Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #5451
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
You hold the Phillies to 4 hits, you gotta win the game. Can't help but feel like they gave this one away. And now Werth goes yard, great.

Yea. I don't see how this doesn't go 7 now unless Lidge blows up here in the 9th.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #5452
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Yea. I don't see how this doesn't go 7 now unless Lidge blows up here in the 9th.

Lidge once balked with the bases loaded this year...
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #5453
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ugh. Stop shooting yourselves in the foot guys!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #5454
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Have they mentioned who is starting game 6 for them, if necessary? Oswalt might not be lights out after yesterday.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #5455
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #5456
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Have they mentioned who is starting game 6 for them, if necessary? Oswalt might not be lights out after yesterday.

Oswalt would start game 6. He only threw ten pitches or so in relief.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #5457
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

He'll have the crowd and his record there this yr is disgusting. Giants will need the Sanchez who closed out the Pads to have a chance.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #5458
RedKingGold
College Starter

Welp. Here we go.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #5459
kingfc22
Head Coach

Need to get the lead off man on.

BUT Panda will probably try to hard to atone for his error and up striking out
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #5460
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Welp. Here we go.

I don't know whether to piss myself or go blind
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #5461
RedKingGold
College Starter

Ballgame. Thank you Brad Lidge, circa 2008.

Now, let's get the Phillies the hell out of AT&T Park as possible. I want you guys boarding the plane from the dugout.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #5462
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

We still have life.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #5463
kingfc22
Head Coach

Welp. Two more chances.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #5464
Comey
College Starter

One down, two more to go. Been a great series.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #5465
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
One down, two more to go. Been a great series.

Indeed. The better team has one each game so far.

Should be fun on Saturday.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #5466
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Bad call and big error did the giants in tonight. there goes my relaxing weekend...
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #5467
RedKingGold
College Starter

Phillies Post-Game is reporting that Halladay may have an injury issue which hurt his effectiveness tonight. Manuel's supposed to have more in the post-game press conference.

EDIT: Halladay sustained a minor groin pull in the second inning. Cholly felt it first hand.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-21-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #5468
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There is no way the Giants fans can use that "bad call" as an excuse in this one. If their 3B steps on the bag it's a double play and the call goes the Giants way.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #5469
RedKingGold
College Starter

There have been bad calls on both sides, it all evens out in the end and the better team will win (whether it be the Giants or the Phillies).

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-21-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #5470
kingfc22
Head Coach

That call did not do the Giants in tonight. It was their shitty defensive effort and inability to get the key hit.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #5471
kingfc22
Head Coach

The two biggest plays of the game were Ruiz getting plunked when Lincecum was way ahead in the count and Sandoval not getting back to 3rd on the sac bunt.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #5472
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I agree (saw it again at home, not in a bar ). it was a bad call, however the mental errors, 3b and 1b were the real killers.

Last edited by AENeuman : 10-21-2010 at 11:21 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #5473
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was a tough game to be in the stadium for. The Phillies beat the Giants the way the Giants have been beating everyone else all postseason: taking advantage of errors and bending, but not breaking, on the mound.

The Giants had plenty of chances all game long, and hung in long enough to keep you hoping...but it wasn't enough. Madson was freaking incredible in the 8th. It strikes me that he would make an incredible closer...

Now, back to CBP for the two-game finale. Giants still have the upper hand, but I'm not exactly comfortable with this.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #5474
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
There is no way the Giants fans can use that "bad call" as an excuse in this one. If their 3B steps on the bag it's a double play and the call goes the Giants way.

I didn't see most of the game, but I did see a play in the first inning that looked like a blown call to me.

Utley flubs the grounder, closing the glove on top of the ball and leaving it behind while chasing the runner back toward first with an empty glove, then turning around, picking the ball up, and throwing it to second for the force and the second out of the inning.

Shouldn't that have been obstruction on Utley under rule 7.06? He was preventing the runner from advancing to the next base without possession of the ball.

If I'm reading that rule correctly, and it were applied correctly, the Giants would have had runners on first and second with one out and a run scored, not a runner on first with two out.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #5475
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

This. A thousand times this. It was a fortuitous break that Pablo screwed up.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #5476
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I didn't see most of the game, but I did see a play in the first inning that looked like a blown call to me.

Utley flubs the grounder, closing the glove on top of the ball and leaving it behind while chasing the runner back toward first with an empty glove, then turning around, picking the ball up, and throwing it to second for the force and the second out of the inning.

Shouldn't that have been obstruction on Utley under rule 7.06? He was preventing the runner from advancing to the next base without possession of the ball.

If I'm reading that rule correctly, and it were applied correctly, the Giants would have had runners on first and second with one out and a run scored, not a runner on first with two out.

Since you brought this to my attention earlier, I've been thinking about it. I think since the runner stopped before he fielded the ball, he's in the clear. Attempting to avoid an easy DP, the runner stopped before the ball was (not) fielded. Therefore, Utley didn't prevent the runner from advancing, the runner prevented himself from advancing (since he stopped first). At least, if I were an ump or MLB trying to defend a no-call, that's what I'd argue.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #5477
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Since you brought this to my attention earlier, I've been thinking about it. I think since the runner stopped before he fielded the ball, he's in the clear. Attempting to avoid an easy DP, the runner stopped before the ball was (not) fielded. Therefore, Utley didn't prevent the runner from advancing, the runner prevented himself from advancing (since he stopped first). At least, if I were an ump or MLB trying to defend a no-call, that's what I'd argue.

The thing is, he stopped to avoid running into the tag, but retreated when Utley was chasing him, sans ball.

Utley didn't have the right to the basepath, and by his actions was impeding the runner's ability to advance to the next base.

Especially since a runner at liability to be put out was trailing in that case. If Utley chases the guy all the way back to first without the ball, the batter-runner is being forced out in a situation where he otherwise would not have been.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #5478
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The thing is, he stopped to avoid running into the tag, but retreated when Utley was chasing him, sans ball.

Utley didn't have the right to the basepath, and by his actions was impeding the runner's ability to advance to the next base.

Especially since a runner at liability to be put out was trailing in that case. If Utley chases the guy all the way back to first without the ball, the batter-runner is being forced out in a situation where he otherwise would not have been.

Still not obstruction since therunner is the one that made the decision to stop. If he keeps running and runs into Utley then an arguement can be made but there is still a major grey area since everything happened in the legal act of fielding the ball. That would be like saying a catcher should be called for obstruction because he dropped the throw home when blocking the plate on a play.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #5479
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Madson was freaking incredible in the 8th. It strikes me that he would make an incredible closer...

That's been tried but he doesn't have the head for it. It seems that he psyches himself out when he is in a closer role. It's almost like he needs the safety net of knowing that he just has to get it to where he hands it off to the closer.

He had been tried as a starter before as well but doesn't have a starter's mentality either (maybe he holds back too much to not tire himself out too quickly). It seems that he has found his place in the 8th inning and the problems come if he strays too far from that.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #5480
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Gonna be tough to win one in CBP, now that the Giants have the Phillies full attention.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 AM   #5481
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Still not obstruction since therunner is the one that made the decision to stop. If he keeps running and runs into Utley then an arguement can be made but there is still a major grey area since everything happened in the legal act of fielding the ball. That would be like saying a catcher should be called for obstruction because he dropped the throw home when blocking the plate on a play.

See, that's where I quibble. I don't think "everything" happened in the legal act of fielding the ball. To me, the legal act of fielding the ball ended the minute he began to pursue the runner. At that point, he has ceased to be in the act of attempting to make a play.

Rule 2.00 backs me up on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB rulebook
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner.

Once the player has made the attempt and failed, he is no longer "in the act."

Rule 2.00 makes it a judgment call as to whether or not obstruction occurred, but it also makes it quite clear that, by definition, Utley had no legal right to be in the path of the runner once he missed the ball.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #5482
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, that's where I quibble. I don't think "everything" happened in the legal act of fielding the ball. To me, the legal act of fielding the ball ended the minute he began to pursue the runner. At that point, he has ceased to be in the act of attempting to make a play.

Rule 2.00 makes it a judgment call as to whether or not obstruction occurred, but it also makes it quite clear that, by definition, Utley had no legal right to be in the path of the runner once he missed the ball.

But it was a continuation play. The runner had already stopped before he started to go after him and at that point once Utley saw that he didn't have the ball he went back to get it while the runner continued back toward first.

This is not close to the example of diving for the ball and purposely staying there to obstruct the runner after the ball got past you.

An even better example of this would be a throw to second on a steal attempt that gets past the fielder that is covering. The initial tangle is not interference but it only becomes interference if the fielder then purposely tries to hold the runner down. There needs to be perceived intent to interfere.

If the runner tried to go to second and Utley just stood there in his way, then it becomes interference.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #5483
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
But it was a continuation play. The runner had already stopped before he started to go after him and at that point once Utley saw that he didn't have the ball he went back to get it while the runner continued back toward first.

This is not close to the example of diving for the ball and purposely staying there to obstruct the runner after the ball got past you.

I went back and watched the video. He took fewer steps than I recalled (although in my defense I've been loopy on cold medicine all day).

The example in rule 2.00 is not meant to be all-inclusive, for what that's worth.

But the step-and-a-half Utley took instead of the 4 or 5 I was thinking he took doesn't rise to the level of obstruction.

Objection withdrawn.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #5484
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Gutsy effort by Doc!

Halladay Fights Through Injury to Keep Phils Alive
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #5485
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Thought this was really cool. It's a heatmpa of Mariano Rivera's pitches. Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet.

Replacement Level Yankees Weblog
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #5486
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Gonna be tough to win one in CBP, now that the Giants have the Phillies full attention.

Meh...I'm betting the G-men's bats wake up in game 6. The Giants should go back to Rowand in CF, Renteria at SS, Uribe at 3B. I don't understand the why you would put Sandoval and Torres back in there just because they got on base a couple times. Torres still looks like my grandmother up there. He's a guaranteed out, if he's not walked. Put the guys in that are least likely to make an error, and let the 2-7 batters do what they've done all year. Sanchez will give 7 or 8 innings giving up zero earned, and Oswalt will be thrown out of whack because of the extra live game time.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-22-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #5487
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

While Renteria doesn't make errors, he also doesn't get to a ton of balls. Pablo has looked dramatically better at the plate recently, and I much prefer Uribe + Pablo to Uribe + Renteria. I also think that Torres is a huge defensive upgrade over Rowand, and the offensive upside of Torres is much higher than Rowand, even though Andres has been pretty awful lately.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #5488
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
While Renteria doesn't make errors, he also doesn't get to a ton of balls. Pablo has looked dramatically better at the plate recently, and I much prefer Uribe + Pablo to Uribe + Renteria. I also think that Torres is a huge defensive upgrade over Rowand, and the offensive upside of Torres is much higher than Rowand, even though Andres has been pretty awful lately.

I'm speaking strictly about performance in the last few weeks. Torres is slumping as hard as any player on the roster has slumped all year. Rowand is laying off of balls in the dirt and making solid contact in nearly every at bat. Torres may have fantastic range in CF, but he's a rally killer in cleats at the plate right now. No reason to have a guy like that in the lineup, I don't care who you are or how well you did during the season.

Sandoval has played two games this postseason, and made two throwing errors that extended innings. His goof in the 3rd inning not knowing where he was on the field in relation to the base was something that's inexcusable in minor league ball, let alone the MLB playoffs. I can't remember the last time Renteria had three major gaffs in a month, let alone in 10 days.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #5489
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

I'm really not sure which post to quote, since I'm not discussing this...but as we're discussing the fielding, I thought I'd bring this up (I don't know if it already was).

What Sandoval did when Rollins stole third in the seventh (fake tag) was obstruction as well. It wasn't called because Rollins was getting the bag anyway, but those plays are generally frowned upon by players because of the possibility of getting hurt on the slide (this comes from a book I read, at least).

Why Sandoval even bothered with a fake tag is beyond me. I really can think of no reason for him to have even attempted that.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #5491
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
That wasn't even close to an out. Glad the Yanks got screwed.
I nearly said the same thing but I knew they'd show it in super slow-mo like they have with everything else this post season.. and it shows he was out. Good call, but probably not something the ump SAW in all honesty.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #5493
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
I nearly said the same thing but I knew they'd show it in super slow-mo like they have with everything else this post season.. and it shows he was out. Good call, but probably not something the ump SAW in all honesty.

This.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #5495
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

holy shit, yankees baseball is pretty much the worst baseball to watch, EVER.

it is absolutely UNBEARABLE to watch them. it's the bottom of the 4th, two outs and a runner on first but they're acting as if it's the bottom of the 9th with how long it takes with each pitch.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #5497
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

How the hell do you miss that call? Jeez, umps are freaking awful this season.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #5498
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That is fucking horrible. Bring on the fucking robots.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #5499
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
How do the umps continually fuck up these easy calls?

It's not like the batter went down as if he got hit.................
Old 10-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #5500
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
It's not like the batter went down as if he got hit.................

and had an obvious showing of pain on his face. Nahhhhhhh
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote