Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #501
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Dempsey again.

only bad thing id much rather see Guatemala in the hex than jamaica
I'm with Big Fo on this one - even if it lowers our chances (and I don't really think it does), Guatemala losing is a good thing. They are the dirtiest, cheapest team in international soccer.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #502
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So.. today's a VERY important day for EPL fans in the US, as it's the deadline for bids for the EPL rights starting in 2013-14. Here's some information about it

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...PL-Rights.aspx

So we have the following confirmed bidders:

NBC
ESPN
FOX

Possible Bidders
IMG
Discovery (!)
BeIN Sports

Notes from the article

A) It sounds like ESPN and Fox are in jointly again

B) NBC's bid was weakened by the fact they are going to lose some possible EPL window time due to an upcoming agreement with Formula 1

C) IMG would solely be in the game to sublicense games to networks

D) There's a lot of thought that BeIN Sports will have problems convincing EPL that they will properly feature the league with being stuck on sports tiers, and limited windows available with Serie A/La Liga rights already on hand

E) Discovery's interest is a hail mary to possibly try to increase viewership at some of their knock-off channels, like Velocity. Unknown how really serious they are.

My prediction

Unless BeINSports found a way to promise the EPL the moon and the stars with regards to carriage AND promotion of the EPL.. (oh, and backed up several brinks trucks to it), if ESPN and Fox are in with a joint bid, they have it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #503
miami_fan
Coordinator

No one watching Champions League games?

Dortmund v Real Madrid with two beautiful goals in two minutes.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #504
Grover
Pro Starter

Holy crap, Ajax!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #505
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Dortmund

Ajax
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #506
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Ajax

Saw this posted elsewhere

Ajax team tonight:

Kenneth Vermeer 26, youth product (joined aged 13)
Toby Alderweireld 23, youth product (joined academy aged 15)
Niklas Moisander 26, signed for £3.25m from AZ Alkmaar in 2012 (previously of Ajax reserves)
Daley Blind, son of Ajax legend Danny, 22, youth product (joined age eight)
Christian Poulsen, 32, signed free from Evian in 2012
Christian Eriksen, 20, youth product signed from Odense for 800k aged 16 in 2008
Siem de Jong, 23, youth product (joined academy aged 16)
Tobias Sana, 23 cost £285k from Gothenburg in 2012
Lasse Schöne, 26, signed free from NEC in 2012
Ricardo van Rhijn 21, youth product (joined aged 12)
Ryan Babel, 25, youth product joined aged 12 in 1998. Sold to Liverpool for £11.5m aged 20 in 2007 but re-signed in 2012

So a whole team signed for under £5mil and they made Man City look ordinary.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #507
Grover
Pro Starter

lol Ryan Babel.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #508
bhlloy
Coordinator

really lol Liverpool, considering they would give anything to have him back for the next 6 months
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #509
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

USA will host and compete in a combined Copa America in 2016, celebrating 100 years of CONEMBOL, the South American soccer federation:

Breakdown of teams

10 South American Teams
2 Guaranteed Bids (US/Mexico)
4 at-large North American bids (based on Gold Cup finish)
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #510
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm glad it's in an even year so the USA won't send a B-team like they did the last time USA competed in the Copa America (USA prioritzed the 2007 Gold Cup instead).
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #511
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm with Big Fo on this one - even if it lowers our chances (and I don't really think it does), Guatemala losing is a good thing. They are the dirtiest, cheapest team in international soccer.

FIFA bans Guatemalan match-fixing trio - ESPNFC
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #512
whomario
Pro Starter

Dortmund struggling in league a bit (loss in the derby to schalke last weekend was a bad one, alneit with injury trouble) but on track in the CL, first the awesome game at City and now this game against Real

also a cool pic :

no, that´s not a ballboy but 16 year old (born june ´96) Alan Halilovic who played in last nights CL match against PSG.

Anybody bought him in FM ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #513
whomario
Pro Starter

nice analysis to the Dortmund-Real game : Dortmund 2-1 Real Madrid: Dortmund press as a unit and expose Essien at left-back | Zonal Marking (great website in general)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #514
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

According to news, the FOX-ESPN joint bid has dropped out of the running for the 2013-16 EPL rights. This leaves the two primary bidders as NBCUniversal and BeIN Sports

Huge blow for Fox Soccer Channel. If I had to guess on impact, Fox Soccer is going to be caught up in the Fox rebranding, and Fox Soccer Plus will air any remaining soccer/rugby they keep
Old 10-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #515
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If BeIN Sport gets it, I imagine that station would be on most carriers by the time next season begins. But I still might rather have NBC get it so there are more games shown live on more stations (since BeIN Sport would have to find room for Serie A, Lique 1, La Liga, and the EPL there would be some games on tape delay).

Fox has the Champions League through the end of the 2014-5 season but other than that there won't be much left.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #516
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Other than the 18-22 world cups
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #517
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Huge blow for Fox Soccer Channel. If I had to guess on impact, Fox Soccer is going to be caught up in the Fox rebranding, and Fox Soccer Plus will air any remaining soccer/rugby they keep

Well put it this way I'll be cancelling the channel as soon as they don't carry English matches
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #518
Balldog
Pro Rookie

MLS needs to adjust its season so there last weekend of the season is as far away from the NFL and NCAAF as possible. I'd love to watch some matches but not over American football.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #519
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Well put it this way I'll be cancelling the channel as soon as they don't carry English matches

they may still have english... rugby that is.. does that count?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #520
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Another ex-Barca man joins City. This time it's Txiki Berigiristain, who will become the new Director of Football.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #521
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
MLS needs to adjust its season so there last weekend of the season is as far away from the NFL and NCAAF as possible. I'd love to watch some matches but not over American football.

I'm theoretically with you, but i just don't see how it's practical. As a mega-fan of the league, i think they are better off trying to appeal to soccer fans than american sports fans.

I hope one day they'll grow to be big enough that the other leagues will move out of the way on that one evening for the final.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #522
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Terrible call by the linesman denies Liverpool all 3 pts in their derby. No idea what he was looking at.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #523
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Terrible call by the linesman denies Liverpool all 3 pts in their derby. No idea what he was looking at.

I'm guessing at full speed he figured there was no way a guy got to the ball that much faster than the defenders. Nevertheless, a horrible call.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #524
Critch
lolzcat

Should have been a foul by Coates at the back post, I guess.

But with that and Arsenal's offside winner yesterday, a couple of linesmen errors.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #525
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Clattenberg still on United's books I see.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #526
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. Didn't think that was a dive and even if it was I've seen embellishments that have been a lot worse with no cards.

Chelsea down to 9 now.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #527
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Jesus Christ, I hate Man U. That was home cooking of the highest order on Torres red card; awful, awful refreeing for a game Chelsea were the better team in. Absoulte fucking bullshit.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #528
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Considering what an happen to people who piss off ultra-wealthy Russian oligarches, if I was Clattenburg, I wouldn't be ordering the soup anytime soon.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #529
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Huge win.

The second yellow was a bad call. Chicharito was offisde.

I don't really care though. I'll never feel guilty about a ref-aided win at Stamford Bridge, a ground where not only have Man Utd been robbed in multiple games in recent seasons but those decisions directly resulted in Man Utd finishing behind Chelsea in the league.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #530
kingfc22
Head Coach

Of course the horrible officiating did help Arsenal to go from 10 pts behind the leader to 7 after this weekend's action.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #531
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Huge win.

The second yellow was a bad call. Chicharito was offisde.

I don't really care though. I'll never feel guilty about a ref-aided win at Stamford Bridge, a ground where not only have Man Utd been robbed in multiple games in recent seasons but those decisions directly resulted in Man Utd finishing behind Chelsea in the league.

A Man U fan claiming they were robbed? Seriously, I just assumed paying the refrees is the one thing Fergie does out of his own salary. Beyond horseshit how lucky Man U got.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #532
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
A Man U fan claiming they were robbed? Seriously, I just assumed paying the refrees is the one thing Fergie does out of his own salary. Beyond horseshit how lucky Man U got.

I was talking about games that took place 3-4 years ago. This year's trip to Stamford Bridge was a little different.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #533
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

I was about to say the same thing. As an Arsenal fan, I watched them win on a horrific call yesterday. . . and I actually do feel bad about it, even if it's the one time in the last three years I feel the Gunners actually got a break from the refs.

BigFo probably doesn't feel bad, because if he did, he'd feel bad about six times a season. ManU was flat out given the game today. Horrible doesn't even describe the calls today.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #534
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Couldn't understand the Torres red, seemed obvious he was caught - yes he went down, but I felt he was doing it more to avoid clattering the covering defender as he was off balance at that point and probably unable to maneuver ... regardless definitely wasn't worthy of a sending off.

(the winning goal was offside seeing the replay - but it was bloody close and fast ... wouldn't have liked to have to give that call myself )
Old 10-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #535
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Chelsea accuse Clattenburg of using a racial slur.. Somehow I doubt it, considering all four officials are miced up with earphones for communication during the game (although it's not recorded), one would think that it would be fairly easily disproved. OF course, (says the cynical Foz), having made this charge towards Clattenburg, obviously he cannot judge Chelsea fairly and thus cannot ref their games.. (yes, I'm saying that I think this was a cynical charge)
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #536
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

NBC won the EPL rights in America.

Premier League signs two-year deal with NBC | Mail Online

The article says it's a 2-year deal, but the statement says "seasons 2013/14 - 2015/16" which would be 3 seasons.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #537
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I think Clattenburg's already demonstrated that he can't ref Chelsea games - or any kind of game, at least til he visits an optometrist. Though booking strikers for being kicked by Jonny Evans does seem to be standard policy for Premiership matches at Stamford Bridge.

Snark aside, it's hard to say whether the accusation is cynical with no clear idea of what Clattenburg's supposed to have said or who's claiming to have heard it. If the club sincerely believes that he said anything in the rumors I'm currently hearing, they absolutely had to ask for an investigation.

If they don't genuinely believe he said something, yeah, they're massively out of line in claiming otherwise.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #538
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
OF course, (says the cynical Foz), having made this charge towards Clattenburg, obviously he cannot judge Chelsea fairly and thus cannot ref their games.. (yes, I'm saying that I think this was a cynical charge)

If they could get Martin Atkinson every week, they'd win the league unbeaten.

One of the things they claim Clattenburg said was he called Torres a "Spanish twat". Edit - Or maybe it was Mata, couple of sources say Mata.

Last edited by Critch : 10-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #539
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
If they could get Martin Atkinson every week, they'd win the league unbeaten.

One of the things they claim Clattenburg said was he called Torres a "Spanish twat". Edit - Or maybe it was Mata, couple of sources say Mata.

This 'intruige' should be over pretty fast - the referee's are wired up and broadcast to the other officials so verifacation of what was said should be fairly quick .... or not as the case may be.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #540
bhlloy
Coordinator

About as much chance as one of the other officials telling the truth as there is of pigs flying... not commenting one way or the other on whether there's any truth to the allegations but it's hardly like the other parties involved are impartial in any way.

As for the actual allegation, if it is "Spanish Twat" that's kind of a grey area... he is Spanish, and he probably was being a twat (although it was a horrendous decision, I can understand why). Obviously it's very unprofessional and will probably get him a slap on the wrist, but it's going to be hard to say that it's derogatory. BBC is reporting that Jon Obi Mikel was also involved, so who knows what Chelsea are actually claiming was said.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #541
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I enjoyed reading this short piece on yesterday's game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Smyth of The Guardian

In recent times, a lot of hot air has been emitted regarding Manchester United's supposed preferential treatment from referees. Some lunatics genuinely believe there is an official conspiracy involving Sir Alex Ferguson, the FA, the CIA and Nasa. Their attitude will not have been changed by events at Stamford Bridge, yet the fuss over Sunday's game is misplaced, a convenient narrative that doesn't stand up to the most basic scrutiny. Fernando Torres should have been sent off long before his dubious second yellow card. Chelsea were not unlucky to be down to nine men; they were lucky not to be down to eight, because Mikel John Obi should have received a second yellow card for fouling Antonio Valencia. Chelsea were the better team at 2-2, but they were about to go 3-2 down when Branislav Ivanovic committed the foul for which he was correctly sent off.

And while Javier Hernández's winner was offside, United would probably have won the game anyway. Hernández's goal does not significantly impact on the balance sheet of refereeing mistakes in matches between United and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Since their previous league win at Stamford Bridge in April 2002 United have suffered a series of shocking decisions, most notably in 2002-03, 2007-08, 2009-10 and 2010-11. Two of those almost cost them the league; a couple of mistakes from Martin Atkinson in 2009-10 probably did cost them the title. They were due a decision at Stamford Bridge. They are due a few more before things can be said to have evened themselves out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...premier-league

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #542
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I've posted it before and I never get sick of it.

Sir Alex Ferguson reacted to being questioned about the incident by claiming there is a media agenda against Rooney.

“There is nothing in it,” he said.

“You have asked the question because it is Wayne Rooney. The press will raise a campaign to get him hung by Tuesday or electrocuted or something like that. It is unbelievable. Watch the press. It will be interesting to see it.”

Had Rooney been sent off by Mark Clattenburg it would have meant a three-game suspension, which would have meant missing United's Tuesday night’s away game at Chelsea, the visit of Liverpool next weekend and then a possible FA Cup quarter-final with Arsenal.

As Clattenburg saw the incident, there can be no retrospective action by the Football Association.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #543
Critch
lolzcat

Your big rivals are visiting your stadium for the first time in a couple of years. They come from a poorer part of town, an area you tell them smells of pigshit. They're in the stand directly above you in the stadium. So what do you do?

Obviously you take a massive inflatable pig wearing their club colors and float it up in front of them.

River Plate v Boca Juniors, Buenos Aires big derby match at the weekend, River Plate back in the top division.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #544
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

NBC buys TV rights for Premier League in U.S. - ESPN FC

NBC to air six live EPL games a week

LONDON -- NBC's networks will televise the English Premier League under a $250 million, three-year deal that begins next season.

They will show every match from the world's most popular soccer league, taking coverage away from Fox and ESPN.

"The Barclays Premier League is the pre-eminent soccer league in the world, and is on the cusp of exponential popularity growth here in the U.S.," NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said Sunday.

The company picked up Major League Soccer last year and had success with its soccer broadcasts during the London Olympics.

Criticized for using tape delay with the Olympics because of time differences, NBC will not do so with Premier League games, Lazarus said. English-language broadcasts will primarily be on cable channel NBC Sports Network, with Telemundo and mun2 used for Spanish coverage.

NBC's English-language networks will televise six live games a week. One or two of the company's other cable channels will also be used, Lazarus said, but which has not been determined yet as schedules are evaluated. Other games will be streamed live online.

The company has been seeking to expand the audience of NBC Sports Network, which was renamed from Versus after its owner, Comcast, took over NBCUniversal.

"We think we're acquiring a set of assets that has unique affluent male appeal that's very attractive to advertisers and attractive to cable operators," Lazarus said.

And soccer is a potential area for growth with most sports broadcast rights currently under contract, though NBC recently signed a deal with the Formula One auto racing series.

NBC Sports Network's biggest property is the NHL, whose season runs concurrently with English soccer. The EPL will be a good complement to the network's hockey coverage, Lazarus said, adding live soccer games in the morning and afternoon to prime-time NHL broadcasts.

"It's a younger skewing sport than some others out there, like some that are in a championship series right now," Lazarus said, in apparent reference to Major League baseball and its older viewership.

The previous three-year EPL deal with Fox, that saw some matches sublicensed to ESPN, was worth about $80 million. NBC Sports Network is in about twice as many homes in the U.S. as Fox Soccer but about 20 percent fewer than ESPN.

The EPL has sold its TV rights in Britain to BSkyB and BT for 3.018 billion pounds ($4.86 billion) in a record three-year deal from the 2013-14 season.

The EPL said NBC will deliver the "biggest and broadest programming and promotion commitment ever in the United States" for the league.

"The NBC Sports Group has an excellent track record in sports broadcasting," EPL chief executive Richard Scudamore said.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #545
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That pretty much allays any fears I had about a switch in coverage...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #546
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aaargh. I better get my fucking beinsports coverage or I'm going to fucking kill someone.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #547
Critch
lolzcat

Wonder what will happen to FSC now. With Speed losing Formula One too, seems like FOX suddenly has two sport channels with nothing worth showing.

Not sure about NBC, but glad BeIn Sports didnt get EPL. Fios wont be adding it any time soon, and I've just signed up for 2 years.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #548
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit, Arsenal with the mega comeback against Reading in the Capital One (read:League) Cup. From down 4-0, to 4-1 at the half,now leading 5-4
Old 10-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #549
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Holy shit, Arsenal with the mega comeback against Reading in the Capital One (read:League) Cup. From down 4-0, to 4-1 at the half,now leading 5-4

Final score 7-5 Arsenal
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #550
MIJB#19
Coordinator

7-5... That sounds like a 1950's score!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote