Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #451
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Great play by Farrior? all he ahd to do was catch a weak ass throw right in his chest.

THIS is exactly why we went after Palmer, Kitna cannot make NFL throws when they are needed.

C y'all next year, this ride is down for repairs.

anybody who can shut the door in a playoff game is deserv'ed of a 'great play' comment.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #452
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Randle El is missing his calling as a soccer player. Every single time he's involved in a play, it seems he's whining to the referees about something.

Glad I'm not the only one who notices this. I wish they would start flagging guys for whining to the refs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #453
Desnudo
Coordinator

Marvin Lewis had a fantastic afro.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #454
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Glad I'm not the only one who notices this. I wish they would start flagging guys for whining to the refs.

the refs are too busy raising both their hands for a TD signal.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #455
Desnudo
Coordinator

Screens probably aren't the best call down by 14 with 5 minutes left.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #456
Hurst2112
College Starter

good night Irene...

Hey Chad Johnson...you were kinda right, there are going to be about 30 points scored each playoff game.

Now, go home and learn how to take the next step to being a better player.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #457
korme
Go Reds

I'm going to cry
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #458
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

As I said earlier this week, I was most confident of this outcome out of all the playoff games. Still, the Bengals absolutely had an opportunity to win this. I have to imagine no Palmer cost them at least TD, and the screwed-up field goal attempt changed the entire momentum of the game.

Decent effort by the Bengals, but the Steelers are just built better for the playoffs.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #459
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't think Palmer being out was a huge factor. Kitna played very well until the Steelers got up by 11 and began blitzing the hell out of him. They hung tough.

Good year for the Bengals. Steelers will need to be +2 or better in TO next week to have a chance, I fear.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #460
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

next week predictions:
Indy
New England
Carolina
Seattle
Old 01-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #461
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
next week predictions:
Indy
New England
Carolina
Seattle

Sounds right. Pretty much indifferent to 3 of the games but I really, really want the Pats to win.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #462
korme
Go Reds

At the end of the first half I was singing Kitna's praises. But that second half was a whole different story. He was afraid to throw the damn ball, afraid to lob it deep to CJ (who has proved time and time again he will come up with the ball), and was never afraid to make a 4 yard pass.

If anyone has TiVo, help me out here. Go back to 6 minutes left in the game. There are two plays in a row where we caught the ball and got out of bounds, but the clock kept running. I was furious. Please confirm this for me...

It sucks so bad because I don't think other people know how it feels. I have never even seen (too young) the Bengals in the playoffs. In contention. 15 years of misery. I finally get a chance, and our franchise baby Palmer tears his ACL & MCL, first pass of his playoff career. I hadn't ever experienced a let down because basically, we've never played in a game more meaningful than this since I have followed along. So it was a new feeling of hurt today as that second half wore on. And now next year we have a really, really, hard schedule and who knows if Palmer will even be ready. I'm rambling...
Old 01-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #463
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Sounds right. Pretty much indifferent to 3 of the games but I really, really want the Pats to win.

FWIW I am least confident about that game. By a long shot. The other 3 are locks, IMHO.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #464
st.cronin
General Manager

No way does Carolina beat Chicago. That game will be a blowout.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #465
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
If anyone has TiVo, help me out here. Go back to 6 minutes left in the game. There are two plays in a row where we caught the ball and got out of bounds, but the clock kept running. I was furious. Please confirm this for me...

I can't go back and see myself, but I believe the rule is that the clock only stops when players go out of bounds inside the last 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #466
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
No way does Carolina beat Chicago. That game will be a blowout.

Just like Cincy blowing out Pittsburgh today, right?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #467
Dutch
"Dutch"

Palmer being out absolutely was a huge factor. The Steelers defense doesn't fear a cold Kitna. No way. They can play with confidence and focus on dictating the gameflow. If Palmer is there, Palmer has a chance to dictate the flow of the game.

If anybody here believes that a backup quality QB is only a slight drop-off from a top-flight starting QB, they don't understand the game of professional football. Stats do not tell the whole story.

That being said, if you end up with a backup QB that is playing, I hope you picked a good one. Because injuries happen.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #468
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Palmer being out absolutely was a huge factor. The Steelers defense doesn't fear a cold Kitna. No way. They can play with confidence and focus on dictating the gameflow. If Palmer is there, Palmer has a chance to dictate the flow of the game.

If anybody here believes that a backup quality QB is only a slight drop-off from a top-flight starting QB, they don't understand the game of professional football. Stats do not tell the whole story.

That being said, if you end up with a backup QB that is playing, I hope you picked a good one. Because injuries happen.

Regardless, you aren't going to win many (any?) playoff games letting up 31 points. The defense ultimately killed them.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #469
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Just like Cincy blowing out Pittsburgh today, right?

If Grossman blows out his acl, my pick will change.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #470
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Yer right. We are a completely different offense without Palmer. I just hope he recovers and comes back to the level he was at. Is that typical for a QB with this type of injury? He's so good I don't want to see a potentially great career hindered.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #471
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can't go back and see myself, but I believe the rule is that the clock only stops when players go out of bounds inside the last 5 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Forward progress was probably stopped?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #472
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
When did this rule change?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #473
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
When did this rule change?

5-6 years ago i think.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yer right. We are a completely different offense without Palmer. I just hope he recovers and comes back to the level he was at. Is that typical for a QB with this type of injury? He's so good I don't want to see a potentially great career hindered.

One possible side effect could be shoulder damage if his legs do not completely heal, and he starts overcompensating for his lack of footwork/leg strength by overthrowing. Otherwise, I've heard a 12 month rehab, maybe he makes it back by the last couple weeks of next season.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #475
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

8. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #476
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I though the "2 guys rushing, Kitna scrambles and ducks the one guy that he practically ran into trying to get OUT of the nice pocket of 5 guys blocking 2 that was set up, then while all by himself with no one around and receivers starting to come open for a big play he bumps the ball with his thigh and has to fall on it" play told the whole story

I feel bad for the Bengals fans. To lose Palmer on that freak hit had to be crushing. Here's hoping he recovers fully in the offseason and gets the Bengals back next year.

I was really pulling for Cincy, too. New England at Denver scares the beejeezus out of this Pats fan. New England rarely plays well at Denver, but I keep reminding myself that it's the playoffs and "In Bill We Trust" as Bellichik and Brady have a record of avenging big regular season losses in the playoffs.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #477
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I though the "2 guys rushing, Kitna scrambles and ducks the one guy that he practically ran into trying to get OUT of the nice pocket of 5 guys blocking 2 that was set up, then while all by himself with no one around and receivers starting to come open for a big play he bumps the ball with his thigh and has to fall on it" play told the whole story

I feel bad for the Bengals fans. To lose Palmer on that freak hit had to be crushing. Here's hoping he recovers fully in the offseason and gets the Bengals back next year.

I was really pulling for Cincy, too. New England at Denver scares the beejeezus out of this Pats fan. New England rarely plays well at Denver, but I keep reminding myself that it's the playoffs and "In Bill We Trust" as Bellichik and Brady have a record of avenging big regular season losses in the playoffs.

Would you have felt better with the Pats going into Indy?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #478
korme
Go Reds

"This will play out as one of the greatest "What If's" in Cincinnati sports history......Greg Cook, Vida Blue, Stanley Wilson, Tim Krummrie, Kenyon Martin."
Old 01-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #479
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Chances are the Pats are going to have to go through Indi anyways, I never saw the significance of when.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #480
Radii
Head Coach

No way does Chicago blow out Carolina. They may well win but I'll be suprised if its by more than 10. I really hope Carolina can limit the mistakes(and sacks allowed) from the last meeting and win.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #481
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Losing Henry was almost as a big of a problem as losing Palmer. Walter is good, but he isn't a deep threat. The Steelers were able to double Chad with no fear of anyone else getting deep. After the Palmer to Henry play they couldn't hit anything deep and the game was played within fifteen yards of the LOS.

I've watched the postgame videos on Bengals.com and Lewis isn't willing to blame anything on losing Palmer/Henry. "Just do your job." I hope that Palmer can come back next year and the team grows from this loss.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #482
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Would you have felt better with the Pats going into Indy?

Yes, personally. The intentional safety game excepted, the Patriots have a horrible history in Denver. There's plenty of history too since the NFL really seems to enjoy having them play in Denver.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #483
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Yes, personally. The intentional safety game excepted, the Patriots have a horrible history in Denver. There's plenty of history too since the NFL really seems to enjoy having them play in Denver.
Agreed. Bellichik generally has Peyton's number (and his defense is much healthier now than it was earlier this season, plus the offense is clicking better), but the Broncos always seem to have New England's number. Denver scares me more than any other team in the AFC.

Not saying Indy would be easy or anything, just that I think Denver matches up very well against the Pats and is a more difficult game.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #484
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Agreed. Bellichik generally has Peyton's number (and his defense is much healthier now than it was earlier this season, plus the offense is clicking better), but the Broncos always seem to have New England's number. Denver scares me more than any other team in the AFC.

Not saying Indy would be easy or anything, just that I think Denver matches up very well against the Pats and is a more difficult game.

Defensively for NE it seems pretty straightforward. Gang up on the run and hope someone can cover Lelie down the field. And hope for Plummer to help them out.

On offense it's all on Brady...which is good I guess. NE won't be able to run much on Denver so it will be 4 wide, spread the field.

Shapes up as a good game I think.

Problem for NE is that it's a daunting task to win on the road back to back in Denver and Indy.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #485
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Other than their history, I'm not sure this is that bad of a matchup. The Pats strength matches up well with the Denver's(Rushing D vs O) and Belichick/Mangini can give Plummer looks they couldn't of executed during their last meeting. Either way, I think it'll be a good game.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #486
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
good night Irene...

Hey Chad Johnson...you were kinda right, there are going to be about 30 points scored each playoff game.

Now, go home and learn how to take the next step to being a better player.

Chad works his ass off. He probably outworks 95% of the NFL. Sure, he talks. He has a good time. He also practically lives at Paul Brown Stadium.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #487
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Kind of late chiming in (I work graveyard, I'm late for a lot of stuff), but I'm with Shorty on the emotions felt by some of us younger Bengals fans.. I was literally on the verge of tears because I waited 15 years.. I was nine, and hardly understood what being a fan of a team meant the last time Cinci made the playoffs.. This time, we had a great shot as long as Palmer was on.. I didn't even THINK about him getting hurt.. especially on the second offensive play of the game.. Can you imagine the extreme excitement watching Henry haul in a beautiful 66 yard pass which would have immediately given the Bengals HUGE momentum.. Only to have it turned into an almost sick feeling as I watched the Franchise writhing in pain on the turf?

The first half was inspiring to me, watching Cinci fight the hardest I have ever seen them fight.. But I knew so surely that it wasn't to be. There was no way they could keep up that fight after learning the extent of Palmers injury.

One, I am glad to know just how much this has become Palmers team. Sure, they rallied around Kitna, but there's no way in hell that this offense is anything close to the same without Palmer running it. The entire team seemed to echo that in the post game stuff I have read.

Two, I am almost positive he (and the Bengals) will be back next year, and still better than they were this season. He is one of the hardest working players in the league, and he won't let this stop him from a comeback.

Three, I really hope Indy wins next week.. I just don't like Roethlisberger and Ward.
Theyre fucking elitists.

Good luck to the rest of the teams this postseason, but I will have a hard time watching even the Super Bowl after the first 10 minutes of yesterdays game.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #488
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Three, I really hope Indy wins next week.. I just don't like Roethlisberger and Ward.
Theyre fucking elitists.
Course if Indi does lose you'll have to listen to the players and Polian whine to the press and to the league rather than just sucking it up.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #489
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
No way does Chicago blow out Carolina. They may well win but I'll be suprised if its by more than 10. I really hope Carolina can limit the mistakes(and sacks allowed) from the last meeting and win.

Yeah, Chicago and Blowout aren't exactly synonyms in my mind. I think the Bears win, but it is going to be an ugly game with something like a 14-13 final score.

My other picks

Denver over New England (I think New England had the best chance to beat the Colts so its too bad they have to travel to Denver)

Seattle over Washington (Deadskins have no offense, and I don't see their D shutting down Seattle's O like they did to the sucky O of the Bucs)

Indy over Pittsburgh (since I don't see the Patties beating up the Broncos at home, it looks like smooth sailing for the Colts). This could be a blowout.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #490
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
Kind of late chiming in (I work graveyard, I'm late for a lot of stuff), but I'm with Shorty on the emotions felt by some of us younger Bengals fans.. I was literally on the verge of tears because I waited 15 years.. I was nine, and hardly understood what being a fan of a team meant the last time Cinci made the playoffs.. This time, we had a great shot as long as Palmer was on.. I didn't even THINK about him getting hurt.. especially on the second offensive play of the game.. Can you imagine the extreme excitement watching Henry haul in a beautiful 66 yard pass which would have immediately given the Bengals HUGE momentum.. Only to have it turned into an almost sick feeling as I watched the Franchise writhing in pain on the turf?

The first half was inspiring to me, watching Cinci fight the hardest I have ever seen them fight.. But I knew so surely that it wasn't to be. There was no way they could keep up that fight after learning the extent of Palmers injury.

One, I am glad to know just how much this has become Palmers team. Sure, they rallied around Kitna, but there's no way in hell that this offense is anything close to the same without Palmer running it. The entire team seemed to echo that in the post game stuff I have read.

Two, I am almost positive he (and the Bengals) will be back next year, and still better than they were this season. He is one of the hardest working players in the league, and he won't let this stop him from a comeback.

Theyre fucking elitists.

Good luck to the rest of the teams this postseason, but I will have a hard time watching even the Super Bowl after the first 10 minutes of yesterdays game.

It was disapointing that the way things turned out, but you could see it coming when they gave Lewis a Gatorade bath during the regular season. Just a lot of little things like that that said they were just happy to be there. I'm sure Palmer will recover and the Bengals will always have a chance with him in there.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #491
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Other than their history, I'm not sure this is that bad of a matchup. The Pats strength matches up well with the Denver's(Rushing D vs O) and Belichick/Mangini can give Plummer looks they couldn't of executed during their last meeting. Either way, I think it'll be a good game.

