Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #501
Drake
assmaster

Gisele Bundchen got more camera time during the SB broadcast than Peyton did. I wonder what I'm supposed to make of that.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #502
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Olivia

Thanks!

I can never remember her name, but I dig her. She reminds me of my mom.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Peyton was heaped with expectations far beyond that of Eli.

Actually I pretty clearly recall hearing that Eli was the best of the family as far back as his Soph or Jr year in HS.

Peyton's college career cooled that talk quite a bit but it was out there years ago.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #504
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Gisele Bundchen got more camera time during the SB broadcast than Peyton did. I wonder what I'm supposed to make of that.

That she clearly doesn't really want Brady to win, or else she'd go hide in a bunker somewhere to completely avoid any chance of hogging the spotlight from him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #505
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

I'm guessing because she's hotter.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #506
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
I'm guessing because she's hotter.

True, true.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #507
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I dont think many are saying Eli is better. I think they are getting at they are comparable not simply because of tonight but because since 09 Eli has been an elite qb whos improvement has been under the radar for the most part.

In some of these earlier playoff threads people were still debating on whether or not Eli was a top 5 qb. I really think after these 4 playoff games there shouldnt be much of a debate anymore.

I still pick Rodgers, Brees, and Brady before him without even blinking in a "one year starting-a-team-from-scratch fantasy draft" (one year to remove age as a consideration). If you swap Brady and Eli on the teams tonight, I have to think Brady wins as its still a lot about the other 21 guys on the field.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #508
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Why Madonna Isn't Getting Paid For Her Super Bowl Halftime Gig - Forbes

Not a huge surprise but most halftime SB performances are unpaid.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #509
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I dont think many are saying Eli is better. I think they are getting at they are comparable not simply because of tonight but because since 09 Eli has been an elite qb whos improvement has been under the radar for the most part.

In some of these earlier playoff threads people were still debating on whether or not Eli was a top 5 qb. I really think after these 4 playoff games there shouldnt be much of a debate anymore.

Oh, I'm not doubting that Eli is a top 5 QB. My beef has nothing to do with Eli and I've actually defended him several times in the past.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #510
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I've said this for a few years now. Eli isn't the most talented QB, but in the system he is in and the team he is on there is no one I would rather have as my teams guy. I consider myself lucky to be a Giants fan and get to watch him and root for him.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #511
Autumn
Head Coach

Eli certainly outplayed Brady tonight, and that's all that matters to him, or Brady, right now. The Giants showed they deserved the trophy.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #512
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I still pick Rodgers, Brees, and Brady before him without even blinking in a "one year starting-a-team-from-scratch fantasy draft" (one year to remove age as a consideration). If you swap Brady and Eli on the teams tonight, I have to think Brady wins as its still a lot about the other 21 guys on the field.

SI

This.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #513
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

SI

I think that may be fair. I like Eli, but this isn't only on him. A lot of the Giants turnaround came when the defense got healthy. Even at 9-7, they were one of the most balanced teams in the playoffs. Solid defense and a good passing game. Eli is a very, very good QB, but when this team is rolling, this team is really, really good too.

If anything, I have more respect for Brady after this season because it reminded me of some of Peyton's seasons. Brady was asked to hide a lot of the issues the Pats had on defense during the season, though the defense did play decently well tonight.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks! I can never remember her name, but I dig her. She reminds me of my mom.

Her & Archie have been together since college, the All-American and the Homecoming Queen. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen her on TV but I don't think anything will ever top her comment when the gangly freshman made his debut for the Vols. IIRC they were actually talking to Archie about the unexpected appearance (starter Jerry Colquitt went down with an injury, Todd Helton came on for two series before giving way to Manning), and Olivia says "he just looks so little out there".

It was such a classic Mom thing to say, even after watching the hell her husband endured in his career, incredibly endearing (if surely embarrassing for her son).
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #515
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
If anything, I have more respect for Brady after this season because it reminded me of some of Peyton's seasons. Brady was asked to hide a lot of the issues the Pats had on defense during the season, though the defense did play decently well tonight.

I thought the Pats D played awful. They managed to keep the Giants out of the endzone more often than not, but it seemed to be despite their best efforts. It felt like they only had one or maybe two great plays, their tackling was awful, and they were just getting pushed around out there. They looked to be just totally physically outclassed against the big Giants, and had a hard time just pulling guys down -- after giving them wide-open catches mind you. Eli hardly ever had to work to find an open guy.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #516
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Actually I pretty clearly recall hearing that Eli was the best of the family as far back as his Soph or Jr year in HS.

Peyton's college career cooled that talk quite a bit but it was out there years ago.

I remember hearing about it as well, but again, Peyton just kind of took off in a way that people kind of forgot about little brother.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #517
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SI

I dont disagree with this at all.

I will add one thing though. I think a big reason Eli can up his level of play later in the game is because of how he is. While Rivers probably gets his players so worked up about every mess up Eli has that cool demeanor that gives his team the confidence to pull games out late. Im not a huge believer in that clutch play theory that people bring up however Eli had the most amazing 4th quarter season in history this year. There must be more to it than just luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #519
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Game's over, season's done. On to baseball...

Is Ryan Howard going to be ready opening day?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #520
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Manning
“I was yelling to him, `Don’t score, don’t score,”’ Manning said. “He tried to stop, but he fell into the end zone.”

I think my head just exploded. Why would you not take the six?

Disclaimer: I didn't see the game 'cept, really, for the last 2-3 plays.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #521
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

They wanted to kill time to give the Pats no time to respond.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #522
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Ryan Howard going to be ready opening day?

Probably not, but Thome will.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #523
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

Because nobody in the history of the NFL playoffs has ever missed a last minute chip shot field goal in an important playoff game. So really, it's a no brainer. Why did all the Ravens fans just start crying?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #524
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

great game actually. Not a LOT of big plays but lotsa nice weird stuff happening and the refs didn't screw it up and make too many calls. CLipped right along.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #525
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Loved the plop into the endzone for the gamewinning TD
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #526
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I thought it was a pretty boring game. It seemed like the Patriots' defense was awful, and I have no idea how they held the Giants to 21 points. I'm also amazed at how Michaels and Collinsworth seemed to think that losing the Tight Ends would kill the Giants' offense...are Manningham, Nicks and Cruz really not enough by themselves to make the offense threatening?

The non-PI call near the start of the 4th quarter I think was a borderline call - if they had called it, I would have thought it was probably fair but a bit ticky-tacky. Brady missed a few throws, but his receivers really did not help him out there.

The pass from Eli to Manningham was incredible. The catch was fantastic, the placement of the throw was amazing...Eli made some really nice throws tonight. Aside from the long ball that we'll all remember, there was one that was on the left side of the field for about 15 yards that he threw over a linebacker that was really nice. I don't know how he even saw the receiver, because the linebacker was right there, but he got it right to his guy.

That being said...the Pats defense is pretty much completely awful. And Eli didn't exactly light the world on fire tonight.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #527
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Because nobody in the history of the NFL playoffs has ever missed a last minute chip shot field goal in an important playoff game. So really, it's a no brainer. Why did all the Ravens fans just start crying?

Which is why my head exploded. I mean, okay - you drain the clock, kick the tying field goal, go to overtime. If you win the toss, you have to score a touchdown to prevent the Patriots from getting a crack at it themselves.

If you *lose* the toss, you have to prevent them from scoring a touchdown also if you want another crack at it.

So...take the six they're gifting you, and try to stop them from scoring a touchdown. I don't see why there's any question there.

But then, I guess that's why I'm not an NFL coach or something?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #528
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, it wasn't a tying field goal for a start. Would have put them up by 1 with around 20 seconds remaining.

But still, a decent return and a completion over the middle with the TO, and you're a play away from giving Gostkowski the chance to win it as time expires. For me, the chance that Brady can get close to FG range with 20 seconds left > the chance that Brady can score a winning TD with 1 minute left (and in reality, they didn't even get close).

Now add to that the fact that the FG isn't guaranteed, I think the 6 points is a no brainer. Teams have fumbled the snap just trying to get to the center of the field and run time off the clock before.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #529
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Im not sure I follow. A FG won, not tied?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #530
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yes the FG would have won it. They just would have been able to drain the clock so that there was no way NE could even try for a TD.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #531
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, it wasn't a tying field goal for a start. Would have put them up by 1 with around 20 seconds remaining.

But still, a decent return and a completion over the middle with the TO, and you're a play away from giving Gostkowski the chance to win it as time expires. For me, the chance that Brady can get close to FG range with 20 seconds left > the chance that Brady can score a winning TD with 1 minute left (and in reality, they didn't even get close).

Now add to that the fact that the FG isn't guaranteed, I think the 6 points is a no brainer. Teams have fumbled the snap just trying to get to the center of the field and run time off the clock before.

Ah. I saw the 21-17 final, and just mentally subtracted 7 points to get to their pre-score total. Didn't realize there was a failed 2pt conversion in there.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #532
bhlloy
Coordinator

In a perfect world, Bradshaw probably falls down at the 1, you force NE to take the timeout or let the clock drain and then you punch it in on the next play. But still, imagine if you fumble in that scenario.

I think taking the points they are giving you is the smart play when to come away with nothing means you lose. People are comparing it to Westbrook, but the Eagles were already winning that game.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #533
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

People have mentioned the Ravens game, but I also remember a botched snap for the Cowboys against Seattle a few years ago that was a chip shot. There was also a game in which the Giants took a 3 point lead against the Cowboys on MNF not too long ago with around 20 seconds left. The kickoff went out of bounds, the Cowboys completed one pass out of bounds, kicked the FG and ended up winning in OT.

Bad things happen. If I'm going to be gifted a 4 point lead with 1 minute left, I'm going to take it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #534
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Ah. I saw the 21-17 final, and just mentally subtracted 7 points to get to their pre-score total. Didn't realize there was a failed 2pt conversion in there.

Now I understand why the 2-pt conversion! To run the clock and force NE to take ANOTHER timeout after they wasted one of em on that catch challenge...

oh yeah, who didn't think that was hilarious that when it was determined that Billichik was going to challenge the play, that when they showed the replay, it all happened RIGHT IN FRONT of Billichik!

LIke the Ref would just ask HIM what happened! hehehe
Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #535
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Congrats to Eli again. As a Chargers fan....well ugh.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #536
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Now I understand why the 2-pt conversion! To run the clock and force NE to take ANOTHER timeout after they wasted one of em on that catch challenge...

Clock doesn't run on conversions.

TD put Giants up 21-17. Kicking the PAT would've made it 22-17. Being up by 4 or 5 is essentially the same (losing on a TD). Going for 2 would've made it a 6 point game, meaning NE would need to make the PAT to win after a TD.

As a Jets fan, Giants/Pats is a nightmare Super Bowl, much less twice in several years. Still, I don't understand people saying it was a bad game. You have both teams with a chance to win it in the final 2 minutes, a well-played game with hardly any penalties nor turnovers, and a game with enough twists and turns to lead to many discussions afterwards (let NY score earlier? Let them score at all? Belichick's timeout use. Brady's INT. Legacies of Eli, Coughlin, Brady. Welker's drop or did Brady slightly misfire?). It wasn't a thing of beauty, but it was a good game.

Two flawed teams, but every team is flawed. I'd take a Super Bowl like this 9 times out of 10. Granted, with any 2 other teams.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 AM   #537
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

WHo says it was a bad game? IT was a great game.
I REALLY liked the fact that it wasn't bogged down by tons of penalties and yeah lotsa turnovers is kinda lame too. ALso liked that timeouts weren't used that much.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #538
MIJB#19
Coordinator

One thing still has to be taught to that announcer right before the Super Bowl got handed out: when a team wins the National Football League championship game you become national champions.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #539
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

dopey faced assassin does it again. all he does is throw darts without conscience in crunchtime.

that sideline throw is an all-timer.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #540
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If the Giants sat at the goal line and then didn't score, it would go down as likely the most infamous non-scoring play ever.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #541
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
One thing still has to be taught to that announcer right before the Super Bowl got handed out: when a team wins the National Football League championship game you become national champions.

You're right. They should change the name to the World League of American Football, so they can be world champions.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #542
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I thought that Tuck would have gotten credit for a sack for forcing intentional grounding? I suppose that's not the call. The QB is always going to win the MVP if he plays really good, but Tuck had 2 sacks plus forced that safety. I wonder if he got any MVP votes.

I would've voted for him.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #543
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

14 former Big Ten players got rings last night. I'm not sure if that's the highest from a conference, but it has to be up there.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #544
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You're right. They should change the name to the World League of American Football, so they can be world champions.
That would make sense, providing it gets turned into a worldwide football league.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #545
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good thing it was close, because that was not a well-played game. This is the flipside to college's "2 best teams" argument - you play a playoff, and sometimes the best teams get knocked out and you're left with 2 flawed teams playing a less-than-stellar championship game. Guys making plays were few and far between.

Oh well. Bring on baseball.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #546
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

We are the world.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #547
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So Welker dropping a pass makes Eli clutch?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #548
Logan
Head Coach

Apologies for not going back to find the posts, but for those wondering if you could just throw 20 guys on the field, take the five yard penalty, and chew up the clock...

There's a rule on the books concerning "Palpably Unfair Acts". It gives the referee the ability to award basically any penalty, including a touchdown, if something were to happen like Wes Walker streaking down the sidelines on his way to an 80 yard TD, only for Tom Coughlin to drill him with a perfect technique tackle. I don't know if that would meet this definition, but I'm guessing teams would refrain from flagrantly violating rules.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #549
Ksyrup

I would give my left nut to hear Ed Hochuli explain a "palpably unfair act" in the last 10 seconds of a Super Bowl.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #550
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I would give my left nut to hear Ed Hochuli explain a "palpably unfair act" in the last 10 seconds of a Super Bowl.

+1
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote