Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #451
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
we just had a big training on the TouchPad the other day. The HP guy was super enthusiastic about the WebOS and how it was going to allow them to together their tablets, smartphones and their PCs. I have to say, I was pretty impressed by the unit and was thinking I might pick up one instead of an iPad.

I really liked the TouchPad myself; seemed like a very competant tablet and I thought WebOS looked very nice .... development on it was C++ based and I was hoping it'd make enough of a niche that one day I'd get to play around on it ... oh well.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #452
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

HP kills TouchPad, looks to exit PC business

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technol ... /index.htm
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #453
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Holy sportsdigs Lance Bass
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #454
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

RIP WebOS. Great operating system. Poor management.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #455
Subby
lolzcat

Good riddance. Hopefully Dell is next.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #456
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hopefully they clear them out for cheap, cause I'd probably buy one. HP is supposedly killing/selling their computer division as well

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/l...n-sale-for-99/
I'm going to be checking late tonight, maybe even early tomorrow.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #457
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I tried to order 2 via HP EPP last night and we'll see if they go through. There's a huge blitz for them right now as every single site that has them at $99/$149 sells out instantly. HP, WalMart, Amazon, Office Depot, and Microcenter all sold out in a few minutes.

Now, I know a lot of this traffic is by resellers looking to make a quick buck on ebay. Seems foolish to me because if someone is dead set on an iPad or Xoom or whatever, why would they buy a dying piece of hardware from ebay even for $200?

That said, it seems like there was a pent up demand for these *if they were at the right price point*. I know if they had come out at $200, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it and I would have had one. But when you price it up at the same price as an iPad and you don't have an installed user base, what do you expect?

It reminds me of how Microsoft said "yeah, we're looking to go into another line of business" and created the XBox. They lost about $5B the first generation and accepted that. Why? Because they knew it would make them a major player going forward. They're profitable this generation and if they came out with an XBox, I dunno, 480 tomorrow- they would turn a profit again.

If HP were really serious, they would accept losing money up front to break into the market. They're flush with cash right now and this would be a good way to try to build a great future product line.

Instead, we have the scene of every closing store where it's just a bit pathetic and a bit tragic and, ultimately, someone made some stupid decisions to get us all here.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-20-2011 at 07:25 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #458
Edward64
Head Coach

Eagerly awaiting. Hope it really is "early 2012".

Apple Aims For IPad 3 Launch In 2012 | FoxNews.com

Quote:
TAIPEI – Apple is working with component suppliers and its assembler in Asia to begin trial production of its next generation iPad in October, DJ Newswires reported Friday, citing people familiar with the situation.

The Cupertino, Calif., company has ordered key components such as display panels and chips for a new iPad it is aiming to launch in early 2012, said the people.

The next generation iPad is expected to feature a high resolution display -- 2048 by 1536 compared with 1024 by 768 in the iPad 2 -- and Apple's suppliers have already shipped small quantities of components for the sampling of the iPad 3. Suppliers said Apple has placed orders for a 9.7-inch (24.6-cm) screen device.

One component supplier to Apple said the company has already placed orders for parts for about 1.5 million iPad 3s in the fourth quarter.
"Suppliers will ramp up production and try to improve the yield rate for the new iPad in the fourth quarter before its official launch in early 2012," said a person at the supplier.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #459
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I have to say it would be highly unusual for the iPad 3 to be launched in January or February - normally they would want to time it for Christmas.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #460
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have to say it would be highly unusual for the iPad 3 to be launched in January or February - normally they would want to time it for Christmas.

Apple really hasn't followed that model.

For instance, they Ipad 2 came out in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #461
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nintendo doesn't either- their handhelds keep launching in Spring, iirc. That way Christmas is about the time you're ready for your first price drop or holding steady if there's still big demand.

SI

Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #462
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm wondering if they will Woot amazon's Touchpad supply. Amazon still hadn't dropped price earlier this afternoon.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #463
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Apple really hasn't followed that model.

For instance, they Ipad 2 came out in March.

That is a valid point - and I realized after I posted it that one of the reasons they don't is that they usually have such pressure on their supply that it takes several months to even out.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #464
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm wondering if they will Woot amazon's Touchpad supply. Amazon still hadn't dropped price earlier this afternoon.

If you buy it at full price on Amazon, they will issue you a $300 refund for the difference. It's showing out of stock right now, though. Best Buy is also selling them for $100 if you can find a store that still has them in stock.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #465
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

LOL
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #466
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Amazon.com: FB454UT Smartbuy TouchPad QUALCOMM Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless 9.7" IPS TFT 1GB RAM 16GB: Electronics

Just bought it off that link for $99 from Onsale (which seems to have many favorable reviews).

Hope it works out..
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #467
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Amazon.com: FB454UT Smartbuy TouchPad QUALCOMM Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless 9.7" IPS TFT 1GB RAM 16GB: Electronics

Just bought it off that link for $99 from Onsale (which seems to have many favorable reviews).

Hope it works out..

What's your status? I ordered two and still says Shipping Soon. I'm not going to worry yet as I am sure they got slammed, but I did pay for overnight shipping...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #468
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we had a small amount (1500 or so) on Monday, which sold out in less than two hours. It was absolute chaos though - our phone lines were jammed, our website was hammered and even a lot of our internal apps were affected. And it's no fly-by-night place - they have an infrastructure to handle large volumes of calls and stuff (we do huge volume of iPads, for example). and oh boy, the irates people who missed out on the deal? holy schmoly.

thankfully, I had to deal with none of that, but it was amazing to observe
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #469
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh and I didn't buy one. would have, but money is a little tight at the moment. kind of bummed, but I think I'll live
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #470
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I investigated and I think they made an error on their end with the quantity posted on Amazon. Im pretty sure Im not getting my two. Not sure how it takes 3+ days to cancel my order and give me my $250+ back, though.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #471
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The SD'ers of the world just descended on this deal like locusts. They had over 50K posts in combined TouchPad threads last I checked yesterday. Then again, if all hoarders on SlickDeals were sterilized, the world would probably be a better place *sigh*- that's pretty much unfettered capitalism at it's "finest"

SI

Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #472
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea. The hoarders fucking piss me off. I love the people posting them on eBay for $250+. No way that shit should, or hopefully it won't, sell for that much. Would be better if some magical way those people didn't break even. Or at least make such a small amount that it is a waste of time for them.

EDIT: I guess there is a such thing as too much profanity.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-23-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #473
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My brother and I agreed this was the white dude version of the 23 cent Papa John's pizza.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #474
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I was lucky enough to time it right and get one from tigerdirect, it should be here thursday- shipped this morning. The hoarders drive me crazy, and I'm lucky I got one. Only one, that's all I need.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #475
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What's the point of getting one though?

Not trying to be snippy, honestly curious. I don't think there'll be many apps developed for it, right?

Is it the assumption that they'll be able to be somehow flashed and installed with Android or something?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #476
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Not trying to be snippy, honestly curious. I don't think there'll be many apps developed for it, right?

Is it the assumption that they'll be able to be somehow flashed and installed with Android or something?

That's part of it. Another, I think tablets are cool in a way, but not $499 cool. But I am more then to happy to pay $100 for a device I can browse the web from couch, take on a plane and watch movies, etc. With that many tablets being released as well the "homebrew" community could get very interesting as well.. I believe the kindle app works on it as well.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-23-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #477
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola-

I will say one thing. Before this was a hundred dollars tablets were not on my radar at all. Now that I got excited about the touchpad, and possibly missed out on it, I have found myself looking at the Asus Eee Pad Transformer. So I guess the tablet industry may benefit from this...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #478
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Logmein Ignition is half price right now(15 bucks).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #479
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Like Scoobz said, it's a very cool device- not something I could justify spending ~$500 for, but for $100 it'll be great to browse the internet, watch youtube, and movies from. If there are some fun games- that's great but mostly I'll be using it to browse the internet. If they do somehow get it to run android (which I read somewhere that there is a group already working on this) then that'll be even better, but for $100 if it never runs android and is only an internet browser / video player I still feel like it's a good deal.

In a few years when I finish paying off student loans and have some extra cash then I could maybe justify buying a better tablet, but for now- this will do exactly what I'm looking for, and cheap.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #480
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Logmein Ignition is half price right now(15 bucks).

Splashtop Desktop does basically the same thing and is much, much cheaper. Sometimes it goes on sale for $1.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #481
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Like Scoobz said, it's a very cool device- not something I could justify spending ~$500 for, but for $100 it'll be great to browse the internet, watch youtube, and movies from. If there are some fun games- that's great but mostly I'll be using it to browse the internet. If they do somehow get it to run android (which I read somewhere that there is a group already working on this) then that'll be even better, but for $100 if it never runs android and is only an internet browser / video player I still feel like it's a good deal.

In a few years when I finish paying off student loans and have some extra cash then I could maybe justify buying a better tablet, but for now- this will do exactly what I'm looking for, and cheap.

Makes sense then. Gotcha.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #482
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a tablet. Would you guys recommend waiting for the next iPad to drop?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #483
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Just read on CNN breaking news that Steve Jobs resigned. Health related I'm sure?

What does this mean for Apple?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #484
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Just read on CNN breaking news that Steve Jobs resigned. Health related I'm sure?

What does this mean for Apple?

I'm not seeing it. False alarm or hack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #485
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Steve Jobs Resigns as CEO of Apple - Yahoo! Finance
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #486
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I'm not seeing it. False alarm or hack?

Finally found the ... two sentence ... article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #487
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

CUPERTINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Apple’s Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple’s Chief Operating Officer, as the company’s new CEO. Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

“Steve’s extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world’s most innovative and valuable technology company,” said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board. “Steve has made countless contributions to Apple’s success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple’s immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration.”

“The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO,” added Levinson. “Tim’s 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does.”

Jobs submitted his resignation to the Board today and strongly recommended that the Board implement its succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO.

As COO, Cook was previously responsible for all of the company’s worldwide sales and operations, including end-to-end management of Apple’s supply chain, sales activities, and service and support in all markets and countries. He also headed Apple’s Macintosh division and played a key role in the continued development of strategic reseller and supplier relationships, ensuring flexibility in response to an increasingly demanding marketplace.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced iPad 2 which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple’s PR website (Apple - Page Not Found, or call Apple’s Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.

© 2011 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #488
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Finally found the ... two sentence ... article.

ORLY?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #489
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a tablet. Would you guys recommend waiting for the next iPad to drop?

I'd get the 2 as it is the perfect companion for sunday football. You can always flip it when the 3 comes out. Apple stuff keeps its value.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #490
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE: Letter from Steve Jobs
August 24, 2011–To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:
I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.
I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.
As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.
I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.
I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Am I the only one that reads that of a dying man? Or am I just being extremely negative?

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-24-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #491
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Am I the only one that reads that of a dying man? Or am I just being extremely negative?

I'm assuming 3-6 months.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #492
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What's your status? I ordered two and still says Shipping Soon. I'm not going to worry yet as I am sure they got slammed, but I did pay for overnight shipping...

Just got my confirmation email that my HPTouch was shipped today. That sound was me breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #493
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It definitely reads as something health-related. Whether he is terminal or not, who knows, but clearly something is up where he feels like he can no longer effectively run the company. Easy speculation would be that he's had a recurrence of cancer.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #494
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Just got my confirmation email that my HPTouch was shipped today. That sound was me breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Mine was canceled today. On other forums I see people posting times they ordered, and theirs being canceled, while people who ordered a half hour later getting theirs shipped.

Whatever.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 08-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #495
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm thinking he'll be dead before the end of the year.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #496
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Saw this today on how the Apple stores compare to other US retailers that also reveal their finances. Not too surprising I guess but pretty wild to see how far ahead they are in sales per square foot.

Last edited by Peregrine : 08-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #497
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, that's kindof a bizarro metric. You can also go get Apple products in at least a couple of other stores on that list (BB, Costco?, Sams?)

SI

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #498
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'd get the 2 as it is the perfect companion for sunday football. You can always flip it when the 3 comes out. Apple stuff keeps its value.
That's what I'm thinking. I just don't want to buy it and have the new one come out the next day.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #499
Easy Mac

Quote:
Mine was canceled today. On other forums I see people posting times they ordered, and theirs being canceled, while people who ordered a half hour later getting theirs shipped.

Whatever.

Grabbed one at Best Buy yesterday at lunch. I have a Palm Pre Plus, so I know what to expect from it.

my main reasons were movies for the kid for the car (same price as a portable dvd player), kindle books (same price as the kindle), angry birds in HD (free), internet browsing from the couch/toilet (better than my iPod touch), music anywhere in the house (pandora/slacker/spotify/my music speakers are pretty good on it), slight possibility of android.

Plus the cheapo Android e-reader I have that "doubles" as a tablet keeps randomly killing itself.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #500
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In case anyone is interested:

PlaybookFootball - Animated Football Playbook for the iPad | Animated Sports Playbooks for iPad/iPhone