Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #501
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Its been Jack vs Locke since the beginning. It has to be Jack vs Locke.

That seems like the most probable ending, but I think we see all the different speculation because a lot of folks associated with the show (writers, actors, etc.) have indicated that the ending will be unexpected and not something that has been widely speculated.

Last edited by Swaggs : 05-13-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #502
Pyser
Pro Rookie

there is no locke, so.....
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #503
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Meaning they did it "their way" with no regrets?

Regrets? They have a few. But then again, too few to mention.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #504
spleen1015
Coordinator

Bill Simmons' latest podcast is him interviewing Carlton Cuse.

ESPN Radio

BS Report May 14th.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #505
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I just rewatched last week's episode and realized something...

We know have MIB with a soul and no body and Jacob with a body and no soul (his ashes that Hurley has).

Me thinks the elctromagnetic event will reunite MIB's soul with Jacob's body allowing him to be killed.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #506
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I just rewatched last week's episode and realized something...

We know have MIB with a soul and no body and Jacob with a body and no soul (his ashes that Hurley has).

Me thinks the elctromagnetic event will reunite MIB's soul with Jacob's body allowing him to be killed.

Worthy of consideration.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #507
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Tonight was a great episode! My only regret was that they didn't spend longer on Jacob and the 4 candidates. This felt like it could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour or even 2 hour episode and not have felt drawn out. Plus I'm finally really getting into the alternate-timeline too.

For the first time in a few seasons, I really enjoyed Ben Linus again too. Him being the mischievous evil guy is so much better than the past year or so.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #508
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Tonight was a great episode! My only regret was that they didn't spend longer on Jacob and the 4 candidates. This felt like it could have easily been a 1 1/2 hour or even 2 hour episode and not have felt drawn out. Plus I'm finally really getting into the alternate-timeline too.

For the first time in a few seasons, I really enjoyed Ben Linus again too. Him being the mischievous evil guy is so much better than the past year or so.

Totally with you, but the producers have said that they really don't want to have a "Sit down and explain everything" where they explain everything, which I know will be good in the long run, but damn...I was like "please keep explaining things!" during that part.

Also loving Ben again. Always loved him, but seeing him back to his "normal" self is fun.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #509
Swaggs
Coordinator

Well done -- I liked that they kind of let the four candidates sit down and some of the questions that the audience wanted answered. I thought Widmore would be playing a more central role and I hope we find out what his angle is/was in the finale.

The flash sideways is coming along pretty well now. Looks like the big event will be the concert that Jack's son is playing. I wonder if Juliet will make an appearance?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #510
spleen1015
Coordinator

I thought Widmore would play a bigger role as we got to the end as well. It is definitely good to see big bad Ben again.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #511
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I thought Widmore would be playing a more central role and I hope we find out what his angle is/was in the finale.

I think they have explained as much as they're going to about the 'angles' motivations, etc. of the people we have met on the island (others, Dharma, Widmore). They are essentially all covered by the category of becoming corrupt in seeking the source of the island's power. The details are irrelevant (to the showrunners, not the audience I think).
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #512
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm still not putting Ben in the bad column. He had a legitimate bone to pick with Widmore (for killing Alex). Plus, Locke promised him the island for his help and then ended the show by saying he was going to destroy it kind of puts him in a grey area for me. Although, he did ask who else needed killing...so? I kind of see him maybe playing the role of the tragic hero in the finale, but we'll see.

Do we think Richard is dead or that he just got tossed into the jungle so that he couldn't interfere?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #513
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think you are right about Ben, Swaggs. He's likely making Flocke think he's on his side only to double cross him in the end. I don't think he's bad necessarily. It is just cool to see the old seasons 3-5 Ben come back.

I really hope a cool character like Richard doesn't go out like that. He needs a bigger send off than that.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #514
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think you are right about Ben, Swaggs. He's likely making Flocke think he's on his side only to double cross him in the end. I don't think he's bad necessarily. It is just cool to see the old seasons 3-5 Ben come back.

I really hope a cool character like Richard doesn't go out like that. He needs a bigger send off than that.

This, I don't think Widmore is dead. Ben saved him by shooting him (since the "rules" say he can't kill him) and tricked MIB into thinking he was on his side.

If Jacob told Widmore everything he'd have to do then everything went according to plan just as it always has. There's no other reason to hide in the closet unless it's part of the plan. Besides if Ben was really going to kill Widmore before he told MIB his plans he would have done it right away AND there's no way Widmore tells MIB the truth. Widmore knows if MIB wins and gets off the island that Penny and everyone are dead anyways.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #515
bob
College Starter

I have been very disappointed with this season and the resolution of this show. The following quote sums up my thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Nussbaum, New York Magazine
But on the larger, structural level, the episode was infuriating on about eight different levels, although I'll just focus on one: The fact that Widmore's motives are now reduced to "Jacob convinced me to drop everything and kill Smokey." It's not the biggest deal, but it's another factor in the shriveling of everything ambiguous to the framing device of good versus evil. (I mean, recall that Widmore created an ENTIRE FAKE DECOY AIRPLANE OF CORPSES, alienated his daughter, and so on, to get the island back, and there was that whole "you broke the rules" thing with Ben, right? But now, it's like none of that ever happened.) Nothing that was key in the early seasons — the origins of the Dharma initiative, that devastating death-in-childbirth issue, the themes of rebuilding a diverse society — is even in play.

So much of the past seasons of this show are pointless. Time travel, Dharma, etc, are all dead end plot points. In the grand scheme of it all, my favorite episode, The Constant, is meaningless.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #516
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
In the grand scheme of it all, my favorite episode, The Constant, is meaningless.

I would withhold judgment on that point until the finale. It seems pretty clear that Desmond is going to play a major role in the end game.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #517
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I would withhold judgment on that point until the finale. It seems pretty clear that Desmond is going to play a major role in the end game.

Fair enough, but if time travel magically becomes important again, it will seem shoe-horned in.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #518
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Was The Constant time-travel? Or was it some sort of consciousness travel? If it's consciousness travel, then doesn't it seem quite relevant to the sideways vs. island plot thread?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #519
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
So much of the past seasons of this show are pointless. Time travel, Dharma, etc, are all dead end plot points. In the grand scheme of it all, my favorite episode, The Constant, is meaningless.

I hope you are wrong. There are many loose ends that will not be tied-up neatly. I think we will learn what the golden light means and that will explain time travel and Dharma, the Faradays (which means Widmore's motivations) as well as the bomb.

The problem with the New York writer is that she still doesn't understand there is no framing device of good versus evil. If she has not figured out by now that Jacob is not pure good and MIB is not pure evil, then her opinions are no better than any other candy chomping fat chick who is hoping Jack and Sawyer will choose her over Kate. Both have nothing to do with the real story developing on LOST.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 05-20-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #520
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I agree with the New Yorker writer completely
Old 05-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #521
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

You can't deny her point. Three things are possible:

1. They were making it up pretty much as they went along.
2. They weren't making it up, but decided to really focus on red herrings for most of the time.
3. The finale is going to be mind-blowing in its ability to tie up loose ends.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #522
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Story is there's an extra 20 mins of footage shot for the finale being included in the dvd/blu ray to answer more questions that fans might have but weren't able to fit into the episode or didn't focus on their resolution of the story.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #523
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

2. They weren't making it up, but decided to really focus on red herrings for most of the time.

To me, Lost is like they filmed 6 seasons of a really good roleplaying game in a modern day setting. The Gamemasters (the writers) knew where they wanted to start and where they were going to end, and probably had a few key mile markers/scenes that they could see from Day 1.

But like any game, you have to adjust for adding players and players leaving, and players not doing exactly what you expect. You have broad swatches of what you want to do planned, but you're making up all the details along the way because you have to - it's interactive with the players.

It's a point inbetween knowing everything and completely making it up from moment to moment. And just like Lost, the best roleplaying campaigns are about the journey and the story along the way. You hope that the GM will wrap it up really nicely at the end, but if he doesn't, it didn't invalidate the good time you had playing in the first place.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #524
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I agree with the New Yorker writer completely

All that means is that you are content to be completely wrong, too.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #525
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Those three things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I say those three things are essential to create a compelling work of fiction in any genre.

You start with an idea, grow that into an outline, then fill in. Along the way, you embellish, change to better ideas, but keep the central premise in mind.

That is how it is always done. Learn about JK Rowling who is close to the best in terms of knowing exactly where she was going and who everyone was. She always claimed to know exactly what the final few words would be, yet when she got there, she admitted she altered them. That is how it always is for any great writer.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #526
Ironhead
College Prospect

Loved & Lost | National Post
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #527
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Malifcent and OldGiants - I am actually not bitter about much, and have enjoyed every season very much.

I suppose this should wait until after tomorrow night, but I guess the point the writer makes that I agree with is so much time was spent on Charles Widmore as the main antagonist of the show; if his participation is finished at this point I find it disappointing. It just seems liked a significant plot strand dropped.

And FWIW I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere (I read too much about this show to pull it up right now) they hadn't really decided on the Jacob/MiB dichotomy until at least after the first season; I don't feel this particularly detracts from where they've gone, but it does make it true that they haven't known all along where this was going.

They say they've known the last scene from tomorrow's episode since the beginning, and I believe that. I'm just not sure it's going to be necessarily about what we've been watching the five seasons since.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-22-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #528
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm just a tad late to the party but my wife and I just caught up tonight

We started watching on SciFi when they picked it up, what, a year and a half ago, I guess? And we caught up on there and hulu. That said, I think this will be the sort of thing where it'll be hard to avoid spoilers unless you just don't go to any media outlet. It'll be plastered all over things like the Yahoo and AOL "news" welcome screens, late night talk shows will crack jokes about it- that sort of thing.

So we're kindof happy to be caught up so we can see the finale

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-23-2010 at 01:18 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #529
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Gonna miss you, Lost.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #530
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am more excited for this series finale than I was for the Sopranos.

I hope the Dynamic Duo doesn't let us down.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #531
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, what's the deal tonight. 2 hour cast interview first?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #532
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

2 hours of self congratulation first

SI

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #533
Swaggs
Coordinator

There is an hour of the Jimmy Kimmel Show celebrating Lost afterwards (maybe after the local news?), as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #534
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

into the light ya go desmond
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #535
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We might come back to it, but

Spoiler

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-23-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #536
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

SI - I disagree. The light isn't gone and that was his job to protect it. I think the island sinks in that timeline, but arises in the other.

No need for spoiler tags I think, if you don't want to know what happened in the finale get out of here
Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #537
Groundhog
Coordinator

If the episode has finished, can someone please sum it all up in like one paragraph for someone who watched all of season 1, lost interest 2 episodes in to season 2, and then never watched it again? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #538
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

about an hour left
Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #539
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jack is terrible at protecting the island.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #540
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

remember earlier in the series when they said the black smoke was the island's security system?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #541
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

One of many things they said and later decided to ignore.

This episode has been great so far.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #542
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
One of many things they said and later decided to ignore.

This episode has been great so far.
ignore? What do you think will happen to Jack?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #543
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

a good finale
Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #544
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
ignore? What do you think will happen to Jack?

Nothing
Old 05-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #545
spleen1015
Coordinator

ROFL. Figured it out. NVM.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-23-2010 at 10:37 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #546
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Absolutely great finale.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #547
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno. To me, they excellently explained the "flash sideways" part of the plot. They kindof neglected to explain the, you know, "real world/island" part.

SI

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #548
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I dunno. To me, they excellently explained the "flash sideways" part of the plot. They kindof neglected to explain the, you know, "real world/island" part.

SI

Jack died. Hurley and Ben stay on the island to protect it and everyone else made it off on the plane.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #549
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm asolutely positively and completely.....meh
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #550
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I think what happened was Jack died. Then the plane crashed and Kate, Claire, Sawyer, Miles, Richard, and Frank died. I believe Desmond, Hurley, and Ben survived to protect the island then they finally decided to step down.

Hence Hurley's comment that Ben was a good number 2 implying that they lived for a long while after.