Acclaimed by whom?

By Matrix, of course!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #5402
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Acclaimed by whom?

I-claimed it sucked. Maybe that's what they're referring to?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #5403
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The proof that this this game is aimed at people who are more interested in uniform mods than a realistic engine?

Three days since 2.0 release and not a single thread about stats on the Matrix Forums.

But the top thread as of today is of course,

Quote:
League Creation: Uniforms?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #5404
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Acclaimed by whom?

you know, this time...at least they spelled acclaimed right
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #5405
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The proof that this this game is aimed at people who are more interested in uniform mods than a realistic engine?

Three days since 2.0 release and not a single thread about stats on the Matrix Forums.

it's like a barbie-dressup game for boys!!!

(and yes i'm aware that's prolly been said like...75 pages ago)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #5406
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
By surfing the Matrix forums I've discovered that there are hard limits on yardage in the quick sim engine.

Maximum run = 19 yards
Maximum pass = 41 yards

But those can be customized.

I honestly wish this was a feature in the normal game of a running back falling down by himself because he just gained 19 yards in rushing. I know this is in the quick sim, but isn't this type of feature right in Daivd's wheel house?
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 09-24-2007 at 02:10 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #5407
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

You know what, if they wanted FOFCers to buy that creator, they would just need to strip out all the gaming and focus on just creating a player/uniform designer. That way, people in the multiplayer leagues could make screen shots of their teams. Unfortunately they could only do poses from the waist up because they still have resolved the Black upper body, White lower body issue.

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-24-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Didn't need an apostrophe for FOFCers. The grammar police was bearing down on my location.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #5408
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it's like a barbie-dressup game for boys!!!

(and yes i'm aware that's prolly been said like...75 pages ago)

(Dana Carvey) "Back in my day, we had REAL computer sims...and they ALL looked like SPREADSHEETS!! And we LIKED it that way!!" (Back to Norm McDonald.)
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #5409
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post
(Dana Carvey) "Back in my day, we had REAL computer sims...and they ALL looked like SPREADSHEETS!! And we LIKED it that way!!" (Back to Norm McDonald.)

This would actually be pretty funny if Maximum Football was in any way a functional football game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #5410
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
By surfing the Matrix forums I've discovered that there are hard limits on yardage in the quick sim engine.

Maximum run = 19 yards
Maximum pass = 41 yards

So....if you are on the 1 yard line and set the max run to 201 yards could you score 3 TDs on one play?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #5411
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
This would actually be pretty funny if Maximum Football was in any way a functional football game.

Not a defense of Max Football, just pointing out the 'middle ground' between FOF and Madden is still pretty empty and would have a pretty good following if ever filled.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 09-24-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #5412
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
So....if you are on the 1 yard line and set the max run to 201 yards could you score 3 TDs on one play?
Couldn't you score 3 TDs on one play in this game already?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 09-24-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #5413
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Couldn't you score 3 TDs on one play in this game already?

No, you're thinking of the Arena league.

Please don't kill me!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #5414
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Not a defense of Max Football, just pointing out the 'middle ground' between FOFC and Madden is still pretty empty and would have a pretty good following if ever filled.

Considering how much praise FBPro gets even after nearly a decade since its death, I agree, but you don't have to go searching much to find those FOF-spreedsheet lovers giving a game like FBPro endless praise.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #5415
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I honestly wish this was a feature in the normal game of a running back falling down by himself because he just gained 19 yards in rushing. I know this is in the quick sim, but isn't this type of feature right in Daivd's wheel house?

I think this feature is built into Ron Dayne, and it reads: "Max run = line of scrimmage."

Uneditable, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

I think it would be cooler if you could set the min run to 201 yards.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #5416
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not a defense of Max Football, just pointing out the 'middle ground' between FOFC and Madden is still pretty empty and would have a pretty good following if ever filled.

You know that FOFC isn't a game right?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #5417
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
No, you're thinking of the Arena league.

Please don't kill me!
You are so done.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #5418
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Considering how much praise FBPro gets even after nearly a decade since its death, I agree, but you don't have to go searching much to find those FOF-spreedsheet lovers giving a game like FBPro endless praise.

This was kind of talked about before. Something as static as an x's and o's diagram of formations/plays would add much.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #5419
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

Right, thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #5420
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Plus he tried this a while back and said he was open to questions only to never come back again. What is going on here?

yeah. I'm done with Marauders. I gave him a VERY fair shake when he came in with this song and dance last time, but then he wouldn't answer any concrete questions or requests for factual evidence to back up his statements.

I'm all for giving this game a second shot, but someone's going to have to PROVE there's something fixed with the MANY, MANY problems we pointed out. His blatant ignoring of those issues pretty much answered any questions I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #5421
SunDevil
College Prospect

Good to see that Bubba Wheels again posting regularly in his own thread. It almost feels this thread has come full circle. Bubba, are you planning on getting version 1.5/2.0?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #5422
SunDevil
College Prospect

Marauders,

Welcome back. You don't mind all the people on this board. You just go on and keep making pretty uniforms and defending an absolute train wreck of a sand-box simulating barbie dress-up beer tent DirectX 10 visual nightmare version 1.5/2.0.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #5423
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
If you bought Maximum Football with Canadian dollars, and sold it in American dollars, your profits went through the roof!

1. Steal Underwear
2. ---
3. Profits

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #5424
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
1. Buy game from Matrix for $50.00
2. Sell game on Ebay for $5.00
3. Buy $5.00 worth of Canadian Lonie
4. Wait 6 months
5. US Currency falls below Canadian currency for the first time in 26-30 years
6. Profit

Fixed it for you
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #5425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you could watch a game that was quick simmed, I can already imagine a RB running straight into a visable wall. Falling back like he hit an imaginary mack truck. No point on calling a running play on 4th and 20 I guess.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #5426
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Good to see that Bubba Wheels again posting regularly in his own thread. It almost feels this thread has come full circle. Bubba, are you planning on getting version 1.5/2.0?

Oddly enough, it was the first game I thought of when I got my new HP laptop with Vista on it. Then I saw the requirements for the game with Vista is more than I have on this. So I'm still pondering the purchase of both more RAM and the game.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 09-24-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #5427
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Oddly enough, it was the first game I thought of when I got my new HP laptop with Vista on it. Then I saw the requirements for the game with Vista is more than I have on this. So I'm still pondering the purchase of both more RAM and the game.
Well, one of those two makes sense. I'll leave it up to you to decide.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #5428
Desmond
Banned

For the love of Pete, trying to get the update and having to jump thru MAXIMUM hoops. Go here, register this, click this link, in this section, register for that, here it may or not be. They can't do a fuckin thing easily can they?
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #5429
AlexB
Pro Starter

So... just for clarity - Jim releases an updated version of FOF at no charge to existing users, changes from 6.0 to 6.1, improves the gameplay and fixes some bugs, and is (rightfully) univerally applauded for his action.

Daivd releases an updated version of Maximum Football (an admittedly horrible game on release) at no charge to existing users, changes from whatever to 2.0, improves the gameplay and fixes some bugs, and is still castigated for it?

OK, the guy was an ass, but this is at least a step in the right direction, and while he maybe doesn't necessarily deserve some slack die to previous actions, he is working his way towards deserving not to be pilloried IMHO.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #5430
Desmond
Banned

I CANT GET TO THE FUCKING GAME!!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #5431
Desmond
Banned

What are the cons to providing a direct download link? Will their be a MAXIMUM hit on their servers?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #5432
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
I CANT GET TO THE FUCKING GAME!!

hahahaha perfect
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #5433
Desmond
Banned

In all fairness, I suppose I registered many months back when I got the game, but i've changed ISP's since then and don't have my password for the members area anymore, hell i'm not even sure what username i used. I must have registered though cause when I signed up again and put in the serial number it said it was already registered. I take 41 yards worth of blame, but fuck, couldn't they make getting the damn thing a slight bit easier for the 10 of us that actually own it?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #5434
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
So... just for clarity - Jim releases an updated version of FOF at no charge to existing users, changes from 6.0 to 6.1, improves the gameplay and fixes some bugs, and is (rightfully) univerally applauded for his action.

Daivd releases an updated version of Maximum Football (an admittedly horrible game on release) at no charge to existing users, changes from whatever to 2.0, improves the gameplay and fixes some bugs, and is still castigated for it?

OK, the guy was an ass, but this is at least a step in the right direction, and while he maybe doesn't necessarily deserve some slack die to previous actions, he is working his way towards deserving not to be pilloried IMHO.

I don't have any issues with Daivd on the patch. I think he's a bit delusional about how good the game is, but we're all a bit blind to our child's faults.

The big issue here is with Matrix. They are putting up the same kind of misinformation they did when the game originally came out. They know full well the faults of the game. They are doing there best to put lipstick on this pig and make as much money as they can before they cut Daivd lose.

The whole 2.0 BS is just a big lie by the Matrix folks. They have a lot of games in their stable that I'm interested in, but with everything they've done with MF, I don't trust them one bit.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #5435
digamma
Torchbearer

From the feature list for M-F2, it appears they weren't lying about the MAXIMUM CUSTOMIZABILITY of this game:
  • Game as a completely new lighting system.
My computer room is a bit dark.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #5436
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

The problem is I've seen nothing to convince me that the patch fixes anything about the core problems with the game. That's the whole thing here, through this whole process there appear to still be SERIOUS issues with the core of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #5437
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
The problem is I've seen nothing to convince me that the patch fixes anything about the core problems with the game. That's the whole thing here, through this whole process there appear to still be SERIOUS issues with the core of the game.

Exactly. A fine example is back in June, where a guy posted in the support forum about strange stats, like defensive ends leading the league in passing. The replies were to look at the thread for the upcoming patch. However, nothing in the descriptions of the patch even addresses stats, but examples of inflatable helmets for teams to run through at the start of the game are mentioned prominently.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #5438
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I heard Bubba's wife is asking him to get an inflatable helmet.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #5439
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:

I'm throwing a flag for use of a word I had to look up.

15 yards. Still first down.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #5440
Atocep
Coordinator

Screens for Maximum Football 2.0 are on the front page of Gamespot right now.

EDIT: Under the "Latest and Greatest tag"

Last edited by Atocep : 09-25-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #5441
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Screens for Maximum Football 2.0 are on the front page of Gamespot right now.

EDIT: Under the "Latest and Greatest tag"

I had to click on the "See More" quite a bit, but saw the screens!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:23 AM   #5442
Bee
Pro Starter

Good to see the guys at Gamespot have a sense of humor.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #5443
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The hell it ain't, Bee. And JeeberD is winning handily.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #5444
johneh
Mascot

How is it possible that the same company can be selling games by David and Shaun Sullivan. It's so unfair to Shaun.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 PM   #5445
SFL Cat
College Starter

Glad to see the "thread that would not die" continue.

The number of posts in this thread alone makes me want to buy the game...okay, the impulse passed.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #5446
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What's the over/under on this thread hittiing half a million views?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #5447
SunDevil
College Prospect

I say about 5 as the number of future releases of the game.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #5448
Marauders
n00b

Quote:

Maximum run = 19 yards
Maximum pass = 41 yards

That is correct.

When Maximum Football was originally in development, the sim engine was designed to be part of the game engine. That way the stats for live games and sims would be the same. The problem was that the sim engine wasn't very fast.

When the game was picked up by Matrix Games, there was a change made to have a quick sim engine added. I guess that there was pressure to have a quicker sim. The quick sim engine is faster, but it didn't show the same stats as the live games.

It can be customized, and is now much better at reproducing game statistics, and limitations are built into it to avoid stats that don't match the 3D game engine results.

Note that Maximum Football was designed as a 3D game rather than a sim engine. The quick sim game feature was not designed to be as robust as a dedicated text based game.

Reintegrating the sim game feature into the game engine is planned for a future version of the game. This is something that myself and FBPro98 game veterans recommended from the start.
Marauders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #5449
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Exactly. A fine example is back in June, where a guy posted in the support forum about strange stats, like defensive ends leading the league in passing. The replies were to look at the thread for the upcoming patch. However, nothing in the descriptions of the patch even addresses stats, but examples of inflatable helmets for teams to run through at the start of the game are mentioned prominently.

As I recall, the bug being referenced was a follow on bug to a change in some statistics catagories. Most of those types of bugs were cleaned up in patches.

One thing to consider about development over the summer was that David was changing code and updating the game for Vista and DirectX 9 .dll compatability. The emphasis was on the 1.5 release which became 2.0 after interface, depth chart, and other changes were made as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Not a defense of Max Football, just pointing out the 'middle ground' between FOF and Madden is still pretty empty and would have a pretty good following if ever filled.

I agree.

I enjoy Madden as an arcade game, and I enjoy FOF as a sim, but neither has replaced either FBPro or Pro Football Simulation for me.

A game with Madden graphics, Maximum Football customization, and FOF GM features would be great, but I do see it being published at this time.

Last edited by Marauders : 09-27-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #5450
Marauders
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Yeah, we don't want to confuse those who have purchased the game. We just want to confuse the people who haven't bought the game.

There have been many changes. To call the game 1.5 would be more confusing to those who have not purchased the game.

Quote:
So the game doesn't actually have the features to warrant calling it 2.0, but since he didn't make the deadline to add all the features he wanted (Oh yeah, he did these simple things in the early 90's. You know, drafting, trading, salary caps, etc.), he had no choice but to call it 2.0 to please his publisher. At least that is my assumption right now.

Your assumption is wrong. The plans for those new features have not been put aside, and they were never meant to be in this version. The name change to 2.0 was a logical choice considering the change in the interface, the change in depth charts, and the change is supported operating systems.

I know you read the Matrix games board. Fom that you should know how I advocate for features and push for upgrades, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. PM or email any member of the beta team and ask who is willing to stick his neck out and present arguments for game features that have been asked for by the Maximum Football community. Ask who takes the heat for pressing issues.

You also know from my PM's that I believe constructive criticism and community feedback is important to the project. Assumptions about motives do little to aid in the development of the game.

If your premise is that Matrix Games decided to change the name just to dupe customers, that would be incorrect. If your premise is that there was some motivation to make a name change for PR purposes, I would agree. The game has changed, so it makes sense to get some PR from it. Madden 2006 wasn't that different from Madden 2005, but the game received a name change. Why shouldn't Maximum Football be allowed to do the same when changes are made?