Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #501
MJ4H
Coordinator

lol
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #502
RainMaker
General Manager

Just finished Heavy Rain. Wow! What a fun game. I know there were some plot holes and the voice acting could have used a little work, but I really enjoyed the concept and got into the characters and story.

My biggest gripe is the cost. Only spent like 8-10 hours playing this so I don't know if it matches up to a game like Bad Company or Fallout 3 that I'll spend 100+ hours playing. I would be all over games like this if they could fall in the $30 range. Not sure if that's possible and what the development cost of something like this is. But I love the concept and hope that some other companies take a crack at it.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #503
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I just ordered Dragon Age Origins. I was a huuuuge BG fan, so I'm expecting one hell of a time-suck here. Pray for me.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #504
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone play Just Cause 2 yet?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #505
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I just ordered Dragon Age Origins. I was a huuuuge BG fan, so I'm expecting one hell of a time-suck here. Pray for me.

You won't regret it! Outstanding game.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #506
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Just finished Heavy Rain. Wow! What a fun game. I know there were some plot holes and the voice acting could have used a little work, but I really enjoyed the concept and got into the characters and story.

My biggest gripe is the cost. Only spent like 8-10 hours playing this so I don't know if it matches up to a game like Bad Company or Fallout 3 that I'll spend 100+ hours playing. I would be all over games like this if they could fall in the $30 range. Not sure if that's possible and what the development cost of something like this is. But I love the concept and hope that some other companies take a crack at it.

I looked at this in the store last week and almost got it, but I remembered it has a real short playtime, so I'll wait until it drops significantly in price.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #507
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I just bought it. K-Mart's had it here for 44.99. I heard a lot of good things about it and wanted something non sports related so I'm going to give it a go.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #508
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I just bought it. K-Mart's had it here for 44.99. I heard a lot of good things about it and wanted something non sports related so I'm going to give it a go.

Post some impressions if you don't mind!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #509
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

My order from Amazon, which I used Super Saver shipping for, should be here tomorrow, and I expect to be playing immediately and will post impressions. There is a demo for both PC on Steam and on the 360 (which is the platform I'm buying it for), so try it out. Note that on the PC demo I found the vehicle controls difficult without using a 360 controller, so you might keep that in mind if you don't have such a controller for your PC.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #510
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My order from Amazon, which I used Super Saver shipping for, should be here tomorrow, and I expect to be playing immediately and will post impressions. There is a demo for both PC on Steam and on the 360 (which is the platform I'm buying it for), so try it out. Note that on the PC demo I found the vehicle controls difficult without using a 360 controller, so you might keep that in mind if you don't have such a controller for your PC.

Yeah, I need to d/l the 360 demo tomorrow and check it out. Will be interested to hear your impressions!

Edit: I had a $30 Amazon store credit, so I ordered it. I've seen enough videos to warrant the $30 purchase.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-28-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #511
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Cripes, that's expensive. Same price on the PS3 I assume?

I am assuming, that is what I would play it on. In fact it kind of has pushed me far enough (combined with playing Bad Company 2 when I have the time lately) that I may just trade Modern Warfare 2 in now. I couldn't stand not having the map packs on World at War for MP, and it would bug me on this too (it's an pain for your party and I always try to play in a party). Trading it in would be kind of a big deal to me too, since I just a couple weeks ago traded in World at War.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #512
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDUrZeYBbX0

Just Cause 2 cannister fun.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #513
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

A lady I work with asked how much she could sell her sons PS2 for and I realized I had no idea.

She says it has about 15 games and 2 controllers, one controller being less then six months old. He doesn't play it anymore so she was wondering if it was worth selling.

Any idea how much they are going for now?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #514
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

A lady I work with asked how much she could sell her sons PS2 for and I realized I had no idea.

She says it has about 15 games and 2 controllers, one controller being less then six months old. He doesn't play it anymore so she was wondering if it was worth selling.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #515
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

Based on a quick Ebay scan, the system + 2 controllers seems to be going for around $50.

Not sure how the games factor in. Maybe throw them all in and call it an even $100? I guess it depends on the games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #516
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

Picked it up along with GOW3 this weekend. I played the demo, and have only played a few missions, but I like it. Once you get past the fact that your grappling hook works on ANY surface, and your parachute can be instantly opened and closed at will, it's a blast to play. Just like that youtube video you posted, the amount of mayhem you can cause is worth the price of admission alone....
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #517
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Picked it up along with GOW3 this weekend. I played the demo, and have only played a few missions, but I like it. Once you get past the fact that your grappling hook works on ANY surface, and your parachute can be instantly opened and closed at will, it's a blast to play. Just like that youtube video you posted, the amount of mayhem you can cause is worth the price of admission alone....

Can't wait, thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #518
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The story is action movie cheese. The game is just fun to play, though. Once you get past the early missions there's a lot of variety and room for creativity in how you complete a mission.

Quite a bit of gameplay as well. A friend of mine has finished it already and he put 25 hours in. One nice thing is once you finish the main story you can continue playing and completing side missions.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #519
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, going back to "Mass Effect 2".

I was wondering how other folks "end game" scenario went. Here's how I finished up:

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #520
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The story is action movie cheese. The game is just fun to play, though. Once you get past the early missions there's a lot of variety and room for creativity in how you complete a mission.

Quite a bit of gameplay as well. A friend of mine has finished it already and he put 25 hours in. One nice thing is once you finish the main story you can continue playing and completing side missions.

Drools... thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #521
RainMaker
General Manager

From what I've been reading, get Just Cause 2 for the PC if you can (it requires Windows 7). There are a ton of mods for it that make the game much more fun.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #522
rowech
Pro Starter

For anyone playing MAG...is a headset of some sort required in order to play?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #523
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
For anyone playing MAG...is a headset of some sort required in order to play?

Not required as a large number of PS3 players don't have them, but it is nice. Thanks to having the headset, I ended up hooking up with a couple cool groups that I played with pretty consistently.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #524
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Not required as a large number of PS3 players don't have them, but it is nice. Thanks to having the headset, I ended up hooking up with a couple cool groups that I played with pretty consistently.

Can someone who is very average when it come to shooters play this game?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #525
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Played about an hour of Just Cause 2. It starts slow with some directed missions to get you used to the game, I hate the cutscenes for the directed missions since it has to "LOAD" them (which means a lot of LOADING screens early on), and I remembered why I hate flying an airplane without rudder controls. That said, the actual gameplay is a ton of fun, especially once it starts opening up with more freedom for you. Lots more to do with the grappling hook this time around (like yanking snipers off perches, or tying two vehicles together), riding ON a vehicle is lots of fun, and there is now a small mini-game for taking over a vehicle (and things like disarming explosives) where you hit the buttons they tell you, and if you do it quick enough you take over. It's not the auto-move it was before.

We'll see how it holds up over time. One hint: do the A-Team thing and shoot out the tires, don't shoot at the vehicle itself ;-)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #526
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

lol gstelmack..

Did you load the game to the HD?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #527
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Can someone who is very average when it come to shooters play this game?

I will say this: It took me much longer to get "comfortable" with my stats and performance on MAG then it did with other shooters (MW and MW2 in particular). I constantly felt like people were somehow beating me to the draw or I would pump bullets into somebody but they would still somehow take me down. As I got better, these moments became fewer and further between. I think that MW2, in terms of controls and gameplay, is probably better for an average shooter player but I hated the individual nature of the gameplay. The teamwork, when you are on a good team, of MAG can help an average player still become an important player. While my personal stats aren't as good on MAG, my importance to the cause is much more tangible.

I am surprised though that I played MW2 a lot right away and quickly burned out on it. I played MAG hard core right away for about a week and a half and burned out there too. I haven't tried Bad Company 2 yet but I think I'm trading in both to get it because I'm hearing it is a nice merger of the two games.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 03-29-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #528
bhlloy
Coordinator

I managed to finish ME2 this weekend. Overall a great game and the best story/game background they have done so far IMO but the difficulty was a big letdown. It took me an absolute age to beat Saren (final battle) in ME1 and it was a real accomplishment when I finally managed to get it done. The ending in 2 was an absolute cakewalk in comparison.

Spoiler
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #529
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I was wondering how other folks "end game" scenario went. Here's how I finished up:

Spoiler

Here's how my ending went, it's been awhile so the details are a little fuzzy.

Spoiler
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #530
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I managed to finish ME2 this weekend. Overall a great game and the best story/game background they have done so far IMO but the difficulty was a big letdown. It took me an absolute age to beat Saren (final battle) in ME1 and it was a real accomplishment when I finally managed to get it done. The ending in 2 was an absolute cakewalk in comparison.

I haven't finished 2 yet, but I found the Saren fight in the 1st game to be fairly easy as a Soldier with immunity maxed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #531
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Here's how my ending went, it's been awhile so the details are a little fuzzy.

Spoiler

My ending:

Spoiler

I'm playing through New Game+ right now. I wonder if I'll even bother with Zaeed this time. If all he has to offer is a loyalty quest, I wonder what skipping him entirely would do to the endgame.

Last edited by SackAttack : 03-29-2010 at 11:27 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #532
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Spoiler

Been awhile as well, but I believe this is pretty accurate:

Spoiler
Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #533
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
lol gstelmack..

Did you load the game to the HD?

Yes I did, so the LOADs are short, but it's just stupid to have loading screens in the middle of the action. Fortunately this is only during some key story moments, so once you get past the opening 2 missions, the world opens up and you get back to the straight fun.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #534
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yes I did, so the LOADs are short, but it's just stupid to have loading screens in the middle of the action. Fortunately this is only during some key story moments, so once you get past the opening 2 missions, the world opens up and you get back to the straight fun.

That's a relief!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #535
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

That's interesting. I found the gameplay/battles to be vastly improved over the original. I thought the AI, both for the enemies and allies, was much, much better. I also felt like the battles were a little more cinematic and had more tension to them than almost anything in the original. The settings were all different and there were some unique encounters.

That said, I agree, it wasn't too hard. I had a few tough battles, mainly with Husks, but not too many. About halfway through I had to up my difficulty level from "Veteran" to the next one, "Hardcore" maybe? It didn't make things all that much more difficult.

I liked the final mission in how it used the entire squad. Hopefully, they will implement that type of decision-making and group involvement a lot more in the thrid one.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #536
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Been awhile as well, but I believe this is pretty accurate:

Spoiler

So what you do is...

Spoiler
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #537
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty major problems with the MW2 map pack throughout the day so far - missing images, matchmaking badly borked, private matches broken, and all sorts of (apparently) unconfirmed reports of problems not directly related to MW2 including pretty much anything to do with your XB Live account mgmt -- I'm guessing that the latter was a traffic issue but the other stuff was confirmed earlier in the day by "Major Nelson" himself ... and in the past hour it seems Larry's Twitter account confirms the purchasing of products issue as well.

Best I can figure is that their was supposed to be a product update from Microsoft before you got the map pack but that didn't happen/didn't work, which in turn broke the maps.

Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Pack Is Live, But Broken [UPDATE 3] - Stimulus pack - Kotaku
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well that's interesting ... supposedly the matchmaking issues are fixed but the purchasing is still borked, at least according to Major Nelson about five hours ago.

I had no problem adding points (via XBox Live.com), had no problems buying & d'loading the map pack. Had no problem wandering around them with my son in offline splitscreen.

Tried to fire up a little online multiplayer just now, figuring to take my ass kicking ... nada. Just sits & cycles through 0-50 trying to find matches, can't find anything, effectively does nothing.

So basically the shit that was "fixed" appears to still be broken for me while the shit that was still broken appear to be working just fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just FWIW, I finally made it into some MW2 games late last night/early this morning. Was still nearly impossible to get a match on the original maps in any game mode but after several cycles through on the new map options it eventually started connecting about an hour after I last posted.

Interesting side effect of the new maps that was hard for me not to notice: it brought experienced players out of the woodwork like I had never seen before. My poor level 56 was no match for multiple prestige players that dominated every game I played, to the extent that I never saw a match with more than one other non-prestiged player besides me & I saw emblems that I didn't even know existed, much less ever played against.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #540
MJ4H
Coordinator

Metroid Other M New Gameplay Footage

Looks really freaking awesome.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #541
Bad-example
College Starter

Yeah, so I was cleaning out under my bed and I ran across the still-unopened Wii that I got for xmas. Guess I need to figure out what to do with the sucker. Anyone have a clue what a brand new WiiSports might be worth?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #542
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So I was contemplating getting a Wii for NBA Jam but it sounds like there will be no online play so count me out. I'm 24 now and when I do play games with my friends it is hardly ever together since everyone is all spread out. Playing single player NBA Jam is just not the same.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #543
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Yeah, so I was cleaning out under my bed and I ran across the still-unopened Wii that I got for xmas. Guess I need to figure out what to do with the sucker. Anyone have a clue what a brand new WiiSports might be worth?

A penny or two?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #544
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So I was contemplating getting a Wii for NBA Jam but it sounds like there will be no online play so count me out. I'm 24 now and when I do play games with my friends it is hardly ever together since everyone is all spread out. Playing single player NBA Jam is just not the same.

That makes sense. Don't worry though, DeTox, they'll come back 'round in a few years.

The only game I have ever played on-line with my friends is "Left 4 Dead". Other than that, we play everything together, since I still have a couple of my friends in the area. I love split-screen games for that reason. I wish there were more 4-way split-screen games, but that seems like a dying breed.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #545
Bad-example
College Starter

Ninety bucks was the quote Game Stop game me over the phone. Meh.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #546
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Ninety bucks was the quote Game Stop game me over the phone. Meh.

Oh, you meant for the whole console. I figured you meant just the game.

Throw it on Craigslist if you really wanna sell it. You could probably get $175-180 for it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #547
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, picked up BFBC2 tonight. My son played a bit, let me have a turn for a while to see what I thought of it (he really likes to find stuff that I'll play, he says watching me play when he's getting tired of playing himself is kind of like watching a bad movie or a comedy).

I tried the multi-squad mode (whatever that's called) figuring it was closest to what I've done in MW2 and would be the easiest transition. Found the marking system much easier to get used quickly than I expected, I was okay at sniping but was much better with the medic class MG if I was anywhere except up in the hills alone. Sucked with both assault & engineer.

I'll say this much, the experience felt entirely different than BF 1943 which I don't hesitate to describe as the single least enjoyable gaming experience I've ever had. I'd rather beta test Maxmium Fotoball than ever fire '43 up again. It also felt completely different the BFBC single player which I played through maybe 1/3rd or so of, but didn't hate.

Not sure where I'll end up in the BF vs MW wars but after a half hour or so I'm at least comfortable with saying that if you're on the fence this is definitely worth giving a try, and I say that as someone who really has played any significant amount of time on only a couple of shooters in the past decade.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #548
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm enjoying Valkyria Chronicles, but I have a question for those who have played it. Is there any place to see who the officers are during deployment? I'm trying to maximize CP's while building a balanced team and there are only a few officers I know of so far.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #549
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Alicia, Rosie, and Largo iirc.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #550
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Alicia, Rosie, and Largo iirc.

Those are the 3 I know of. I was wondering if there were any others or if 10 CP per turn is the max.