Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #501
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I would agree. I haven't watched beyond the first few minutes of the UK version either, but I remember not liking the US version after the first few minutes. It's what happens from episode to episode when you learn the characters, and what happens as they build off of that is what makes this and any good TV show.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #502
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I don't feel like one has to be good and the other bad. Both versions are two of my favorite tv comedies of all time. I think it is probably easier if you see the UK version first because the US version has hundreds of episodes to start identifying the characters. That said Gervais singing in the group circle, the Christmas specials, and the finale are top notch tears in eyes comedy. (So is the first season of Extras by the way.) I would give it a few more episodes and you will start to enjoy the characters.

EDIT: And Gervais character is incredibly complex and perfectly acted.

totally agree with this. both shows were terrific in their own way
Old 02-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #503
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Pam Beasley tweeted tonight.

She was wondering if she should sneak into Chili's.

Jenna Fischer, AKA Pam From "The Office", Finally Returned To Chili's And It's The Best Thing

I think she should ditch it for The Bloomin' Onion at Outback.

https://twitter.com/jennafischer

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-07-2017 at 06:09 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #504
tarcone
Coordinator

Just finished the series. I really got into it. And miss it already.
The show where Michael left was one of the best exit shows Ive seen. I thought they did a great job with it.
The finale was pretty good. Not the greatest, but not horrible.

I went through lots of emotions with this show. Well done.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #505
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

yeah I just finished it again as well. I saw various bits of the last season when it first aired and really didn't have any idea what was going on.

I tried getting through the whole series before and was stopped midway through 8.

This time I got through everything.

The first time I dislike Robert California a lot but this time got to enjoy his positive speaker-like narcissism especially when met with people like Kevin and his cookie theories (best ep ever with Robert) HOwever they just dropped the ball with him then.

The inclusion of Nellie was kind of pointless. First it was another device for being mean to Andy. And as well the third time they had used the "someone decides they have a job and then they get it just by wanting it"...just like Pam and RObert did. At least when Pam did it it was funny because of the signatures she had to get and the inaction with Gabe. Loved Gabe. He was sorely missed in 9.

The Florida trip was funny at least.

Andy as a character went through SO MANY changes that the character was just impossible to watch. I LOVED him at the beginning of 8 how he was so unsure of himself. Happy he was manager but floundering in how to do it. So selfaware. He seemed to fit there. THen he just left. (apparently to go off and do Hangover 3? ) That ruined the character. The going to get Erin thing was ridiculous (especially since it subjected us to arguably the 2 worst characters of the time.) Never liked Erin. Mostly because her dimness was not very realistic. Maybe it was the actress that just wasn't good.

In 9 Andy became very mean and tough boss. That was okay I guess. Then Nellie became (strangely) his punching bag. Then again he just left (boat trip...maybe that was when he did hangover 3...i know he did Lorax as well). Him coming back was a mess. The whole Pete/Erin thing was likewise pointless.

9 indeed was very dark. Jim and Pam's marriage was falling apart due to Jim wanting a new career in a new city. Darryl's arc was very interesting. Angela and Dwight's saga wasx pretty compelling. Angela and Oscar and the senator. Angela's child. That whole arc climaxed really well I thought. It was a bit on the soap opera side all around.

I think indeed without Michael, there wasn't that central hub to dance around. He was always the chaos and the annoyance that everyone tried to avoid/placate. Then without him, that catalyst didn't exist. It more became vignettes of people.

I do with they wouldn't have added all the new characters. Robert, Nellie, Clark, Pete, etc were not really necessary. THey already had a lot of great people to give more stories to.

Ryan/Kelly leaving in 9 also left that hole. The finale was indeed satisfying though.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #506
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Couple of good write ups. I'm re-watching again myself, but for about the billionth time. It is less re-watching, and more saying the lines with the characters at this point.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #507
tarcone
Coordinator

I agree with Crimson on most of the added characters. Nellie, Pete and Erin were my least favorites. Clark was one that worked. I loved when Dwight gave him to Jan.
Nellie was almost unbearable. I just didnt like her at all.
Robert California was a great character. I didnt think I was going to like him. But I really got into him. Always something cool with that guy.
Erin and Pete, I realize that was the "new jim and pam", but there wasnt much there. No chemistry I guess.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #508
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I agree with Crimson on most of the added characters. Nellie, Pete and Erin were my least favorites. Clark was one that worked. I loved when Dwight gave him to Jan.
Nellie was almost unbearable. I just didnt like her at all.
Robert California was a great character. I didnt think I was going to like him. But I really got into him. Always something cool with that guy.
Erin and Pete, I realize that was the "new jim and pam", but there wasnt much there. No chemistry I guess.

yes clark being fed to Jan was hysterical...

nellie...you could always see catherine tate actively trying to find a character every time she spoke. LIke she does something then stares at the director as if to say "like this? does THIS work?"

Robert's little head turn to the camera during the credits always makes me laugh.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #509
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I restarted with season 2. Man those were so good.

I am now convinced that BJ Novak (Ryan), Mindy Kaling (Kelly), and Paul Lieberstein (Toby) had a competition to see who could torture each other's character the most when writing for them.