Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #501
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

CyanogenMod 7 Makes Its Way To The HP TouchPad
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand putting an inferior(though wildly more popular) OS on a product. I suppose if it is more responsive, as the touch pad was apparently not very well optimized for performance in spite of having good specs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #503
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't understand putting an inferior(though wildly more popular) OS on a product. I suppose if it is more responsive, as the touch pad was apparently not very well optimized for performance in spite of having good specs.

More apps.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #505
stevew
Hall Of Famer

New product announcement next Wednesday. I'm still pretty happy with my first generation, but I will be interested in the new things that the gen 3 provides. Supposedly a very high resolution screen(2048 by 1536) and possibly a quad core processor in this one.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #506
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry I'm probably out of the loop, is Flash considered a never-gonna-happen?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #507
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yep. HTML5 is going to be the path to have Flash-like content on iOS.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #508
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
New product announcement next Wednesday. I'm still pretty happy with my first generation, but I will be interested in the new things that the gen 3 provides. Supposedly a very high resolution screen(2048 by 1536) and possibly a quad core processor in this one.

+1

I passed on the 2nd gen, but mostly because I convinced myself to wait for the third. The 2nd gen is ALOT faster than my first gen.

I just have to decide whether to go with the 3g(maybe 4g?) or wifi. My first gen comes with an unlimited data plan. I could transfer it, as I do use the 3g all the time, but the wifi is so much cheaper.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #509
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Flash doesn't matter anymore anyway: mobile Flash was killed a few months ago.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #510
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Last year we bought an iPad2. I liked it but didn't use it a whole lot. Most of my gaming/browsing is done on my desktop computer. But since I have an Android phone and use GMail, I talked myself into buying an Asus Transformer (TF101). I really like it (the Eee Pad), and for EMail and Internet browsing, it's a perfect fit for me. It always keeps in synch with my email & calendar. They really talk well with each other.

But... I bought it on the promise that the Google App Store would start to catchup with the huge lead Apple has with it's Apps. 8 months later, and there are still relatively few games/apps that I find I have on Android. Unsurprisingly, most of the new stuff still comes to Apple first (FM2012 handheld and iOOTP are 2 examples discussed here on our forums). I keep hearing and reading about more folks playing significant games on their iPads.

And so I feel like I've fallen into the same trap I have too many times to remember regarding technology. Yes - I was the guy that bought Intellivision instead of Atari. Commodore 64 instead of Apple. Betamax instead of VHS. And I don't want to succumb to the Apple teat. My wife uses the iPad, and my son has one as well. So we have a mix. But I finding myself being drawn more to "the bird in hand" instead of the promise of two in the bush. I am really so disappointed that there is such fragmentation in the Android market. I'm finding myself dreaming of getting the iPad3. I'm really bummed that the Apps haven't made significant headway. The Asus Transformer is a great tablet. The latest one apparently compares very favorably to the iPad3. Most reviews agree with that sentiment. But the one thing that many reviewers don't mention is the tremendous difference in the corresponding App Stores. And at the end of the day, content is what will ultimately drive the market.

Ugh - sorry for venting. But just wanted to put my thoughts out there and see what any of the rest of you think.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #511
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Being a devout member of Team Android, I'll always favor the Android OS over Apple's iOS. That being said, I bought the New iPad for the wife and while I am very impressed with the unit, I can't get passed the lack of customization of the iOS that I have with the Android.

In my opinion, the iPad hardware is state of the art. But the Android OS is far superior than iOS despite the fact that its apps lag behind the those for Apple.

I wouldn't be too bummed about how the Android phones/tablets seemed to play second fiddle to Apple. History has shown that the superior technology will outlast all others like VHS over Betamax, BluRay over DVDHD. But the battle between Apple and Android will be around for a long time, and personally, in the end I think the two will coexist for a long time. Like Coke and Pepsi. McDonalds and Burger King.

ABC
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #512
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed. Considering Android is building its lead in smartphones, you shouldn't fret too much regarding apps (not as if the app store for Google is barren or anything).
Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #513
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

All I know is that in my industry, they can't hire Android programmers fast enough. I have a feeling the app gap is going to be much smaller in a year.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #514
lungs
Pro Rookie

I started with an Android phone (Droid X) and then got an IPad2. I could not wait for my contract to be up to get rid of that piece of shit phone and get an IPhone. Maybe it was the hardware but Android just seem like a messy OS to me. I prefer the clean (and yes, less customizable) feel of iOS.

I may get an Android tablet for the farm as there is some software I use that is Android only. For personal use at home I don't plan on going back to anything Android anytime soon.

Last edited by lungs : 04-04-2012 at 07:59 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #515
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We have 3 iPod Touches, my wife has a hand-me-down iPhone 3 from my parents, and I just bought my wife a new iPad, but I have a Galaxy S II and love it. I kinda prefer having an iPod for music/games and a phone that does other things and is much more open and customizable. One of the reasons for this is it allows me to cover my bases on both sides of the app offerings, but really, I don't ever want a phone that has to be used for everything because of the battery drain. I already need to recharge daily as it is - I don't want to feel like I've got a landline because I have to worry about battery capacity all day long.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #516
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
History has shown that the superior technology will outlast all others like VHS over Betamax, BluRay over DVDHD.
Not to debate your larger point, but Betamax was the superior tech to VHS.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Forget it, he's rolling!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #518
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Not to debate your larger point, but Betamax was the superior tech to VHS.
Haha! Noted.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #519
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Forget it, he's rolling!

Thanks for that. Now I feel the need to watch Animal House again.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #520
henry296
College Starter

I could use some help with my wife's iPad. We are trying to free up space by deleting some pictures. When we try to manage the pictures it wants to sync with her MacBook which doesn't have all of the pictures and music. This is one area that is confusing with Apple products. Any help on the best way to delete some pictures without completely syncing?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #521
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I could use some help with my wife's iPad. We are trying to free up space by deleting some pictures. When we try to manage the pictures it wants to sync with her MacBook which doesn't have all of the pictures and music. This is one area that is confusing with Apple products.

Confusing?! What are you talking about, this feature works perfectly! If you only have one person using their device with iTunes. And only use your device with one PC.

Was definitely one of my frustrations back in my iPhone/iPod days.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #522
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I could use some help with my wife's iPad. We are trying to free up space by deleting some pictures. When we try to manage the pictures it wants to sync with her MacBook which doesn't have all of the pictures and music. This is one area that is confusing with Apple products. Any help on the best way to delete some pictures without completely syncing?

Thanks.

Yeah -- it sucks.

I had this problem when I first got mine. I somehow filled up the hard drive with pictures and music (I think I somehow put them on twice, because I put them all back on and the drive isn't full now).

For me, it ended up being easier to restore it back to factory settings and start over. I'm sure there is an easier resolution (actually, I'm not sure -- I tried all of the online tutorials and they seemed to either not work or take so long that I aborted), but since I didn't have much on it and it is easy to redownload your apps, I just restored.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #523
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Are you just in the iPad photo area and it won't let you delete the pictures? That is strange, I've never had an issue with that before, so maybe I am not understanding the problem. Do you have the photos synced on your computer? I think you could try just turning off the sync function for the photos when you connect the iPad to your computer.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #524
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you just in the iPad photo area and it won't let you delete the pictures? That is strange, I've never had an issue with that before, so maybe I am not understanding the problem. Do you have the photos synced on your computer? I think you could try just turning off the sync function for the photos when you connect the iPad to your computer.

I think the big cause of the problem is these pictures were imported onto the ipad from an old PC computer. Therefore, if I understand correctly, they don't sync with the new MacBook.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #525
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dropbox the photos from the iPad and then open them on the Mac and set the photos not to sync.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #526
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

My complaint is my ipad 1 is basically obsolete at this point. I never upgraded the ios. After doing some research, I found out ios 5 is too unstable on the first ipad so I thought I could download ios 4 and still get some programs that are offered on the app store. No dice. The only way of getting ios 4 is to upgrade to ios 5 then downgrade to ios 4 by jumping through a lot of hoops.

I understand that computers become obsolete over time but at least with older computers there are sites that you can go and get old operating systems or old programs. As far as I can tell on the ipad, there is no legitimate way of paying for a program that works on an old operating system and that stinks.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #527
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I haven't had really any issues with 5 on my first gen. Which programs don't work? Most of the loud complainers are probably just trolls or android fanboys.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #528
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
5 has wifi syncing, which is worth its weight in gold.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #529
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

hmmm...okay, well this is good news! I will update to 5 tonight, but if it causes problems you and I are going to have words
Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #530
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Stevew,next time you are in town, dinner is on me!

Upgraded to 5 on my original iPad and it works great! I would say it is slightly slower, but still well worth the upgrade given that I can download all the apps again.

Thanks once again.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #531
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Is anybody tethering their ipad? I plan on doing this with my android phone and unlimited Verizon data plan (I have a 4g phone, thank you FCC!)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #532
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Is anybody tethering their ipad? I plan on doing this with my android phone and unlimited Verizon data plan (I have a 4g phone, thank you FCC!)

I do this when I'm not at home.... but when I tether things to my phone my unlimited data plan is no longer unlimited. I'm with Verizon too.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #533
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I tether my Verizon iPad. Works pretty well, especially with LTE. Very fast.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #534
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I do this when I'm not at home.... but when I tether things to my phone my unlimited data plan is no longer unlimited. I'm with Verizon too.

are you using mobile hotspot or a 3rd party app? i have no desire to use the verizon app, I plan on using foxfi
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #535
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
are you using mobile hotspot or a 3rd party app? i have no desire to use the verizon app, I plan on using foxfi

Just root your phone.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #536
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Mobile hotspot on my IPhone
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #537
stevew
Hall Of Famer

IPhone 5 announcement tomorrow. I can't believe it's only going to have a 4" screen. That seems silly. Possible small iPad going to be announced as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #538
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
IPhone 5 announcement tomorrow. I can't believe it's only going to have a 4" screen. That seems silly. Possible small iPad going to be announced as well.

Anyone know what time?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #539
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone know what time?

10am Pacific

Here's a link to one of the places that will live blog the event: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...s-almost-here/

Last edited by cartman : 09-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #540
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Thank you sir

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #541
kingfc22
Head Coach

90 minutes away. Please do not disappoint Apple.

I passed on the 4s as it was essentially the same as my current iPhone 4.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #542
cartman
Death Herald

The new connector to replace the long-standard 30 pin connection is called Lightning. It will be 9 pin, and direction independent.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #543
cartman
Death Herald

New color, slate, in addition to the black and white iPhones.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #544
cartman
Death Herald

Same price as the iPhone 4S
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #545
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

New iTunes? Maybe this one won't freeze every time I open it. Would be nice if they automatically configured individual artist names by last name, too. That never ceases to piss me off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-12-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #546
Easy Mac

Evolutionary. Nothing here makes me feel the need to upgrade on Verizon. Especially since I'd lose the unlimited data (which happens if I upgrade to LTE), so I'd end up paying far more to use the same amount of data I use now.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #547
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The new connector to replace the long-standard 30 pin connection is called Lightning. It will be 9 pin, and direction independent.

Ugh. I assume that means that the new phones won't work on any of the old docking bays for speakers and what not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #548
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Ugh. I assume that means that the new phones won't work on any of the old docking bays for speakers and what not.

They announced a whole series of adapters they can't wait to sell you. The new connector is something I'm not a big fan of.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #549
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

When does it the 5 come out?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #550
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
When does it the 5 come out?

Pre-orders starting on the 14th, start selling in stores 21st.