Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #451
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Did everyone else get the impression that Jungle lady and One-eye Willie knew each other?
You would think so if her story is true. She has been there how many years, 15? And her team was either kidnapped or killed by the others? I'm sure she had to have run into the guy at some point wandering around the jungle for that many years, it just seems implausible not to. The people who crashed ran into him a few months after they crashed, and for Rousseau to know so much about the island, I find it hard to believe she had no idea about him.

Plus it was rather fishy that she decided to go to the river when they went to initially meet him, like she knew he was dangerous.

Anyone speak russian to translate what was said? Or is it safe to assume she said "Shoot me now". Or do you think she kept saying..."DAMMIT,Did somebody order a black russian!?!?!?"
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #452
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post

1. Locke didn't win the chess game.

He didn't? I could have swore the computer said "You Won!". But maybe my eyes are seeing things...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #453
spleen1015
Coordinator

He won.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #454
Kodos
Resident Alien

He kicked the computers deep blue butt.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #455
rjolley
College Starter

He lost at first, then won and got to the secret message.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #456
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
He didn't? I could have swore the computer said "You Won!". But maybe my eyes are seeing things...

It said "You Won!" but he didn't.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #457
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I'm not sure it does. I am still a regular viewer and enjoy the show a lot. I stopped posting as much in this thread because all the naysaying ruined the fun of it. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if other viewers comment less for the same reason.

Perhaps the naysaying is right. Although you may enjoy it, apparently many do not. A brand-new episode of Lost got beat by a CSI: NY re-run this week in the Nielsen ratings.

hxxp://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ratings030807,0,1598089.story?coll=zap-tv-ratings-headlines

Quote:
At 10 p.m., a "CSI: NY" rerun, 7.8/13, on CBS edged ABC's "Lost," 7.6/12, for the top spot. "Medium" came in at 5.8/10 for NBC.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #458
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm with John G.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #459
sabotai
General Manager

I wonder if Lost's ratings are being hurt by ABC putting all of the episodes on its website. (That's how I watch it). (EDIT: I didn't read the thread, sorry if someone else already brought this up)

Last edited by sabotai : 03-10-2007 at 08:24 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #460
cmp
Pro Rookie

I think a lot of people end up missing a few episodes and never get back into watching the show. I still look forward to this show every week and can't wait to watch. I used to post a lot after each episode on various forums but have stopped doing that. But my interest level hasn't faded.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #461
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I'm not sure it does. I am still a regular viewer and enjoy the show a lot. I stopped posting as much in this thread because all the naysaying ruined the fun of it. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if other viewers comment less for the same reason.
True for me, too.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #462
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm growing disenchanted with the show. The fact that they only showed 3 characters for almost 8 episodes was pretty sad. My favorite character is Locke, and the only thing he's done in season 3 so far is play a game of chess.

In a way it reminds me a lot of the X-Men comic books after 30 years of continuity. It just becomes an ugly mess. After a while you realize that the only way for the writers to get out of the hole they dug themselves is to reboot the series over and over again, something which may work in comic books occasionally, but would never fly on a TV series.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #463
Kodos
Resident Alien

So what's the theory on what Jack was doing at the end of the episode?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #464
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Haven't seen this show since the "winter/spring" season premier. The 10:00 time slot is just dreadful and now I just completely forget the thing is on and really don't care all that much.

A shame really. Was one of the best shows ever starting out and now it is just one big circle jerk. Ok, I really am not sure what a circle jerk is like but anyway.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #465
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I think he was playing football.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #466
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

Maybe he has accepted the fact that no one is coming to rescue him. He can either get busy living or get busy dying. Is he supposed to sit in a cell all day and mope?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #467
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:

Why bother thinking about it? It's not like the writers will provide any answers for it...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #468
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
idk, but I'm sure we'll have some heart-wrenching unsatisfactory debate with Kate over whether he was trying to gain their trust before escaping or just enjoying life there while Flight 815 suffered.

I'm more interested in the Locke-Sayid dynamic... there seems to be some unexplained tension there, which will be infinitely more interesting to me than any Kate/Sawyer/Jack triangles.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #469
Easy Mac

and people wonder why people don't post in this thread anymore. Seriously, we get it, rksmurf badn bryce don't like the show. Then just stop being douches and let us who do enjoy it actually discuss it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #470
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
and people wonder why people don't post in this thread anymore. Seriously, we get it, rksmurf badn bryce don't like the show. Then just stop being douches and let us who do enjoy it actually discuss it.

nobody is preventing you from discussing it. in fact I was discussing it as well.

now if this was the lost season 3 appreciation thread maybe you have a point.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #471
Easy Mac

but your not discussing the show, you just bash it without actually saying anything. we get that this is your job on the board since HA was boxed, but its getting kind of old.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #472
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
but your not discussing the show, you just bash it without actually saying anything. we get that this is your job on the board since HA was boxed, but its getting kind of old.

excuse me for saying the move to 10 ruined it for me and that I personally find it less interesting. yeah I'm really killing this thread.

carry on then sunshine.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #473
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
excuse me for saying the move to 10 ruined it for me and that I personally find it less interesting. yeah I'm really killing this thread.

carry on then sunshine.

People like you who come on here and just say that there not interested in the show anymore and have nothing to say about the actual episodes that are airing have no reason to post in this thread. We could care less if you don't find it interesting anymore.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #474
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm more interested in the Locke-Sayid dynamic... there seems to be some unexplained tension there, which will be infinitely more interesting to me than any Kate/Sawyer/Jack triangles.

The show does need more about Locke and Sayid. There's barely been anything about Locke this season and I always found him to be the most interesting character on the show.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #475
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101 View Post
People like you who come on here and just say that there not interested in the show anymore and have nothing to say about the actual episodes that are airing have no reason to post in this thread. We could care less if you don't find it interesting anymore.

and I'm hurting you how? I'm not preventing discussion and in fact other folks share a similar opinion. big deal.

I could care less about your analysis so we are even.

I will admit I find your concern over this matter somewhat humorous but will let you all get back to your in depth work on the project.

Discuss away!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #476
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the claire backstory was fairly boring this week, i thought, and it seemed pretty well known from last season that she was jacks half sister...

so in that regards, it was kinda boring.

the tagged birds idea was good, until that bird lands in water and the entire note (written on paper) is ruined...

and blood coming out of the ears? im for it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #477
bryce
High School Varsity

I was wondering about that paper note in the water thing, as well. Minor little detail...

But I certainly have not meant to bring a black cloud to this thread, my apologies. The show just frustrates me. And I frustrate myself by continuing to watch it. I'm a crackwhore when it comes to this show, though. I know better, I know this isn't good for me, I don't like myself for watching it, I regret wasting that hour afterwards, but then the next week, there I am, I can't help it, I'm tuning in. And repeat. It's a vicious cycle...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #478
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the tagged birds idea was good, until that bird lands in water and the entire note (written on paper) is ruined...

My exact thought when they were reading the note. I turned to my wife and said, well thats great until it dives into the water to get food or lands on the shoreline.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #479
Kodos
Resident Alien

Locke sure is an impulsive dude. He just does whatever urge strikes him without wondering about possible consequences at all. I'm starting not to like him.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #480
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Locke sure is an impulsive dude. He just does whatever urge strikes him without wondering about possible consequences at all. I'm starting not to like him.

Locke stopped being a likable character as soon as he opened the hatch.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #481
Easy Mac

I wonder if he's upset about being wrong about everything, his destiny, his sense of importance. I mean, he was wrong about the hatch, and you could see how pissed off he was when the Ukranian dude said he wasn't on the list.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #482
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think he learned something else playing chess that is causing him to act this way
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #483
spleen1015
Coordinator

He wants something from Ben.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #484
Rizon
Pro Starter

This was a decent episode, although I believe they can get off the schtick of the flashbacks now because they are useless. Jack and Barbie are half-siblings, we already knew that.

I think if they use Jack being "turned" into a bad guy, it would really boost the show. Ben is too weak of a character to be the "leader", and I'd like Jack to assume that role instead of bitchy/martyr role.

I'd like to see more Desmond and Old Locke (not poorly written Locke), and less of weakly written and acted characters like Kate. For some reason I just can't get into Sayid, I don't like the actor.

A few things about the show:

* I'm wondering if the patch guy is really dead.
* If Captain Patch set off the "alarm" fence by passing by, wouldn't that set off some type of alarm in the Others village? This could be why Jack looked so happy: they knew the Scooby Gang was coming and told him to get in line or else his friends would get killed. It just wouldn't make any sense that the Others didn't have scouts watching the fence or didn't know if the fence was set off.
* Claire looks hot as a goth chick.
* I find it fishy/unbelievable that the Unkempt Woman and the Crashers didn't know 99% of this islands landmarks by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #485
Easy Mac

I could see them not having scouts given what it was that was protecting them. Its a machine that kills someone who passes it. Its not really necessary to have someone watching the borders if they automatically die. Now granted, the Others are extremely paranoid, but just one explanation. Also, I don't think it's an alarm in the sense of conventional alarms. Its more like a deadly electric dog fence. Unless you're right there and hear it beeping, you generally have no idea the dog has broken the fence barrier.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #486
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I could see them not having scouts given what it was that was protecting them. Its a machine that kills someone who passes it. Its not really necessary to have someone watching the borders if they automatically die. Now granted, the Others are extremely paranoid, but just one explanation. Also, I don't think it's an alarm in the sense of conventional alarms. Its more like a deadly electric dog fence. Unless you're right there and hear it beeping, you generally have no idea the dog has broken the fence barrier.

But it sure was easy to climb over it
I'd guess they would have, or should have, thought of that. Especially since those things were like 2 feet tall.
Quote:
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #487
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Some thoughts:

1. Why didn't they just walk around to the "entrance" of the perimeter? Obviously the Others leave so there must be some type of entry control point...either that, or they shut it off every time someone wants to go out, but that wouldn't make any sense at all.

2. While I'm glad to see that Claire acknowledged the fact that Desmond saved her life, she's certainly a real bitch and this side of her was really on display this episode. She yells at the guy who saved her life. That's some gratitude.

3. So Locke took the C4. Good job there. I think that's going to play a role in the near future in the village.

All in all, it was neither a great episode nor a particularly poor episode. I agree that the flashbacks have become a schtick. If the flashback actually provides something, great. Otherwise, just show what's going on now.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #488
Raiders Army
Coordinator

One other thing, why not write on the note that you put on the bird "HELP! We're on an island that has a bunch of Hanso stuff on it! It's not deserted!"
Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #489
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
One other thing, why not write on the note that you put on the bird "HELP! We're on an island that has a bunch of Hanso stuff on it! It's not deserted!"

I dunno, I think the corny, cliche note is more effective. Think about it, you find a bird with that note, why WOULDN'T you want to rescue someone like that? You know, to beat the lame out of them.
Quote:
Old 03-16-2007, 01:31 AM   #490
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I think if they use Jack being "turned" into a bad guy, it would really boost the show. .

Now that would be a very interesting twist. Overall, the episode was good IMO. To be honest, I had totally forgotten that Jack was Claire's half brother.

So patches says that Ben is not the leader. Interesting.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #491
sabotai
General Manager

Jack becoming one of the bad guys might actually make him an interesting character.

And I want to bang goth-Claire.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #492
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, I guess this isn't very much of a keen insight, but the spoon-feeding seems pretty obvious to me at this point. Funny how the tattered book covers from the airplane's hatch just so happen to hand crutches out to those of us who haven't been able to piece it all together on their own. *shurg*

The "others" are pretty clearly being set up as some sort of utopian colony, presumably in the model used by Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged. It's been years since I read it, but I generally recall that the centerpiece of the book was that the "men of the mind" decide to go on strike against a society that doesn't properly reward excellence and achievement, and they run off to a remote colony to start life over for themselves. John Galt, Hank Reardon, and a variety of other captasins of industry and learned scientists and so forth all run off to some mountain paradise settlement where they each become tobacco farmers, ditch diggers, and so forth but get to presumably revel in their superiority and wait for the world to collapse without their able shoudlers to support it.

As we keep getting hints that the others don't consider themselves to be bad guys or evil, it all makes sense. They presumably see themselves as the salvation for society, as a sort of superior group, and are using that belief to justify whatever seemingly inhumane treatment they inflict on outsiders -- presumably they see confiscating certain people, especially children, from the apparent multitudes of other dwellers of this initally deserted island, would arguably be justifiable if they were selcting people to be shown the way to the better life that they are creating.

I guess it's one way to tie much of this together... and presumably, no doubt with a variety plot twists very carefully determined to shock and amaze us, this is what lies ahead.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-16-2007 at 10:10 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #493
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
carry on then sunshine.

Sawyer, is that you?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #494
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Locke: "Sorry".

Probably one of the best lines of the entire series.

Instant classic.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 AM   #495
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some thoughts:

1. Why didn't they just walk around to the "entrance" of the perimeter? Obviously the Others leave so there must be some type of entry control point...either that, or they shut it off every time someone wants to go out, but that wouldn't make any sense at all.

I would imagine underground tunnels.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #496
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Okay, I guess this isn't very much of a keen insight, but the spoon-feeding seems pretty obvious to me at this point. Funny how the tattered book covers from the airplane's hatch just so happen to hand crutches out to those of us who haven't been able to piece it all together on their own. *shurg*

The "others" are pretty clearly being set up as some sort of utopian colony, presumably in the model used by Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged. It's been years since I read it, but I generally recall that the centerpiece of the book was that the "men of the mind" decide to go on strike against a society that doesn't properly reward excellence and achievement, and they run off to a remote colony to start life over for themselves. Jonhn Galt, Hank Reardon, and a variety of other captasins of industry and learned scientists and so forth all run off to some mountain paradise settlement where they each become tobacco farmers, ditch diggers, and so forth but get to presumably revel in their superiority and wait for the world to collapse without their able shoudlers to support it.

As we keep getting hints that the others don't consider themselves to be bad guys or evil, it all makes sense. They presumably see themselves as the salvation for society, as a sort of superior group, and are using that belief to justify whatever seemingly inhumane treatment they inflict on outsiders -- presumably they see confiscating certain people, especially children, from the apparent multitudes of other dwellers of this initally deserted island, would arguably be justifiable if they were selcting people to be shown the way to the better life that they are creating.

I guess it's one way to tie much of this together... and presumably, no doubt with a variety plot twists very carefully determined to shock and amaze us, this is what lies ahead.

Those Others need to get the hell out of my gulch.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #497
thesloppy
Pro Starter

After the soap-opera like first half of season 3 lulled me to sleep, they've been steadily ratcheting the quality back up to where I'm as interested in this show now as I was at any point in the previous seasons. The last three episodes have been a marked improvement, and the return of some mystery and power to the John Locke character after teasing us with his recent (and apparently feigned) incompetence is such a welcome joy, for me personally.

And what a pleasant shock to finally get a real, solid answer to one of Lost's primary questions (Locke's paralysis). Terry Tate ain't got shit on Locke's dad.

Good stuff. Is everybody else enjoying this Lost renaissance of sorts, or is it too little too late?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #498
bob
College Starter

I think the show is as great as ever...

Spoiler

Last edited by bob : 03-22-2007 at 06:57 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #499
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Good stuff. Is everybody else enjoying this Lost renaissance of sorts, or is it too little too late?
Yeah, I've really enjoyed the last three episodes. Last night's was very solid.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #500
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think the show is as great as ever...

Spoiler

And as an aside, has this board always had this hidden spoiler capacity? I think this is the first time I've seen it used in 3 1/2 years.

Edit: okay, maybe I should occasionally look at the sticky threads at the top.

Last edited by Uncle Briggs : 03-22-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote