Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #501
bhlloy
Coordinator

If he’s right and somebody on the officiating crew told him the TD was confirmed I don’t know how you can blame him for that. If anything, that official should be disciplined, no?

Entirely possible he’s lying to cover his ass but if he was literally told that there would be no review, and that wasn’t the case, it’s on that official.

And either way, his explanation is completely right. You aren’t allowed to kick the XP until a scoring play has been confirmed, so why rush it? If that wasn’t the case here, again that’s on the refs not being good at their jobs.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-24-2017 at 01:13 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #502
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
And either way, his explanation is completely right. You aren’t allowed to kick the XP until a scoring play has been confirmed, so why rush it? If that wasn’t the case here, again that’s on the refs not being good at their jobs.

Yeah, I thought it wasn't possible to rush an extra point anymore so don't hey what the issue here would be.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #503
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The officials are obviously wrong and need to be disciplined, but Caldwell had to be aware of the possibility that the play could be re-reviewed. I just don't see how you aren't telling your Long Snapper to get that thing out regardless of whether it was confirmed or not for the first time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #504
bhlloy
Coordinator

Because in the rules there shouldn’t have been that possibility. And I don’t think any team in football is telling their players differently.

We all like to pick on Caldwell because he permanently looks like a seven year old seeing a plane for the first time, but I don’t even think Belichek is rushing his XP unit out there on the off chance that the refs don’t know the rules properly. And god forbid the kicker misses the rushed kick and they lose by one, because then the taeks are really hot. Idiot coach doesn’t even know the rules.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #505
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The officials are obviously wrong and need to be disciplined, but Caldwell had to be aware of the possibility that the play could be re-reviewed. I just don't see how you aren't telling your Long Snapper to get that thing out regardless of whether it was confirmed or not for the first time.

I have no idea how you can continue to pin this on Caldwell. Refs blew it. Caldwell's response given what he was being told by officials who should know is entirely reasonable.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #506
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A fake punt inside your own 30 on 4th and 8? I think that's a statement of lack of respect for the Dolphins.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #507
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Trubisky looks more and more like Rex Grossman.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #508
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Trubisky looks more and more like Rex Grossman.

Trubisky has a joke of a receiving corps, and a super conservative head coach. I just don't think we're gonna get a good judge of what he's gonna turn into this season.

At least that's what I'm hoping is the case.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #509
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dolphins gonna thug.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #510
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Trubisky has a joke of a receiving corps, and a super conservative head coach. I just don't think we're gonna get a good judge of what he's gonna turn into this season.

At least that's what I'm hoping is the case.

Also 13 college starts before he came to the NFL. That's why the plan was for him to not play at all this year, but Glennon becomes a deer in headlights on game days.

It's going to take time (and hopefully an OC change at the very least) before we know what Trubisky is.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #511
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very excited with how the Eagles have played all year. I'm finally starting to believe this is a team that can make it to the Super Bowl.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #512
Atocep
Coordinator

The Bears need to clean out the coaching staff. I like Fangio, but if he has to be sacrificed to get rid of Loggains and Fox so be it.

What the Bears need to do is kick the tires on Harbaugh and see if he's tired of the college game (unlikely). Assuming that fails they need to go after McDaniels as Trubisky's development is key to whether the Bears can be competitive in the next 5 years.

What's probably going to happen is Fox will be fired and the McCaskey's will Pace enough money to hire Jeff Fisher and Brian Shottenheimer.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #513
bhlloy
Coordinator

Going to be pretty funny when the Bills miss the playoffs by a game

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-26-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #514
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Going to be pretty funny when the Bills miss the playoffs by a game

What's crazy is with the Chiefs complete collapse the Chargers are a kicker away from a 2 game lead in that division with 4 of their last 5 against teams with losing records.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #515
cuervo72
Head Coach

There goes Cam flopping again.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #516
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Even the Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs completely baffling collapse.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #517
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Is there any redeeming quality to Aqib Talib the person?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #518
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

A willingness to hold the gun so you don't have to?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #519
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a die-hard fan but good to see the Falcons coming off their slump and looking good for a playoff spot.

Julio Jones had a great day.

For those in the know, who was the better draft - JJ or AJ Green?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #520
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

How is Blaine Gabbert playing well in Arizona?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #521
bhlloy
Coordinator

Blake Bortles, everyone
Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #522
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Doug Marrone with an astonishing lack of situational awareness with his play calling, giving the Cards a shot at a long FG to win in regulation, and it's good.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #523
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Grey Cup being played in a snowstorm on ESPN2.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #524
bhlloy
Coordinator

That is such a badly coached last three minutes by Marrone with a solid assist from Bortles. To not at least take it to OT with the ball in that situation with the opponent with two timeouts, and then to get the ball back again and still fuck it up by stopping the clock, is truly amazing. I’m not even sure Andy Reid could have pulled that one out.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #525
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Grey Cup being played in a snowstorm on ESPN2.

First time in my life I've uttered this phrase, "Is that Gladys Knight? Oh, it's Shania Twain."

Last edited by Suicane75 : 11-26-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #526
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
First time in my life I've uttered this phrase, "Is that Gladys Knight? Oh, it's Shania Twain."

Seriously, I got back to my room while she was on stage and didn't know who it was until she started singing something I knew. She looks like she's trying to make a comeback in 1981.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #527
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just another reminder we are all getting old
Old 11-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #528
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hah. I knew she was the halftime show, but when she started walking to the stage, I honestly though it was some black singer doing a warm up act or something.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #529
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I feel old. I used to think she was one of the hottest women on the planet. Now she is like an over made up aunt that is aiming to land those "young studs". You could almost smell the excessive perfume wafting from the screen.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #530
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I would be a fan of the Redskins signing McFadden for a week given their RB situation right now and their next opponent being Dallas.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #531
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Shania Twain in her prime was astonishingly hot. I believe she was the most downloaded woman on the internet at one point (along with Lois & Clark era Teri Hatcher).
Old 11-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #532
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I would be a fan of the Redskins signing McFadden for a week given their RB situation right now and their next opponent being Dallas.

I wish him well in retirement.

Great AR running back. He had an okay NFL career, wish it was more but still better than many others.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #533
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
What's probably going to happen is Fox will be fired and the McCaskey's will Pace enough money to hire Jeff Fisher and Brian Shottenheimer.
I hope that was tongue-in-cheek or it will be another in a long list of coaching mistakes. Thank God for the Browns or the Bears would be the worst managed team in the NFL. Pace basically saved his own ass by drafting a QB that needs time to "develop". This is the same guy who signed Glennon for 18 mil this year. Didn't GMs learn from the Matt Flynn and Brock Osweiler debacles? I have no confidence that Pace can assess QB talent. Or any other position save RB.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #534
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ed Hochuli could kick my ass.

Tonight with whatever he is wearing under his jacket he looks like the fucking Hulk. Not that he doesn't on a normal day, just more so tonight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #535
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

How is Green Bay competitive in this game?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #536
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How is Green Bay competitive in this game?

The typical way overmatched teams stay close. Turnovers and big plays on offense.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #537
MrBug708
Head Coach

What's the NFL rule on helmet to helmet? Brett Hundley got hit pretty hard helmet to helmet
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #538
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola,

That catch by Brown was incredible
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #539
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Don't look now, but if the Giants beat the Raiders in week 13, the Colts beat the Bills in week 14, and the charter planes for at least 20 other teams explode in week 15, the Browns still have a shot at the playoffs.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #540
bhlloy
Coordinator

Rooting for the Steelers but by my count, they had two flags picked up on the last two drives plus the most obvious helmet to helmet roughing the passer call you will ever see that was missed?

NFL can obviously sell the Killer B's in the playoffs better than they can Hundley and Jamaal Williams, clearly (tongue in cheek) - but that was some seriously one sided officiating
Old 11-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #541
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - really not sure what the Niners are doing with Garoppolo, they are 1-9, it's not like putting a QB in who doesn't fully know the playbook is going to sink your season.

You dealt a decent amount for him, presumably to see if he's going to be your starter or you still need to target a QB next year, and you've had him sit behind a guy who is clearly backup caliber at best? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Looks like Beathard might be injured so their hand might be forced moving forward, but I still don't really understand the value of having him not start this week.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #542
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
DOLA - really not sure what the Niners are doing with Garoppolo, they are 1-9, it's not like putting a QB in who doesn't fully know the playbook is going to sink your season.

You dealt a decent amount for him, presumably to see if he's going to be your starter or you still need to target a QB next year, and you've had him sit behind a guy who is clearly backup caliber at best? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Looks like Beathard might be injured so their hand might be forced moving forward, but I still don't really understand the value of having him not start this week.

He's going to be their starter next year. I don't think there's any question. Putting him out there to be more competitive this year isn't necessarily helping anyone. It's probably better to give him a few weeks to get comfortable with the offense and get to know his teammates a little. I think the rush to get the new shiny toy out on the field is a big part of the NFL's issue with developing QBs.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 AM   #543
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The offensive line is terrible and injured simultaneously right now as well. Beathard was hit 14 times today before he was hurt.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #544
bhlloy
Coordinator

He may be their guy for next year and he future, but if that’s locked in you are passing up a pick in a QB heavy draft for a guy you’ve seen play 4-5 games for your team and has really only had mop up duty for the best team in the league other than that.

Putting him in ASAP probably makes them less competitive because of the familiarity, but they are already 1-9 so who cares? You want to get as long a look at him as you can this year IMO. Otherwise you are rolling the dice he’s not another in a long line of backups who looked decent in spot duty and were nowhere near a franchise QB when they got the chance.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 AM   #545
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm personally in that line of thought as well, but I can see their reasoning.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #546
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thoughts on Saints/Rams:

(1) Rams have great fundamentals. Several times, a Saints' player had the ball with one tackle to break to get a first down, and (other than Kamara), he never broke the tackle. Wade Phillips is the man.

(2) When the Rams got the ball with a little time left in the 1st half, I actually thought "Oh, cool. We'll probably get to see a 60+ yard attempt." And we did. You know your kicker is good when other fans hope to see him try from 60+.

(3) It might be that Tavon Austin sets other things up that I'm missing. But I think that the (already amazing) Rams offense could be 5% better if they didn't waste plays trying to get him the ball in gimmicky ways. As a fan of the opposing team, I'm much happier when he gets the ball on some funky misdirection screen than when they just hand it to Gurley.

(4) Trading Brandin Cooks got the Saints Ramczyk, so I'm happy with it. But Snead falling off the face of the Earth means the Saints have one WR above replacement level right now. Double Michael Thomas, and Brees has no one to whom to throw.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #547
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Probably bout as much as Michael Crabtree
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #548
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Austin got more plays this week since Woods was out. At the start of the year, I believe he was the #3 or 4 WR. Outside of gimmick plays, I cannot think of the last time his number was dialed up on a play. It’s gotten to the point that if you see TA out there, you know it is likely to be a gadget play.

To have a coach like McVay and not be able to get anything going is an indictment regarding your work ethic.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #549
QuikSand
lolzcat

Austin already got PAID, he's obviously uninterested.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #550
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Before Woods' injury put Austin in his role yesterday, his primary use has actually been as a backup RB this year, in a Ty Montgomery sort of way.

I'm pretty sure the Rams are just biding their time waiting for when they will be able to release him with as small an amount of future dead money as they can afford.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote