Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #5651
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Labor intensive industries have already moved. Capital intensive industries are looking to save costs. How will they do that? Automation is a very probable way forward. It's merely another word for 'innovation', IMO.

Here are some use cases.

Apparel industries did not move south/overseas because of automation. That industry was disrupted with labor arbitrage & globalization.

Computer programming did not move to India because of automation. It was because of labor arbitrage & internet connectivity.

Did automotive industry move overseas/decline because of automation in the 70's and 80's or was it because of overseas competition & globalization?

There are absolutely going to be some industries disrupted by automation and a bunch of people will lose their jobs and won't be able to adapt. My point is don't blame it all on automation as there are alot of other market forces in play.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #5652
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Our government can't even get it together on health care right now, imagine the hilarity as they try and implement something like this.

We'll need something more competent than the special needs chimps in charge now, as well as a populace that doesn't race to opposite sides of the stupidity spectrum electing them, before any real progress is made.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #5653
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
We encounter this now with outsourcing, NAFTA and manufacturing moving south/overseas, and increased competition from China et al. I think your main premise is automation will cause this? I think its innovation, progress, globalization etc. of which automation is one aspect.

The solution is education & re-training. Admittedly its not 100% and yes, some people get left behind and they will suffer.

How do you retrain for non-existent jobs? This isn't a case of jobs moving, like they've done now, it's a case of jobs ceasing to be.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #5654
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Production Soared After This Factory Replaced 90% of Its Employees With Robots

The jobs that moved overseas are disappearing as well.

Quote:
The factory recently replaced 90 percent of its human workforce with machines, and it led to a staggering 250 percent increase in productivity and a significant 80 percent drop in defects.

Changying Precision Technology Company’s factory used to need 650 human workers to produce mobile phones...Only 60 people are still employed by the company.

According to Luo Weiqiang, general manager of the factory, the number of people employed could drop to just 20, and given the level of efficiency achieved by automation, it won’t be long before other factories follow in their footsteps.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #5655
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think apparel and automotive have taken a hit. Petroleum is the heavy lifter.

Automotive is actually one of the fastest growing segments.
Lots of people think of the decline and off shoring of the "big 3" but BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Toyota have all opened major manufacturing facilities in the US in the last ~ decade.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #5656
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Lots of people think of the decline and off shoring of the "big 3" but BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and Toyota have all opened major manufacturing facilities in the US in the last ~ decade.

Yep, it's a case of globalizing by all of the major brands. Many of the German and Japanese companies are also opening manufacturing facilities in Mexico.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #5657
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here are some use cases.

Apparel industries did not move south/overseas because of automation. That industry was disrupted with labor arbitrage & globalization.

Computer programming did not move to India because of automation. It was because of labor arbitrage & internet connectivity.

Did automotive industry move overseas/decline because of automation in the 70's and 80's or was it because of overseas competition & globalization?

There are absolutely going to be some industries disrupted by automation and a bunch of people will lose their jobs and won't be able to adapt. My point is don't blame it all on automation as there are alot of other market forces in play.

Manufacturing output in the US doubled since 1984. With far less manufacturing jobs in the US. How is this massively increased output possible? Automation.

Yeah, jobs left due to labor intensive industries leaving for cheaper areas, but when output goes up there is a reason. Automation will just continue to increase as these manufacturers tried to gain more advantage and as that continues, you need to figure out what to do with the folks who can't get work.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the automobile industry is highly automated. Those plants that are being built all over the South (Kia, Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, etc) have far less workers than the plants that closed in the 70s and 80s. That's an issue that you can't merely handwave by saying, there are other forces in play.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #5658
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
How do you retrain for non-existent jobs? This isn't a case of jobs moving, like they've done now, it's a case of jobs ceasing to be.

You train people for jobs where they are hiring.

I think the alternative you are proposing is to provide some sort of livable wage/condition etc. where they don't have to work if "automation" has eliminated the need for their current skills?

My take is, if their industry is totally disrupted, they have to adapt and do something else. I do believe in government support in this transition.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #5659
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
You train people for jobs where they are hiring.

What jobs? Every projection suggests at least 25% of jobs going away for good. Some go over 50%. You can retrain for a while, but we're talking a couple of decades before there simply aren't very many jobs.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #5660
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Sure if you go back in last decade. If you go back to the 70's, automotive has trend has been in a decline. See link below and use MAX for timeline.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...car-production
Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #5661
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What jobs? Every projection suggests at least 25% of jobs going away for good. Some go over 50%. You can retrain for a while, but we're talking a couple of decades before there simply aren't very many jobs.

I would like to read these reports. Can you provide some links? Do these reports say that new jobs will not be created?

I don't disagree that some jobs are going away for good. I am saying that automation will free up resources/investments and other jobs will be created.

Quote:
I work in the tech world and do see automation increasing which will definitely displace some workers. There are some that will never get a good job again and there are others that will adapt to whatever new job comes from automation. Automation frees us from doing the mundane to do other things.

I think what you are saying is the # of displaced, never to be employed again etc. will greatly exceed the # of new jobs that automation brings or frees "us" to build/invest in other areas that will create new jobs?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #5662
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Oh, and for what it's worth, the automobile industry is highly automated. Those plants that are being built all over the South (Kia, Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, etc) have far less workers than the plants that closed in the 70s and 80s. That's an issue that you can't merely handwave by saying, there are other forces in play.

My comment was

Quote:

In the 70's and 80's when the decline began, was it because of automation or because of competition? I do think both played a role but think back then it was likely competition from Honda & Nissan etc. and the poor US quality
Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #5663
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
I would like to read these reports. Can you provide some links? Do these reports say that new jobs will not be created?

I don't disagree that some jobs are going away for good. I am saying that automation will free up resources/investments and other jobs will be created.

https://qz.com/941163/pwc-study-auto...-uk-and-japan/

Yes, some new jobs will be created, but when have we ever seen up to 50% of the job market replaced completely in 10-20 years?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #5664
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. I went into the PWC report.

Quote:
Furthermore new automation
technologies in areas like AI and
robotics will both create some totally
new jobs in the digital technology
area and, through productivity
gains, generate additional wealth
and spending that will support
additional jobs of existing kinds,
primarily in services sectors that
are less easy to automate.

• The net impact of automation on
total employment is therefore
unclear. Average pre-tax incomes
should rise due to the productivity
gains, but these benefits may not be
evenly spread across income groups.

• There is therefore a case for some
form of government intervention to
ensure that the potential gains from
automation are shared more widely
across society through policies like
increased investment in vocational
education and training. Universal
basic income schemes may also be
considered, though these suffer
from potential problems in terms
of affordability and adverse effects
on the incentives to work and
generate wealth.

What I got from it is ...

New jobs will be created but net impact of employment is unclear ... government intervention ... through policies like increased investment in vocational education and training etc.

To your point, it also says "universal basic income schemes may also be considered those these suffer from potential problems in terms of affordability and adverse effects on the incentives to work and generate wealth."

I was googling on articles similar. I saw alot of "opinions" which I eliminated, alot of tech oriented sites that stated but have to take those with a grain of salt ...

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-07-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #5665
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the 70's and 80's when the decline began, was it because of automation or because of competition? I do think both played a role but think back then it was likely competition from Honda & Nissan etc. and the poor US quality

And I consider these questions about the decline of the auto industry in the 1970s to be absolutely irrelevant when considering questions of automation on jobs in the 20th Century. The only possible relevance it has is that the boom in auto industry in the US is being propelled by highly automated plants in contrast to the ones in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

TBH, I think this 'competition' thread is a complete strawman argument. It doesn't account for manufacturing output being up (decidedly so) while at the same time manufacturing jobs are way down (decidedly so). No one is making the argument that manufacturing jobs aren't way down and that outsourcing caused some of that. Why that is doesn't particularly matter except to explain why those jobs aren't coming back. The automation today is still occurring. Previous job losses due to competition isn't particularly relevant.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #5666
Edward64
Head Coach

My participation in this topic was in response to CM below.

CM examples were not only manufacturing focused and therefore I did not singularly focus on it ... so I'm not focused on argument on "manufacturing output".

I understand you and I started discussing based on your manufacturing comment but my intent was never just to focus on manufacturing.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you do with people who would work, and who are doing work of some sort, but can't get paid enough to survive because their work is being done by machines/AI? Should a pastor no longer be paid because his congregation, filled with people whose jobs disappeared despite their skill and willingness to work, can no longer support him? Should skilled tradesmen be left to rot because we've found a way to build a robot that can do their job more efficiently?

We can either come up with the sociopathic view that there are too many people and create ways to eradicate them or keep them from existing in the first place, or we can be decent human beings and look for a real solution.

We encounter this now with outsourcing, NAFTA and manufacturing moving south/overseas, and increased competition from China et al. I think your main premise is automation will cause this? I think its innovation, progress, globalization etc. of which automation is one aspect.

The solution is education & re-training. Admittedly its not 100% and yes, some people get left behind and they will suffer.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-07-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #5667
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW.

I do Politico, NYT, WaPo & BBC so I guess I'm covered. I also do alot of CNN and definitely see them lean left quite a bit since Trump's election. Have to do more PBS and NPR.

These are the most — and the least — trusted news sources in the U.S. - MarketWatch
Quote:
The most trusted news source in the U.S. is The Economist — a weekly magazine published in the U.K., according to a recent survey from the University of Missouri’s Reynolds Journalism Institute.

