Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #501
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

All players know they can be traded. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it goes back to CONTEXT. Jason Taylor probably expected to be traded when Parcells ignored him when Taylor tried to say hi (asuming that actually happened). The 3rd year franchise QB has no expectation that he will be traded absent some issue he created or is aware of (say, a money/contract issue).

As far as how to deal with trade rumors, I think it's hard to deny rumors these days and come out looking good. Too many people are talking to too many reporters, so things are bound to get out eventually. I don't have a problem with McDaniels lying or being vague to the press; but the minute the Cassel thing didn't happen - if he really wanted to move on with Cutler - he should have called him and dealt with it right then and there. When dealing with a star player, I think you have to treat a trade situation diffierently than a guy who's not that important of a piece to your team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-02-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #502
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Because some players are babies.

Cutler needs to be lied to. Maybe another player doesn't.

Um...I'd say this situation proves that Cutler is the exact kind of player who shouldn't be lied to. Isn't that what caused this problem to begin with?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #503
Ksyrup

I'm even willing to give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt here - he doesn't know Cutler and doesn't know how he might react to this kind of thing. But someone in the organization should have had the foresight to counsel McDaniels on the "what if..." scenario that the Cassel thing doesn't work out and Cutler finds out about it. My biggest issue with the Broncos in this was the absolute lack of a Plan B or damage control plan.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #504
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Um...I'd say this situation proves that Cutler is the exact kind of player who shouldn't be lied to. Isn't that what caused this problem to begin with?

McDaniel sucks at lying. He has no plan or consistency. I agree that telling Cutler that he could be traded at any time was incredibly stupid. (even though telling him otherwise would be a lie).

Really, anything would have been a lie except:

"I think Cassell's better, I wanted Cassell here, but that didn't work out, so I'm stuck with you"

Just my speculation, but this was all over the second Cutler was mentioned in a trade rumor. He was done with the Broncos at that point (unless they reworked his contract and gave him a new signing bonus, of course, which might be what this is all about).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #505
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
McDaniel sucks at lying. He has no plan or consistency. I agree that telling Cutler that he could be traded at any time was incredibly stupid. (even though telling him otherwise would be a lie).

Why does it have to be a lie? He is arguably the best young QB in the game. Why not just tell him that he will not be traded and stick by it?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #506
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Why does it have to be a lie? He is arguably the best young QB in the game. Why not just tell him that he will not be traded and stick by it?

McDaniels obviously doesn't think he's the best young QB in the game.

He could now, after the fact, decide that he wasn't going to trade him, and stick by it, that's true. But the only purpose of that would be to placate Cutler.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #507
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
How many QBs hold their teams hostage like this? This is Brett Favre-level stuff, at least.

I think there is no situation in the last 25 years that is comparable. When has a team tried to get rid of a proven, yet young, QB before? Its the hardest thing in the NFL to find, and thus probably the most valuable commodity. All this discussion about how other QBs would have reacted is a little crazy - I cannot think of anyone put in this situation before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Any potential for lowballing will be negated, I think, by the number of teams involved. The fact that the Redskins may be involved already suggests there will be no lowball offers. Snyder's a moron.

I agree. In fact, I'd bet on Washington winning ending up with him due to Snyder's demonstrated inability to guage the true value of players and consistently overpay.

Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Broncos want two first round picks (and not necesarily a QB, as previously reported). Other teams will hear that and try to offer slightly less. The Redskins will offer 3 1sts, plus Campbell (if Denver wants him).
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #508
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Broncos want two first round picks (and not necesarily a QB, as previously reported). Other teams will hear that and try to offer slightly less. The Redskins will offer 3 1sts, plus Campbell (if Denver wants him).

At the price of 2 first rounders, I'd just rather the Lions roll the dice on Stafford or some other QB. Too many holes to fill to give up two first round picks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #509
Ksyrup

3 1sts! Plus Campbell? Are those 3 1sts for the next 3 years, or do the Redskins have multiple 1sts this year or next? That's so crazy I don't know if I believe it. Can anyone really improve on that offer? And given that the Redskins will now have a great QB, the Broncos should be assured they won't have to pick in the top 10, so those picks won't be as costly as they could be.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-02-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #510
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
At the price of 2 first rounders, I'd just rather the Lions roll the dice on Stafford or some other QB. Too many holes to fill to give up two first round picks.

Well, according to the chart, the 1.1 would be worth more than the 1.20 and next year's first, right? There is a bit of variance in the "two first round picks" value range. That might be what they are asking of, say, Tampa, who only has the 1.19 this year.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #511
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Well, according to the chart, the 1.1 would be worth more than the 1.20 and next year's first, right? There is a bit of variance in the "two first round picks" value range. That might be what they are asking of, say, Tampa, who only has the 1.19 this year.

Do those things take into account the difference in financial committments?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #512
Logan
Head Coach

No, nor does it account for the difference in the quality of players on a year to year basis.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #513
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Do those things take into account the difference in financial committments?

No, I think its outdated for that, among other, reasons.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #514
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Draft picks have no value to Snyder, so whether it's one of five first rounders makes little difference. Snyder could give away the next decade of draft picks and still think he got a free QB.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #515
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think two firsts is more than fair. You're getting a good, young, starting franchise QB.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #516
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
McDaniels obviously doesn't think he's the best young QB in the game.

He could now, after the fact, decide that he wasn't going to trade him, and stick by it, that's true. But the only purpose of that would be to placate Cutler.

He's foolish for thinking that.

Cutler's stats his first 2 full years as a starter are comparable to Peyton Manning. They are significantly better than any other contemporary young QB such as Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Big Ben or any other young "franchise" QB you can name.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #517
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
He's foolish for thinking that.

Cutler's stats his first 2 full years as a starter are comparable to Peyton Manning. They are significantly better than any other contemporary young QB such as Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Big Ben or any other young "franchise" QB you can name.

And that's what he should be judged by, whether he's right about Cutler. I'll definitely be impressed if Cutler puts up similar numbers with the Lions or Redskins.

Of course, Campbell +3 first round picks might be a good move even if this drama didn't happen.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #518
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

I'd give up the picks. First rounders are about a 50/50 proposition (+++Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Ernie Sims, Jeff Backus ... ---Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Joey Harrington, Stockar McDougle). Two 50/50 guesses aren't worth as much as one Pro Bowl QB with immaturity issues.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #519
MikeVic
Head Coach

I swear I read somewhere that Cutler only recently (i.e. before this past season) found out he was diabetic? Maybe it was something else, but I read a column about some health issue coming up that's completely treatable, but explained to him why he felt sluggish as the game went on. And that was why I drafted him in a couple leagues.

Anyone else know anything about this too?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #520
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What about 1.20 and 2.1. Would you do that?
Quote:
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #521
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Denver said they do not want the #1 pick which is not a shock.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #522
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, I'd deal 1.20 and 2.1 for Cutler. Pick up Jason Smith #1 and you have a couple thirds to dabble with.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #523
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
And that's what he should be judged by, whether he's right about Cutler. I'll definitely be impressed if Cutler puts up similar numbers with the Lions or Redskins.

Jon Kitna put up monster numbers in Detroit. I think Cutler would do just fine, especially with Megatron in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I swear I read somewhere that Cutler only recently (i.e. before this past season) found out he was diabetic? Maybe it was something else, but I read a column about some health issue coming up that's completely treatable, but explained to him why he felt sluggish as the game went on. And that was why I drafted him in a couple leagues.

Anyone else know anything about this too?

During the 2007 season, Cutler lost something like 35 lbs and felt like shit by the end of the season and they couldn't figure out why. They diagnosed him, put him on a different diet, gave him his meds and he's been perfectly fine since (physically; people on here may feel differently about his mental standpoint).

Last edited by Logan : 04-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #524
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cutler is perfect for Linehan's offense, by the way. Not sure how people can dispute that. Did you see what Linehan's offenses did in Minnesota? He is tailor made for that.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #525
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Probably, yeah.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #526
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I'd do 1.1 and 1.20 so 1.20 and 2.1 is a steal. I'd even consider 1.20, 2.1, and next year's first. Consider anyway.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #527
molson
General Manager

The simple Jason Campbell approach would have served everyone well here:

"With all the stuff out there, you know crazy stuff happens in this league," Campbell told local reporters Wednesday. "You just have to be ready for anything. A bunch of trade talk is what got Cutler mad at Denver, that's the reason all that stuff started with him, but I wouldn't do all that. The thing you understand that there's no loyalty in this game, so you just have to work hard. That's all you can do."

Report: Redskins in hot pursuit of Cutler - NFL Nation - ESPN

Last edited by molson : 04-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #528
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently a DC station is reporting a deal is imminent, could happen tomorrow. Cutler for the Skins first, Campbell and a defensive player.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #529
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently a DC station is reporting a deal is imminent, could happen tomorrow. Cutler for the Skins first, Campbell and a defensive player.

If true, this is why the Redskins fail.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #530
MikeVic
Head Coach

Why wouldn't the Vikings take a shot at him? The Vikings with a QB like Cutler would be scary to me.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #531
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Rosensfels is the second coming of Gus Frerotte, that's why!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #532
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

The Vikings fail too.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #533
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think its bad. McIntosh maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
If true, this is why the Redskins fail.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #534
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Rodgers? Can't think of too many defensive players that would have value.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #535
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Report: Cutler Thinks He’ll Be A Redskin
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:12 p.m.

With the Redskins privately denying that they’ll soon acquiring Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, Cutler reportedly believes that he’ll soon be headed there.

According to Gary Miller of CBS4 in Denver, Cutler thinks that a deal is coming.

It remains to be seen whether Cutler will be shipped to a new team with or without a new contract. Presumably, Cutler wants one.

He’s due to earn a base salary of only $1.03 million in 2009, giving the Redskins a very manageable cap number.

Next year, Cutler will earn a $4 million roster bonus and a base salary of $1.42 million. In 2011, the roster bonus shoots to $12 million, and the salary will be $1.81 million.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #536
DeToxRox
Head Coach

‘Skins Privately Denying Reports Of Imminent Cutler Trade
Posted by Mike Florio on April 2, 2009, 5:07 p.m.

Many of you have sent the link to John Keim’s latest report regarding the status of trade talks between the Redskins and the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler.

Keim says that a deal is imminent.

But one team source privately has denied the report.

We’re not taking a position on this one. If it’s truly imminent, it’ll happen imminently. Unless it doesn’t.

Two weeks ago, executive V.P. of football operations Vinny Cerrato publicly denied a bogus-from-the-outset report that the Redskins were close to acquiring Cutler in a three-team deal that would have sent quarterback Jason Campbell and tight end Chris Cooley to Cleveland.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #537
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Guess we'll see who cracks.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #538
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And now NFL Network says Cutler is a Bear.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #539
DeToxRox
Head Coach

No details yet but it's official apparently.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just said that the Bears traded a 2009 first, 2009 third, 2010 first and Kyle Orton.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #541
miami_fan
Coordinator

So does this mean that Shanahan will be going to the Bears after this season instead of the Redskins like the rumors were saying?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #542
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just said that the Bears traded a 2009 first, 2009 third, 2010 first and Kyle Orton.

Interesting...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #543
DeToxRox
Head Coach

That is a lot. Looking at that deal makes me happy the Lions didn't do it, only because seeing it's now done, it makes me realize how many holes Chicago has and no clue who they'll fill them with, let alone us.

Their D is aging, they have a solid RB, but no WR's and an OL as bad as the Lions. Cutler will make them better but the team won't catch up to his talent for a while.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #544
molson
General Manager

Sportswriters who make up things about trades being "imminent" need to have a scarlet letter next to any future column they write, or something. It's rampant, and usually forgotten after the real news comes out how much crap is out there. Maybe there should be a website that keeps score of this kind of stuff.

I think a lot of them litterally make something up that seems feasible, hope that it turns out true so they can brag about it, and then hope that people forget when it turns out not to be true.

Last edited by molson : 04-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #545
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

According to ESPN it's Kyle Orton and the 2009 and 2010 first picks for Cutler and a third round pick in 2009.

Chicago Bears acquire Jay Cutler from Denver Broncos - ESPN

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #546
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Bears got ripped.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #547
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I thought the Bears would get involved. They are built to win now, with a good QB, they can win that division. With the East beating each other up, it would be awfully scary to play the Bears in Chicago in January. I think this will make for a pretty interesting season now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #548
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

This is a perfect team for Cutler to go to so I can prove my point about Cutler being a system QB.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #549
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This is a perfect team for Cutler to go to so I can prove my point about Cutler being a system QB.

An excellent pass-catching RB who is also a great between the tackles runner in Forte, an extremely promising up and coming TE in Olsen, a downfield threat in Hester, rumored to be a suitor for Holt, young WR in Bennett who was his #1 at Vandy...I think you'll be proved wrong.

A better defense behind him and a competent running attack could make him better.

Last edited by Logan : 04-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #550
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Good move for the Bears. They get a cheap QB and give up some costly draft picks. Financially, they're set.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote