Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #451
miami_fan
Coordinator

But to what end? The Bucks can't seriously be considering Kidd with that type of role with the team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #452
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm less surprised Kidd wants a personnel role than I am that the Bucks are actually listening to him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #453
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I was under the impression he was a mediocre coach, no?

They sucked in the beginning and were great after that but didn't really translate it to that much in the playoffs so who knows. If the Bucks agree to this, they basically pissed away the good fortune of drafting Parker.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #454
Groundhog
Coordinator

I really don't care about the Melo/Heat stuff this offseason, and fully expect Bosh/LeBron/Wade/Melo to all be wearing the same uniforms next season that they did this season.

I think these four guys have distracted everyone from the fact that this is potentially a very deep FA pool overall. Great year to have cap room. I could list names, but seriously, check this out:

HoopsHype - NBA Free Agency 2014

Obviously some of these guys will re-sign, but man, that's a deep pool of talent.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #455
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah I think everyone is staying where they are. Most of this stuff is just narcissists who love the attention stoking the flames. I'm guessing most of these moves were decided on months ago.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #456
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Most of this stuff is just narcissists who love the attention stoking the flames. I'm guessing most of these moves were decided on months ago.

Couldn't agree more.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:11 PM   #457
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I think everyone is staying where they are. Most of this stuff is just narcissists who love the attention stoking the flames. I'm guessing most of these moves were decided on months ago.

I disagree. In fact, I think it is athletes willing to put their ego aside and take less money (at least in direct pay from the team) in order to better their chances to win a title. That is exactly what I want out of the players on my favorite teams.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hawks trade Williams, Nogueira to Raptors for Salmons (updated) | www.ajc.com

Hawks will then waive Salmons to gain cap space.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #459
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I disagree. In fact, I think it is athletes willing to put their ego aside and take less money (at least in direct pay from the team) in order to better their chances to win a title. That is exactly what I want out of the players on my favorite teams.

I'm not talking about what players will be taking in salary (I think the taking less to win is not really happening). I'm talking about them inevitably dragging this out for a couple weeks when they all know what they're doing.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #460
nol
Banned

Lol I'd love to get an over/under bet on how many weeks this is "dragged out." The deadline to opt out is tomorrow and no player can even sign with a team until July 1. The Decision took place on July 8th, so you are literally basing this on no prior information or knowledge.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #461
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Interesting, especially trading away Nogueira who seemed like a decent (yet raw) prospect. There's a number of guys in this FA group who seem to me that they'd have no problems going to Atlanta for the right price. Unfortunately, that price will probably be a Josh Smith/Joe Johnson-esque overpay.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #462
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Me too, and my respect for Duncan and co. grows 1000x over when I read stories about them doing exactly that. At the same time, I completely understand if an athlete choses money first, especially when generally you are looking at a 10-12 year window to make as much as you can before its over.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #463
Groundhog
Coordinator

In other words, if I'm Bosh and Wade and other teams offer me considerably more to sign with them than I need to reduce my salary to in order to remain a Heat, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't strongly consider it.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #464
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No way Wade is going to make as much money by opting out as he would have otherwhise. I don't know any other way to read that other than he's taking less money to win, or at least attempting to. My respect for him and Bosh just increased substantially.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #465
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Lol I'd love to get an over/under bet on how many weeks this is "dragged out." The deadline to opt out is tomorrow and no player can even sign with a team until July 1. The Decision took place on July 8th, so you are literally basing this on no prior information or knowledge.

They all know what they're doing right now. It's just a week long spectacle for everyone to get their names out as much as possible. Those who do it are as embarrassing as the Kardashians.

Carmelo has already come out and said he won't make his decision till the 2nd week of July.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #466
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
No way Wade is going to make as much money by opting out as he would have otherwhise. I don't know any other way to read that other than he's taking less money to win, or at least attempting to. My respect for him and Bosh just increased substantially.

They were going to take less money to win a title, or get the money elsewhere and most likely have a far less chance of winning a title, which I don't think any of the three want. Who else is really going to give Wade the same kind of money and be a contender? About the only team for Bosh would be Phoenix and that's with LeBron coming as well.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Interesting, especially trading away Nogueira who seemed like a decent (yet raw) prospect.

Speculation is that either his knee problems are worse than first believed / revealed or at least that they've taken enough away from him that he's not the prospect they once thought.

Here's a reference to it from near the end of 2013.

Hawks' Lucas Nogueira to rehab knees in Atlanta - SBNation.com
Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #468
RainMaker
General Manager

I read the Hawks might target Luol Deng. Teague, Korver, Deng, Milsap, and Horford is a real tough starting 5.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 AM   #469
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Like I said, I don't think he's leaving, but to play devil's advocate... he left 42 mil on the table over the next 2 years. The way he's going, I don't think he's going to be in the shape to command much coin after that period. If someone offered him a 4 year deal starting at about 12mil or more? It's less per year, but would wind up being more overall. I don't know that it would happen, but it's a possibility.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 AM   #470
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I read the Hawks might target Luol Deng. Teague, Korver, Deng, Milsap, and Horford is a real tough starting 5.

If Horford can stay on the court, that's a pretty high IQ lineup, too. Would actually be fun to watch... although I still don't know if I'm sold on Teague.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #471
nol
Banned

Quote:
They all know what they're doing right now. It's just a week long spectacle for everyone to get their names out as much as possible. Those who do it are as embarrassing as the Kardashians.

Carmelo has already come out and said he won't make his decision till the 2nd week of July.

Yeah, and who could forget the time that drama queen Tim Duncan waited until July 11th to decide he was going to stay with the Spurs instead of leaving for Orlando? Talk about the decline of American civilization. Who do these spoiled millionaire athletes think they are taking 10 days to decide where to work for the next five years?

What's your personal issue with it? It's not like you need to tax your brain to come up with a different hot take depending on where they sign: "blah blah blah conspiracy collusion taking the easy way out and this will lead to more tanking and the refs will make sure the stars win anyway."
Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 AM   #472
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Yeah, and who could forget the time that drama queen Tim Duncan waited until July 11th to decide he was going to stay with the Spurs instead of leaving for Orlando? Talk about the decline of American civilization. Who do these spoiled millionaire athletes think they are taking 10 days to decide where to work for the next five years?

What's your personal issue with it? It's not like you need to tax your brain to come up with a different hot take depending on where they sign: "blah blah blah conspiracy collusion taking the easy way out and this will lead to more tanking and the refs will make sure the stars win anyway."

I don't remember Duncan carrying a camera crew around with him taping a documentary. Or holding an infomercial for himself on a major network to announce the decision. And back in 2000 the CBA was much different and there were huge differences in the lengths and amounts teams could offer. It wasn't as simple as "sign a max contract here" or "sign a max contract there".

And I don't have a personal issue with it. I just think it's a colossal waste of time and is done to stroke massive narcissists egos. It's the NBA's version of the Kardashians. Fake drama to keep their names in the news. This shit was figured out weeks or months ago.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-30-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #473
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
If Horford can stay on the court, that's a pretty high IQ lineup, too. Would actually be fun to watch... although I still don't know if I'm sold on Teague.

I think it's fun to watch a team with 5 guys on the court who can all step back and hit a 3. Don't think they'd compete for the East, but I think if Horford is healthy and they add someone like Deng, they could be the 2nd best team in the conference.

The cool thing about the Hawks is they don't have a bad contract on the books (assuming Salmons is waived). Leaves them a lot of flexibility going forward.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #474
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't remember Duncan carrying a camera crew around with him taping a documentary. Or holding an infomercial for himself on a major network to announce the decision. And back in 2000 the CBA was much different and there were huge differences in the lengths and amounts teams could offer. It wasn't as simple as "sign a max contract here" or "sign a max contract there".

And I don't have a personal issue with it. I just think it's a colossal waste of time and is done to stroke massive narcissists egos. It's the NBA's version of the Kardashians. Fake drama to keep their names in the news. This shit was figured out weeks or months ago.

Who is creating the "drama"? The only surprise afaic was Wade opting out. Bosh said he would take less money so he had to opt out. Even if Lebron wants stay, it is just good sense to opt out given the power he has. Melo told everyone who would listen that he was opting out. Bosh, James, and Wade have all expressed a desire to stay in Miami but want to see what the Heat are doing. Melo wants to listen to offers from all comers. All are being pretty consistent so far. In fact, in every story that I have read about these players, the common thread between all of them has been the words "as expected". I think once again, your personal issue (yes I believe this is the case) is with the media. They are doing their best to create drama but really, there is not a whole lot there at this point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #475
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Deng has a giant fork in his back.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #476
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Deng has a giant fork in his back.

That's kinda my fear about the Hawks interest.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #477
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think these four guys have distracted everyone from the fact that this is potentially a very deep FA pool overall. Great year to have cap room. I could list names, but seriously, check this out:

HoopsHype - NBA Free Agency 2014

Obviously some of these guys will re-sign, but man, that's a deep pool of talent.

"fork in the back" is what I think of a large chunk of this list.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #478
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

A couple points.
Lebron, Wade, Bosh...none of them called a press conferene to announce they were exercising their options. Since these are legal contracts in order to execute the opt out certain paperwork must be filed with the league office. They informed their teams they were filing the paperwork and ESPN et al reported it. How is this "feeding their narcissistic egos"

You seem to have great disdain for Lebron. You have made thinly veiled references to "The Decision" several times. You do realize that accoridng to all parties ESPN initiated the idea of "The Decision" broadcast and Lebron only agreed on the conditio that all proceeds went to the B&GC right? Again if someone calls you tomorrow and says they want to air you deciding which shirt to wear, and you say 'sure but ny money you make has to be donated to charity' how does that make you a bad guy?

Finally there is a separate reason all these decisions are being made at separate times. According to current NBA rules it would be a violation for the teams to discuss possible new contract amounts before the current contract is voided. It also would be a rule violation for multiple players to arrange a unified action. That is why these announcements are happening at separate times. The NBA wants them to because the NBA wants the media coverage.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #479
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Have to think what Vince Carter gave Dallas this year could be good for Miami next year and seems like he is in the place mentally to play the role.

I've seen a lot of talk around Lowry ending up in Miami and he would certainly be a fit, but have to wonder if Gasol wouldnt help a ton as well. Or is he just a Bosh clone at an older age and cheaper price?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #480
Alf
Pro Starter

In my opinion Gasol is tougher than Bosh and more willing to play in the paint.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #481
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I haven't really checked out Dallas vs the cap but if they could add Lowry and Pau, while keeping Dirk, that team would be really fun and competitive.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #482
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Have to think what Vince Carter gave Dallas this year could be good for Miami next year and seems like he is in the place mentally to play the role.

I've seen a lot of talk around Lowry ending up in Miami and he would certainly be a fit, but have to wonder if Gasol wouldnt help a ton as well. Or is he just a Bosh clone at an older age and cheaper price?

Both can shoot the long range ball, but they'd thrive spacing out Bosh and letting Gasol own the post, where he is elite.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #483
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Milwaukee Bucks, Brooklyn Nets agree to deal for Jason Kidd - ESPN

Kidd to the Bucks offical. Drew gets fired. Damn how they did it tho. But new boss means regime change.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #484
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I haven't really checked out Dallas vs the cap but if they could add Lowry and Pau, while keeping Dirk, that team would be really fun and competitive.

Why sign Gasol if you have Dirk/Chandler?

If you are Gasol you go to OKC, Miami or Chicago.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #485
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

LeBron James of Miami Heat wants maximum salary - ESPN
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #486
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
"fork in the back" is what I think of a large chunk of this list.

Well, yeah. The very best players aren't going to be unrestricted free agents until 8 years in, so it always skews old.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #487
chinaski
College Prospect

Bucks really try to up themselves every year as the worst team in professional sports. What a disgrace.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #488
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Bucks really try to up themselves every year as the worst team in professional sports. What a disgrace.

Worst in professional sports? I always figured they were too irrelevant for that title
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #489
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Worst in professional sports? I always figured they were too irrelevant for that title

hahah, yeah true, my bad
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #490
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I see where, if the reports are accurate, Jason Kidd will become the first rookie head coach to change teams after one season since '79-'80 (when Stan Albeck went Cavs to Spurs AND Jack McKinney went Lakers to Pacers).

Meanwhile Larry Drew will have been "not rehired" in Atlanta and then dismissed by Milwaukee in consecutive seasons. I wonder how common that scenario is/isn't, where you're basically fired from a HC job twice in two seasons?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #491
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Meanwhile Larry Drew will have been "not rehired" in Atlanta and then dismissed by Milwaukee in consecutive seasons. I wonder how common that scenario is/isn't, where you're basically fired from a HC job twice in two seasons?

There does seem to be a lot of concern with how this all went down for Milwaukee. But one thing nobody is crying about is Larry Drew losing his job. Not sure if that's fair or not. I only watched a handful of Bucks games but the general consensus around these parts was definitely not favorable to Drew.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #492
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That's kinda my fear about the Hawks interest.

I don't think Deng is done. Last year was a really weird season to judge him on. The Bulls were a mess at the time after losing Rose and the Cavs were a mess period.

As long as you're not asking him to be a #1 scoring option, he's going to help them out. He's a really good defender, rebounds well for a SF, and can even score a bit. Kind of a jack of all trades who does everything well but nothing really great (I guess defense might fall in there as great). I think he'd be a great fit on the Hawks as long as they aren't offering him a crazy contract.

He's also a really good teammate who never complains about anything. The Bulls treated him like other shit and he never shit talked them.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #493
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
A couple points.
Lebron, Wade, Bosh...none of them called a press conferene to announce they were exercising their options. Since these are legal contracts in order to execute the opt out certain paperwork must be filed with the league office. They informed their teams they were filing the paperwork and ESPN et al reported it. How is this "feeding their narcissistic egos"

You seem to have great disdain for Lebron. You have made thinly veiled references to "The Decision" several times. You do realize that accoridng to all parties ESPN initiated the idea of "The Decision" broadcast and Lebron only agreed on the conditio that all proceeds went to the B&GC right? Again if someone calls you tomorrow and says they want to air you deciding which shirt to wear, and you say 'sure but ny money you make has to be donated to charity' how does that make you a bad guy?

Finally there is a separate reason all these decisions are being made at separate times. According to current NBA rules it would be a violation for the teams to discuss possible new contract amounts before the current contract is voided. It also would be a rule violation for multiple players to arrange a unified action. That is why these announcements are happening at separate times. The NBA wants them to because the NBA wants the media coverage.

I'm more talking about Carmelo this time around. He's already setting up a two-week cross country trip. It's all for show, he knows what he's doing.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #494
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think Deng is done. Last year was a really weird season to judge him on. The Bulls were a mess at the time after losing Rose and the Cavs were a mess period.

As long as you're not asking him to be a #1 scoring option, he's going to help them out. He's a really good defender, rebounds well for a SF, and can even score a bit. Kind of a jack of all trades who does everything well but nothing really great (I guess defense might fall in there as great). I think he'd be a great fit on the Hawks as long as they aren't offering him a crazy contract.

He's also a really good teammate who never complains about anything. The Bulls treated him like other shit and he never shit talked them.

Yeah, when he joined the Cavs, he joined a mess of an offense. Deng didn't shoot the ball great, but he was also playing on a team that had no half-court offense, either.

Even so, you could see him instructing the young Cavs players all game and being very vocal. Quality hire for just about any team IMO - for the right price, of course.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #495
Groundhog
Coordinator

Bo McCalebb will make an interesting signing this offseason. Saw him play a bunch of times in Europe. I think he'll make a solid backup PG in the NBA.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #496
nol
Banned

Kyrie Irving and the Cavs have agreed on a five year max extension.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #497
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't think he's worth the max based on what we've seen from him so far. Still, worth the gamble, even if it doesn't work out someone is always going to be willing to pick up an athletic PG who can hit 3s, especially a young one on his first max contract.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #498
Groundhog
Coordinator

As far as Kidd/Milwaukee owners/Drew is concerned, the only party that walks out of this not looking like assholes at worst, and grossly-unprofessional at best, is Drew.

Last edited by Groundhog : 07-01-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 AM   #499
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Am I supposed to be excited about 6 years of Kyrie? I see a disinterested dude who does fancy dribbles and plays rec league defense.

He's getting shopped quietly by year 3 of this extension, book it.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 AM   #500
RainMaker
General Manager

Cleveland didn't have much choice. He's got too much talent to just let go for nothing and trading him likely means getting 50 cents on the dollar. Plus Cleveland is not going to bring in any big free agents so you have to hope he gets better.

As for teams who compete with the Cavs. Time to stuff the ballots for Kyrie in the next All-Star game and get him that supermax deal.