The second-most reliable is public television, followed by Reuters and BBC. Two U.S. nonprofit outlets, NPR and PBS, came in at fifth and sixth, while the U.K.’s The Guardian clinched the seventh spot. The U.S.-based Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times and Dallas Morning News rounded out the top 10 trusted names in journalism.
:
Ironically, Trump was also viewed as untrustworthy, with a credibility score that was better than social-media sources but worse than the internet.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #5668
cuervo72
Head Coach

If I didn't have to work to make a living (or look for work to work to make a living...), I would probably look to do something else that I found rewarding or otherwise might not do. Attempt to code a football or baseball game, for example. Or further dabble in graphic design. Or go back to school, maybe become a GP to help in under-served areas. Or run for office. Or teach, or volunteer somewhere. Or heck, even go around picking up littler. There are plenty of things to do to improve the overall that take up time and/or don't pay. Maybe if more people didn't have to worry about money they could do them.

(It's equally likely I would just sit on my ass playing video games or stalk my kids. But hey, you know.)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #5669
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If I didn't have to work to make a living (or look for work to work to make a living...), I would probably look to do something else that I found rewarding or otherwise might not do. Attempt to code a football or baseball game, for example. Or further dabble in graphic design. Or go back to school, maybe become a GP to help in under-served areas. Or run for office. Or teach, or volunteer somewhere. Or heck, even go around picking up littler. There are plenty of things to do to improve the overall that take up time and/or don't pay. Maybe if more people didn't have to worry about money they could do them.

(It's equally likely I would just sit on my ass playing video games or stalk my kids. But hey, you know.)

Or do both. While I'm working on my dissertation and looking for a full time university job, I'm taking that extra time to catch up on Netflix and movies, to learn basic website building, to get back into marathon shape, and to write a novel I've had in mind for a couple of years now. I'd be fine living in a world where robots pick up trash and build transportation while people are free to pursue their passions and create whatever it is they like.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #5670
digamma
Torchbearer

Going out on a limb here: you don't have kids?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #5671
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Going out on a limb here: you don't have kids?

I have not yet begun to spawn, nor do I intend to.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #5672
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So US intel reportedly believes that North Korea can now miniaturize a nuke to put on their ICBMs.

Trump has said that North Korea would be met with "fire and fury" if it threatens the United States.

North Korea said on Wednesday it is "carefully examining" a plan to strike the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam with missiles.

Trump's next move?

Oh what fun times we live in.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #5673
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think Trump is incredibly dangerous, but Kim is insane if he's really willing to annihilate his people over a first strike on Guam.

I pray for everybody on the Korean peninsula.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #5674
Edward64
Head Coach

Its bad when you are trying to negotiate with a crazy leader.

Its worse when there's 2 of them.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #5675
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm just glad that Trump and Kim are more bark than bite so far. Otherwise I would have absolutely no peace of mind right now.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #5676
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm just glad that Trump and Kim are more bark than bite so far. Otherwise I would have absolutely no peace of mind right now.

That's kind of where I'm at too. I have to think that the rest of the world will weigh in on a bigger scale if these two decide they really want to play rocketball.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-08-2017 at 07:21 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #5677
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Its bad when you are trying to negotiate with a crazy leader.

Its worse when there's 2 of them.

I think 1 crazy leader and 1 authoritarian regime... More posturing, NK won't trade their existence for a strike on Guam. They have to look strong in front of their own starving population, because that's the only thing that keeps an authoritarian government in power.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #5678
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Trump's next move?
This is where a major point of comfort is "well, at least he doesn't care about being true to his word, so we're probably ok for now."

Wheeeeeeee.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #5679
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think 1 crazy leader and 1 authoritarian regime... More posturing, NK won't trade their existence for a strike on Guam. They have to look strong in front of their own starving population, because that's the only thing that keeps an authoritarian government in power.

I don't think authoritarian and crazy are mutually exclusive.

I think NK is used to US leaders who are all talk, kicking the can down the road. Trump may turn out to follow the same path but IMO he is much less likely to do so.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #5680
RainMaker
General Manager

Tough to figure out what the US stance is. Secretary of State is telling North Korea that we are not their enemy. Trump's aide was just on TV saying North Korea is not a threat. Trump is threatening the country in terms a tiny third world despot would use.

So the administration is simultaneously offering a hand in diplomacy, ignoring them, and threatening them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #5681
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #5682
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
This is where a major point of comfort is "well, at least he doesn't care about being true to his word, so we're probably ok for now."

Wheeeeeeee.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #5683
RainMaker
General Manager

Like I've been saying, there is a tweet for every scenario.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #5684
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ah, had to check the date on that one Mckerney-now I understand.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #5685
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think Gorka was saying something along the lines of, "Every Islamic terrorist attack is an Islamic terrorist attck," which doesn't sound very insightful, but is about the level of his PhD dissertation.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #5686
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think authoritarian and crazy are mutually exclusive.

I think NK is used to US leaders who are all talk, kicking the can down the road. Trump may turn out to follow the same path but IMO he is much less likely to do so.

They aren't mutually exclusive. NK is a different type of crazy though, in a "drunk the kool-aid" kind of way. I think the leadership there (and Kim Jong Un is as likely a figurehead as not IMO) probably actually believe in their system of government. Trump is crazy in an impulsive/illogical/nonsensical fashion, which is probably more dangerous when you consider what he has control of.

Kicking the can down the road might be the best course of action unless you are willing to risk all-out war in the region. In the grand scheme of things, NK are not a serious threat and could be squashed easily if need be, but the risk outweighs the reward as far as I can see. Biting back just gives their government legitimacy.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #5687
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
They aren't mutually exclusive. NK is a different type of crazy though, in a "drunk the kool-aid" kind of way. I think the leadership there (and Kim Jong Un is as likely a figurehead as not IMO) probably actually believe in their system of government. Trump is crazy in an impulsive/illogical/nonsensical fashion, which is probably more dangerous when you consider what he has control of.

Kicking the can down the road might be the best course of action unless you are willing to risk all-out war in the region. In the grand scheme of things, NK are not a serious threat and could be squashed easily if need be, but the risk outweighs the reward as far as I can see. Biting back just gives their government legitimacy.

I spend 15 minutes trying to word this the right way and you just went ahead and took the thoughts right out of my head.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #5688
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, NK are not a serious threat and could be squashed easily if need be, but the risk outweighs the reward as far as I can see. Biting back just gives their government legitimacy.

I would like to understand your position better because I see them as a serious threat now.

They have nukes that can threaten our allies and us. Questionable if its to the point where its accurate enough but that day will come.

Can you provide some examples of when you think NK is a serious threat? or when the reward outweighs the risk?

Is it because you don't think they will ultimately use their nukes and therefore will never be a serious threat?

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #5689
bronconick
College Starter

We called them part of the "Axis of Evil" in 2002-03 and proceeded to wipe one of those members into the dustbin of history. The fact that they raced to nukes by 2006 and ICBM's possibly by 2017 might be the sanest thing they've done in years. They talk shit to us because it makes them look good at home. Problem is we now have a shit crazy leader, which is why China is trying to dial them in.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #5690
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The goal isn't to win, the goal is to avert a war. Kicking their asses at the cost of a few million lives is no victory worth having.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #5691
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I would like to understand your position better because I see them as a serious threat now.

They have nukes that can threaten our allies and us. Questionable if its to the point where its accurate enough but that day will come.

Can you provide some examples of when you think NK is a serious threat? or when the reward outweighs the risk?

Is it because you don't think they will ultimately use their nukes and therefore will never be a serious threat?

That's exactly why I don't consider them a threat right now. NK are not nearly as insane or delusional as the press makes them out to be, and it makes zero sense for them to wipe themselves off the map by playing the nuke-card.

I can easily see situations where that would change - particularly if the regime was about to be toppled - but that's not something that is likely to occur without outside intervention. And 'outside intervention' could very well end up being something as simple as an ever-escalating war of words with Trump full of wonderful Hiroshima-esque imagery putting internal pressure on the regime.

You know who else has nukes that can threaten the US and their allies? As a citizen of one of your allies, I'm a lot more concerned about Russia's nukes than I am about anything NK can fire - add India, Pakistan, hell, even Israel, to that list.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #5692
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Given the distance of a Guam strike, shouldn't it be fairly defensive-able. Maybe I don't totally understand ICBMs but I doubt they have that many to launch.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #5693
Easy Mac

He totally didn't do that, did he.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #5694
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Given the distance of a Guam strike, shouldn't it be fairly defensive-able. Maybe I don't totally understand ICBMs but I doubt they have that many to launch.

Are you thinking about something (e.g. THAAD) that can shoot down the ICBMs? Bits and pieces I've read says its not 100% (or even close).
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #5695
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

He totally didn't do that, did he.

Hard to believe, but...

"Actually, it was Obama who launched $1-trillion modernization of the nuclear arsenal. A 30-year program."
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #5696
Edward64
Head Coach

MSNBC commentator on why stock market has not moved much, paraphrased ...

"Wall St doesn't think anything will happen and if it does, it'll be so big that it doesn't matter anyway"
Old 08-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #5697
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/09/politi...rea/index.html
Old 08-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #5698
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well if God says its okay...

'God has given Donald Trump authority to take out Kim Jong-un,' President's evangelical adviser says | The Independent
Old 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #5699
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

God is surprisingly down with political assassination.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #5700
Easy Mac

He had His own kid assassinated. Dude is harsh.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote