Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #451
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

TBH, I hated soccer. Never gave it a second thought. The rave reviews on this board and my stat-sim geekiness dictated that I give it a shot. WSUCougar sent me an old CD of WWSM 05 and I was hooked. Hell, I even watch the EPL on the weekend now.

Great games trancend personal preferences - FM is way way better than a great game.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #452
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
TBH, I hated soccer. Never gave it a second thought. The rave reviews on this board and my stat-sim geekiness dictated that I give it a shot. WSUCougar sent me an old CD of WWSM 05 and I was hooked. Hell, I even watch the EPL on the weekend now.

Great games trancend personal preferences - FM is way way better than a great game.

I can echo this almost exactly. Can't remember if it was CM 02/03 exactly, but I was hooked as well. I also now watch the EPL and some Serie A, and I'm even playing in an indoor co-ed league.

One of the things that has intrigued me the most is the whole English Football Pyramid. I think its just a great system.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #453
Super Ugly
High School JV

Damn you people. I've never been a fan of football/soccer, but after reading some of the posts in this thread, I decided to give this game a whirl. 145 hours later, and I can't stop playing. In my fourth season, I've taken Bishop's Stortford (my local club in real life) from the Blue Square Bet South, all the way into the npower League 2. I don't think this game will ever convert me into a real-life football fan, but it's certainly given me a new-found appreciation for what 'text sims' can do. All I need now is for a developer to put out an a game that does the same for the NFL, and I'll never leave my house again.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #454
TroyF
Coordinator

It took me multiple tries to get into it. The first two I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I read through guides, tried to learn what I was doing and couldn't get into it. I stayed with it and the third time I tried I became hooked. Due to traveling and not being able to play the XBox or PS3 as much as I want, I play FM more than any other game every year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #455
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly View Post
I don't think this game will ever convert me into a real-life football fan,
Muhahaha .... how innocent they are .... we'll drag you into our little world yet

More seriously I do think that FM can give people a better appreciation of real-world football and because of that often people do find they start to watch and enjoy matches irl more often - I'd especially recommend if you've never played the game yourself that you have a kick around, firstly because its a truly fun sport to play and its a very social/friendly atmosphere if you find a decent league ... but secondly because you get a real appreciation for how skillful the professional players are.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #456
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

FM isn't a game. Its a way of life.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #457
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

This +1
Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #458
Flasch186
Coordinator

I hate you MV.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #459
Flasch186
Coordinator

and damn you for putting an hours counter in the game to throw in my face how many hours I've spent on this game.... or is RL the game and the hours in FM is where I should be?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #460
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

No shit. That's why I refuse to ever buy FH handheld. If I had that I'd never even contemplate being productive.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #461
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Just had my best game ever. My BSN AFC Telford squad beat League 1 Notts Co. 5-0 in an FA Cup match. Then Paul Ince had the nerve to tell the press I didn't know how to coach!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #462
dolfin
High School JV

That's awesome! I'm still waiting for a decent game. I'm struggling mightily with my League 1 Dag & Red squad. I get excited just for draws. Pretty sure I'm going down!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #463
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
and damn you for putting an hours counter in the game to throw in my face how many hours I've spent on this game.... or is RL the game and the hours in FM is where I should be?

I try and downplay my insane hours count by telling myself that "well sometimes I leave the game open but am not playing while I surf the Internet or do other things."
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #464
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I try and downplay my insane hours count by telling myself that "well sometimes I leave the game open but am not playing while I surf the Internet or do other things."

+1

"Im sure I leave it on overnight while I sleep, thats it"
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #465
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You can get the Steam version of the game for $19.99 here: Download PC Games - Get Games

I pulled the trigger on it yesterday. Haven't started playing yet. Not quite ready to turn my life over to it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #466
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is there a chart anywhere listing costs for various levels of facilities upgrades?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #467
samifan24
Pro Starter

When my staff informs me that our next opponent "struggles against teams with a similar reputation to our own," what am I supposed to do with that information? All of the other tactical suggestions make sense to me but this one.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #468
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

just signed a guy to a $45/wk full time contract. I feel like a plantation owner.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #469
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
When my staff informs me that our next opponent "struggles against teams with a similar reputation to our own," what am I supposed to do with that information? All of the other tactical suggestions make sense to me but this one.

take advantage of it and play more attacking/pressure them more?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #470
dolfin
High School JV

From ESPNs Gamecast...

Quote:
31'
It appears Bale might have tweaked his back during that attack. If this was a game on Football Manager, Redknapp would probably be looking to quit and restart the game.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #471
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
From ESPNs Gamecast...

That's so frigging awesome.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #472
Warhammer
Pro Starter

How does managing a national team play? I've been offered a couple of jobs, Guatemala and Brazil, but turned them down since I wasn't sure what the ramifications of accepting were.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #473
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
How does managing a national team play? I've been offered a couple of jobs, Guatemala and Brazil, but turned them down since I wasn't sure what the ramifications of accepting were.

You can run a club team and national team at the same time. Doesn't matter. Just means more work. National team selection, friendlies (I just let my AM take care of those) and such alike. You're just managing two teams instead of one.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #474
Karim
College Starter

After qualifying to Blue Square Premier with my lowly Wealdstone squad, we end up winning the Premier in our first season and qualifying for league football. The Board turned professional and said everyone needs to move to full-time contracts. Unfortunately, my $575k budget is maxed and I still have several key players on part-time contracts.

What are the ramifications of playing with part-time players as a professional team? I suspect I'll get unhappy players or the board will come calling.

I'm going to have to dump some players that were great in getting me this far and consequently sacrifice my depth and chances of success, really a catch-22.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #475
Karim
College Starter

Ok, another question.

Can players decline at age 24? My consistent central defender who is an icon or legend for the club and has been central to getting me to League 2 is seeing his attributes decline. He still is playing at just over a 7 average per game but my assman is reporting his decline too.

I just signed an 18 year old Premiership reject who I'm targetting as his replacement but I'm hesitant about what the board and fans will say about off-loading such a popular player that has been so good for the club.

FWIW, he's on a part-time contract because he's simply demanding too much at full-time and I'm still evaluating whether he really can play at this level or not.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #476
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You're now playing at a level where he's not talented enough to play on talent alone.. Part Time just doesn't cut it..
Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #477
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I will say, one thing that drives me nuts from a "realism" perspective is how quickly stars decline in FM - one year he's playing for Man U, and by year's end he's not good enough for a division 2 team? Ie, there are plently of 34/35 year olds that play regulary for the top teams because the teams value their experience (Giggs / Scholes ). Is this just the case of a computer manager being obsessed with the physical stats (my scouts keep recommending strikers who can run like the wind but do nothing else) as opposed to all else?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #478
Flasch186
Coordinator

The worldwide manager dumping is occurring in the game. My inbox is filled with the craziness. Hope its fixed soon.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #479
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Fast-forward to about 4:20
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #480
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I decided to try a lower league in Sweden for a change of pace, and it is quite a change of pace.

First, the AssMan Individual instructions button is always grayed out. I have an AM and four coaches, so that is not the issue. They exist, but they are lousy. I've gotten ONE pre-game suggestion from the coaches in the first eleven games of the season regarding individual instructions.

Second, we are mid-table with random result games. Other teams score flukes or penalties against us, while we miss open nets and never catch a break. Then the under-performing, goal-drought players get hurt for 2+ months. Immediately they come into my office and complain that we are under-performing. Well get back in shape and put the ball in that gaping maw between the pipes, assholes.

Anyway, that is an annoying bit of fluff.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #481
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn it. I got a new computer and FM 11 keeps freezing while setting up the game database. I've looked around and I can't find any solutions. I've tried a reinstall and it still happens.

Does anybody have an idea?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #482
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Fast-forward to about 4:20

Good stuff!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #483
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Had an interesting situation with the new game I started the other day. I allowed the game to pick a team for me and ended up at Unterhaching in the German Third Division. I sent out my scouts to look for talent and they came back and recommended a free transfer named Marcel Schuon. He looked like he might be able to help us out a bit so started looking at his details. Apparently, he was under a global ban until 8/31/2012. A suspension for two years? What could this guy have possibly done? Turns out he was involved in a Europe-wide betting scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Eu...etting_scandal).
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #484
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Lots of annoying little things popping up in my Nantes save:

1. After I make a sub order, the game often runs the 'Changes' message, but does not put my sub(s) in until several minutes later, during which time the opposition frequently scores. then the subs go in.

2. The players on the field have begun to disappear. the TV camera moves around like it is following the ball, and there are messages at the bottom, but no player sprites. Neither team has ever scored when this happens.

3. Last game, I scored 'with suspicion of a handball'. With a minute to play, the other team is awarded a penalty kick, and makes it for a draw. After the game, the game report for the ref gives him a '4' with the comment the blackest mark was for calling a penalty late in the game. After the game, not only no press conference for me, but the other coach feels aggrieved his team was denied a victory because of the handball incident. No mention of the late penalty and how it was the worst call.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #485
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to Miles, Marc etcetera.

The Sports Interactive sponsored team (AFC Wimbledon) won today 4-3 on penalties over Luton in the Blue Square Premier playoff final.

That means in the nine years since the club has been founded, they have earned FIVE promotions.

edit: Apparently Miles and a few other SI guys got to watch the game from the director's box at the City of Manchester Stadium (heated chairs, etcetera).. normally the final would be at Wembley but UEFA requires two weeks of downtime for any stadium before the Champions League final, to make sure the field is perfect.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #486
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

They should have a winning team, they know all the code behind it...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #487
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Lots of annoying little things popping up in my Nantes save:

1. After I make a sub order, the game often runs the 'Changes' message, but does not put my sub(s) in until several minutes later, during which time the opposition frequently scores. then the subs go in.

2. The players on the field have begun to disappear. the TV camera moves around like it is following the ball, and there are messages at the bottom, but no player sprites. Neither team has ever scored when this happens.

3. Last game, I scored 'with suspicion of a handball'. With a minute to play, the other team is awarded a penalty kick, and makes it for a draw. After the game, the game report for the ref gives him a '4' with the comment the blackest mark was for calling a penalty late in the game. After the game, not only no press conference for me, but the other coach feels aggrieved his team was denied a victory because of the handball incident. No mention of the late penalty and how it was the worst call.

1) This is supposed to happen. You have to wait for the next available opportunity for the subs to go in, it's not instantaneous.

2) This happens to me from time to time. I find that if I go in like I'm going to make a tactical change and then do nothing and confirm my no-changes when it sends me back out to the match screen it's fixed.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #488
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

What are the essential mods for FM 11 to get it up-to-date with realistic teams, players, leagues, awards, etc.? I know next to nothing about soccer, but am willing to give the game a go if it wont take me 50 hours just to setup my universe!

Also, any of the "I don't watch soccer...should I get this game" advice is welcomed too. Are there any killer bugs, etc.?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #489
Shepp
High School Varsity

The links to most of the addons that you would want are on the second post of the first page made by Soverignstar. If you want a different skin for your UI, most of the big ones are on the skinning area of the SI website.

If you don't know anything about soccer it would probably do you some good to download the "Tactical Theorums & Frameworks" I think there is a link in this thread somewhere but if you do a Google search it shouldn't be too hard to find. The last version of for FM 2010 but the tactical advise is still good for this version.

If you haven't bought the game yet it may be worth your while to download the demo first. From my personal experience I wouldn't plan on just jumping into a game and picking it up right away. The new way tactics are handled, which was intruduced last year, will probably make figuring out what to do easier than versions past but there is still alot to digest for someone new to the game.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #490
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
What are the essential mods for FM 11 to get it up-to-date with realistic teams, players, leagues, awards, etc.? I know next to nothing about soccer, but am willing to give the game a go if it wont take me 50 hours just to setup my universe!

With the latest patch, the teams should be up to date as of the last transfer window.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #491
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
With the latest patch, the teams should be up to date as of the last transfer window.

Except for the German national team.

The "real team/competition names" link from sovereignstar's post should be all that's needed, I think.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #492
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
1) This is supposed to happen. You have to wait for the next available opportunity for the subs to go in, it's not instantaneous.

2) This happens to me from time to time. I find that if I go in like I'm going to make a tactical change and then do nothing and confirm my no-changes when it sends me back out to the match screen it's fixed.

My biggest gripe was never the delay between sub decisions and them going in. It was always how frequently the opposition would score in between making the decision and seeing them go in. Got to where what I do now is wait for a play-by-play segment to end, pause the game, make the switch, then run it again. I don't see nearly as many of those 'hey, you, you're going i--AW HORSESHIT' moments anymore.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #493
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

On 1, I understand your point, however, the other team is making changes, often subs, why don't mine go in, too?

I tried 2) and works for me, too. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #494
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On 1, I understand your point, however, the other team is making changes, often subs, why don't mine go in, too?

I tried 2) and works for me, too. Thanks.

I think you just have to take my word, or the program's word for it that the CPU team is "selecting their subs" before the dead ball situations where they go in/take effect, just like yours are.

Or are you referring to the substitution rules for soccer, as far as what plays you can sub on?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #495
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My biggest gripe was never the delay between sub decisions and them going in. It was always how frequently the opposition would score in between making the decision and seeing them go in. Got to where what I do now is wait for a play-by-play segment to end, pause the game, make the switch, then run it again. I don't see nearly as many of those 'hey, you, you're going i--AW HORSESHIT' moments anymore.

I've been trying that, too. All it does is postpone the wait for the other team to score. Same stuff happens.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #496
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think you just have to take my word, or the program's word for it that the CPU team is "selecting their subs" before the dead ball situations where they go in/take effect, just like yours are.

Or are you referring to the substitution rules for soccer, as far as what plays you can sub on?

What happens is that I make subs, restart the game. Instantly the "Making Changes' message goes across the bottom of the screen. I haven't made any tactical changes or new shouts. Also, there are sometimes periods of nothing happening while the game clock counts off 20-30 seconds in both game time and real time. No subs go in for me. the game goes on, the other team scores, THEN my subs come on. The game can go on for several minutes of game time before the score.

It seems like the game script is already written and the screen hasn't caught up to the state of the game, for whatever reason. Why it lets me stop the game is what I can't fathom--since the script is already written and unfolding.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #497
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If I understand you correctly, I believe it does that so the game can determine what is considered "key" moments to play for when that option is selected.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #498
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
What happens is that I make subs, restart the game. Instantly the "Making Changes' message goes across the bottom of the screen. I haven't made any tactical changes or new shouts. Also, there are sometimes periods of nothing happening while the game clock counts off 20-30 seconds in both game time and real time. No subs go in for me. the game goes on, the other team scores, THEN my subs come on. The game can go on for several minutes of game time before the score.

Ok to try and explain what happens in the game - the script is not written in advance.

However in soccer you can only make substitutions when the ball goes out of play; this means you'll sometimes see managers tell a substitution to be made but then have the player waiting on the sideline to come on until there is a 'break' in play and he's able to come on and the other player leave the pitch.

This does mean very rarely you'll get some 'freaky' occurances like you'll setup a substitution and then the player you were taking off gets himself red-carded and thus effectively cancels your decision for you ...

From the wikipedia rules section on subs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substit...ation_football)
Quote:
A player may only be substituted during a stoppage in play and with the permission of the referee. The player to be substituted (outgoing player) must have left the field of play before the substitute (incoming player) may enter the field of play; at that point the substitute becomes a player and the person substituted ceases to be a player. The incoming player may only enter the field at the half-way line. Failure to comply with these provisions may be punished by a caution (yellow card).

The reason the 'making changes' appears is that the game effectively updates the match engine with your decision to signal for a subsitution and the engine then plays 'forward' to determine when that player will enter the pitch or the next 'interesting' action get determined ... its all perfectly legit and above board (if you want I can explain further how the match engine works, but I'd prefer to avoid getting 'too geeky' if possible )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-22-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #499
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Anybody know how to create a promotion playoff that works like this:

I have the Third Division of my custom American league split into three regional divisions. I would like the champions of those divisions to be promoted to the Second Division, along with the winner of a playoff (maybe a mini-league, each runner-up playing the other two home and away) among the three second place teams, making four teams promoted in all.

But the editor tells me I must have a number of promoted teams that is divisible by three and I can't figure out how to setup this playoff. I think it is possible from what I have read on the SI forums, though I can't find the specifics.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #500
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Mark, thanks for the 'Making Changes' explanation. That makes sense.