Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #5451
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess if he was doing this for the good of the country in a non-partisan way, then why the need for distributed talking points?
Talking points are simply summaries for his supporters to use when discussing why HE wants to do this. Given no one can get inside of McCain's head, it's usually a good idea for a candidate to supply them to make sure those who represent them know why he's doing something.

The genius in it is calling the memo "Talking Points", which makes it seem much more insidious. Instead, if you actually read the memo, it makes McCain look very good. So, because of the scandalous title, the media will be stating that McCain was secretly hoping to "suspend advertising and fundraising" to instead try to help with this crisis.

Sure paints him in a bad light, doesn't it?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #5452
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
would you possibly think anything else? this page of the thread is a massive lesson on how badly Arles is spun.

And what in the world do you think that you are any different??? I see no difference between you and JonInMiddleGA.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #5453
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm not sure what is more scary...you making a YCDTOTV reference or me not even having to do a double-take on the acronym. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

"Daaaahahhhhh... I heard that!"

(hope this site doesn't have an anti-hotlinking policy)
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #5454
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And what in the world do you think that you are any different??? I see no difference between you and JonInMiddleGA.

Now THAT is funny.

Hey Jon! Joo hear that? I wasnt even talking about choo. LOL

Oh and BTW, McCain told a bold faced lie when he told Letterman he wasnt in NY and Letterman showed the feed of Johnny Mac taping his interview with Couric. So perhaps he just forgot he was in NY or he told a bold faced lie. y'know....I dont like lying, nope, not at all.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-24-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #5455
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And speaking of things I figured were beyond obvious (as I was in a post before this one) ... it isn't 930pm Friday that would be the problem with the debate, it would be the time not spent prepping for the debate while doing, you know, what a Senator should be doing such as participating in Senate business.

McCain hasn't made a vote since April, suddenly he's all about the business of the Senate?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #5456
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
would you possibly think anything else? this page of the thread is a massive lesson on how badly Arles is spun.
So, stating that McCain is "spinning" the media and this thread shows how "spun" I am. I am not sure that even makes sense, but I'll repost what Kodos linked to earlier to help explain all this:

Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #5457
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yep, but he'll keep insisting that he's seeing both sides, blah, blah.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #5458
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently Harry Reid does as well (see above).

And are you forgetting to factor in a plane ride and all that it takes to get ready for a debate which is almost hundreds of miles from DC?

He had plenty of time today to meet with Rothschild and plenty of time tomorrow to give a speech at Clinton's global warming event.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #5459
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
McCain hasn't made a vote since April, suddenly he's all about the business of the Senate?
Would you agree with the premise that the banking crisis is slightly more important than whether or not spotted owls need protection in northwestern Oregon?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #5460
Flasch186
Coordinator

yes

Would you admit that McCain lied about his location today?

BTW, this may be a fun game.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-24-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #5461
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Talking points are simply summaries for his supporters to use when discussing why HE wants to do this. Given no one can get inside of McCain's head, it's usually a good idea for a candidate to supply them to make sure those who represent them know why he's doing something.

The genius in it is calling the memo "Talking Points", which makes it seem much more insidious. Instead, if you actually read the memo, it makes McCain look very good. So, because of the scandalous title, the media will be stating that McCain was secretly hoping to "suspend advertising and fundraising" to instead try to help with this crisis.

Sure paints him in a bad light, doesn't it?

I did read it. And several of the points brought up in it are wrong. Obama contacted the McCain campaign that morning, not the other way around. And it was the Bush administration that invited Obama to the discussions, not the McCain campaign.

Take into account that McCain hasn't voted on a Senate measure since April Votes by John McCain | Congress votes database | washingtonpost.com , it seems a little bit of a stretch that now all of a sudden nothing can get done on the bailout unless he drops everything and heads back to Washington.

Or is his lack of voting yet another master plan that is playing the public and the media like a fiddle?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #5462
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

LOLLERS, McCain stood Letterman up and who did Letterman get instead: Keith Olberman. Must see TV.

YouTube - David Letterman Reacts to John McCain Suspending Campaign

For anyone who doesn't feel like waiting/staying up lateish.

Letterman was on fire.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #5463
Flasch186
Coordinator

Well it's just a Hollywood type. him speaking out is probably good for McCain, sympathy wise, i mean. right? Well Letterman's just full of shit. That CBS feed was from a few days ago and the Senator wasn't ever scheduled to be on. It's just a vast Liberal Media bias playing out. And that wasn't even the real McCain over there on Couric's show because we all know that Johnny wouldve never let someone apply makeup, that makeup tech wouldve walked away with 2 broken arms and a limp....bloody.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-24-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #5464
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now THAT is funny.

Hey Jon! Joo hear that? I wasnt even talking about choo. LOL

Oh and BTW, McCain told a bold faced lie when he told Letterman he wasnt in NY and Letterman showed the feed of Johnny Mac taping his interview with Couric. So perhaps he just forgot he was in NY or he told a bold faced lie. y'know....I dont like lying, nope, not at all.

Mizzou Basketball, Arles, and JoninGA make no bones about what side they are on. Only Mizzou even tries to act like he has no bias. You are clearly a Democratic schill but think the rest of us don't realize it because you end every post with "I would be pissed at Democrats too". So either you are a complete fool and really think we believe you or you are in complete denial yourself and really don't see how slanted your posts are. You are 100% Democrat and your posts never show anything otherwise. That's not a bad thing, but you make it bad by claiming you are fair and balanced.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #5465
Flasch186
Coordinator

k

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #5466
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hell, Andrew Sullivan mocked McCain for saying he was locked up with his advisors all morning, when it came out that he spent most of the morning with Lady Rothschild...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #5467
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Hell, Andrew Sullivan mocked McCain for saying he was locked up with his advisors all morning, when it came out that he spent most of the morning with Lady Rothschild...

Today has not been a good day for the truth.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #5468
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

SurveyUSA has put up a "snap reaction" poll to the whole debate postponement controversy.

Quote:
America's 1st Reaction -- Friday's McCain-Obama Debate Should Still Be Held On Friday, But Perhaps with New Focus:

Immediately after John McCain's announcement at 3 pm ET today, Wednesday 09/24/08, that he was suspending his campaign and seeking to postpone Friday's scheduled presidential debate, SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 adults nationwide. Key findings:

A majority of Americans say the debate should be held on Friday. Just 10% say the debate should be postponed. A sizable percentage of Americans, 36%, think the focus of the debate should be modified to focus more on the economy. 3 of 4 Americans say the presidential campaigns should continue. Just 14% say the presidential campaigns should be suspended. If Friday's debate does not take place, 46% of Americans say that would be bad for America.

link to all questions and data
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #5469
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
(No idea if what he says is right - it probably is,) but Andrew Sullivan has been anti-Republican for about 4 years if you're trying to imply some intra-Party mockery.

He's kinda the opposite of Christopher Hitchens in that their current positions and fetishes are completely at odds with the labels they're popularly known as. (With the caveat that Hitchens is a complete badass who could outdrink Sullivan (and all of FOFC) and probably does most nights before debating his opponents.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-24-2008 at 10:47 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #5470
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I have to admit, my interest in Friday's debate is about triple it was before. It looks like something will get done tomorrow (something very doubtful 24 hours ago) and that should help McCain. It will be "spun" (for Flasch) that McCain's ultimatum on the debates may very well have increased the willingness to get the bill done.

Now, do I believe that? I think it's a stretch. But, I think McCain is better off for pulling this stunt today which might be what matters in the campaign. In the end, I don't think it will matter much but it's been fun to watch.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #5471
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Palin's inexperience is starting to become more of an issue when compared with the seasoning and expertise of Joe Biden. Here is Biden's take on the need for action due to the recent financial crisis:

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened'".

"October 29, 1929, a date which will live in infamy."

As I suspected, there wasn't a peep from most of the news outlets on this today. Can you imagine what would have happened if Sarah Palin had said the exact same thing that Biden said? It would have been hammered ad nauseum for days on CNN, MSNBC, "The View", Letterman, Jay Leno and SNL.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 AM   #5472
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am dying to ask Biden to spell "potatoes".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-25-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #5473
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
As I suspected, there wasn't a peep from most of the news outlets on this today. Can you imagine what would have happened if Sarah Palin had said the exact same thing that Biden said? It would have been hammered ad nauseum for days on CNN, MSNBC, "The View", Letterman, Jay Leno and SNL.

The only person I saw hammer it was Jon Stewart.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #5474
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

Yup. It is really a pretty sad statement. FDR went on TV during the Great Depression? Wow. So much wrong in one little statement.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #5475
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Good article on how this whole bail-out is a bit of a catch-22 for McCain:

First thoughts on McCain’s call to delay presidential debates

Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 03:17 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Republican John McCain says he’s directed his staff to work with Barack Obama’s campaign and the presidential debate commission to delay Friday’s debate — because of the economic crisis.
Read the building story here.
“It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the administration’s proposal,” McCain said. “I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time,” McCain said.
Not to be too cynical, but here’s McCain’s dilemma:
Yes, the topic of Friday’s debate is national security, as many of you have pointed out. But given the attention that the Wall Street situation has earned, it would be unrealistic not to expect the two candidates to be questioned about it. At some point, the economy is a national security issue.
Opposition is building among conservative Republicans to a federal bailout. Newt Gingrich is among the leaders. See a previous post here.
Remember that Vice President Dick Cheney was given an earful by the House GOP caucus on Tuesday when he tried to sell the Bush package. Georgia GOP members are among the skeptical.
Presume that Democrats, because they control Congress, will get the protections they deem necessary to earn their approval. For instance, the New York Times is reporting that the Bush Administration is now willing to concede the issue of limits on executive pay.
But Republican qualms are ideologically based, and unlikely to be satisfied.
Should McCain endorse the package — as U.S. senators, both he and Obama will be asked to vote on it — then the Republican risks alienating a GOP base that was just won back by the nomination of Sarah Palin as vice president.
Vote against it, and McCain chances giving Obama the most important issue of the campaign.
CNN and ABC News is reporting that Obama is less than inclined to postpone the debate.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #5476
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Would you agree with the premise that the banking crisis is slightly more important than whether or not spotted owls need protection in northwestern Oregon?

I'm sure that's all they've voted on since April. Good argument.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #5477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess if he was doing this for the good of the country in a non-partisan way, then why the need for distributed talking points?

Because give or take at least half the country is too f'n stupid to tie their own shoes? And believe me, "half" is being far more generous than I really believe. You want to get an idea across to the masses, you better be able to boil it down to a few points on about a 3rd to 5th grade level or you're SOL.

Along with that cheery thought, re: the USA Today poll on debategate reaction, it'll be interesting to see what the final combined rating for the debate turns out to be. And then of that number, how many do you believe will actually have their vote influenced by anything that happens in the debate?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-25-2008 at 06:31 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #5478
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

How about the G.I. Bill?

Besides, McCain's a self-professed non-expert on the economy. He holds no positions on the relevant committees. What, exactly, is he going to add to the drafting of such a bill?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #5479
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

It makes Biden look more like a regular joe, you know, somebody you could have a beer with. Contrast that to an elitist rock star celebrity candidate like Sarah Palin who would probably be too busy traveling around the country meeting the likes of Bono. That just doesn't connect to my small-town, blue-collar values.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #5480
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Palin being interviewed by Katie Couric: Cringeworthy.

Just... wow.

Heh, just watched the SNL Tina Fey-as-Sarah Palin skit. I'd bet good money Fey would have done better in that interview than Palin.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 09-25-2008 at 06:56 AM.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #5481
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree with you but like Obama, when you get an aura of being a 'rock star' youre treated differently. Biden and McCain arent thought of in that way, IMO.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #5482
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
The only person I saw hammer it was Jon Stewart.

Indeed he was:

Joe Versus the Volcano | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #5483
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Mizzou Basketball, Arles, and JoninGA make no bones about what side they are on. Only Mizzou even tries to act like he has no bias.

Uhhhhh, I've stated that I'm a moderate Republican (read: don't believe a word of the moral right, but I'm very conservative on economic policy) and have said that I'm probably going to vote McCain. I think that's a pretty clear indication of where my bias lies.

I think that continues to be one of the main differences between the two sides. The general conservatives don't try to hide in any way what their leanings are, whereas posters like Flasch and JPhillips who have obvious leanings indirectly talk out of one side of their mouth about the virtues of liberal policy while preaching an 'unbias' search for the truth out of the other side. Someone needs to tell them that "Don't ask, don't tell" applies to gays, not liberals. It's OK to come out of the closet.

FWIW.....I think the McCain move is mostly political maneuvering, but the Obama camp needs to maintain their focus on the issues. Oh, and they need to tell Harry Reid to shut the hell up before he f#@$s up Obama's plan to handle this situation. Unbelievable.

Amazing contrast in interviews by Katy Couric. She had the flamethrower out for Palin. I'd note that there's nothing inherently wrong with putting Palin's feet to the fire. Voters need to see how she handles the situation. With that said, where were the similar questions when Biden was interviewed earlier this month? It was blatently obvious what was going on to anyone who watched both of those interviews.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-25-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #5484
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't try to hide my beliefs, I just expect people to have evidence before stating "facts" and that they hold their side to the same standard as their opponent.

As for Katie Couric, seriously when did all the Republicans become such whiny pussies? Katie Couric is too mean for an interview? All you need now is for Harry Smith to bring out the flamethrower and you'll be 0-3 with former morning show anchors. Who would be an acceptable interviewer, Mike Greenberg?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #5485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
...posters ... who have obvious leanings indirectly talk out of one side of their mouth about the virtues of liberal policy while preaching an 'unbias' search for the truth out of the other side.

And Dan Rather thought he & his cronies represented "the center". This really isn't anything new.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #5486
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't try to hide my beliefs, I just expect people to have evidence before stating "facts" and that they hold their side to the same standard as their opponent.

As for Katie Couric, seriously when did all the Republicans become such whiny pussies? Katie Couric is too mean for an interview? All you need now is for Harry Smith to bring out the flamethrower and you'll be 0-3 with former morning show anchors. Who would be an acceptable interviewer, Mike Greenberg?

I noticed you didn't address the creampuffs that she tossed Biden. There were certainly plenty of lobbying issues related to his son along with his numerous 'Biden' moment where she could have taken him to task, but that obviously wasn't in the cards.

I suppose that name-calling is now a full representation of the 'facts' in the discussion. Well done.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #5487
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What were the tough questions she asked Palin? What was out of bounds? What I saw was a pretty soft interview, but one where Palin couldn't provide the boilerplate answers that should be second nature for a VP candidate. It isn't Katie Couric's fault if Palin is laughably unprepared for a simple interview.

Just so I can keep my fantasy team up to date, was Couric meaner than Gibson?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #5488
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As to the debate, I think it's a wise move for McCain. They will not get postponed, the democrats would storm the capital with torches as they all feel Obama will roll him. He makes it look like both him and Palin aren't ready (also postponing the VP debate) - which once again sets up the low expectations gambit. Then, he will reluctantly take the debate, appear very statesmen-like while Obama ends up looking like the eager politician more interesting in gaining an advantage in the election than helping the country.

I think the expectations angle hasn't been played up enough on this. I think you hit the nail right on the head. We've been talking about this for a while (the line about Grandpa Simpson vs Denzel Washington comes to mind) and debates are all about expectations. This just lowers the bar a little more for McCain.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #5489
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not so sure this will affect the campaign in any way, but just another perfect example of what stupid sounds like.......

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Alcee Hastings: Anyone who hunts moose “don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks”

Quote:
Rep. Alcee Hastings told an audience of Jewish Democrats Wednesday that they should be wary of Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin because “anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks.”

“If Sarah Palin isn’t enough of a reason for you to get over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better pay attention,” Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida said at a panel about the shared agenda of Jewish and African-American Democrats Wednesday. Hastings, who is African-American, was explaining what he intended to tell his Jewish constituents about the presidential race. “Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So, you just think this through,” Hastings added as the room erupted in laughter and applause.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #5490
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I really like Joe Biden but he does have foot-in-mouth syndrome sometimes. And, yes, Jon Stewart did go after him last night but that's not exactly the news media.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-25-2008 at 07:58 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #5491
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
What were the tough questions she asked Palin? What was out of bounds? What I saw was a pretty soft interview, but one where Palin couldn't provide the boilerplate answers that should be second nature for a VP candidate. It isn't Katie Couric's fault if Palin is laughably unprepared for a simple interview.

Those mean reporters are making Sarah Palin look bad!

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #5492
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

First, as you appear to be confused, the argument is not that the Palin interview was unfair in any way. The argument is that the quality of questions in the Biden interview wasn't even remotely as good or tough as the Palin questions. Biden got a free pass and I'm sure he was happy about it.

Here's the lists of questions that were asked of Palin and Biden. While I am certainly under no illusion that JPhillips will yield any sort of ground in admitting the obvious difference in tone between these two articles and how different the results would have been if the questions for each candidate would have been, I certainly think the comparison is worth the time for those that are interested.

First, the Palin interview.........

One-On-One With Sarah Palin, CBS Evening News Anchor Katie Couric Interviews Alaska's Governor On The Ailing Economy - CBS News

Quote:
Couric: Did Rick Davis receive payments from Fannie/Freddie Mac as recently as last month?

Couric: But he still has a stake in the company so isn't that a conflict of interest?

Couric: Do you support the government bailout?

After Palin said, "(The Senate) is waiting to see if John McCain will be able to see these amendments implemented in Paulson's proposal."

Couric: Why do you say that? Why are they waiting for John McCain and not Barack Obama?

Couric: But polls have shown that Sen. Obama has actually gotten a boost as a result of this latest crisis, with more people feeling that he can handle the situation better than John McCain.

Couric: If this doesn't pass, do you think there's a risk of another Great Depression?

Couric: Would you support a moratorium on foreclosures to help average Americans keep their homes?

Couric: So you haven't decided whether you'll support it or not?

Couric: What are the pros and cons of it do you think?

Couric: By consumers, you're saying?

Couric: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

Couric: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Next, the Biden interview.........

Behind The Scenes With Joe Biden, CBS News Anchor Katie Couric Spends The Day With The Democratic VP Nominee - CBS News

Quote:
"You say what's on your mind. Have you found that you have to be uber-careful and disciplined in terms of being out there on the campaign trail?"

"Polls show that Sen. McCain and Sarah Palin are making inroads among white female voters who are less educated. Is that true?"

"How is it preparing for the debates?"

"Are you worried that you're going to have to pull your punches a bit because of her gender and you don't want to seem like you're bullying her? It's a different dynamic when it's a male/female thing, isn't it?"

"Are you disappointed with the tone of the campaign? The 'lipstick on the pig' stuff, and some of the ads - you guys haven't been completely guilt-free making fun of John McCain's inability to use a computer."

"Why did you (run that ad) then?"

Did Obama approve that ad?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #5493
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Uhhhhh, I've stated that I'm a moderate Republican (read: don't believe a word of the moral right, but I'm very conservative on economic policy) and have said that I'm probably going to vote McCain. I think that's a pretty clear indication of where my bias lies.

I'm genuinely curious as to how anyone can be very conservative on economic policy AND a Republican. I'm assuming no one who's economically conservative was ever a Democrat.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #5494
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I'm genuinely curious as to how anyone can be very conservative on economic policy AND a Republican.

Cause they remember Dole and the Contract with America Republicans. Wasn't too long ago.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #5495
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm genuinely curious as to how anyone can be very conservative on economic policy AND a Republican. I'm assuming no one who's economically conservative was ever a Democrat.

Simply put, I don't believe in government handouts or income redistribution. I'm a big fan of the flat tax with no exceptions/loopholes. That includes a full revoking of the estate tax. Most all of those issues lie on the conservative side of the line, so I generally support the Republican candidates more often than not.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #5496
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

So how would you classify the prescription drug benefit and current finance bailout? That's explicit income redistribution right there.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #5497
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So how would you classify the prescription drug benefit and current finance bailout? That's explicit income redistribution right there.

I'm not a supporter of either of them. In the long term, both of them help the wealthier class rather than the average citizen IMO.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #5498
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm not so sure this will affect the campaign in any way, but just another perfect example of what stupid sounds like.......
Stereotypes are just easier and save everyone time!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #5499
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

OK last question If Republicans led and did these things that you're against (and IMO they're really BIG things), why support them with your vote? NOT arguing that the Dems are better, worse or indifferent, but if you support someone who says they believe in X and then goes and does the opposite, that seems like the worst of both worlds.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #5500
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
OK last question If Republicans led and did these things that you're against (and IMO they're really BIG things), why support them with your vote? NOT arguing that the Dems are better, worse or indifferent, but if you support someone who says they believe in X and then goes and does the opposite, that seems like the worst of both worlds.

Well, if I used that logic to vote, I wouldn't vote for anyone.

My assumption is that most voters vote based on which candidate offers the most benefit to them as an individual. In my case, I align much more with the Republican way of thinking rather than Democrats.