Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #501
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I can't help but feel like A-Rod has a golden opportunity to make up some ground in the public eye with this HR/Bonus thing. If he were to go after the Yankees for the money and then donate it to charity or something, that would be fantastic.

Doing something foolish and donating the money worked out SO well for lebron.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-03-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #502
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Doing something foolish and donating the money worked out SO well for lebron.

Are you saying ARod going after the money is foolish? What PR bridge has he not burned thus far? Huge difference between Lebron and ARod.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #503
JeeberD
General Manager

So how 'bout them Astros? Best record in the AL, half game behind the best record in baseball, 3rd best run differential, most home runs in baseball. This feels so good after the misery of the last few seasons...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #504
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
So how 'bout them Astros? Best record in the AL, half game behind the best record in baseball, 3rd best run differential, most home runs in baseball. This feels so good after the misery of the last few seasons...

Unfortunately, the Pads caught the hot Astros at home at a bad time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #505
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

yankees have confirmed they are not going to pay the 6M and say everything we think we know about the contract is wrong. so.... yeah

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #506
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jung Ho Kang hits his first major league homer to send the pirates game into extra innings.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #507
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Glad to see the Royals already have a split secured halfway through the series with the Tigers.

The battle between Cabrera and Herrera in the 8th inning was epic. So fun to watch.

Glad to see the Tigers battle back and take the split on the road against K.C.

Nice to see Sanchez finally do well. The Tigers can't rely on Simon and Green to be who they were the first couple of weeks of the season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #508
lungs
Pro Rookie

Ron Roenicke is the first manager to go. Odd timing after a series win but they made the decision before the series. Sounds like Craig Counsell will be taking over.

Was never a huge fan of Roenicke's tactics, but I've long ago given up on being a fan of a manager's game decisions since they all do the same thing anyway.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #509
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Ron Roenicke is the first manager to go. Odd timing after a series win but they made the decision before the series. Sounds like Craig Counsell will be taking over.

Was never a huge fan of Roenicke's tactics, but I've long ago given up on being a fan of a manager's game decisions since they all do the same thing anyway.

Yeah isn't he a part of the "bat the pitcher 8th" group? Used to bug me about LaRussa (along with using pitchers for one out like L/R matters against a .230 hitter) but unfortunately the Cardinals were good enough that he could claim the pitcher 8th strategy worked. I think Joe Madden uses it as well. Why not just lead off with the pitcher?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #510
MrBug708
Head Coach

JP Howell with early nod for defensive play of the year yesterday with a behind the back sliding tag at home
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #511
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah isn't he a part of the "bat the pitcher 8th" group? Used to bug me about LaRussa (along with using pitchers for one out like L/R matters against a .230 hitter) but unfortunately the Cardinals were good enough that he could claim the pitcher 8th strategy worked. I think Joe Madden uses it as well. Why not just lead off with the pitcher?

Roenicke did do that a little bit a few years ago but hasn't messed around with it since. Maddon definitely uses it, he was batting the pitcher 8th this past weekend.

Roenicke's most fireable offense was starting Mark Kotsay in CF in the 2011 NLCS against the Cardinals
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #512
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Glad to see the Tigers battle back and take the split on the road against K.C.

Nice to see Sanchez finally do well. The Tigers can't rely on Simon and Green to be who they were the first couple of weeks of the season.

It was a fun series to watch. They're likely the two best teams in the AL (sorry Houston) and they played like it in all four games.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They're likely the two best teams in the AL (sorry Houston) and they played like it in all four games.

Way too early to say this. I'm guessing at least one of these teams will not be one of the best two in the league, and probably both, by the end of the season. It's May (and early May).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-04-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #514
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

The idea is that your 1-4 hitters are going to be much more talented than your 6-8 place hitters, so you want to maximize the number of opportunities your best hitters have to come to the plate with runners on base. Statistically speaking, it's actually a sound strategy.

Edit: Some not-quite-scientific analysis.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-04-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #515
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Way too early to say this. I'm guessing at least one of these teams will not be one of the best two in the league, and probably both, by the end of the season. It's May (and early May).

There's a lot of mediocre baseball teams in the AL right now, so there's not much to choose from as far as the best. There's only four teams more than a game above .500. Houston's entire division is under .500.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #516
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a lot of mediocre baseball teams in the AL right now, so there's not much to choose from as far as the best. There's only four teams more than a game above .500. Houston's entire division is under .500.

Okay, if your statement is "the best two teams in the AL right now", then I can buy that. Or playing the best right now.

But I'm not far enough into the season to make any bold statements myself about what teams are the best in the AL.

For instance, if I recall right, the Royals didn't get off to a great start last year, and they went to the World Series. The Angels were a .500 team on May 1 last year and ended up with the best record in baseball.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-04-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #517
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Okay, if your statement is "the best two teams in the AL right now", then I can buy that. Or playing the best right now.

But I'm not far enough into the season to make any bold statements myself about what teams are the best in the AL.

For instance, if I recall right, the Royals didn't get off to a great start last year, and they went to the World Series. The Angels were a .500 team on May 1 last year and ended up with the best record in baseball.

Yes, it was intended as 'right now'.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #518
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

Go Stros! Nolan must be laughing his ass off every day.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #519
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

And the Brewers looked unstoppable.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #520
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Giants were 42-21 on June 8th. They finished the season 46-53. It turned out ok for them.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #521
Grover
Pro Starter

Rocco Baldelli being the Rays 1st Base Coach makes me smile.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #522
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This years Cardinals team has been a blast to watch each night!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #523
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Rocco Baldelli being the Rays 1st Base Coach makes me smile.

ping 'things that make you feel old' thread
Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 AM   #524
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The idea is that your 1-4 hitters are going to be much more talented than your 6-8 place hitters, so you want to maximize the number of opportunities your best hitters have to come to the plate with runners on base. Statistically speaking, it's actually a sound strategy.

I think, ideally, you'd get someone with a .400 OBP to be your #9 hitter. Wouldn't matter how well or how poorly they hit for average as long as they were good at drawing walks. Get that extra baserunner for your top 3 hitters, so you can treat your 1-3 as if they were 2-4 guys for most of the game without sacrificing the 15-20 PA they gain each season batting a little higher in the lineup.

Thing is, though, over the course of 162 games that's not much of a marginal benefit. If you HAVE a player who gives you great defense and a .400 OBP but isn't much of a hitter otherwise, absolutely - bat the pitcher 8th.

Use him to maximize the value of your best players. If you don't have that guy, you aren't gaining much by batting the pitcher 8th.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:52 AM   #525
SackAttack
Head Coach

dola, think late-career Rickey Henderson. Hit in the .220s, but had an OBP in the .350s and even still had a little tread left on the tires as a base stealer. I mean, yeah, it sounds goofy to say "give me the Hall of Famer to bat 9th," but that's kind of the offensive profile I'd want to bat the pitcher 8th on a regular basis. .200/.350/.300.

Brandon Crawford is a guy I'd try it with, if his OBP is sustainable. .235/.347 with a little pop? Sure. Swap him with the pitcher (it looks like most of his starts this year have been in the 8 hole).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #526
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Honest question (I don't know the answer) Did Madden bat his worst batter 8th last year for the Rays? If so at least he is consistent and I will give him some credence for his pitcher 8th strategy with the Cubs. If not than he just seems like one of those managers (like LaRussa) who think they are smarter than everyone else.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #527
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bryce Harper is having himself a day
Old 05-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #528
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn, no kidding!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #529
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Bryce Harper is having himself a day

I was waffling on whether to pick him for the early slate for daily fantasy. Thank god I picked him. He's up to 44 points on DK with 2 more at bats left.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #530
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I was waffling on whether to pick him for the early slate for daily fantasy. Thank god I picked him. He's up to 44 points on DK with 2 more at bats left.

I have him in Fandual. I was also waffling as there was rain in the forecast. Glad I took him.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #531
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You can fire Dusty Baker, but you can't fire his lineups!

Coming into tonight's game the Reds leadoff hitters had a combined .233 OBP.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #532
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Baseball can be a strange game. Coming into the series, the Astros had won 10 straight and the Rangers were the last team in baseball without consecutive wins. So of course the Rangers get the three game sweep.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 AM   #533
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Like the Padres being the most prolific offense in baseball and being shut out for 18 straight innings. Then of course today happened. Blech.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:54 AM   #534
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets get back on the saddle. After losing consecutive 1-0 games they take 2 from Baltimore as DeGrom and Colon were both lights out.

I really have faith in this team this year, with the starting pitching they roll out every day there aren't going to be any long losing streaks.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #535
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mets get back on the saddle. After losing consecutive 1-0 games they take 2 from Baltimore as DeGrom and Colon were both lights out.

I really have faith in this team this year, with the starting pitching they roll out every day there aren't going to be any long losing streaks.

I'm not entirely sure how to do this hope thing though .

(like, I'm always waiting for the bottom to drop out somehow)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #536
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Interesting little rule question from last night's softball game. Bases loaded, no outs, pop up near first. Infield Fly rule called, but on the way down the ball hit the runner standing on first base and rolled into the dugout. Do the runners automatically advance a base?
Spoiler
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #537
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Interesting little rule question from last night's softball game. Bases loaded, no outs, pop up near first. Infield Fly rule called, but on the way down the ball hit the runner standing on first base and rolled into the dugout. Do the runners automatically advance a base?

My interpretation of the boldface rule is that if the fielder makes an attempt to field the ball and the runner does not interfere, the ball is live and the runner is not out regardless of whether they are on the base or not.

From the rule book:

Quote:
The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when --
(a) A pitched ball touches a batter, or his clothing, while in his legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance;
(b) The plate umpire interferes with the catcher’s throw; runners may not advance.
NOTE: The interference shall be disregarded if the catcher’s throw retires the runner.
(c) A balk is committed; runners advance; (See Penalty 8.05).
(d) A ball is illegally batted; runners return;
(e) A foul ball is not caught; runners return. The umpire shall not put the ball in play until all runners have retouched their bases;
(f) A fair ball touches a runner or an umpire on fair territory before it touches an infielder including the pitcher, or touches an umpire before it has passed an infielder other than the pitcher;
Rule 5.09(f) Comment: If a fair ball touches an umpire working in the infield after it has bounded past, or over, the pitcher, it is a dead ball. If a batted ball is deflected by a fielder in fair territory and hits a runner or an umpire while still in flight and then is caught by an infielder it shall not be a catch, but the ball shall remain in play. If a fair ball goes through, or by, an infielder, and touches a runner immediately back of him, or touches a runner after being deflected by an infielder, the ball is in play and the umpire shall not declare the runner out. In making such decision the umpire must be convinced that the ball passed through, or by, the infielder and that no other infielder had the chance to make a play on the ball; runners advance, if forced;
(g) A pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, runners advance one base;
Rule 5.09(g) Comment: If a foul tip hits the umpire and is caught by a fielder on the rebound, the ball is “dead” and the batsman cannot be called out. The same shall apply where such foul tip lodges in the umpire’s mask or other paraphernalia.
If a third strike (not a foul tip) passes the catcher and hits an umpire, the ball is in play. If such ball rebounds and is caught by a fielder before it touches the ground, the batsman is not out on such a catch, but the ball remains in play and the batsman may be retired at first base, or touched with the ball for the out.
If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, on the third strike or fourth ball, then the batter is entitled to first base and all runners advance one base. If the count on the batter is less than three balls, runners advance one base.
(h) Any legal pitch touches a runner trying to score; runners advance.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #538
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I don't think the runner is protected while on base. MLB rules call a runner any offensive player who is advancing toward, or touching, or returning to any base. If the runner gets hit by the ball on the way down (and they are the first player to touch the ball), they are out.

edit: something similar came up in a game the other night. It was a ground ball, not a popup. The player running to second saw that it was likely going to be fielded by the 2nd baseman for a double play, so he held up and let the ball hit him. He was called out, and the batter got to stay on first. It was a novel way of breaking up the double play. But that was also MLB, softball might have a different rule.

Last edited by cartman : 05-08-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #539
Easy Mac

From Rule 7.08

Quote:
7.08 Any runner is out when—...

He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an
infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except
runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his base when
touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out;
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #540
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
From Rule 7.08

Good find!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #541
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
My interpretation of the boldface rule is that if the fielder makes an attempt to field the ball and the runner does not interfere, the ball is live and the runner is not out regardless of whether they are on the base or not.

From the rule book:
Yeah, we all agreed that batter was out, runner was not, but the question is whether that ball is still live and what the first baseman is supposed to do. I mean, it's men's league softball so (most) people aren't trying to be dicks, but in the unlikely event that happens again I guess he's supposed to knock the runner down or out of the way. Just seemed like a very unique situation that might be worth a rule book tweak (if an infield fly hits a runner standing on a base, ball is dead and no advance.)

Edit - And EasyMac found it already.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-08-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #542
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Rule 7.08(f)

(f) He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his base when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out;
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #543
cartman
Death Herald

Easy Mac with the definitive answer. There is an exception for the infield fly rule.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #545
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Though I find the next sentence in that rule amusing...

Rule 7.08(f) Comment: If two runners are touched by the same fair ball, only the first one is out because the ball is instantly dead.

I want to see a play where a batted ball hits two different runners before anyone else.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #546
cartman
Death Herald

I can see why the rule is that way. If the infield fly was in the vicinity of a bag, that puts the runner in a bad spot. If he moves off of the bag to avoid touching the ball, he runs the risk of the fielder intentionally dropping the ball and tagging him out. But I do admit I don't ever think I've seen that rule come into play.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #547
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Though I find the next sentence in that rule amusing...

Rule 7.08(f) Comment: If two runners are touched by the same fair ball, only the first one is out because the ball is instantly dead.

I want to see a play where a batted ball hits two different runners before anyone else.
We've all seen balls hit off a pitcher's knee/shin/even head hard enough to ricochet to the outfield, so I suppose a runner advancing from first to second could be hit by a hard grounder or liner at just the right angle it goes near a runner advancing from 2nd to 3rd.

What does happen to the other runners if one is hit by a batted ball? Do they get the advance or is it up to the umpires discretion?
Old 05-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #548
Easy Mac

Runner one is out, ball is dead after it hits him/her.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #549
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Runner one is out, ball is dead after it hits him/her.
I'm just asking in general, not for that weird scenario where 2 runners are hit.

If the bases are loaded, no outs, and a ball hits the runner between 1st and 2nd, he's out no question and the ball is dead, but where do the other runners go? Presumably they're between 2 bases, and if they automatically go to the next one you could get a situation like that broken up non-DP from last night where a trailing runner let's himself get hit instead of letting the defense cut down the lead runner going home.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #550
Easy Mac

Everyone returns to their base, batter goes to first.