Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #501
chinaski
College Prospect

I cant believe it took me 8 episodes of the Leftovers to realize the priest is Christopher Eccleston. Im a bad wolf.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I binged on Nathan for You this week. In the era of streaming/DVRing shows, no other show has come close in terms of number of times I had to pause and rewind because I was laughing too hard to hear what was going on.

The little voice-overs and details (like showing Nathan being an hour and a half into a four-hour-long YouTube video of the exorcist they use for the ghost realtor) just kill me.

Bumping to the next page cause the show is way too good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 AM   #503
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Patrick Warburton set to reboot 'The Tick' as an Amazon pilot.

This really makes my day.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #504
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I loved the animated series, never saw the live action one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #505
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I never see this show mentioned here but I just gave Banshee a shot thanks to Cinemax being included in a cable bundle and it was terrific. It's not terribly high brow but it does the "bad ass protagonist" about as well as I've seen. Lot of good action scenes, compelling story, and lots of nudity.

Between that and The Knick, I'd recommend giving Cinemax a run for a few months. They have some decent shows now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #506
samifan24
Pro Starter

Anyone else enjoying The Strain on FX?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #507
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I thought The Strain got slow for a couple episodes but I watch the three most recent ones yesterday and thought the series definitely picked up. Really likes the most recent episode.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #508
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Anyone else have an interest in The Last Ship. It has been kinda up and down for me but the finale was very good.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #509
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Anyone else enjoying The Strain on FX?

I am really enjoying it, probably more than I should.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #510
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Anyone else have an interest in The Last Ship. It has been kinda up and down for me but the finale was very good.

Yeah - I've been watching it. Fun, enjoyable show. I like the fact that they're keeping the plot moving along in it.

Seems similar to Falling Skies, but better. Similar in the "popcorn tv" sense I mean.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #511
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

30 minutes into episode 1 I wasn't sure. I'm completely hooked now though, love it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #512
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I questioned why the hell I was watching the Last Ship pretty much the entire time, but I ended up enjoying the finale.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #513
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

So longmire was canceled? Man I"m bummed by that one. I loved the first two, and season three was a bit rocky but really ended on a high.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #514
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
So longmire was canceled? Man I"m bummed by that one. I loved the first two, and season three was a bit rocky but really ended on a high.

Yeah I haven't watched it since the 1st few episodes, but seems strange to cancel it now, when it got the second highest ratings (behind Duck Dynasty) on the network. Word is though that there may be a fourth season:

‘Longmire’ Cancelled By A&E Network: Series Will Be Shopped Elsewhere | Deadline
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #515
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From the article, a network called "Arts & Entertainment": "After a foray into scripted programming, the network appears to be scaling back, refocusing on its bread-and-butter unscripted fare."

Silly

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #516
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Really enjoyed Longmire although the whole Branch thing got to be a little much.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #517
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A&E needs more stuff like Big Smo' on their schedule.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #518
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
A&E needs more stuff like Big Smo' on their schedule.

{shrug} Pulls better numbers with lower production costs. Hell, every network needs more shows like that.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #519
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I get all that, I'm just always going to be in favor of creative scripted stuff vs more reality dreck. I think I've seen maybe 1 episode of Longmire, I don't really have much skin in the game.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #520
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So apparently Fox is going to start a "dramedy" (side note, I hate that word) called Red Band Society about long-term pediatric patients in a hospital.

I have no words.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #521
chadritt
High School Varsity

It airs next week I think. I vaguely remember one review saying it was decent and treated the subject matter appropriately....but I can't find it now
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #522
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
So apparently Fox is going to start a "dramedy" (side note, I hate that word) called Red Band Society about long-term pediatric patients in a hospital.

I have no words.

/tk

They've been advertising this one pretty aggressively these days....I think it's even got some sorta Spielberg connection. There seems to be a (re-emerging?) trend going for twee teens struggling through the mysteries of life and love under the shadow of various flavors of life-threatening illness. ZzzzZZZZzzz.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #523
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
ZzzzZZZZzzz.

+1

Though I'm not a fan of the potential for the depressing parts, either. I want to laugh. Not cry. I get enough of that stuff in real life.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 AM   #524
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bridge is great.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #525
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Bridge is great.

Agreed. I think the move away from the Marco-Tate plot line was one of the best things to happen to the show. That was a distraction from all the intriguing border-related issues going on. I'll be sorry to see this season end.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #526
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Agreed. I think the move away from the Marco-Tate plot line was one of the best things to happen to the show. That was a distraction from all the intriguing border-related issues going on. I'll be sorry to see this season end.
Definitely. Although last night's reminded me a little of the Tate stuff with unbelievable timing coincidences.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #527
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Just posted.

TV Check-in: ‘The Bridge’ Is the Best Show on TV You’re Probably Still Not Watching «
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #528
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While I really didn't like the Tate stuff from last season, I liked it well enough and have all the episodes recorded. I just finished of Rectify this morning, so the Bridge is up next.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #529
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the kids and I have been watching Going Deep with David Rees. Really, really fun and interesting show.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #530
Jas_lov
College Starter

I thought The Leftovers was brilliant. Most emotional part in the finale was Nora walking into the kitchen and seeing those mannequins. Every week the show was so intense. I guess Garvey wished for his family to get back together?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #531
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I thought The Leftovers was brilliant. Most emotional part in the finale was Nora walking into the kitchen and seeing those mannequins. Every week the show was so intense. I guess Garvey wished for his family to get back together?

I agree. I loved this show. This show and many of the themes presented in it resonated very, very strongly with me.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #532
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

That's what I assumed on the wish as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree. I loved this show. This show and many of the themes presented in it resonated very, very strongly with me.

Agree, I really, really enjoy it. Its a hell of an emotional ride but its one I like being on.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #533
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Love Nora. I guess they're basically out of book material now. There was some plot they didn't use involving Brennaman and Tyler but I doubt it will get recycled.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #534
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Best ending to an episode ever.

To bad this is the last season.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #535
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The cop who interviewed Garvey in the diner was that ATFEC guy he'd talked to on the phone, right?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #536
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Just because I now I'm always looking for something like this around this time of year and I imagine others are too

Fall TV Schedule: August - September 2014 |Fall TV schedule for start of 2014-2015 season | TVGuide.com
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #537
chinaski
College Prospect

Watched 15 episodes of the Killing since yesterday, holy moley, this show is spectacular. First episode of season 2 was some of the most heart wrenching shit ive ever seen.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #538
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Watched 15 episodes of the Killing since yesterday, holy moley, this show is spectacular. First episode of season 2 was some of the most heart wrenching shit ive ever seen.
Haha. I think the Killing will be a really divisive show where people who watched it live all hate it, and those who watch it on Netflix will have a favorable opinion.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #539
Thomkal
Head Coach

So anyone see Gotham last night? I'm not a big Batman fan, but I was hoping I could like a pre-Batman Gotham City. Alas, I could not. The mob and the police force working together? :::yawn::: Fish Mooney? :::ugh::: Alfred with an Australian accent (...WTF?...) About the only thing good was the acting of Ben Mckenzie (James Gordon) and the good connection already between Gordon and young Bruce Wayne.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #540
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
So anyone see Gotham last night? I'm not a big Batman fan, but I was hoping I could like a pre-Batman Gotham City. Alas, I could not. The mob and the police force working together? :::yawn::: Fish Mooney? :::ugh::: Alfred with an Australian accent (...WTF?...) About the only thing good was the acting of Ben Mckenzie (James Gordon) and the good connection already between Gordon and young Bruce Wayne.

I thought it had some real promise. I loved Bullock (love that actor). I thought the Penguin was great. The Riddler was great. Falcone was good. Fish Mooney was surprisingly effective. Very solid pilot that set up a lot of interesting pieces.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #541
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't see anything wrong with the mob and police working together. That is the basic tension at the heart of "Batman Begins" after all. And it creates interesting moral dilemmas for a police serial.

I thought the pilot suffered from exposition heaviness... but its a pilot. In order to get picked up, a lot of pilots stuff way too much in there. So I'm hopefully... I like the cast and that works.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #542
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the mob and police working together. That is the basic tension at the heart of "Batman Begins" after all. And it creates interesting moral dilemmas for a police serial.

I thought the pilot suffered from exposition heaviness... but its a pilot. In order to get picked up, a lot of pilots stuff way too much in there. So I'm hopefully... I like the cast and that works.

It's just such an old plot idea-seen it in so many books, movies, comics, etc. I want to be surprised at some point, as I often am with Arrow and Agents of Shield with how they rework a character or central theme of DC/Marvel. Realize its just the pilot so will watch the next couple of episodes and hope for improvement.

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-23-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #543
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But it is a part of the Batman story. Why Gotham is such a shithole. You really can't take that away without making a different story than Batman.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #544
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post

...What? I mean it does a great job of making Seattle look dreary as hell, and I really enjoyed the first season, but man do I want to slap Sarah almost every episode. Holder is who really carries the show IMO, but not even he can carry Season 2, which is just tedious and overwrought.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #545
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Alfred with an Australian accent (...WTF?...)

It is definitely a British accent. It sounds like an East London accent.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #546
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I missed that comment. Have you not heard of Sean Pertwee?

Sean Pertwee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born in London... son of the actor who played the 3rd Doctor Who (who was born in Chelsea).
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #547
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though I guess that means (Sean Pertwee being Alfred, I mean) if Gotham takes off, that means less (if any) Lestrade in "Elementary"
Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #548
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

No real interest in the show. It's like the producers are willfully being stupid.

Q: What's the most interesting thing about Gotham City?

A: It's where Batman operates.

Why don't we make a show about Gotham that doesn't include that thing we all agree is most intriguing. It's just as stupid as making Smallville was.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #549
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I liked the episode of Gotham last night.

Which one was the Riddler though? I missed that one. (I don't know what his actual name was I guess)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #550
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
No real interest in the show. It's like the producers are willfully being stupid.

Q: What's the most interesting thing about Gotham City?

A: It's where Batman operates.

Why don't we make a show about Gotham that doesn't include that thing we all agree is most intriguing. It's just as stupid as making Smallville was.
Shurg. I like origin stories when they're done well. The problem with Smallville (and anything Superman) is that the guy's invincible. You can come up with a plausible supervillain for a blockbuster movie, but not 22 times a season or whatever. (The CW-ness didn't help Smallville either, but Arrow's managed to create a solid overall show despite the required teen relationship drama.)

One thing I do wonder about with american channels ripping off European shows so much is when(/if) any of the big 4 will ever at least try and do a couple shorter seasons like you see so often from BBC. I realize it doesn't fit their scheduling as well, but I see so many good shows from The Killing to Last Resort to even parts of season 2/3 of Lost that were killed by trying to stretch out a mystery without having a defined end date. Why not do some 5-6 episode miniseries?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-23-2014 at 05:41 PM.