If the game were in Foxboro, I would believe strongly that the Pats should be favored. Out of any place in the league, I think Denver is the toughest to play for them.

Of course the flip-side is that there is no way that the Bengals were going to beat the Broncos, so they would have been in Denver eventually anyway. This scenario at least leaves them with a shot at hosting the AFC game if the Steelers can pull off a minor miracle. I would find Pats v. Steelers to be the funniest outcome of the season. Even if the Steelers won, I would still enjoy the situation.

Last edited by Desnudo : 01-09-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #492
korme
Go Reds

JR, did you see our schedule for next year? It's brutal. If Palmer only plays half a season, we better look forward to the '07 campaign.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #493
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think that with this week over someone should get a start on a new divisional playoffs thread. The wildcard is done.

The AFC is so much stronger than the NFC I would take any of the AFC teams against Seattle or the best that the NFC has to offer. It just seems like there is a major quality gap this season.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #494
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols

Theyre fucking elitists.

This coming from a team that made a rap video, has a wide reciever that sends pepto bismal to another teams DB'S, and has to have the head coach issue a gag order so his team doesnt give the Steelers Poster board material. Not like they didnt have enough with the "we are the new boys on the block" comments.

I admire the way cinci has turned it around, and I think marvin lewis is great, but come on, the pot is definitely calling the kettle black here
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #495
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
I think that with this week over someone should get a start on a new divisional playoffs thread. The wildcard is done.

The AFC is so much stronger than the NFC I would take any of the AFC teams against Seattle or the best that the NFC has to offer. It just seems like there is a major quality gap this season.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...76#post1013776
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #496
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Let me throw out a worst case scenario for the Bengals. I hope it doesn't happen, but it certainly could end the Bengals' run before it begins.

1) Palmer can't return and is put on the PUP list. He comes back in November 2006, but is rusty. He plays well in December, but the team doesn't play as well without him. Coupled with a tough schedule the Bengals go 9-7 but miss out on the playoffs.

2) Because of the uncertainty with Palmer the Bengals sign both Kitna and another veteran as a backup. This money takes them to the cap and they are unable to resign any of the offensive line long-term.

3) Chad Johnson asks for a pya raise. He isn't the jerk T.O is, but its hard to argue that he isn't the key member of the offense with Palmer out. He'll never have a better argument and even though he's a team guy he sits out two weeks of the preseason. He eventually signs a new deal, but he never again meshes with Marvin and becomes more and more of a distraction.

4) After the 06 season the Bengals are unable to resign Levi Jones and Bobbie Simmons. The 07 team will have a healthy Carson, but 3/5 of the line is new. (Ghiacuc takes over for Braham)

5) The collective bargaining agreement doesn't get settled and 07 becomes an uncapped year. The big market teams aren't willing to do much to get a deal as the uncapped year gives them an advantage. The Bengals hold salary to the 06 level and lose out on any name free agents.

6) My beautiful long sleeve Bengals t-shirt gets bleach poured on it and it along with all my hopes and dreams is ruined forever!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #497
G-Man
High School JV

Cool Gee are all Bengal Fans as "cheerful and optiistic" as you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Let me throw out a worst case scenario for the Bengals. I hope it doesn't happen, but it certainly could end the Bengals' run before it begins.

1) Palmer can't return and is put on the PUP list. He comes back in November 2006, but is rusty. He plays well in December, but the team doesn't play as well without him. Coupled with a tough schedule the Bengals go 9-7 but miss out on the playoffs.

2) Because of the uncertainty with Palmer the Bengals sign both Kitna and another veteran as a backup. This money takes them to the cap and they are unable to resign any of the offensive line long-term.

3) Chad Johnson asks for a pya raise. He isn't the jerk T.O is, but its hard to argue that he isn't the key member of the offense with Palmer out. He'll never have a better argument and even though he's a team guy he sits out two weeks of the preseason. He eventually signs a new deal, but he never again meshes with Marvin and becomes more and more of a distraction.

4) After the 06 season the Bengals are unable to resign Levi Jones and Bobbie Simmons. The 07 team will have a healthy Carson, but 3/5 of the line is new. (Ghiacuc takes over for Braham)

5) The collective bargaining agreement doesn't get settled and 07 becomes an uncapped year. The big market teams aren't willing to do much to get a deal as the uncapped year gives them an advantage. The Bengals hold salary to the 06 level and lose out on any name free agents.

6) My beautiful long sleeve Bengals t-shirt gets bleach poured on it and it along with all my hopes and dreams is ruined forever!

Glass half empty kinda guy, huh!

Last edited by G-Man : 01-10-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote