Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #451
JediKooter
Coordinator

Throw in Gloria Alred and it is done.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #452
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

ahahahahaha
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #453
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think this is why they quit...

Sean Hannity Lobs Softballs to George Zimmerman's Father and Defense Team | Video Cafe
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #454
RedKingGold
College Starter

I have no horse in this race, but Zimmerman's "attorneys" are assholes for doing this in public.

It's their decision whether to withdraw as counsel, but their public displays are unprofessional and possibly unethical.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #455
spleen1015
Coordinator

Presser at 6pm to announce charges against Zimmerman.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #456
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That was necessary, regardless of whether they felt there was enough evidence. There needs to be the circus of a very public trial.

I don't envy the defense here. I'm sure there are lawyers out there who want this case, though. For that matter, I don't envy the prosecution, unless there's some sort of smoking gun that we don't know about.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #457
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

you mean the smoking gun that was in his hand?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #458
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
you mean the smoking gun that was in his hand?

We know about that gun, right? I don't know. I wasn't there. I only know what the media has told me about this case, and there's so much bias these days.

I don't have a horse in this race, either. I just hope there isn't much violence when it ends, one way or another.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
That was necessary, regardless of whether they felt there was enough evidence. There needs to be the circus of a very public trial.

I don't generically disagree with you on this, although I might quibble about the difference between "necessary" and "politically expedient". ('political' in terms of social politics moreso than the traditional use of the word)
Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #460
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
We know about that gun, right? I don't know. I wasn't there. I only know what the media has told me about this case, and there's so much bias these days.

I don't have a horse in this race, either. I just hope there isn't much violence when it ends, one way or another.

It seemed pretty likely a couple of weeks ago that he was going to have to be charged, and it seems equally likely to me now that he'll be acquitted or, at worst, there will be a mistrial - absent some key piece of evidence we don't know about.

What I am fairly sure of, is regardless of who wins and who loses, if there is violence and looting, some white guys will be making away with a bunch of electronics and appliances in the name of racial equality. You can mark that down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #461
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I have no horse in this race, but Zimmerman's "attorneys" are assholes for doing this in public.

It's their decision whether to withdraw as counsel, but their public displays are unprofessional and possibly unethical.
I was thinking the same thing. Plus they seemed to disclose information about Zimmerman that I thought would be covered under attorney-client.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #462
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This one will - absent some stunning reveal - come down to jury selection.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #463
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Darn... I was hoping for a huge manhunt with him posting patriotic ramblings about freedom on his website, just to keep things interesting.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #464
JediKooter
Coordinator

Does he own a white Ford Bronco?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #465
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Does he own a white Ford Bronco?

I think he's Hispanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #466
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I think he's Hispanic.

Ah, so it will have a bunch of extra lights and a sparkly paint job then.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #467
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Ah, so it will have a bunch of extra lights and a sparkly paint job then.

Yeah, probably a green paint job with tons of gold accents. Probably a giant painted religious mural on the front.
Quote:
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #468
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, probably a green paint job with tons of gold accents. Probably a giant painted religious mural on the front.

lmao, took me all of 30 seconds to find one

Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #469
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
lmao, took me all of 30 seconds to find one

I was thinking more along the lines of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2386017269_9a3e965cc2.jpg (137.8 KB, 382 views)

Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #470
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This one will - absent some stunning reveal - come down to jury selection.
...and it would seem that -- again absent some stunning reveal -- a hung jury is the most likely outcome, no?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #471
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
C'mon, it's Florida. There is no such thing as a 'likely outcome'.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #472
bronconick
College Starter

I think they overcharged on this one, too. Unless they can include the option(s) for manslaughter in there, a hung jury or even acquittal may be most likely, just like when that prosecutor went 1st degree murder or nothing on Casey Anthony down there last summer.
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #473
Ragone
Pro Rookie

My wife and i have talked quite a bit about this case... i agree with bronconick that they overchaged.. But Da was in a unwinnable situation.. Go for manslaughter and public is outraged... Go for murder and have a way rougher path to sled. And if they fail to convict him of murder.. public is still outraged.

Not to mention defense is going to argue that trayvon wasn't a model teenager with some discipline problems. Jury selection is going to be Everything in this trial
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #474
sabotai
General Manager

I don't know much about Florida law but maybe someone here knows this. Is the DA even allowed to charge him with both murder and manslaughter, so does it have to be one or the other?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #475
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I don't know much about Florida law but maybe someone here knows this. Is the DA even allowed to charge him with both murder and manslaughter, so does it have to be one or the other?

He can't be charged with both, but I believe that the law in Florida allows the jury instructions to also include the option of considering manslaughter.

EDIT: Found it. Here is a link to the Florida Supreme Court document on Jury Instructions:
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/j...structions.pdf

From the section on verdicts:

1. Verdict form for single count, single defendant.
We, the jury, find as follows, as to the defendant in this case: (check only one)
___a. The defendant is guilty of (crime charged).
___b. The defendant is guilty of (a lesser included offense).
___c. The defendant is not guilty.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #476
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

So for somebody ignorant of all this, he will probably be charged, but it will be much less then the charge of 2nd Degree Murder? Might as well charge him with the most you can and hope for the best is what the prosecutor is thinking?

e: "probably be charged" is a bad choice of words without knowing the evidence. I should have said, "if he is charged."

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-12-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #477
PilotMan
Head Coach

Judge quits Trayvon Martin case, cites conflict - Yahoo! News

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The Florida judge presiding over the Trayvon Martin shooting case removed herself Wednesday after the attorney for defendant George Zimmerman argued she had a possible conflict of interest that related to her husband.

Judge Kenneth M. Lester Jr. will preside over the case. The next judge who would be in the court rotation, John D. Galluzzo, also cited a conflict, so Lester was selected, according to a news release from the court.

Florida Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler had said she would make a decision by Friday, when a bond hearing for Zimmerman had been set. Her husband works with Orlando attorney Mark NeJame, who was first approached by Zimmerman's family to represent the neighborhood watch volunteer.

But NeJame declined and referred them to Mark O'Mara, who is now representing Zimmerman. NeJame has since been hired by CNN to comment on the case.

Galluzzo said he had a conflict because of his personal and business relationship with O'Mara.

O'Mara said he requested that Recksiedler step down now because the case is just beginning and he wanted any possible conflict to be addressed right away rather than in the middle of the case. Recksiedler was assigned the case after Zimmerman's arrest last week.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #478
RedKingGold
College Starter

No surprise. In a case this high profile, the judge should recuse him or herself if there is any whiff of a potential conflict.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #479
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I've read multiple reports that said he was treated on site for injuries to the head and face.

If he was treated, it's not difficult to find out. Simply ask the police who arrived on scene, the EMP's on site and the rest of it. I've read in one or two articles he went to get medical help the next day for injuries. Again, this is either documented or it isn't.

The police footage looks bad for him though, that's for sure.

Apparently a second look at the video changes things.

ABC News: Enhanced Video Shows Injury To Zimmerman's Head : The Two-Way : NPR

This is shaking my belief in this whole trial by public opinion we have going on.

Edit: Hmm this article is a couple of weeks old. I found it by linking from another article about a "newly" released picture apparently taken just after the shooting which apparently shows the back of his head bloodied. I'm somewhat skeptical of that news however because the details appear to be a bit sketchy.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 04-20-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #480
Havok
College Starter

And yet another new photo out today. It shows Zimmerman's head covered in blood and apparently was taken 3 mins after the shooting.

This whole case infuriates me to no end. Not ONE person knows exactly what happened that night, outside of Zimmerman, yet the 'court of public opinion', fueled by a politically correct, race baiting media, convicted this guy weeks ago.

You have congressman/congresswomen (former black panther congressman), on the house floor, making complete asses out of themselves over this case, when they had NO idea what happened as well. Al Sharpton stirring people up,(you'd think he'd learn to wait for all the evidence after the Duke lacrosse case embarrassment) and the president even jumping in, when again, no one has any clue what happened that night.

So far we have doctored audio tapes by the media, blurry police video, and fuzzy audio tape which CNN tried their hardest to make it sound like Zimmeman said 'f*cking coons", when in reality, he didn't say that at all.

This guy is getting screwed royally and 70% of the public don't care. Maybe he is guilty and maybe he isn't, i have no clue. But turning this into some racial issue when no evidence suggests that this had ANYTHING to do with race, is a joke. And it all happened because before the media saw a picture of this guy (who is Hispanic, oh wait, no, he's a white Hispanic according to the NYT, so i guess Obama is a white african american), they saw 'George Zimmerman' (white name), kills an unarmed black teen. So they jumped all over it.

With all that said, I believe both parties were in the wrong here. Zimmerman shouldn’t have followed and Trayvon shouldn’t have come after him. It is a tragedy that a teenager lost his life, nobody wants that. I think Zimmerman will plead into a manslaughter charge and that will be it.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #481
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
...and Trayvon shouldn’t have come after him.

There were no other witnesses, as far as we know, other than Zimmerman. So not really following you on this statement of yours.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #482
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Like most of the details the media won't STFU about, it's entirely irrelevant what Trayvon did to the guy that stalked and confronted him. He was well within his right to defend himself from a strange, large and older guy stalking him.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #483
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Like most of the details the media won't STFU about, it's entirely irrelevant what Trayvon did to the guy that stalked and confronted him. He was well within his right to defend himself from a strange, large and older guy stalking him.

I still trying to figure out if this needs a sarcasm smilie. Not to mention where it would go.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #484
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

If I'm walking home and some random dude stalks me and walks up to me threateningly, I'm not expecting me decking him to get called into question.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #485
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
If I'm walking home and some random dude stalks me and walks up to me threateningly, I'm not expecting me decking him to get called into question.

Hmm, apparently taking that approach can even get you shot.

Seriously though.

I'm following you on the stalking bit. It seems that both of them knew that was going on. Yes Travon knew he was being followed, and yes Zimmerman admitted that he left his vehicle to pursue and maybe even potentially confront his "suspicious person". I quote loosely. I can't recall what specifically Zimmerman said.

I'm not sure that we know anything about how the stalking actually ended.

Zimmerman confronting Martin?
Certainly that was Zimmerman's intent, but he says he failed in his efforts. If he had accomplished this goal, I'd guess that either or both of them could have escalated the situation to where it ended up.

Martin confronting Zimmerman?
This is what Zimmerman says happened. I'm not aware of any evidence that proves or disproves this assertion. But again either or both of them could have contributed to escalating this all of the way.

In any case, not all of the facts are in evidence, and I don't think anyone depending on the news for their information knows enough to declare victory for one side or the other.

I do think Zimmerman is a loser, and he certainly started the ball rolling down this path. I also think that it is possible that it was Martin who brought about the fatal escalation to the situation.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #486
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK, I have to admit, I barely skimmed what people are saying here. However, I don't understand what an injury to the back of his head has to do with anything. He had NO reason to be following Martin. Where is Trayvon's right to "Stand his ground"? You can't say he attacked you when you were the one stalking him and had no reason to be close enough to him to be attacked.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #487
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
... He had NO reason to be following Martin. Where is Trayvon's right to "Stand his ground"? You can't say he attacked you when you were the one stalking him and had no reason to be close enough to him to be attacked.

Really?

I'd say that anyone is completely within their "rights" to follow someone they considered suspicious. That is, if they are so inclined. Zimmerman certainly wasn't violating Martin's rights by following him. Sure he was probably being a jerk, but he didn't, as far as we know, give Martin any Need to "stand his ground".
Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #488
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Really?

I'd say that anyone is completely within their "rights" to follow someone they considered suspicious. That is, if they are so inclined. Zimmerman certainly wasn't violating Martin's rights by following him. Sure he was probably being a jerk, but he didn't, as far as we know, give Martin any Need to "stand his ground".

Easy to make that assumption until you are put into the predicament. I will continue to go back to it being a moot point if he had just quit following as the dispatcher advised. Police are trained and paid to be "heros," the majority of civilians lack both the training and instincts to do the police departments job.....

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-20-2012 at 06:14 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #489
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Easy to make that assumption until you are put into the predicament. I will continue to go back to it being a moot point if he had just quit following as the dispatcher advised. Police are trained and paid to be "heros," the majority of civilians lack both the training and instincts to do the police departments job.....

Exactly. He, as a member of the neighborhood watch, was told by the Police not to follow him. He grabbed his gun and did it anyway.

By your (Glengoyne) argument, Martin did nothing to require Zimmerman to "Stand his ground" either. We know Zimmerman was following him against police direction. He was possibly attacked for going against that order, getting out of his car, and presumably approaching or getting near Martin.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #490
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

True about Zimmerman setting this all in motion. True about him ignoring the dispatcher. It would have been better for everyone involved if he, Zimmerman, had made other choices when this whole affair started. Clearly Zimmerman started this ball rolling.

Quote:

By your (Glengoyne) argument, Martin did nothing to require Zimmerman to "Stand his ground" either. We know Zimmerman was following him against police direction. He was possibly attacked for going against that order, getting out of his car, and presumably approaching or getting near Martin.

I don't agree that it would be acceptable for Martin to attack Zimmerman simply for following him. That doesn't track in my book. Yeah some guy is following you, and he got out of his car to do it. You can keep moving or you can ask them what they are doing following you. There are lots of good options that don't involve violence. If Martin did attack Zimmerman, then he specifically did give Zimmerman a reason to "stand his ground".

We really don't know. Zimmerman apparently has stated that he was attacked while walking back to his vehicle. To my knowledge we don't know that Martin was aware of Zimmerman's being armed. We don't know that the evidence will support Zimmerman's allegation. We don't know if words were exchanged before the altercation that apparently happened. I'm sizing up the things that we think know, and I think Zimmerman has more going for him than anyone initially believed.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #491
JediKooter
Coordinator

I personally don't care if Zimmerman is innocent or guilty, but, he better get a fair trial. I've already read that the affidavit for his arrest was pretty piss poor, which sounds to me like the prosecution is setting itself up for an OJ style performance. So I'm not really expecting that we'll know much more after the trial is done, than what we know now.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #492
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
OK, I have to admit, I barely skimmed what people are saying here. However, I don't understand what an injury to the back of his head has to do with anything. He had NO reason to be following Martin. Where is Trayvon's right to "Stand his ground"? You can't say he attacked you when you were the one stalking him and had no reason to be close enough to him to be attacked.

Well this is what i heard on the news yesterday.

That neighborhood has had 8 burglaries over the last year, witnesses reported seeing a young black man around time of the break ins.

So Trayvon is walking through the neighborhood at night, with a hoodie on and I'm sure he had his pants halfway down his ass. (i say that not because he is black, but from his twitter/facebook comments and the fact that he seemed obsessed with acting like he was some 'tough gangster'). He was apparently cutting between houses as well, now whether that was because they were shortcuts, or because he though Zimmerman was chasing him, who knows.

That's more or less how i heard it explained. Is it true? I have no clue. Should he have followed? Probably not. Did he hunt Trayvon down LIKE A DOG and murder him like a certain congresswoman said who likes wearing ridiculous outfits during hearings? No, probably not.

But stfu and let the justice system work and stop acting like this is some huge racial issue. It isn't the 1950's anymore people, stop with the BS.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #493
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
(i say that not because he is black, but from his twitter/facebook comments and the fact that he seemed obsessed with acting like he was some 'tough gangster').
It was proven that the media jumped the gun, yet again, with this twitter/facebook stuff.

That was a different Trayvon Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #494
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
And yet another new photo out today. It shows Zimmerman's head covered in blood and apparently was taken 3 mins after the shooting.

This whole case infuriates me to no end. Not ONE person knows exactly what happened that night, outside of Zimmerman, yet the 'court of public opinion', fueled by a politically correct, race baiting media, convicted this guy weeks ago.

You have congressman/congresswomen (former black panther congressman), on the house floor, making complete asses out of themselves over this case, when they had NO idea what happened as well. Al Sharpton stirring people up,(you'd think he'd learn to wait for all the evidence after the Duke lacrosse case embarrassment) and the president even jumping in, when again, no one has any clue what happened that night.

So far we have doctored audio tapes by the media, blurry police video, and fuzzy audio tape which CNN tried their hardest to make it sound like Zimmeman said 'f*cking coons", when in reality, he didn't say that at all.

This guy is getting screwed royally and 70% of the public don't care. Maybe he is guilty and maybe he isn't, i have no clue. But turning this into some racial issue when no evidence suggests that this had ANYTHING to do with race, is a joke. And it all happened because before the media saw a picture of this guy (who is Hispanic, oh wait, no, he's a white Hispanic according to the NYT, so i guess Obama is a white african american), they saw 'George Zimmerman' (white name), kills an unarmed black teen. So they jumped all over it.

With all that said, I believe both parties were in the wrong here. Zimmerman shouldn’t have followed and Trayvon shouldn’t have come after him. It is a tragedy that a teenager lost his life, nobody wants that. I think Zimmerman will plead into a manslaughter charge and that will be it.

This is one of the most assinine posts I've ever read.

You're going on about things that simply Do not matter. You don't like teh media spin? don't fucking listen to it.

Fact A: Zimmerman followed and confronted martin
Fact: B Zimmerman was armed.
Fact C: Martin was NOT armed.
Fact D: Zimmerman shot and killed an unarmed man.

Now you want to talk about getting "Screwed Royally" perhaps you should think about how the parents of a 17 yr old boy are feeling today. Somone Zimmerman actively persued even when told it was NOT necessary. A Man who used deadly force against an UNARMED person.

Zimmerman is honestly lucky that the kid WAS black. IF the races were shifted and Zimmerman had been black and martin white or pretty much any other race Zimmerman would most likely be in prison already. THAT would be unfiar and royally screwed.

Zimmerman, no matter the results of public or teh court's opinions, killed someone of his own free will. Start with THAT fact and chew on it a bit before you start screaming at teh media and everyone else. THINK about what actual facts there are before clinging to all the extraneous BS that keeps flowing out.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #495
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
It was proven that the media jumped the gun, yet again, with this twitter/facebook stuff.

That was a different Trayvon Martin.

How ironic that in railing against people jumping to conclusions and stereotyping he jumped all over the false media story and stereotyping that supported his agenda
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #496
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How ironic that in railing against people jumping to conclusions and stereotyping he jumped all over the false media story and stereotyping that supported his agenda

This.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #497
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

But stfu and let the justice system work and stop acting like this is some huge racial issue. It isn't the 1950's anymore people, stop with the BS.

I hope this wasn't aimed directly at me -- nowhere do I mention race. You are right, though. This isn't the 1950's -- particularly not the 1850's. People should not be carrying around weapons to enforce rule in their own neighborhoods.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #498
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

This sounds an awful lot like someone saying racism doesn't exist anymore.

It does.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #499
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

A lot of people seem to equate racism with back of the bus and segregation. Just because those are relics of the 50's does not mean racism is gone. It's swung towards profiling and negative stereotypes, both conscious and subconscious. I don't believe Zimmerman was actively/consciously racist, but he did stereotype a young black male in a hoodie as a criminal. Which I believe is something more of us would do than we're likely to admit.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-22-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #500
Autumn
Head Coach

It's something all of us do, in many, many ways and there's reams of scientific evidence to support that. I hate when I hear people say that racism is not a big deal anymore, when it's one of the most supported conclusions we can make about people. If researchers tell you a story using an ethnic name, or by showing you a minority face, you (as in a typical American tested scientifically) are more likely to judge that person as violent or angry or lazy, for instance. Regardless of even systemic, societal racism, are brains are more often than not primed to use stereotypes and draw unfair conclusions. That's the fact on the ground, and we have to start from there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote