Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #501
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ping MU fans.....good article about Otto Porter......

Otto Porter is the best player no one knows about. - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #502
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great article, great win tonight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #503
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And then there were four. Duke falls from the ranks of the unbeaten, losing to Florida State 66-61.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #504
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Goodness, guess Colorado won't sneak up on anyone anymore. Beat Mizzou in the opener and just beat Kansas State in Manhattan. 2-0 in conference play.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #505
Izulde
Head Coach

Fucking aggravating loss UNLV had to SDSU tonight. The cold streak at the start of the second half killed the Runnin' Rebels.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #506
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ain't that just like FSU...lose to Auburn, who at one point was on track to be the worst-rated Big 6 conference team in the history of rankings (and maybe still are?), drop another to VT, and then upset #1. They always do this. If they could pput together 1 consistent season where they win nearly every game they are supposed to and addin a couple of upsets like this, maybe they could make a run. Instead, they'll follow this up with a couple more stinkers, finish with 19-20 wins, and bitch about how they got left on the bubble but should have made it for beating baylor and Duke.

They are (and have been) one of the best defensive teams in college basketball. They just have absolutely no capacity to score at all. Last night they got lucky and actually scored more than 50-55 points for a change.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #507
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Very good article for those who haven't read it yet.

Billy Donovan's Secret Sorrow | ThePostGame
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #508
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ain't that just like FSU...lose to Auburn, who at one point was on track to be the worst-rated Big 6 conference team in the history of rankings (and maybe still are?), drop another to VT, and then upset #1. They always do this. If they could pput together 1 consistent season where they win nearly every game they are supposed to and addin a couple of upsets like this, maybe they could make a run. Instead, they'll follow this up with a couple more stinkers, finish with 19-20 wins, and bitch about how they got left on the bubble but should have made it for beating baylor and Duke.

They are (and have been) one of the best defensive teams in college basketball. They just have absolutely no capacity to score at all. Last night they got lucky and actually scored more than 50-55 points for a change.

Yeah, that Auburn loss makes no sense. Florida State is much too good to be losing them games. If Kitchen is hitting his shots Florida State is a top 20 team. Too often is seems Singleton has to do too much.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #509
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Solomon Alabi had no reason to go to the NBA last year. Add him to this team and they would be scary. They still need a Toney Douglas/Al Thornton type scorer. And they still throw too many possessions away with stupid turnovers. I would be beyond pissed to work that hard on the defensive end and then 10 seconds later throw the ball out of bounds. They are just flat-out inept on offense. If this was football, I'd suggest Hamilton fire his OC and bring in someone else!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #510
MJ4H
Coordinator

The loss to LSU last night was a complete facepalm.jpg for a team that just beat Tennessee. This will cause some unrest for the Pelphrey haters.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #511
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
The loss to LSU last night was a complete facepalm.jpg for a team that just beat Tennessee. This will cause some unrest for the Pelphrey haters.

I'm not sure beating Tennessee is that big of a deal at this point, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #512
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm not sure beating Tennessee is that big of a deal at this point, unfortunately.

Well, it was clearly over Arkansas's head.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #513
Radii
Head Coach

UNC with another super ugly conference win(64-61). Malcolm Delany goes 7-11 from 3, seems like he always lights it up against Carolina, but after starting 5-5 from 3 and 10-18 from the field Va Tech was ice cold for the last 6 minutes of the first half and the entire second half.

Harrison Barnes scored 8 key points in the final few minutes to redeem himself from an otherwise awful game. 6 turnovers, most of them very poor giveaways leading to easy baskets. UNC 7-17 from the line, Va Tech 8-15. Great stuff!

John Henson was great for UNC tonight but he's a ~30% free throw shooter and they have to pull him off the court at the end. Larry Drew was on the bench at the end too with Kendall Marshall running the show, I'm thrilled to see that.

Last edited by Radii : 01-13-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #514
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good lord. Tried to watch the Oregon game last night, but started feeling ill. That court is disorienting. It's like looking at a fun house mirror for a couple hours.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #515
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
UNC with another super ugly conference win(64-61).

I don't get how Roy puts up with this crap. Poor free throw shooting is inexcusable. Period! Keep their asses after practice if you have to and make them shoot again and again and again. I know damn well Dean would have straightened this FT shooting mess out.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #516
spleen1015
Coordinator

All is right in the college basketball universe when UNC sucks.

Go Duke.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #517
Butter
Coordinator

Great finishes already today between Louisville-Marquette and Tennessee-Vandy. Nice start to the day.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #518
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Duke is struggling without Irving.

It would be hard to bet against them come tourny time however teams that depend as heavily on the outside shot as much as they do could disappoint down the road.

I really like that Ohio State team. They are long, athletic, can shoot and have one of the best post players in college hoops.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #519
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vols come from 17 down to beat Vandy in Tony Jones first game as (temporary) head coach. I think Pat Summitt may have been coaching as hard as Jones for a good bit of the game & definitely got the crowd into what had been a rout.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #520
Butter
Coordinator

Mizzou with a bad last minute of OT to lose at A&M.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #521
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Mizzou with a bad last minute of OT to lose at A&M.

+ new travelling rules in college basketball
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #522
Butter
Coordinator

Has Mizzou ever lost a game that their fans don't believe the refs stole from them?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #523
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya..the one where Tyus Edney stole the game from them.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #524
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ya..the one where Tyus Edney stole the game from them.

Hey I thought the refs stole the KU game from UCLA also but I realize your hatred of MBBF has to make you latch onto any Mizzou post. Watch the end of OT in todays game on the fast break where the A&M player takes 1 or 2 steps, ducks under a defender, stops, and then takes 1 or 2 more steps. I thought I was watching Michael Jordan (and the 4 step rule) out there.

It definitely would have helped if we could actually make our free throws. (Or shoot 19 more in a 2 point OT game) But yeah the officiating was pretty even there.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #525
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Hey I thought the refs stole the KU game from UCLA also but I realize your hatred of MBBF has to make you latch onto any Mizzou post.

Rather unfair, considering Bug responding to Butter about games involving Mizzou. Unless I missed something, you're talking about KU-UCLA and I don't believe Mizzou was involved.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #526
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas holds OU to a season-low point total in a 66-46 win. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, now comes a rough 5 game conference stretch.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #527
RedKingGold
College Starter

Villanova comes back from a double digit defecit with less than ten minutes to go in he second half to beat Maryland.

The Big East is stacked this by year. Ive been following the conference more and more over the past five years, but this is the best top to bottom its been in awhile.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #528
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey I thought the refs stole the KU game from UCLA also but I realize your hatred of MBBF has to make you latch onto any Mizzou post. Watch the end of OT in todays game on the fast break where the A&M player takes 1 or 2 steps, ducks under a defender, stops, and then takes 1 or 2 more steps. I thought I was watching Michael Jordan (and the 4 step rule) out there.

It definitely would have helped if we could actually make our free throws. (Or shoot 19 more in a 2 point OT game) But yeah the officiating was pretty even there.

I just wanted to insert an Edney post. Don't believe the conspiracy theories
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #529
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Villanova comes back from a double digit defecit with less than ten minutes to go in he second half to beat Maryland.

The Big East is stacked this by year. Ive been following the conference more and more over the past five years, but this is the best top to bottom its been in awhile.

Really? Other than Pitt are there really any championship contenders?

I remember 2-3 years ago it seem half the conference was in the top 25. I think it was 2009 and the Big East had Louisville, UConn, Pitt, and West Virginia as all great teams.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-15-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #530
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think that's going to be a common theme for Maryland this year. We're a fairly young team, and I think we have a bit to learn about staying in the game when we get a lead. This is similar to how we played against Duke. We are now like 0-4 (0-3?) against ranked teams, but I will say we looked good for the most part against Duke and Nova. I'm optimistic for the future of this squad, we just need to grow up a bit.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #531
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

I remember 2-3 years ago it seem half the conference was in the top 25. I think it was 2009 and the Big East had Louisville, UConn, Pitt, and West Virginia as all great teams.

Half the AP top 10 is Big East teams. I don't know how many teams people would consider "championship contenders" at this point but that's a lot of top 10 teams from one conference. (and currently, half the conference - 8 teams - are in the top 25)

Last edited by molson : 01-15-2011 at 05:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #532
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Second straight OT win for MSU. Both were at home so now comes the fun part of @Ill and @Purdue. Of MSU's last 13 games, 5 of them are on the road against ranked teams and a double bill with Michigan who can be frisky enough at times to be an issue. If they want to win the conference, now would be a good time to start putting it together.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #533
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Best "top to bottom" it's been in awhile. The dirty secret of the Big East is that it's been pretty top heavy the past few years, with the top eight having the talent to make a final four run when the bottom eight would struggle to go .500 in a mid major conference.

With UConns sudden reemergence, St. Johns solid incoming class, and Cincinnati and Seton Hall playing relatively well of late, 12 of the 16 Big East teams could be legitimate at large tournament invites
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #534
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Rather unfair, considering Bug responding to Butter about games involving Mizzou. Unless I missed something, you're talking about KU-UCLA and I don't believe Mizzou was involved.

I knew that Bug was a UCLA fan and I think UCLA got jobbed by terrible officating against KU. Just like I felt Mizzou got jobbed today. Just showing that I call them like I see them.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #535
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Best "top to bottom" it's been in awhile. The dirty secret of the Big East is that it's been pretty top heavy the past few years, with the top eight having the talent to make a final four run when the bottom eight would struggle to go .500 in a mid major conference.

With UConns sudden reemergence, St. Johns solid incoming class, and Cincinnati and Seton Hall playing relatively well of late, 12 of the 16 Big East teams could be legitimate at large tournament invites

Agreed.

I have been looking at WVU's schedule for the past week or ten days, trying to figure out how we get to 20-22 wins (and presumably off the bubble) and it is hard to find many near-automatic wins on it, other than the handful of home games left against the bottom 4 or 5 in the conference. In past years you could pretty much mark down wins against 6-8 teams period and then another 2-4 if you had them at home, but this season is pretty strong, top to bottom.

We have Purdue at home tomorrow and I am hoping and wishing that we can win that one and then get to double digit wins in the Big East (I think it will be tough for us this season, unless the team really improves quickly).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #536
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
+ new travelling rules in college basketball

It was a brutal miss on that travel in OT, but Mizzou has no one to blame but themselves for the loss. Denmon's poor decision in regulation and brutal FT shooting by MU were the reason we lost. Not too worried about it. Mizzou's playing very well right now despite the 1-2 start with two road losses. They'll be just fine.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #537
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It was a brutal miss on that travel in OT, but Mizzou has no one to blame but themselves for the loss. Denmon's poor decision in regulation and brutal FT shooting by MU were the reason we lost. Not too worried about it. Mizzou's playing very well right now despite the 1-2 start with two road losses. They'll be just fine.

I was much more impressed with them playing a very good team tough on the road today than I was letting a Nebraska team that hadnt played a true road game come back on them a few times before they pulled it out. Mizzou usually crushes teams like that at home.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #538
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I was much more impressed with them playing a very good team tough on the road today than I was letting a Nebraska team that hadnt played a true road game come back on them a few times before they pulled it out. Mizzou usually crushes teams like that at home.

Nebraska nearly beat Kansas in Allen Fieldhouse today. I'm starting to wonder if there's a gimmie in this league after the early play of Colorado and Nebraska thus far. OU and TT are probably the weakest teams from what we've seen thus far. CU and NU have made big steps.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #539
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, FT's killed this team today, but it was a good game to watch.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #540
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, that Big East team ranked above Pitt that is still undefeated
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #541
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Yeah, that Big East team ranked above Pitt that is still undefeated

Ahhh yes! I keep forgetting they are undefeated.

I am probably just underestimating the Big East this year since it seemed so many teams lost some great players from last year and really only Pitt was considered a National Contender in most previews I read.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #542
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU with a huge win over Purdue.

This isn't close to Huggins' best team at WVU and going into the season I would have been happy with just making the tourney, but this team has proven they can play with anyone with wins over Vandy, Georgetown, and now Purdue.

Next year will be just as interesting as it's basically be a bunch of freshman + Kevin Jones with Truck and Kilicli helping as well. After that things should get really interesting in Morgantown. Hugg's just missed on several recruits last year (Tobias Harris is the one that hurts) and right now there isn't a scholarship freshman in uniform, but recruiting has picked up considerably since.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #543
Swaggs
Coordinator

Huggs is earning his money this season. Purdue clearly had the two most talented guys on the floor today, but WVU defended and rebounded really well all game, hung around, and pulled ahead at the end. I am pretty glad the game ended when it did, as another few minutes and it would have been tough to win, IMO.

Glad to get that one under our belt, as it will look good on selection Sunday.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #544
Radii
Head Coach

Embarrassing performance by UNC tonight. Shumpert and Rice were on fire even when defended well for Ga Tech, but UNC was completely inept with the ball. Credit Tech with 13 "steals" but I would estimate as many as 8 of those were UNC bigs unable to catch the ball and UNC guards unable to pass the ball. Throw in 5 or 6 missed layups and the fact that Larry Drew continues to start over Kendall Marshall and you have a complete and utter disaster.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #545
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Surprised there's no chatter in this thread about the great slate of games on ESPN today. Nova-UConn is going down to the wire. Mizzou-KSU next with Syr-Pitt and KU-Baylor later tonight.

I'm very happy to be home taking care of the kids tonight.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #546
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Surprised there's no chatter in this thread about the great slate of games on ESPN today. Nova-UConn is going down to the wire. Mizzou-KSU next with Syr-Pitt and KU-Baylor later tonight.

I'm very happy to be home taking care of the kids tonight.

And I'm sad that I'm still more or less stuck at my parents' place, since they watch a TON of really bad TV but no sports.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #547
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How sad is it that I have Comcast's cheapest tier and it doesn't get ESPN. Seriously.

But I do get ESPN3 so it's all good

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #548
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

This game is taking way too long. Can they please stop fouling every 15 seconds so I can catch the start of the Pitt game?
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #549
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

cuse off to a good start... fart noise

i have yet to watch a game this year where fab melo doesn't get subbed in the first 3 minutes. freshman of the year indeed.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #550
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good game for Mizzou.. Pitt off to a huge lead...