Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #451
MrBug708
Head Coach

What I love is when you are down 2-0 and you score a goal to close the gap. The goal scorer will quickly grab the ball and run it towards the center. The rest of the team takes its sweet time walking back to their side.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #452
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, finally going to get this started up. What facepacks do I need to get? And what do I need to do to get the German National team activated(if this is still possible/needed)? Thanks!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #454
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you..

To get the full facepack in one nice download you need to be a paid member, correct? Roughly $15 per year?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #455
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thank you..

To get the full facepack in one nice download you need to be a paid member, correct? Roughly $15 per year?

Possibly. I'm a member as I donated some amount of money I can't remember a few years ago.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #456
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Possibly. I'm a member as I donated some amount of money I can't remember a few years ago.

Thanks, that sounds easier than downloading 18 packs.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #457
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thank you..

Yeah, I did it this year. With the exchange rate at the time I think it was $16.
IMHO totally worth it as I bought the game at release for ~$24. So $40 for game, facepack, and logos plus getting it in one d'load in a reasonable amount of time was worth it. Updates are now done in a couple of minutes instead of screwing around with free d'load sites that are slow as molasses. Not sure how long it took for the pack through sortitout but I do know my last torrent was an over-nighter to get it all.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #458
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Yeah, I did it this year. With the exchange rate at the time I think it was $16.
IMHO totally worth it as I bought the game at release for ~$24. So $40 for game, facepack, and logos plus getting it in one d'load in a reasonable amount of time was worth it. Updates are now done in a couple of minutes instead of screwing around with free d'load sites that are slow as molasses. Not sure how long it took for the pack through sortitout but I do know my last torrent was an over-nighter to get it all.

Thanks.. wouldn't take long with 30M internet I don't think.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #459
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The v5.0 torrent is pretty healthy too and with a 30meg connection it'd finish overnight easily. 5.0 would be current as of Oct/Nov of last year. And of course, that would be free....
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #460
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
The v5.0 torrent is pretty healthy too and with a 30meg connection it'd finish overnight easily. 5.0 would be current as of Oct/Nov of last year. And of course, that would be free....

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #461
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #462
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

QQ - I moved Rangers to the EPL and after 8 years I finally finished in the top 4. However, I was passed over for the Champions League. In fact, I didn't get any competition. What do I need to do to qualify? Did I hose something up putting a scottish team in england? I don't want to keep playing this save if I'll never qualify.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #463
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
QQ - I moved Rangers to the EPL and after 8 years I finally finished in the top 4. However, I was passed over for the Champions League. In fact, I didn't get any competition. What do I need to do to qualify? Did I hose something up putting a scottish team in england? I don't want to keep playing this save if I'll never qualify.

Check the co-efficients, the amount of qualifiers depends on the league standing at that time and can change .... if clubs from a league continually do well then the amount of entrants can in theory change up or down.

(I doubt there is anything in the game coded to prevent you qualifying with a Scottish club - after all there are Welsh clubs in the English league already)

UEFA coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #464
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I need a new challenge...I've gotten to the point with my existing one where I'm just watching all my talented youth grow up and be world-beaters, which is fun, but also means that most matches are a cakewalk.

Maybe I'll do a "backup save" of that game and put it aside so I can come back to it, and then resign from Juventus and take over a small club somewhere - since I'm in 2020 and the world is full in the midst of "transition to 100% newgens."

Might make for a fun challenge. Or I suppose i could just add a new manager and keep playing on as both -- do people actually do that?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #465
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Check the co-efficients, the amount of qualifiers depends on the league standing at that time and can change .... if clubs from a league continually do well then the amount of entrants can in theory change up or down.

(I doubt there is anything in the game coded to prevent you qualifying with a Scottish club - after all there are Welsh clubs in the English league already)

UEFA coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how do you check current coefficients in-game?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #466
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Marc,

Never mind, I found it - through the World menu at the top. My team doesn't show up at all (EDIT, I'm managing Peterhead, not Rangers). So I'm doomed for contenental competitons w/o a coefficient, right?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #467
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Marc,

Never mind, I found it - through the World menu at the top. My team doesn't show up at all (EDIT, I'm managing Peterhead, not Rangers). So I'm doomed for contenental competitons w/o a coefficient, right?

That is team coefficients. You want the European coefficients. They are under World-> Competitions -> Europe. Then press the Qualification Places tab and locate England. That will give you how many places for Europe.

Also remember you lose a place if the a non-qualifying team won the competition the year before. So if ManU won the Champions league, and England is in the 1st coefficient, but ManU placed 5th in the league, then only the first 3 teams would qualify.

Now you should have got a UEFA League spot at the very least, unless the England coefficient has dropped dramatically (like 16th place, which wouldn't happen over 8 years I think). So something might be bugged there. Who were the winners of the CL and EL, and if English, where did they place in the league? Barring a collapse of the England coefficient, the only way 4th place would not get a European spot would be:
England CL winner placed 5th or lower, AND
England EL winner placed 5th or lower, AND
FA Cup (or FA Cup runner up if winners qualified for Europe through another competition) and League Cup winner are not either of CL or EL winners and not in the top 3 in league.

Possible...not likely though. Do the Rangers start the game with a European ban because of the bankruptcy? Maybe moving leagues might have caused that ban to not be lifted?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #468
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So i made a backup-save of my existing game so that i can continue it at some point, but also a new save so that i could resign and find a LL club, right?

The year is 2020. After i resigned (10 games in or so)...my Juve team finished the season at 33-4-1...for 103pts.

+93 goal differential. Scored 105 and gave up 12.

Palermo was in 2nd place with 66pts.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #469
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

No luck, I simmed ahead 20 years and despite even winning the EPL outright, Rangers never get a spot in the champions league (neither do peterhead with a few top 5 finishes thanks to an unlimited budget).

So I'm hosed and have to start all over it seems and forget managing Rangers to the top of the EPL.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #470
Flasch186
Coordinator

Why is it that sometimes my Asst makes locker room talks about our underdog status but then the after the game commentators mention that we shouldve won and will be questioning why we didnt? That seems disconnected to me.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #471
Flasch186
Coordinator

Hey Marc,

I cant get past this point in my career without a crash.:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fm.exe
Application Version: 13.3.3.31972
Application Timestamp: 514c8b4d
Fault Module Name: fm.exe
Fault Module Version: 13.3.3.31972
Fault Module Timestamp: 514c8b4d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 015014d9
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: f3d5
Additional Information 4: f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

What am I supposed to do. FWIW, Im doing terribly and had been debating starting a new one anyways so perhaps this is the FM gods telling me the direction to go.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #473
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
$13.60 on Steam today. GREAT deal/

Sweet, been waiting for it to go on sale so I could buy it. First FM ever for me, should be interesting.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #474
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
$13.60 on Steam today. GREAT deal/

Yes, I picked this up with moments to go on the sale. Need to figure out what the best graphic add-ons are.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #475
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I've been thinking about giving FM a shot. I am not a huge soccer fan but go through spurts and do follow the bigger cups like World Cup and UEFA. I don't know much strategy and mostly know the basics. I've really been in the mood for a good text sim lately and as much as I want a football one, nothing seems to be around the corner. Also, I know FM is pretty much the gold standard for sport text sims.

All that said I am looking for opinions on which version to get- Handheld or PC. I like the idea of a more complete game on the PC, but then again I am very much a beginner and may not use it to its fullest. The handheld has some things going for it for me because of A) price (kicking myself for just missing out on the steam deal), B) Portability- Lately I have lots of downtime so I kind of like the idea of being able to play on my iphone and I do also have an ipad which I could play on at home. My only concern would be if it is too "dumbed down" of a version.

Does anyone have experience with both versions?
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #476
MrBug708
Head Coach

Go PC
Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #477
RainMaker
General Manager

PC, I'm not a huge soccer fan either but it's a ton of fun.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #478
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't believe I missed both steam and amazon having it under $15 the past few days. Ah well, $40 is a bit steep to take a chance on it right now, not knowing if the game will click for me or not. I may wait and see if it goes on sale again soon.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #479
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Does anyone have experience with both versions?

Puts hand up

A lot depends on what you're looking for the Handheld game is lighter weight and far faster to play, if you've never played a soccer sim before or are more used to FOF and similar games then it might be a gentler entrance to FM than FM PC/Mac which is far more intense and unforgiving as a lot of the users of the PC title are die hard soccer nuts and expect the game to be as realistic as possible ....

The PC game does have the 'Classic' mode however for the first time this year which is a halfway house between FM PC (standard) and FMH in terms of complexity (uses the same engine as FM PC so still somewhat unforgiving tactically, but removes some of the more arcane/time intensive options) ....

Please note I'm somewhat biased as the handheld FM is my baby

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-31-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #480
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Can't believe I missed both steam and amazon having it under $15 the past few days. Ah well, $40 is a bit steep to take a chance on it right now, not knowing if the game will click for me or not. I may wait and see if it goes on sale again soon.

It will. It often does during the summer.

Quote:
Puts hand up

A lot depends on what you're looking for the Handheld game is lighter weight and far faster to play, if you've never played a soccer sim before or are more used to FOF and similar games then it might be a gentler entrance to FM than FM PC/Mac which is far more intense and unforgiving as a lot of the users of the PC title are die hard soccer nuts and expect the game to be as realistic as possible ....

The PC game does have the 'Classic' mode however for the first time this year which is a halfway house between FM PC (standard) and FMH in terms of complexity (uses the same engine as FM PC so still somewhat unforgiving tactically, but removes some of the more arcane/time intensive options) ....

Please note I'm somewhat biased as the handheld FM is my baby

Make sure to listen to this guy.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #481
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks for the replies. I think I've decided to give the handheld a try, as Marc suggested it may be a better entry point for me. If I end up hooked I can always try out the PC version to get more depth and by then it may be on sale again. Also, at this time I think I have more free time when I am on my iphone/ipad then when I am at my PC.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #482
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Fellas, a friend of mine just bought this on my recommendation. I've been a huge fan of the series for the last 13 years or so, though the last one I played was FM 2011, I think.

He's never played and is, not surprisingly, a bit lost and overwhelmed. Can someone point in the direction of the best and latest guides that I can send him to help him get started? Thanks!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #483
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

First thing I'd suggest is that he play 'Classic' mode if he's got the latest game, then either go for a HUGE club or a minnow in the lower leagues.

A huge club will give you a decent stab at getting the players you want and succeeding, a small club will give you more 'slack' and also the clubs around you will be less tactically astute meaning you won't get ripped up quite so much if you get things tactically wrong.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #484
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I need a new challenge...I've gotten to the point with my existing one where I'm just watching all my talented youth grow up and be world-beaters, which is fun, but also means that most matches are a cakewalk.

Maybe I'll do a "backup save" of that game and put it aside so I can come back to it, and then resign from Juventus and take over a small club somewhere - since I'm in 2020 and the world is full in the midst of "transition to 100% newgens."

Might make for a fun challenge. Or I suppose i could just add a new manager and keep playing on as both -- do people actually do that?

I've played as two managers before. One for my actual gameplay, and another guy who I made and used a tactic I really liked but pretty much autopiloted him in another league just to see how the tactic would do.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #486
Flasch186
Coordinator

Another crash:

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #487
Flasch186
Coordinator

restarted the computer and was able to get past that day. Weird, brand new Alienware laptop.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #488
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Another crash:

If you've got an Nvidia graphics card it could be the drivers. There have been a bunch of issues, not specific to FM that I'm aware of, that have been repoted about the 320.18 drivers.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #489
Izulde
Head Coach

Plunged on the $10 Steam sale and I have to say, as one of FM's harshest critics interface-wise, this edition is simply beautiful to look at and, at first blush, seems a bit more intuitive than earlier versions.

Of course, I'm also on Classic mode.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #490
MikeVic
Head Coach

So this is for the iOS version, but figured someone might be able to answer my question. When I get a bunch of youth squad members promoted "for my assessment"... do I just list them for loan and let them rot on my bench for a few years if no one wants to loan them? I have a few 15-17 year olds that I wouldn't want to play in an actual game... is it good enough for them to be on my roster (and not even my bench)? Or should I be doing more (demote to reserves, play them once in awhile, etc)?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #491
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can't remember this but do they release a starting date for the 2013-2014 seasons? Or do I need to wait til the next version of FM to get that?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #492
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can't remember this but do they release a starting date for the 2013-2014 seasons? Or do I need to wait til the next version of FM to get that?

You can pick the starting date based on league, when you set a career up.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #493
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know that, but I want the 2013 EPL setup, not the 2012 setup
Old 07-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #494
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I know that, but I want the 2013 EPL setup, not the 2012 setup

Ah, sorry, missed that. Someone might have made a custom DB with that info, but not sure.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #495
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So this is for the iOS version, but figured someone might be able to answer my question. When I get a bunch of youth squad members promoted "for my assessment"... do I just list them for loan and let them rot on my bench for a few years if no one wants to loan them? I have a few 15-17 year olds that I wouldn't want to play in an actual game... is it good enough for them to be on my roster (and not even my bench)? Or should I be doing more (demote to reserves, play them once in awhile, etc)?

If you loan them out and they're active then it came help their development, presuming they can 'cut it' at the level they're loaned to.

(outside of that it doesn't hurt if you move them to the reserves at all)

The alternative is to keep one on your subs bench and only rotate him in for the last 5-10 minutes of matches you've dominated and are confident of retaining victories in, this will give him top level experience (I presuming thats where you are ) with minimal risk - if after a season or two of this a kid hasn't shown a considerable improvement then he probably never will do (if you've ever watched the Premiership this is generally what a lot of the managers there do - think of all the kids who had come on for a quick cameo under Alex Ferguson over the years - some turned in David Beckham etc. ... others turned into Nick Chadwick ).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-19-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #496
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
If you loan them out and they're active then it came help their development, presuming they can 'cut it' at the level they're loaned to.

(outside of that it doesn't hurt if you move them to the reserves at all)

The alternative is to keep one on your subs bench and only rotate him in for the last 5-10 minutes of matches you've dominated and are confident of retaining victories in, this will give him top level experience (I presuming thats where you are ) with minimal risk - if after a season or two of this a kid hasn't shown a considerable improvement then he probably never will do (if you've ever watched the Premiership this is generally what a lot of the managers there do - think of all the kids who had come on for a quick cameo under Alex Ferguson over the years - some turned in David Beckham etc. ... others turned into Nick Chadwick ).

Thanks for the response!

I've been doing that bench/sub thing with my youth up to this point... and it's been working well. However, I recently upgraded to now have a Youth Academy and have gotten a bunch of players instead of just one or two. A few of them are only 15 years old, so I'd guess I can let them sit for a bit. But can try to keep doing the bench/sub thing where possible.

Is it better for them to be in reserves or on my main roster (and not on my bench or getting playing time)?

Also, is there anything I can do with left-over money...? What I mean is that I've sold a couple of my star players (had younger players to fill in for them, and was offered $70M for each so I pulled the trigger... also, they complained when I kept rejecting offers for them). I guess I can splurge for depth on expensive young players that could develop into superstars... is that what people normally do?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #497
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Thanks for the response!

I've been doing that bench/sub thing with my youth up to this point... and it's been working well. However, I recently upgraded to now have a Youth Academy and have gotten a bunch of players instead of just one or two. A few of them are only 15 years old, so I'd guess I can let them sit for a bit. But can try to keep doing the bench/sub thing where possible.

Is it better for them to be in reserves or on my main roster (and not on my bench or getting playing time)?

Also, is there anything I can do with left-over money...? What I mean is that I've sold a couple of my star players (had younger players to fill in for them, and was offered $70M for each so I pulled the trigger... also, they complained when I kept rejecting offers for them). I guess I can splurge for depth on expensive young players that could develop into superstars... is that what people normally do?

Dah. Splurge on young players that may develop.

I have a "house rule" that once I start having excessive cash I have to spend at least 50% buying up promising young players (as young as possible).
Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #498
britrock88
Pro Starter

Taking the reins at Hinckley. Wish me luck.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #499
kingfc22
Head Coach

So should we be expecting a FM14 announcement in the near future?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #500
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So should we be expecting a FM14 announcement in the near future?

i hope so!