start another thread for a FOFC sign-up? Any time?
Old 11-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #495
Schmidty
Coordinator

Well, I finally finished my first game and won. I was Fredrick and I played on Noble. It was a fun game until I realized that I was going to have to win via the Space Race. It was VERY anti-climactic and quick after such an epic game. I'm definitey turning off the Spaceship victory.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #496
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Thats a great thread - informative for sure with some fantastic analysis. I actually like to start developing a worker first - help get my city producing faster. Then its a settler and finally another warrior.

I've found that trying to pump out a settler first not only takes a long time (vs. how long it takes after my city has grown and created a worker), but if I do that, I'm almost forced to create another warrior to protect him, and that just slows my growth down even more.

I usually go with worker first myself, but until that thread I really hadn't utilized wood chopping to get a good start going. One thing with the settler first strats, I tend to run them as gambits (heck, I even do that with standard strats sometimes.). I won't protect an early settler, betting on him getting to where I want him unmolested. Sort of an "all or nothing" move early on. Same thing with waiting guarding early build cities. Can save time/resources in the early game.. or make for a *very* short game.

While I'd probably never try such things in a MP game, in single player sometimes those all or nothing risks can pay off.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #497
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
UGH. Random map, I'm placed right next to Kahn. Of course, he declares war on me within the first 35-40 turns. He can crank out the military so I end up wasting ALL of my resources to build a military to wipe him off the map. (I know long term peace isn't a solution here.

I finally do it, conquer all his cities and wipe him out. Of course, I still haven't teched any growth or economic techs yet and I'm not playing catch up. Out of gold, my units start getting disbanded one by one.

I pour allmy resources into research and am slowly catching up, both in gold and research. I'm now in 1825 or so and have 10 cities. (including the conquered ones) All are growing, all are happy as clams and all have no health issues. (why would they, I couldn't even build a forge until the 1700's, much less anything else.

Thank God I turned off space race and time in this game. i still have a shot if things break right.

I don't need to think about this any longer. This is one of the top five games of all time for me.

Funny you should mention that. I started a game yesterday in which Ghengis is right next to me as well. The prick keeps starting wars, but I'm fighting defensively making him turn tail and run. I'm working on research in most of my cities still, and soon I will have a big lead in technology on him and crush him! At least, I hope it works out that way

I agree that this is one of my top games of all time.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #498
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Is there anyway to turn off space victory after the game is started? I forgot to turn it off before starting my latest game (which is now into the early midgame portion.)
Old 11-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #499
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

That's interesting. In my game, Kahn is just to the south of me (with the Germans a little further down) on a "continent" island. I made it a point to be real friendly with him and he hasn't asked much. He founded Judiasm before I founded Christianity and started to spread it in my capital. But I concentrated on culture and religion and after gifting a few techs (they do come too fast), I got the Mongols to convert to Christianity. Don't know really what to expect but with my border right up against his two cities, I may not have to worry about them. But then maybe I will.

One of the little things I did was to drop Research to 80% and raise Culture to 20%. Not only did that help in slowing down getting techs a little, but provided a nice steady boost to culture points. One of the easy things was getting Music first, which gave me a Great Artist and his +4000 culture points got my capital city to the next level on the way to Legendary. The problem I see for the future is that there are 4 other civs which no one here have heard from. Can't tell much from the stats since there have been no contact but even getting my little piece of the world conquered may not mean anything in the long run.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #500
Galaxy
Coordinator

I LOVE this game.....I plan on playing it into the wee-hours tonight.