Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #5401
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I feel much better about buying that ticket for tomorrow's game now.

Also, how amazing is Buster Posey. 4 hit game, and his favorite part was the tag out at the plate.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #5402
kingfc22
Head Coach

Another 1-run win for the Giants this post season.

1 more guys. Come on!

Torture has never felt so good.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #5403
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Woo hoo!!!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #5404
Bad-example
College Starter

Great game.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #5405
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Excellent game. Best of the Playoffs thus far.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2010 at 10:54 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #5406
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Giants fans have to be feeling good right now. Game 5 at home with arguably the best pitcher in baseball going in the clinching game. I dont think you could have asked for a better scenario for the Giants.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #5407
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Good game but hopefully tomorrow the umpires actually do their job better.

it was crap umpiring all around - I think we can all agree on that. With Halladay and Lincecum tomorrow - all we want is a consistent strike zone.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #5408
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The Giants fans have to be feeling good right now. Game 5 at home with arguably the best pitcher in baseball going in the clinching game. I dont think you could get a better scenario for the Giants.

Trust me, Giants fans don't feel that way. Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball, and then it goes to Philly. If any team can lose 3 here, its us.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 10-20-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #5409
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Trust me, Giants fans don't feel that way. Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball, and then it goes to Philly. If any team can lose 3 here, its us.

Yeah, what he said. Having gone through torture all year, and knowing that our offense can be horribad at the drop of a hat, and knowing that even though we make every pitcher look like Roy Halladay...we're actually facing Roy Halladay tomorrow. And that is a terrifying prospect no matter who we have on the mound for ourselves.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #5410
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
The Giants fans have to be feeling good right now. Game 5 at home with arguably the best pitcher in baseball going in the clinching game. I dont think you could have asked for a better scenario for the Giants.

I would say cautiously optimistic but the series played out exactly how we wanted. Game 5 at home with Timmy on the mound pitching for the pennant.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #5411
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I dont think you'd trade Lincecum for any other pitcher Athough yes a great case could be made for Halladay being the best as well. I like Lincecum in this spot however with his sometimes unhittable stuff in his home park the way he has pitched in the playoffs.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #5412
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I dont think you'd trade Lincecum for any other pitcher Athough yes a great case could be made for Halladay being the best as well. I like Lincecum in this spot however with his sometimes unhittable stuff in his home park the way he has pitched in the playoffs.

Heh. We wouldn't give him up for Cliff Lee if we were promised Lee would pitch every game as if he were in the playoffs. Timmy is OUR Freak, and we like him right where he is
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #5413
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What I don't like at this point is that the Giants are playing like they want it while the Phillies aren't. Hopefully that changes and we get a game seven out of this.... (not holding my breath though)

Too many dumb moves by the Phillies today. Rollins' last at bat was one of those things, you have to get Werth to 3rd even if it means giving yourself up as it would just be one out with him at third.

Oh well, the season isn't over unless they lose tomorrow. One game at a time.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #5414
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Speaking of Cliff Lee. Any theories on why it seems so many pitchers can outperform their regular season performance in the playoffs? Is it that these pitchers can become that much more sharp when the pressure is higher or is it that the hitters are so nervous at the plate they dont hit like they do during the regular season.

2 straight years after stuggling in August/early Sept Cliff Lee has been dominant and Lincecum now looks like the pitcher he was 2 years ago after being mediocre(by his standards) all year. Halladay pitches a no hitter in the first round and Cain looked as good as he has in awhile. It seems every year this happens in the playoffs and we get a lot of low scoring games.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #5415
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Lincecum was amazing in April and in September, he was just awful in June and August.

The statistician in me wants to say that this success is small sample size, and I guess I really do deep down think that is the answer. It's tough though - Lee really does seem to be a different beast in the postseason.

Edit: Correction, horrible MAY and August.

March/April: 4-0, 1.27 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, .175 BAA, 6.14 K/BB
May: 1-2, 4.95 ERA, 1.54 WHIP, .244 BAA, 1.74 K/BB
August: 0-5, 7.82 ERA, 1.82 WHIP, .311 BAA, 2.08 K/BB
September: 5-1, 1.94 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, .201 BAA, 6.50 K/BB

June and July were pretty mediocre - 3.0X ERA, 1.35 WHIP, etc.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #5416
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What I don't like at this point is that the Giants are playing like they want it while the Phillies aren't. Hopefully that changes and we get a game seven out of this.... (not holding my breath though)

Too many dumb moves by the Phillies today. Rollins' last at bat was one of those things, you have to get Werth to 3rd even if it means giving yourself up as it would just be one out with him at third.

Oh well, the season isn't over unless they lose tomorrow. One game at a time.

I don't know about that - I thought Howard's AB against a lefty that has given him the willies was amazing - and he ran like a guy wanted it. AT this point, I don't think effort is an issue - every guy on every team wants this.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #5417
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Speaking of Cliff Lee. Any theories on why it seems so many pitchers can outperform their regular season performance in the playoffs? Is it that these pitchers can become that much more sharp when the pressure is higher or is it that the hitters are so nervous at the plate they dont hit like they do during the regular season.

2 straight years after stuggling in August/early Sept Cliff Lee has been dominant and Lincecum now looks like the pitcher he was 2 years ago after being mediocre(by his standards) all year. Halladay pitches a no hitter in the first round and Cain looked as good as he has in awhile. It seems every year this happens in the playoffs and we get a lot of low scoring games.

Luck?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #5418
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

This was inexcusable and the game was lost right then and there.

To me, the Game 3 loss was a better "loss". Both teams were evenly matched, both played well, and the Giants got a few more breaks than the Phillies. Tonight, however, the Phillies made stupid mental decisions in the dugout and in the field that will get absolutely crucified in tomorrow's local media...and deservedly so.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-20-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #5419
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
This was inexcusable and the game was lost right then and there.

Yeah, I didn't get that - unless Charlie had no faith in Francisco (in which case, why not get Ibanez up against a RHP? Erik Hinske had fun against Romo).
Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #5420
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Luck?

Well I like the sample size answer but it seems like something else. As a betting person I know enough to take unders in all the playoff games and you will come out ahead. Eventually the books start lowering the totals to 6.5/7 which we seldom see during regular season games. Hell I even seen the first 5.5 run total of my life in game 1 of the Giants/Phils series.

My theories are
1. Hitter nerves
2. Weather conditions
3. Deeper Bullpens
4. Better starting pitchers can play with hitters heads as they know they are being aggressive under playoff conditions

Athough Im interested in other peoples thoughts on this.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #5421
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think it is focus. Lets not forget they are human beings. Just like us they get bored, tired, suffer from tedium, etc...

It is probably hard to get up for a day game in 110 degree heat against the Royals when your team is 10 games ahead in the standings. Getting up for game 5 of the wildcard, not so tough.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #5422
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Out of curiousity, what would you do if it ended up Giants Yankees? I assume Yanks?

I have no problems with Yankees
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #5423
spleen1015
Coordinator

See how easily the Yankees won yesterday? That can easily do that 2 more times...

ugh.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #5424
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
See how easily the Yankees won yesterday? That can easily do that 2 more times...

ugh.

Yeah, you dont really want them bats to catch fire like they did yesterday. Texas is a great home team though.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #5425
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
It seems every year this happens in the playoffs and we get a lot of low scoring games.

Unless you are hitting against the fantastic Yankee pitching. No low scoring games yet in the ALCS.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #5426
kingfc22
Head Coach

No return trip to Philly please!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #5427
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I really do think the cold weather plays a big role. I'm not going to run MLB numbers, but I know I've seen Eastern League (AA) splits where it's known that games in Portland, New Hamshire, etc strongly favor the pitchers the first month+. I think I've said it before, but it's one of my dislikes of baseball's postseason - you shouldn't play the championship of the sport in conditions the sport wasn't made for. Ironically it's football that ensures a warm weather/dome final while baseball which is a summer sport often sees its biggest games played in abnormal, freezing conditions. I don't know what could be done to rectify it - clearly the number of regular season games or playoff rounds isn't going to drop, the owners seem set against day/night doubleheaders as a regular part of the schedule, and they require prime-time games for TV purposes. Luckily 2 of the 4 teams left are non-EST, but some of the Red Sox/Yankees/Phillies home games starting at 8pm and ending past midnight were brutal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #5428
kingfc22
Head Coach

Who are these guys? Halladay has already had to throw 43 pitches thru 2 as the Giants continue to work the count.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #5429
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Great umpin again! Wow, how do they miss that. Clearly foul.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #5430
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nice frikin defense Huff.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #5431
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants making a defensive mockery out of this inning.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5432
RedKingGold
College Starter

Just gotta hope three runs is enough for Halladay.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #5433
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just gotta hope three runs is enough for Halladay.

Its probably enough for him but will he make is past the 6th inning with all of these pitches he is throwing?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #5434
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Its probably enough for him but will he make is past the 6th inning with all of these pitches he is throwing?

Normal rest + last game if we're eliminated + last start for 6 days IF we win the series = 130 pitches are possible.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #5435
kingfc22
Head Coach

Halladay and Lincecum are both not very sharp tonight.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #5436
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a throw by Werth. Poor base running by Ross as he scores on a hit with 2 out.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #5437
kingfc22
Head Coach

Apparently the balls have been programmed to dodge the gloves of first baseman tonight.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #5438
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Running out of outs...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #5439
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Running out of outs...

Yep. Too many missed chances and the third inning was a very poor defensive effort.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #5440
kingfc22
Head Coach

Giants are overdue for a HR...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #5441
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Giants are overdue for a HR...

I think the same can be said for the Phils
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #5442
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For the love of Jesus Christ and everything holy, please don't put in Lidge in the 9th. My heart can't take the strain.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5443
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn he just dominated those 3 batters.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5444
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
For the love of Jesus Christ and everything holy, please don't put in Lidge in the 9th. My heart can't take the strain.

You kill yourself with the sword that brought you here.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #5445
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You kill yourself with the sword that brought you here.

I'd rather see if we can squeeze a few more outs out of Madson
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #5446
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You hold the Phillies to 4 hits, you gotta win the game. Can't help but feel like they gave this one away. And now Werth goes yard, great.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #5447
RedKingGold
College Starter

Thank you Mr. Werth.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #5448
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #5449
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I'd rather see if we can squeeze a few more outs out of Madson

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying what's going through Cholly's cooky mind.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #5450
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

Well played sir.