Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #501
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Arles spent most of October lecturing us on how Puig was doing things the wrong way

To be 100% fair here, based off of everything I've seen and read, the Dodgers organization and many of his teammates don't think he's doing things the right way either.

By all accounts, he took the team meeting earlier this year well and has vowed to pay more attention to the details of the game. We all should hope he does so he can become the superstar he can be. But Arles was and is not alone in thinking Puig doesn't quite get it yet.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #502
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

I've been to 17 Major League stadiums and numerous other minor league stadiums. (including a Dodgers/Cardinals playoff game in LA last year) The worst experiences I've had with home fans was the LA Dodgers fans. (At the playoff game I saw one guys get into a fight with a cop, and countless others talking smack to Cardinals fans after a game in which the Dodgers lost. It was horrible)

Where'd you sit? I went to Dodger Stadium last year for a series and couldn't have had a more pleasant experience. But I was also sitting in season ticket seats from a contractor my uncles's company works with.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #503
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Actually I thought of a great question for you Butter. My cousins went to Ohio State and can't stand the use of "THE Ohio State University" and get mad when people associate that with the entire fanbase. Are you a "THE Ohio State" guy? If not, why not?

No, because it makes us look like jackasses. However, I have long since made my peace with the fact that it does so... I neither apologize for my fandom nor do I feel the need to refute anyone when they say it's fucking annoying. Because it is, but I can also separate that they are not necessarily talking about me when they lump all Ohio State fans together. It's a comfortable shorthand that lots of people use when referencing sports fans.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #504
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
To be 100% fair here, based off of everything I've seen and read, the Dodgers organization and many of his teammates don't think he's doing things the right way either.

By all accounts, he took the team meeting earlier this year well and has vowed to pay more attention to the details of the game. We all should hope he does so he can become the superstar he can be. But Arles was and is not alone in thinking Puig doesn't quite get it yet.

Agreed. There is a lot of work to do, but that is more effort based than "playing the game the wrong way"
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #505
MrBug708
Head Coach

There are a lot of bad elements at Dodger stadium. Having moderately priced tickets in a major city has created the feel. The Lakers avoid this issue by raising ticket prices so games are infinitely more "classy" when the fans are generally the same pool of people
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #506
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
No, because it makes us look like jackasses. However, I have long since made my peace with the fact that it does so... I neither apologize for my fandom nor do I feel the need to refute anyone when they say it's fucking annoying. Because it is, but I can also separate that they are not necessarily talking about me when they lump all Ohio State fans together. It's a comfortable shorthand that lots of people use when referencing sports fans.

Fair enough. I probably just need to ignore it but the issue was Matt Adams and a fan. And you were actually a cooler head that said it was basically nothing but that was after a number of mocking classy/cardinal way references by others. It would be like every discussion involving Ohio State had to also throw in a jibe about "THE". It's lazy. But you are right it helps just to not enter the fray the same lazy jokes will be made and they can mutually masterbate each other on their hilarious takes on the "Cardinal Way".

Last edited by panerd : 04-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #507
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
But you are right it helps just to not enter the fray the same lazy jokes will be made and they can mutually masterbate each other on their hilarious takes on the "Cardinal Way".

Take a note from MizzouRah and just laugh about it instead of getting defensive. Go ahead and call the Brewers fan base fat, drunk and stupid when I make similar comments. You'll get no argument from me because I've been to Miller Park enough times that my fellow fans are indeed fat, drunk, and stupid in many cases (myself included).

It's OK to laugh at yourself once in a while.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #508
TroyF
Coordinator

Back on topic to the field a little bit. Everyone blasts the ten plus year contracts to 30 year old players. Well, keeping the years down doesn't mean you are out of the woods either.

What the hell are the Braves going to do with BJ Upton for the next 4 years? He signed a 5 year 70+ million dollar deal. He's just starting the second year of that deal and I am really struggling to figure out why he's in the lineup. Oh yeah, he had a good spring. Ummmm, you hit .184, shouldn't you have to prove you can hit lower in the order first?

This guy is terrible.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #509
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The Braves are also stuck with Dan Uggla as well who can't the broad side of a barn.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 04-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #510
TroyF
Coordinator

I know Braves fans get this, but this was a BJ Upton at bat I just watched:

Strike one - good pitch by the pitcher, on the corner, low and away.
Strike two - BJ swings at a pitch 3 feet outside the zone and one foot low. You might have guess by that description he never came close to contacting the ball. You'd be right.
Ball one - They throw up a ground ball hoping he'll swing, he doesn't.
Ball two - Throw one 3 feet outside. Surprisingly, BJ takes it
Foul Ball - On a 2-2 count, Zimmerman makes a horrible mistake pitch. He throws a breaking ball over the plate, waist high. BJ fouls it straight back.
Strike three - They go back to what works. Throw is three feet outside and BJ swings.

What a sensational at bat.

Then Desmond leads off the next inning with a shot down the left field line, the other Upton throws his hands up because the ball is caught right under the fence. It isn't stuck or held up. He doesn't even try to get it. He throws his hands up expecting the umps to stop the play. Desmond runs around for an inside the park homer. The Braves complain, the umps confer and they decide to give him the home run. The Braves are now challenging the play. I'm not sure how this gets overturned unless a fan touched it in some way. It doesn't look like the ball was stuck or lost at any point. I could be wrong about the rules though.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #511
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Back on topic to the field a little bit. Everyone blasts the ten plus year contracts to 30 year old players. Well, keeping the years down doesn't mean you are out of the woods either.

He signed a 5 year 70+ million dollar deal. He's just starting the second year of that deal and I am really struggling to figure out why he's in the lineup.

You answered your own question.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #512
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Strike two - BJ swings at a pitch 3 feet outside the zone and one foot low. You might have guess by that description he never came close to contacting the ball. You'd be right.
Foul Ball - On a 2-2 count, Zimmerman makes a horrible mistake pitch. He throws a breaking ball over the plate, waist high. BJ fouls it straight back.
Strike three - They go back to what works. Throw is three feet outside and BJ swings.

Then Desmond leads off the next inning with a shot down the left field line, the other Upton throws his hands up because the ball is caught right under the fence. It isn't stuck or held up. He doesn't even try to get it. He throws his hands up expecting the umps to stop the play. Desmond runs around for an inside the park homer. The Braves complain, the umps confer and they decide to give him the home run. The Braves are now challenging the play. I'm not sure how this gets overturned unless a fan touched it in some way. It doesn't look like the ball was stuck or lost at any point. I could be wrong about the rules though.

I cannot here the name Upton without laughing at this:

Come on. THAT'S funny!

...plus, it seems appropriate for your comments.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #513
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I went to a Dodgers game a few years back and I found the Dodger fan next to me to be obnoxious. He posts here as MrBug708.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #514
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Your post got me excited since I have Desmond in a fantasy league. Checking over the stats apperently they did find a way to overrule it.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #515
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I went to a Dodgers game a few years back and I found the Dodger fan next to me to be obnoxious. He posts here as MrBug708.

I had that problem with an NCAA Championship Soccer match ages ago
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #516
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

To be honest, this at-bat doesn't sound that awful. One really bad decision (swinging at the first 3 feet outside pitch), one just missed it (fouled straight back) and one hard to defend swing that's easier to understand with two strikes on him. He did well not to swing at the first, third and fourth pitches, and simply didn't execute on the one good pitch he got all at bat.

I know this probably isn't the case all the time, but I'd have to imagine he has had far worse at bats than this.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #517
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Your post got me excited since I have Desmond in a fantasy league. Checking over the stats apperently they did find a way to overrule it.

Yes, they decided the ball stopped and was therefore lodged. Desmond ran out to second, and on the third or fourth pitch decided to steal third, changed his mind and got caught in a rundown. Oops
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #518
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
To be honest, this at-bat doesn't sound that awful. One really bad decision (swinging at the first 3 feet outside pitch), one just missed it (fouled straight back) and one hard to defend swing that's easier to understand with two strikes on him. He did well not to swing at the first, third and fourth pitches, and simply didn't execute on the one good pitch he got all at bat.

I know this probably isn't the case all the time, but I'd have to imagine he has had far worse at bats than this.

Zimmerman never had to give him that mistake pitch. He makes that pitch the one three feet outside he strikes him out.

The pitcher generally doesn't win the entire at bat by throwing one quality pitch. Zimmerman did. One pitch at the start and he didn't have to come within three feet of the plate again. The fact he did was a mistake on his part, not a great at bat by Upton.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #519
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #520
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Puig sitting today because he was late to the game. Kemp gets the start instead.

Edit: Also, I am really enjoying the beginning of this Giants / Dodgers game.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

When will runners learn that they shouldn't try to advance an extra base when the ball is hit to Alex Gordon???? It's almost comical anymore.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #522
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Andre Either walk off iirc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I had that problem with an NCAA Championship Soccer match ages ago
Disappointing loss to Indiana
Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #523
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Disappointing loss to Indiana

Yeah. It was a great time, but the game was a bummer. Especially because the Gauchos played a better game than the Hoosiers did. They ended up winning it all in '06 though, over UCLA, so I can't complain too much
Old 04-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #524
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

and the first big replay call changes the outcome of a game.

Mets down 3-2 get the lead runner on, sac bunt but the catcher goes to second and the call is out. Umps go to the replay and overturn it. So instead of man on 1st and one out its 1st and 2nd no outs. Next guy walks,Ike Davis hits a walk off grand slam. Ballgame.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #525
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
and the first big replay call changes the outcome of a game.

Mets down 3-2 get the lead runner on, sac bunt but the catcher goes to second and the call is out. Umps go to the replay and overturn it. So instead of man on 1st and one out its 1st and 2nd no outs. Next guy walks,Ike Davis hits a walk off grand slam. Ballgame.

Did they get it right?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #526
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bruce Chen is just amazing to watch. One at-bat, he blows a guy away with an 85 MPH fastball. Next at-bat, he gets a guy to pop-up on a 62 MPH curve. Makes it look so easy.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #527
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did they get it right?

Yes. Brutal call even in regular speed live.

Last edited by Logan : 04-05-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #528
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did they get it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yes. Brutal call even in regular speed live.

yeah. I was watching the Reds broadcast and even their announcers were saying how bad a call it was.

Going to a bbq later, will be sporting my Mets jersey
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #529
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah. I was watching the Reds broadcast and even their announcers were saying how bad a call it was.

Going to a bbq later, will be sporting my Mets jersey

What was weird about it is it was the type of call where you'd normally see the ump make the call in the other direction, because the runner clearly beat the throw and if there was any doubt, it was whether his foot came off the bag (which would have taken away the force) or came up short of the bag as he slid.

BTW it was actually Votto that threw to second, the catcher was pointing for him to go to first.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #530
cougarfreak
College Starter

Sweet kick to the nuts the Reds took today. They need to get their head out of the ass.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #531
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think they'll be this bad for long, but the basic flaws of the team are in the DNA. They don't have enough hitting and the bullpen isn't very good with their best arms on the DL.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #532
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think they'll be this bad for long, but the basic flaws of the team are in the DNA. They don't have enough hitting and the bullpen isn't very good with their best arms on the DL.

Yeah, I'm hearing gripes on the bullpen. People need to realize the THREE best bullpen arms aren't there. I'm not real bullish on Broxton or Marshall coming back though.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #533
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Yeah, I'm hearing gripes on the bullpen. People need to realize the THREE best bullpen arms aren't there. I'm not real bullish on Broxton or Marshall coming back though.

The bullpen isn't the problem -- 13 runs in 5 games.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #534
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The bullpen isn't the problem -- 13 runs in 5 games.

The Braves have only scored 14 runs in 5 games, but are 4-1.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #535
TroyF
Coordinator

Bottom 10 players in WAR after a week include: Bryce Harper, Ryan Braun, Allen Craig, Josh Donaldson, Daniel Nava, and Mike Moustakas.

Top guy in all of baseball so far? None other than Charlie Blackmon of the Rockies.

Stars include Josh Hamilton, Utley, Freeman, Trout, Cargo and Stanton.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #536
Butter
Coordinator

Reds with some really frustrating moves in the game yesterday, like:

Bunting over Hamilton from 2nd to 3rd with Phillips, the 2nd batter of the game. Pretty much telegraphing that you don't trust your offense to score more than 1 or 2 runs, and then the run didn't even get around from there.

Then having Brayan Pena running on Yadier Molina to erase a base runner in the 7th inning of a 3-1 game.

Great stuff.

As I recall last year, the Reds also started out crappy but also played some very difficult teams in April before the schedule eased up a bit. Same appears to go for this year. Except for the Mets, I still can't figure out losing on a walkoff grand slam.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #537
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #538
Suicane75
Coordinator

Can any Angel fan explain to me why Josh Hamilton was pinch hit for in the 9th inning last night with IAN STEWART?

Last edited by Suicane75 : 04-09-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #539
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Thought he got hurt last night?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #540
Suicane75
Coordinator

Oh ok. I assumed there was a legit reason.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #541
korme
Go Reds

The Reds stink.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #542
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This goes on too long, but it's great.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #543
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Oh ok. I assumed there was a legit reason.

Yup. Jammed his thumb going head first into first base, I think? I don't know for sure, didn't see it. I'm crossing my fingers he's okay.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #544
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Mayyyyyybe wanna change where you launch those fireworks, Braves.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #545
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fantastic catch by Escobar.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #546
TroyF
Coordinator

Billy Hamilton with a nice 2/2 start today. He's now got a 200 point lead on BJ Upton in OPS.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #547
korme
Go Reds

Billy can really make a difference if he gets on base. The Reds had no business scoring a run last inning. But here's what transpired:

1. He led off the 5th with a single.
2. Stole 2nd, Yadier Molina didn't even throw down.
3. Phillips hits a short fly ball to a charging Jon Jay. I would say 99.5% of base runners don't try to advance, Billy does, he's safe.
4. With Billy on third, Jay Bruce hits a pop up outside of the infield to Kolten Wong. Jon Jay, charging from RF, calls Wong off. Billy tags up and scores relatively easily.

No runner in the bigs challenges that pop up, except for Billy. It was pretty fucking cool to watch. Hope there's a gif/video up soon.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #548
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Ask and you shall receive - all his baserunning from that sequence

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/4/9...st-steals-reds
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #549
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Ask and you shall receive - all his baserunning from that sequence

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/4/9...st-steals-reds

I hope there's enough OMGHAMILTON! moments this season to dull the pain of not making the playoffs.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #550
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
The Reds stink.

I wonder what Dusty's doing? Price might be gone by the All-Star break the way things are going.