Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #451
Logan
Head Coach

Sad news.

Quote:
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyCBS

West Virginia announces former football coach Bill Stewart has died this afternoon from an apparent heart attack
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #452
Atocep
Coordinator

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #453
Swaggs
Coordinator

Really sad news.

Had a high school-aged son still at home, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #454
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #455
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is this a promotion for Pep Hamilton?

Quote:
Through an anonymous donation, Stanford has ensured that former quarterback Andrew Luck's legacy will live on at the university by endowing Luck's name to the offensive coordinator position.

The position will now be formally known as the Andrew Luck Director of Offense.

"It is a huge tribute," Luck said in a statement issued by Stanford. "To have anything endowed in my name is a complete honor. I feel very fortunate to have come to Stanford, and I have always enjoyed representing the university. The offensive coordinators I've had here helped me not only in football, but also to grow so much as a person. To be a part of that leadership and position is a very proud legacy for me."

Pep Hamilton is Stanford's offensive coordinator. He replaced David Shaw, who was named coach following Jim Harbaugh's departure to the NFL.

"It is a tremendous honor to hold this position and to be associated with an outstanding young man like Andrew Luck, who means so much to Stanford football and the Stanford community," Hamilton said. "I will do everything in my power to proudly continue the tradition of creative and exciting offensive football at Stanford."

Most head coaching positions at private schools are endowed. For example, at Stanford, Shaw's position is endowed and is known as the Bradford M. Freeman Director of Football. Also, all 85 Stanford football scholarships are endowed.

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts in last month's NFL draft, helped turn around a Stanford program that had recorded seven straight losing seasons before he took over the offense in 2009. He quarterbacked the Cardinal to a 31-7 record in his 38 career starts, missing only the 2009 Sun Bowl due to injury. He also helped the Cardinal to a 24-5 conference record and an 8-3 mark against Top 25 opponents.

Luck has twice been runner-up for the Heisman Trophy and twice been named the Pac-12's Offensive Player of the Year. As a fourth-year junior, Luck earned Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year honors, the Maxwell Trophy as the nation's top player and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Trophy. As a third-year sophomore, he received the Archie Griffin Award as college football's Most Valuable Player and was named the Orange Bowl MVP.

"I am very pleased that Andrew Luck's name will be perpetually tied to the Director of Offense position at Stanford," said Shaw. "Because of his great play on the field, his intellect and his great relationships with the coaching staff, Andrew allowed us to do so much on offense the last three years at Stanford. He set the bar high for himself, for every quarterback who comes to Stanford, and for our performance on offense."

So any ideas who the anonymous donor was and are they saying that Luck was the OC while he was there?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #456
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

There is smoke in Clemson.
BOT meeting held last night, that no one will talk about what was discussed. SO much so that my friend texted me and said, "dont call. I cant. not until 6/1. Remember though where TDP was before he came here"

No clue what to make of that.
But TDP=Terry Don Phillips - the AD at Clemson and former AD at OkSt.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #457
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd feel more confident this was going to happen from the FSU PoV if I had any confidence that the AD wasn't in over his head. Or the President, for that matter. Not much leadership there. But maybe these issues are so obvious that it doesn't matter and gets done.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #458
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW Id say FSU's odds of playing in a football conference other than the ACC in 2014 is 80+% from what I'm hearing.

Id put Clemson's closer to 65-70%
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #459
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I still say that if FSU hadn't let Bobby Bowden hang on too long and take the program down a step, the ACC would be a much hotter football property and they'd have the TV contract they all seem to wanted.

Or if Clemson hadn't lost key games every time they looked on the verge of breaking into the upper echelon.

Or if Miami's program hadn't decided to take a nosedive.

But mostly I love FSU whining about stuff that they had a hand in preventing. I still don't see how moving over to be second-fiddle to Texas is any better than what they have now in the ACC.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #460
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I still say that if FSU hadn't let Bobby Bowden hang on too long and take the program down a step, the ACC would be a much hotter football property and they'd have the TV contract they all seem to wanted.

Or if Clemson hadn't lost key games every time they looked on the verge of breaking into the upper echelon.

But mostly I love FSU whining about stuff that they had a hand in preventing. I still don't see how moving over to be second-fiddle to Texas is any better than what they have now in the ACC.

At least Texas has a fiddle.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #461
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Since 2000, Alabama has won 3 games once, 4 games once, 6 games twice, 7 games once and 8 games once. Tennessee has gone 5,7,6 and 5 wins in the last four years. The SEC survived. Even prospered. Obviously the ACC can't handle a lesser fate from Florida State.

Schools have downturns in football. Part of the reason for being in a conference along with scheduling is to level the money out in your down years. If FSU was somehow able to guarantee being a top 10 team every year, they'd be an independent because there's no reason to share the money with Duke and BC. If that's what they have to do for the ACC to get a competitive football TV contract, they're better off playing "second fiddle" in a conference that has teams step up and play on a national level when they can't for whatever reason.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #462
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
At least Texas has a fiddle.

It's also their tune, their dance, etc. FSU may want that second fiddle for now, but Texas will let them and every other Big 12 member know it. Texas knows full well that they are the Big 12 and that won't change if FSU or Clemson came over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Since 2000, Alabama has won 3 games once, 4 games once, 6 games twice, 7 games once and 8 games once. Tennessee has gone 5,7,6 and 5 wins in the last four years. The SEC survived. Even prospered. Obviously the ACC can't handle a lesser fate from Florida State.

Schools have downturns in football. Part of the reason for being in a conference along with scheduling is to level the money out in your down years. If FSU was somehow able to guarantee being a top 10 team every year, they'd be an independent because there's no reason to share the money with Duke and BC. If that's what they have to do for the ACC to get a competitive football TV contract, they're better off playing "second fiddle" in a conference that has teams step up and play on a national level when they can't for whatever reason.

The rest of the ACC never could break through the perception that it was FSU and the eight dwarves, even after FSU started declining and getting beat on a regular basis. With that consideration, it was rare that any other member other than FSU could start out with a high enough ranking to be in a position to contend for a national championship should they stay unbeaten. It was hoped that Miami and VT would change that and finally increase the odds of a national championship contender from the ACC. Well, that didn't pan out, either, and so here we are.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #463
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
The rest of the ACC never could break through the perception that it was FSU and the eight dwarves, even after FSU started declining and getting beat on a regular basis. With that consideration, it was rare that any other member other than FSU could start out with a high enough ranking to be in a position to contend for a national championship should they stay unbeaten. It was hoped that Miami and VT would change that and finally increase the odds of a national championship contender from the ACC. Well, that didn't pan out, either, and so here we are.

Yup, in 1997 UNC went 10-1, with their only loss to #2 FSU, and got stuck in the Gator Bowl against 7-4 Virginia Tech who they blasted 42-3. This year Alabama went 11-1, losing to LSU, who they then got a rematch with for the National Championship. If any ACC team slips even once (Clemson, I'm looking at you), they slide way back down the rankings, while teams like Nebraska get to lose their conference championship game and still play for the national title.

That's one reason I'm excited about the talk about a conference champion playoff, if they can get rid of rankings that are so dependent on pre-season perceptions of teams that have turned over 20-25% of their roster from the prior year (graduation mostly) and haven't played yet.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #464
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yup, in 1997 UNC went 10-1, with their only loss to #2 FSU, and got stuck in the Gator Bowl against 7-4 Virginia Tech who they blasted 42-3. This year Alabama went 11-1, losing to LSU, who they then got a rematch with for the National Championship. If any ACC team slips even once (Clemson, I'm looking at you), they slide way back down the rankings, while teams like Nebraska get to lose their conference championship game and still play for the national title.

Are we talking the 1997 season that didn't include the BCS and included two undefeated teams splitting the title? Before the bowl game, the only team that NC beat which was ranked was an eventual lackluster Stanford team. Even if there was a BCS, NC wasn't going to the title game.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #465
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good pic of the new field at Mizzou. Black and gold in the end zones with the new Nike font on the yard lines.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #466
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

That's one reason I'm excited about the talk about a conference champion playoff, if they can get rid of rankings that are so dependent on pre-season perceptions of teams that have turned over 20-25% of their roster from the prior year (graduation mostly) and haven't played yet.

It's a flaw in the system that's never getting fixed. The AP is never going to stop having preseason polls (Heck, they still do a post-March Madness poll that no one pays attention to) and 2010 Auburn at 22 and 2000 OU at 19 are the lowest preseason teams to play for a title in recent years. If you're not a team with some history, you're likely looking at two great years or 3 in 4 to play for a title.

The Harris poll doesn't even start until week 5, but they're all influenced by the AP (and coaches poll, I'd guess), so there's no way to get rid of that bias because any ranking system will include human polls. It works both ways, though. UNC started the next season ranked 10th.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #467
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

So much nonsense in one post.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #468
Ksyrup

2% behind Undecided. Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #469
tarcone
Coordinator

James would be a perfect senator. He takes money to perform, when he shouldnt. He lies about it. Then gets holier-than-thou when someone else does it.
I cant believe he isnt dominating that race.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #470
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am confused. What are you guys talking about?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #471
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am confused. What are you guys talking about?

That's Craig James (ESPN, SMU, general asshat)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #472
Ksyrup

Craig James' attempt to save face from his impending ouster as an ESPN commentator (and one of the most universally disliked sports personalities at ESPN - and that's saying something) was to run for Senator. And he's even less popular doing that.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #473
Ksyrup

A look back at the most ridiculous moments in Craig James' Senate run | May
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #474
Easy Mac

The margin of error is +/- 4.5 percent, so he may actually have -1.5% support.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #475
flounder
High School Varsity

I wouldn't put it past ESPN to hire him back on after his campaign craters.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #476
Ksyrup

I think it cratered in time for them to hire him for some of the late December 2011 games.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #477
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I don't know why you guys are making fun of James, I've never had so much fun voting for a canidate before. I can't stop smiling it was so much fun.

I would guess that the entire 3% of the vote he will get will be from people who were laughing their asses off when they voted.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #478
flounder
High School Varsity

From the poll.

Quote:
Q9 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion
of Craig James?
Favorable........................................................ 14%
Unfavorable .................................................... 32%
Not sure .......................................................... 54%
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #479
tarcone
Coordinator

Q6 Are you a fan of Baylor, Houston, Southern
Methodist, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas
Tech, UTEP, or another school?
Baylor..................... . 9%
Houston ................. . 3%
Southern Methodist . 2%
Texas ..................... .19%
Texas A & M........... .20%
TCU ....................... . 3%
Texas Tech............. . 9%
UTEP..................... . 1%
Another school/Not
a fan........................33%

This got my attention more then anything. This poll says there are more Texas A&M fans then Texas fans. Could that be true?

Or is this poll so skewed, that maybe James will win.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #480
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
He also received 4% of the vote in a Dallas Morning News poll asking who people would vote for in a hypothetical Senate race between him and Mike Leach. Leach received 96% of the vote

That is hilarious.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #481
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I wouldn't put it past ESPN to hire him back on after his campaign craters.

Craig James' Senate Run Now Pretty Much All In - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #482
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, the curse of Iowa running backs continues.
Greg Garmon, an incoming freashmen, gets arrested for drug possession. He was a possible starter. With the problems Iowa has at that position, he was a probable starter.
Next man in.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #483
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You guys are growing more than corn down there.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #484
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Good pic of the new field at Mizzou. Black and gold in the end zones with the new Nike font on the yard lines.

Not sure how the big boy SEC teams are going to react to having to play in a high school stadium.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Not sure how the big boy SEC teams are going to react to having to play in a high school stadium.

Nothing new, they've been to Vandy.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #486
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nothing new, they've been to Vandy.

Vandy has academic standards.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #487
tarcone
Coordinator

Rumors of a new field at Maryland. This is a possibility

Here is the article

Maryland Football's Black Field Rumors May Have Terrifying, Nightmarish Legs - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Old 06-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #488
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

The same way every other team that loses in our stadium reacts.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #489
tarcone
Coordinator

So you will be getting one SEC reaction next year. Thats a start.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #490
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So you will be getting one SEC reaction next year. Thats a start.

MU wins one SEC game in their home stadium??? I'll take that bet. $50 in Steam credit to the winner?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #491
tarcone
Coordinator

I just looked at the schedule. You will be getting 2 SEC reactions.
Unless Kentucky or Vandy are playing well. Which is doubtful.
If the bet were an over/under of 2.5 wins, I would consider it.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #492
Logan
Head Coach

I agree. Although I don't think either of those schools constitute "big boy SEC reactions".
Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #493
Ksyrup

The only reaction coming out of Lexington will be for Joker Phillips' head. And even then it will only be half-hearted.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #494
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Rumors of a new field at Maryland. This is a possibility

Here is the article

Maryland Football's Black Field Rumors May Have Terrifying, Nightmarish Legs - From Our Editors - SBNation.com

Just seems like schools are trying to out-ugly one another.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #495
Ksyrup

It's pretty smart. Ugly uniforms and now, I guess, ugly fields are the "pants hanging off the butt" attraction to young athletes. There's no conceivable reason why low-hanging pants has lasted as long as it has, other than the ongoing reaction of adults to the practice. We keep talking about what an abomination Boise State's field and Oregon's uni's and now Maryland's... everything... is, and in about 5 years, ESPN will have to warn epileptics against the dangers of viewing college football.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #496
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some early spreads for the coming season. I'd be shocked if some of these haven't moved quite a bit since they were posted.

111 College Football Point Spreads Courtesy of the Golden Nugget | Kegs 'n Eggs Blog
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #497
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Some early spreads for the coming season. I'd be shocked if some of these haven't moved quite a bit since they were posted.

111 College Football Point Spreads Courtesy of the Golden Nugget | Kegs 'n Eggs Blog

I'll take Clemson +8 at Tallahassee right now.
I'd also jump all over SC +2.5 at home against Arky.
Au +18 against Bama I'm a little more nervous about, but Id lay money on right now as well.
Doing this off a phone, so Im not sure can I actually get action on those numbers at that site?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #498
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'll take Clemson +8 at Tallahassee right now.
I'd also jump all over SC +2.5 at home against Arky.
Au +18 against Bama I'm a little more nervous about, but Id lay money on right now as well.
Doing this off a phone, so Im not sure can I actually get action on those numbers at that site?

Those numbers are from the Golden Nugget Casino in Vegas.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #499
Logan
Head Coach

Eric LeGrand to receive Valvano award at ESPYs - Yahoo! Sports
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #500
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I wonder which of these guys ate more ribs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote