Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #5201
molson
General Manager

Even the New York Times model, which essentially "called" this a while ago, still has Clinton winning the popular vote. So that (the electoral college debate) will still be a thing, though there's nothing Dems can do about it. But they have a big electoral map problem with the shifts in the midwest.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2016 at 11:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #5202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The sun will rise tomorrow
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #5203
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Who do we nominate to start the Trump presidency thread?

I nominate Jon; I certainly got on him enough through this.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #5204
wustin
College Prospect

Looks like Democrats now know to not piss off white people in the midwest.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #5205
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Looks like Democrats now know to not piss off white people in the midwest.

You would think she'd know this, being from Arkansas.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #5206
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rosie O Donnell needs to be on a plane NOW!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #5207
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

ahhhhhhhhhhh look at all the lonely people (in this thread)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #5208
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The sun will rise tomorrow

I was wondering if people are holding back their panic here some. I've argued against liberals here for 10+ years and I feel like I'm the only one really worried. I'm breaking out the fire pit in the backyard, drinking scotch, contacting friends I haven't seen in a while, contemplating my personal financial status with an eye towards being more conservative, wondering what will happen if my girlfriend loses her job, etc. While a small part of me is intrigued to see what happens next.

I can personally get through a bad economy, a Supreme Court retreat on certain individual rights, etc, but my biggest fear at the moment is about the environment. We're electing someone who at least claims to believe global warming is a hoax.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #5209
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

3-1 warriors lead
3-1 Indians lead
3-1 Clinton lead

Oh 2016, you are cruel mistress
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #5210
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Interesting that, according to 538, Clinton only got 65 percent among Latinos. Trump did much better than Romney did with Latinos. I'm having a hard time buying any polling, exit or otherwise, but we seem to have underestimated the number of Latinos who share Trumps views on Mexicans.

There's something to this. I have a number of friends who are naturalized U.S. citizens (largely SE Asian, but some Latino), and they are much, much, much more angry about U.S. immigration policy/open borders than I am. I tend to want to extend the helping hand.

What they see is that they did it the right way, paid thousands of dollars in travel expenses to fly here or there every hear for visa shit, waited in lines, filled out a bazillion forms, constantly felt like they were on tenterhooks constantly about their legal status.

In essence, they paid their dues and earned the right to call themselves Americans. The fact that we'd make a policy of just giving it to other people for free invalidated their sacrifices.

As my Malaysian buddy said the other day, "So, my brother called me up and wants to come live here in the U.S. because he thinks that my citizenship will give him a free ride. I said to him, 'Fuck you. Stand in line like the rest of us did.'" (His wife is also a naturalized U.S. citizen from Sri Lanka.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #5211
tarcone
Coordinator

Its not as circle-jerky in here tonight.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #5212
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Per Fox: 69% of people who believed neither candidate was qualified to be POTUS voted for Trump.

NeverTrumpers were OhHellTrumpIGuess in the end.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #5213
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The America that I thought I lived in, or that we were heading to is now dead. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Democrats to change the SCOTUS. With the next president likely to seat at least 2, possibly 3 on the court, there will never be another chance to get back here in my lifetime. That's a disturbing thought.

And this is exactly why in the end I pulled the lever for him. I went to vote divided between whether to vote for Johnson or Trump. I need the end, I voted for Trump because of the SCOTUS nominations.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #5214
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, it looks like there was some fundamental issue with polling in this particular election. One that effectively was not present four years ago, so it doesn't seem like you can be as simple as "pollsters are stupid."

I guess the first draft idea might be that Donald Trump is a certain type of candidate, whose support was repressed in conventional polling methods. That somehow people who supported him, or who eventually supported him, or unwilling to tell a pollster as much.

All through the election, I felt there was a weakness in the pedantic nature of the Democratic argument. Every time some luminary, general, past president, Nobel prize winner, or whomever shuck a finger at voters telling them not to vote for Donald Trump… It oddly reinforced his message of change and bucking the system.

I think the thing about people not wanting to admit they were going to vote for Trump are spot on, but at the end of the day, even Republicans who didn't like him, held their nose and voted for him.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #5215
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fox News gives Nevada to Clinton.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #5216
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Its not as circle-jerky in here tonight.

Hey man, if Iowa wins this weekend, all is forgiven. I'll be the first to apologize for being a dick in the past to you, including in this thread. Call it bargaining or acceptance if you like.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #5217
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
I was wondering if people are holding back their panic here some. I've argued against liberals here for 10+ years and I feel like I'm the only one really worried. I'm breaking out the fire pit in the backyard, drinking scotch, contacting friends I haven't seen in a while, contemplating my personal financial status with an eye towards being more conservative, wondering what will happen if my girlfriend loses her job, etc. While a small part of me is intrigued to see what happens next.

I can personally get through a bad economy, a Supreme Court retreat on certain individual rights, etc, but my biggest fear at the moment is about the environment. We're electing someone who at least claims to believe global warming is a hoax.

Why would we panic? We're (mostly) white guys. Even when we vote against our self-interest, we still win.

I'm just disappointed that while we got to 5% with third party votes, we didn't get one party to the 5% threshold. That was the big question *I* was hoping the polls and models were wrong about.

Last edited by Drake : 11-08-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #5218
sabotai
General Manager

92% reporting in PA, 48.2% to 48.2%.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #5219
Edward64
Head Coach

Wonder if this could be because of the Russian hackers?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #5220
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
And nobody likes to be called an idiot because they were going to vote one way.
That's pretty much why I voted Trump. I was on the fence until recently, but ended up casting a vote for Trump (instead of Johnson) simply as a F.U. to all the articles I had read that contained highly snobbish & elitist Clinton rhetoric.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #5221
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fox News gives Nevada to Clinton.
Still not over...
Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #5222
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Hey man, if Iowa wins this weekend, all is forgiven. I'll be the first to apologize for being a dick in the past to you, including in this thread. Call it bargaining or acceptance if you like.

Iowa is going to give up 60 this weekend. That game is going to get the faithful worked up even worse.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #5223
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure why Google hasn't called Wisconsin yet.

Wow, just 15 vote difference in NH at the moment.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #5224
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
People are ANGRY and have been for awhile. Not just the white males. And nobody likes to be called an idiot because they were going to vote one way.

The Republicans thought if you ignored him, he would go away. They decided to attack him late in the primaries. The democrats decided to just attack him. Hillary tried to play the "gotchya" card in the debates. Everyone, including me, thought all she had to do was show up and she would end up winning.

The problem is that's how she viewed it as well. She took things for granted. She didn't feel the need to go to Wisconsin. She kept attacking Trump rather than talking about the issues. In short, she was a horrible, horrible candidate and was from the start.

I'm shocked at this, but in hindsight I shouldn't have been. I HATE what is going to happen tonight, but there are very clear reasons why it did.

The primary probably should have been a bigger sign to us.

I always thought it was a bad strategy to just label everyone who disagreed with you a racist, sexist, etc. Focusing all your energy on certain groups and ignoring (and even blaming) a large segment of the population. Whether that's taking the sides of groups like BLM or the abundance of snarky political commentary that demeans groups in this country. And for working class white people who have been hurt by the economy over the years, Democrats who usually supported them have not.

I mean I don't agree with how the election went but I guess it's not surprising that when you trash a huge part of the electorate for a decade, they'll come out in droves to vote against you.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #5225
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I've argued against liberals here for 10+ years and I feel like I'm the only one really worried.

I'm joking around because there's nothing I can do about it.

Bold prediction: Within 2 years, North Korea will make a statement making fun of Trump's hands. He'll demand nukes be launched at Pyongyang. The military will never allow that, so they resort to the only option they have. A military coup.

(I'm joking, please don't put me on a list!!!)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #5226
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

is vomiting a stage?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #5227
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Still not over...

Wisconsin looks like it's lost. Pretty much comes down to that now that Michigan might swing in her favor.

Edit: Pennsylvania not looking good for her either. Outstanding vote count in parts that will help Trump.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-08-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #5228
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Not sure if you're joking or not, but this could be a silver lining for me. I've been waiting for a stumble in the S&P Index to put some money into an index fund (I didn't say I was being smart about it...that money should probably already be there). If it drops a good amount over the next day or two, it'll be time for me to pull the trigger on that.

Nope, not joking. Futures down 700 right now. I'm a long term guy so figure it may crash more over the next week but good chance it'll eventually recover.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #5229
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

DOW plunged 750 already
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #5230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Edit: Pennsylvania not looking good for her either. Outstanding vote count in parts that will help Trump.

Thanks, legit, for that insight.

I'm so far behind that I can't catch up on that stuff I don't think, so you genuinely told me something useful that I did not know.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #5231
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nope, not joking. Futures down 700 right now. I'm a long term guy so figure it may crash more over the next week but good chance it'll eventually recover.

I think we're definitely looking at a 10% drop at least in the first week.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:38 PM   #5232
molson
General Manager

Current WWE tag team champion Rhyno appears to have won a spot in the Michigan legislature. And Donald Trump is a WWE Hall of Famer. So maybe Trump just tapped into the underrated Michigan wrestling fan demo.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #5233
Ben E Lou

Yes, agree that a couple of networks are hinting that PA is Trump's. Just saying that it's going to be close there, so he has a shot.

AZ hasn't been called for Trump yet.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #5234
MrBug708
Head Coach

What are the chances that Trump gets impeached on that rape charge?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #5235
tarcone
Coordinator

USA and Britain against the world again!

Wait for the rest of the world to come crawling to suck on our teets. History does repeat itself.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #5236
Ben E Lou

Dola...but yeah, it looks like his floor is 258 and hers is around 220.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #5237
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

You can only be impeached for things that happen while you are in office.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #5238
sabotai
General Manager

If Trump wins WI, which looks likely, he doesn't even need New Hampshire. He'll very likely win Arizona, he'll get Alaska, and he probably gets ME-2 and all 5 of Nebraska's votes. That's it. That's 270.

PA and MI won't even matter at the end of it.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #5239
tarcone
Coordinator

I think they called Wisc for Trump already

Old 11-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #5240
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

it was already dropped

however the trump U thing is still in swing
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #5241
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
USA and Britain against the world again!

Wait for the rest of the world to come crawling to suck on our teets. History does repeat itself.

Britain has been on a pretty significant downswing since the early 20th Century I'd say.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #5242
molson
General Manager

McMullin within a few hundred votes of finishing 2nd in Utah. Did Perot finish 2nd anywhere? Who would be the last 3rd party/independent to do that if not him?

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #5243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I really hope we get a called election relatively soon. I want to see both of these speeches.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #5244
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

0%

Republicans control House and Senate.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #5245
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Britain has been on a pretty significant downswing since the early 20th Century I'd say.

But build up the Navy and Air Force. Then watch out.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #5246
Edward64
Head Coach

Eh, CNN pundits are doing some deep soul searching right now. Go back to the polls.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #5247
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I think they called Wisc for Trump already

Some have, some haven't, and since I'm one of those people that falls into "lots of people still remember what happened in 2000", I went with "likely".
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #5248
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
FOFC should invite Nate Silver to join and start the thread.
I know Silver is the only pollster most people can name, but he's been giving Trump a much better chance than other pollsters and the prediction market. He still had it as 70/30 Clinton... which is still a 30% chance for Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, it looks like there was some fundamental issue with polling in this particular election. One that effectively was not present four years ago, so it doesn't seem like you can be as simple as "pollsters are stupid."

I guess the first draft idea might be that Donald Trump is a certain type of candidate, whose support was repressed in conventional polling methods. That somehow people who supported him, or who eventually supported him, or unwilling to tell a pollster as much.

All through the election, I felt there was a weakness in the pedantic nature of the Democratic argument. Every time some luminary, general, past president, Nobel prize winner, or whomever shuck a finger at voters telling them not to vote for Donald Trump… It oddly reinforced his message of change and bucking the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I think the thing about people not wanting to admit they were going to vote for Trump are spot on, but at the end of the day, even Republicans who didn't like him, held their nose and voted for him.
This narrative has been out there for awhile, but I don't buy it. How many Trump voters seem embarrassed to be voting for Trump? I think it's a failire to predict the massive rural turnout in the Rust Belt, just as pollsters missed on how high the urban turnout would be fir Obama. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these models rely on extrapolating out data based on past turnout, and as predicted here multiple times it wasn't some surprising demographic shift it was where the turnout surge came from that was surprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Everything bounced back after Brexit, etc. Great time to buy.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #5249
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
McMullin within a few hundred votes of finishing 2nd in Utah. Did Perot finish 2nd anywhere? Who would be the last 3rd party/independent to do that if not him?

Think Maine and Utah.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #5250
Ben E Lou

I can't stop giggling at the Canadian immigration web site's issues tonight.