Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #451
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It was a fumble, and I don't think Holmes had both feet down. It was a strange, exciting game. My wife was rooting for the Cards, which was fun to watch.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #452
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe Obama will at least demand an explanation of why that call wasn't reviewed, lord knows that the increasingly shrill Michaels & Madden aren't going to question anything while doing their best imitation of Tony Schiavone. I'm really surprised they didn't call this the greatest Monday Nitro ever.

Nah...he wanted Pittsubrgh to win...that's why it went down the way it did. (that'll be my final conspiracy call for the night)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #453
rowech
Pro Starter

And there it is!!!!! Obama called in a favor for the Steelers to win. (okay...that was the last one)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #454
DanGarion
Coordinator

What's up with the Seahawks hat?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #455
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Nah...he wanted Pittsubrgh to win...that's why it went down the way it did. (that'll be my final conspiracy call for the night)

And he was the first to be thanked as well... Very interesting!
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #456
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"Steelers Football is 60 minutes.. and friendly referees"

(with the amount of bogus calls against the Cardinals tonight, you won't convince me otherwise)
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What's up with the Seahawks hat?

+1
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #458
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
"Steelers Football is 60 minutes.. and friendly referees"

(with the amount of bogus calls against the Cardinals tonight, you won't convince me otherwise)

I don't see how you could overturn that call. They should of reviewed it, but I don't see it changing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #459
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
That's how I saw it too. Looked like a pretty clear "empty hand" to me.

To me it looked like the hit from behind forced him to cup his hand and forced his arm in close to his body. Looking at it via TIVO he had full control of the ball when his arm first started moving forward, it was just in a jacked up position. He ended up shoving the ball forward. He had control when his arm first started moving forward, should have been a fumble.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #460
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't see how you could overturn that call. They should of reviewed it, but I don't see it changing.

The ball was still in his hand when it started forward. CLEARLY an incomplete pass.

Even if it was, it's a bullshit copout not to review it.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #461
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
To me it looked like the hit from behind forced him to cup his hand and forced his arm in close to his body. Looking at it via TIVO he had full control of the ball when his arm first started moving forward, it was just in a jacked up position. He ended up shoving the ball forward. He had control when his arm first started moving forward, should have been a fumble.

However, is it conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #462
DanGarion
Coordinator

Mr. Sak is probably drooling right this second from the Caddy commercial...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #463
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Maybe Obama will at least demand an explanation of why that call wasn't reviewed, lord knows that the increasingly shrill Michaels & Madden aren't going to question anything while doing their best imitation of Tony Schiavone. I'm really surprised they didn't call this the greatest Monday Nitro ever.

The most important night in sports entertainment history.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #464
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

+1
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #465
Atocep
Coordinator

The NFL has to be thrilled. Another great Super Bowl where the only thing that will be talked about is the officiating.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #466
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree whole heartedly, but even more so I think that to not want the head referee to at least have a second look is definitely an interesting decision.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #467
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Huh? I must be misunderstanding you. From your description, that sounds like it should have been an incomplete pass.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #468
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The ball was still in his hand when it started forward. CLEARLY an incomplete pass.

Even if it was, it's a bullshit copout not to review it.

It wasn't clear. It looked the ball was coming out just before the defensive player hit him and his arm started to move forward. Just look at the responses on the forum.

I do agree with you on the second part. The key is it has to be conclusive to overturn it. It was not.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-01-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And Bob Costas prevents me from being disappointed, he delivers the "one of the very best" line to complete the sports entertainment feel.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #470
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My commercials for the night

1) Hyundai - car of the year
2) Coke Zero - Mean Troy
3) Firestone - Mr Potato Head

For artistic merit: Coke - Bugs stealing coke

Will be liked by the ad meter but not very funny and overrated: Doritos

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #471
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

My main thing is, the D-player never hit the ball, just Warner's arm, and Warner still had control of the ball after the hit. So how does the ball go forward if Warner's not throwing it?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #472
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yup, true, it wasn't clear enough to overturn.

In the end, AZ losing is down to some awful defensive play on the drive before, when they had the Steelers against the wall.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #473
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This was one of the few Super Bowls that made me feel like I needed the oxygen tank after it.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #474
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I think Whisenhunt is very right though in that the end of the first half in a lot of ways was the difference maker. Not only does Pittsburgh get a score but Arizona was going to (likely) get at least 3 (maybe 7), so that was a huge scoreboard swing as they would've tied or even taken the lead.

I think what a couple posters have said regarding the last play is correct, I don't think it is conclusive enough to make the overturn.

All that being said, I'm off to enjoy the evening. Cards fans, great game by your team, and other Steelers fans, congrats!

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 02-01-2009 at 09:40 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #475
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yup, true, it wasn't clear enough to overturn.

In the end, AZ losing is down to some awful defensive play on the drive before, when they had the Steelers against the wall.

I think that was 1 factor, but I still think the biggest issue is that Arizona didn't come up with enough creative ways to get the ball to Fitzgerald earlier in the game. I still can't believe he only had 1 touch late in the 3rd quarter.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #476
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yup, agree with both PB and EF27.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #477
Thomkal
Head Coach

well as a biased Cards fan, I thought that was a fumble with Warner and Holmes had both feet down on the TD. On the fumble the announcers said something about a quick booth review, but that doesn't seem possible given the short time involved. Still since it was the Super Bowl for God's sake they should have taken the time to properly review it and make sure it was a fumble.

It's too bad they went with that second pass in the middle of the field to Hightower instead of a sidelines play. Clock would have stopped and they could catch their breath. But man it would have been a lot of fun to see if Fitzgerald could try to bring down a hail mary or two. It might have been the best catch in Super Bowl history if he did. Ah alas....
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #478
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Here are some screen captures. At his release point his hand was forced into a position where it was on top of the ball. His thumb and fingers maintained there position around the ball when it started coming forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warner1.jpg (22.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg warner2.jpg (14.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg warner3.jpg (18.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #479
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I don't think it is conclusive enough to make the overturn.

Of course if the ref doesn't blow something that obvious in the first place then no overturn would have been needed.

And honest to God, if anybody impartial can watch that and not consider it 100% clear that it was an incomplete pass then either my eyes are completely gone & I'm hallucinating to replace the missing visual stimulus or world truly has gone completely mad.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #480
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Here are some screen captures. At his release point his hand was forced into a position where it was on top of the ball. His thumb and fingers maintained there position around the ball when it started coming forward.

It doesn't matter. It's not conclusive.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #481
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Alas.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #482
Swaggs
Coordinator

Woot!

Although now I have to watch local crap coverage of the Yinzers celebrating, rather than an all new Office.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #483
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It doesn't matter. It's not conclusive.

WHAT ? No way in hell could he have had the ball hit while it was in his hand going back and his arm come forward WITH HIS HAND GRASPING THE BALL and it not be a forward pass !!!!! It was just a conclusive of Holmes right toe tipping the ground.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #484
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have not read any of this thread but I am willing to bet 2/3 of it deals with the horrible reffing. Just a guess.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #485
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Woot!

Although now I have to watch local crap coverage of the Yinzers celebrating, rather than an all new Office.

How do you not get the Office in North Carolina? The first few minutes have been hilarious. Had me laughing out loud more than any other episode so far.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #486
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Doesn't matter if the ball was in his hand, he has to have control of it. If it's just sitting on his hand as he pushes it forward, that's not a pass, it's a fumble.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #487
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have not read any of this thread but I am willing to bet 2/3 of it deals with the horrible reffing. Just a guess.

I wish. 2/3 of it dealt with all the crappy commercials that the alledged football fans HAD to keep commenting on.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #488
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
How do you not get the Office in North Carolina? The first few minutes have been hilarious. Had me laughing out loud more than any other episode so far.

Hell, I'm not a fan of the office and that intro was pretty funny. Then it started and I got bored.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-01-2009 at 09:49 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #489
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

You can not possible tell if his fingers maintained position when his fingers aren't even visible in the second screenshot.

And it looks to me like he doesn't have control of the ball in the second and third images.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #490
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously? If you're talking about the setting fire to the office bit I though that might have been one of the ten stupidest things I've ever seen on television and considering I grew up with Bill Tush doing live comedy on WTBS that's saying something.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #491
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I wish. 2/3 of it dealt with all the crappy commercials that the alledged football fans HAD to keep commenting on.

Hey, it's a Super Bowl thread and as usual the commercials were the most entertaining & engaging part of the telecast.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #492
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I moved back to Morgantown, WV a few months ago and we get all Pittsburgh news (about 70 miles South of Pittsburgh).

I forgot about updating my location.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #493
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously? If you're talking about the setting fire to the office bit I though that might have been one of the ten stupidest things I've ever seen on television and considering I grew up with Bill Tush doing live comedy on WTBS that's saying something.

Yes, the entire reaction was funny. Finding out Angela sneaks her cat into work and has it in a filing cabinet, the firecrackers hissing, Oscar climbing into the vent, etc. It was funny. This episode has had multiple great lines already too. But, I'll move that to the Office thread.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-01-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, the entire reaction was funny. Finding out Angela sneaks her cat into work and has it in a filing cabinet, the firecrackers hissing, Oscar climbing into the vent, etc. It was funny. This episode has had multiple great lines already too. But, I'll move that to the Office thread.

I'm a reasonably bright guy, I laugh at things from Dick Van Dyke pratfalls to Stephen Wright monologues to classic Britcoms but I belong firmly in the "rarely sees anything remotely funny about The Office" camp.

Didn't think much of Seinfeld 90% of the time either, maybe there's some connection there, I don't know. {shrug}
Old 02-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #495
Logan
Head Coach

Jon, I thought the same on the Holmes catch, but there was a shot they showed from straight on that showed his left toe hitting the ground.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #496
Swaggs
Coordinator

My wife had it set to Tivo, from the WV NBC affiliate, in the bedroom, so I'll get to watch it tomorrow.

Also, just had to painfully witness a Big Ben commercial for a local car dealership.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #497
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Lamar Woodley, with 2 sacks, has 4 straight postseason games with multiple sacks-- last season vs JAX, this year vs SD, BAL and ARI.

edit to add-- all the bitching about the officiating, I've not read the whole thread, but I hope there are complaints about Woodley getting held. He could have had 5 sacks. Even when they were only rushing 3, he was close, and Levi Brown is wrapping him up.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 02-01-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #498
Swaggs
Coordinator

And, as if his his life was not going well enough, Tomlin also has a beautiful wife.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #499
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

QFT (as well as the hilarity of Dwight sitting in front of Wallace). But it is for The Office thread.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #500
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Jon, I thought the same on the Holmes catch, but there was a shot they showed from straight on that showed his left toe hitting the ground.

When the play actually happened, I did not think Holmes was anywhere near landing in-bounds either. But, after seeing the reviews, I think he was pretty clearly in possession with both feet down.

I can understand being upset about the fumble at the end of the game. I thought it was a pass attempt at full speed and was leaning towards thinking it was a fumble after the quick replay, but would have understood them calling it a pass.