Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #5701
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I always been curious, why are they having a debate on a Friday night?

Well Sunday is football. Saturday? No one is home, is the thought. Friday night?

McCain is coming off defensive and is trying to take the shine off Obama's apple by turning him into a regular ol' Democrat.

Seems Barry isn't gonna have it. I think it's an even debate, but Obama is coming off really strong thus far.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #5702
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seems McCain watched a lot of the Hillary debate and realizes how important it is to get the last word in.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #5703
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Is he wooing the base tonight, McCain is? Who is he talking to?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #5704
Calis
College Starter

I want to strangle politicians when they sit there with the snarky smartass smile on their face while the other one is speaking. It's not endearing.

Tonight McCain is dominating that category.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #5705
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Miss Congeniality in the Senate? Wow. Debate Prep much, John?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5706
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

"Six years ago (when I was in the Illinois senate) I stood up and opposed this war."
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5707
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Miss Congeniality in the Senate? Wow. Debate Prep much, John?

Twice...
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #5708
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Now I see why McCain wanted such low expectations... he's playing into Obama's hands, as the McCain Temper comes to the fore..

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-26-2008 at 08:49 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #5709
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Now I see why McCain wanted such low expectations... he's playing into Obama's hands, as the McCain Temper comes to the fore..

I'm sure some will disagree, but as someone who isn't voting for either candidate, I agree...this thing isn't even a contest. McCain isn't coming off well at all and I doubt he'll convert anyone who wasn't already going to vote for him. I doubt Obama does either, but...he certainly has stepped his game up. At best, McCain is coming off sloppy and uninspiring, much less presidential.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 PM   #5710
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The way he says Pakistan is gonna make someone think that he's related to those Muslims over there.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #5711
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The way they keep pronouncing it makes me think of South Park and the "no Towlie ban"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #5712
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The long they stay on military stuff, the more likely that McCain is on his home turf. I don't know if it'll stick, because I'm not sure how much anyone who keeps hearing about the bailout really cares, other than "bring our kids home."

shrug.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #5713
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This is boring. Seriously - make it no holds barred.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #5714
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

There's always a failed state in Pakistan! It has been so for 40 years!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #5715
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is the problem with the 4 minutes to reply, then 5 minutes free form.. instead of debates, you have the candidates talking over each other to get their soundbites out
Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #5716
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Is McCain the change candidate? Or the experience candidate? He's following the Clinton playbook against Obama, because I guess they figure it worked. But McCain isn't Hillary and Obama has learned a bit since then.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #5717
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not sure about the "I also have a bracelet" line and idea...

SI

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #5718
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not sure about the "I also have a bracelet" line and idea...

SI

In a way, it's a completely awesome burn.. that Obama knew that McCain was going to do that line, and countered it.. but yeah, risky on both sides
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #5719
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't think what resonates in the right wing blogosphere is gonna pull people to McCain's side.

But if he keeps saying it over and over again, maybe something he says about Obama "not understanding" will stick.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #5720
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Is what I'm reading true, that McCain is proposing a UN volume 2, with just democracies?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #5721
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #5722
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Stumbling through Ahmadinejad and Peristroika didn't help McCain, especially with Obama's little patronizing "that's ok".

SI

Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #5723
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random question, but can anyone recommend any good conservative (US) blogs for my RSS feed? I have Coulter for comedy and Frum, and Sullivan who was supposed to be conservative but we know how that turned out. Anyone out there who's toughtful and posts fairly frequently?
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #5724
timmynausea
College Starter

For some of these, McCain is like a newswriter that keeps trying to write long, fluffy leads and won't put the who, what, when, where and why right up front. He goes into abstract territory and likes to resolve a long list of ideas with the gist of the concept, which seems like a really poor debate strategy. Throw in the bitter/temper stuff, and I think it has been a poor showing for him. He does much better when directly responding to something Obama has said, in my opinion.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #5725
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Stumbling through Ahmadinejad and Peristroika didn't help McCain, especially with Obama's little patronizing "that's ok".

SI

I bet Obama was saying the name mentally over and over again to make sure he didn't screw up the name
Old 09-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #5726
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Random question, but can anyone recommend any good conservative (US) blogs for my RSS feed? I have Coulter for comedy and Frum, and Sullivan who was supposed to be conservative but we know how that turned out. Anyone out there who's toughtful and posts fairly frequently?

American Conservative Blog (I went to college and was active in a conservative student org with one of the bloggers here is the associate editor at AmCon) Their take is usually not as party line as the rest.
The Next Right
Red State
http://www.powerlineblog.com/
http://www.moonbattery.com/

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #5727
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

David Frum is interesting, but he has issues in the sense that he actually admits there are things wrong with the Right. I also like Ross Douhat over at The Atlantic (a great site in general).
Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #5728
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's Reason's blog too. Libertarian, to be sure, but far more to the right than to the left.

Hit & Run - Reason Magazine
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #5729
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Dan Drezner is a good read.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #5730
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Way to go off wool-gathering, McCain.. he got asked about 9/11 and if we're safer, and he spent his time resorting to a campaign speech about being a MAVERICK... but then wrapped it up with one sentence 'So we're safer, but not SAFE yet"
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #5731
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

On Intrade, immediately before the debate, it was Obama +12 (or so)... now it's Obama +7.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #5732
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

McCain accusing Obama of being too much like Bush??? Are we living in Bizarro World???
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #5733
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
McCain accusing Obama of being too much like Bush??? Are we living in Bizarro World???

I had similar thoughts when they talked about Parkistan. I swore they took the positions of their political opposite.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #5734
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I had similar thoughts when they talked about Parkistan. I swore they took the positions of their political opposite.

That was weird. I thought for a minute that Obama was going to call McCain a pussy.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #5735
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, the feeling that I have right now, is that this was pretty much a 10-10 round in boxing, neither side really landed any real telling blows.. and this was McCain's home ground
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #5736
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I saw it as a pretty dull draw. I should have stayed with the football game.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #5737
Flasch186
Coordinator

My thoughts:

I thought the setup with the 2-2-5 was terrible. You ended up getting less info and it seemed uncomfortable, which is a shame.

I thought McCain did a very good job tonight.

I thought that Obama did well and he did take a risk with the bracelet line.

Perhaps, due to the low expectations (sorry Mizzou you were so wrong here) I was surprised by McCain and one could argue that his upside was bigger and I think therefore he wouldve won tonight.

So even if it was a draw, that means McCain did better than Obama.

some negatives:

If anything Obama was too polite allowing McCain to get the last word or leave a "John, that's not true moment" unclarified.

John needed desperately to make eye contact with Obama. It didnt speak well of respect for your opponent HOWEVER if this isnt pointed out by pundits Im not sure the laymen will see it as a big deal. Oh his saying that Kennedy was in the hospital when he was actually released from it already and on his way home was a slight mishap of information...not his fault but left me kind of thinking something was amiss there.

and:

Im not sure anyone wouldve been swayed by tonight but I definitely will se how Hawkish people will love McCain and Doves will like Obama.

For me......

I think McCain wins tonight. Now let me go to FactCheck.org and start deducting points for lying. that could sway the decision on the Flasch winner dramatically.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-26-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #5738
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, the feeling that I have right now, is that this was pretty much a 10-10 round in boxing, neither side really landed any real telling blows.. and this was McCain's home ground

+1
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #5739
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
+1

+2

Draw goes to Obama I would think. He showed he can hold his own on Foreign Policy against a guy who should have mopped the floor with him on this issue.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #5740
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
My thoughts:

I thought the setup with the 2-2-5 was terrible. You ended up getting less info and it seemed uncomfortable, which is a shame.

I thought McCain did a very good job tonight.

I thought that Obama did well and he did take a risk with the bracelet line.

Perhaps, due to the low expectations (sorry Mizzou you were so wrong here) I was surprised by McCain and one could argue that his upside was bigger and I think therefore he wouldve won tonight.

So even if it was a draw, that means McCain did better than Obama.

some negatives:

If anything Obama was too polite allowing McCain to get the last word or leave a "John, that's not true moment" unclarified.

John needed desperately to make eye contact with Obama. It didnt speak well of respect for your opponent HOWEVER if this isnt pointed out by pundits Im not sure the laymen will see it as a big deal. Oh his saying that Kennedy was in the hospital when he was actually released from it already and on his way home was a slight mishap of information...not his fault but left me kind of thinking something was amiss there.

and:

Im not sure anyone wouldve been swayed by tonight but I definitely will se how Hawkish people will love McCain and Doves will like Obama.

For me......

I think McCain wins tonight. Now let me go to FactCheck.org and start deducting points for lying. that could sway the decision on the Flasch winner dramatically.

point by analysts on CNN though - if this was supposed to be McCain's strongest topics where he is clearly better than McCain, if he can only manage a 10-10 draw isn't that a loss? Tie-goes-to-the-runner type of thing...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #5741
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DaddyTorgo (10:53:44 PM): good point on cnn here
DaddyTorgo (10:53:50 PM): by this lady (gloria berger?)

DaddyTorgo (10:54:06 PM): that obama attacked mccain on policy and tied him to bush and their independent focus group was okay with that
DaddyTorgo (10:54:25 PM): but mccain's attacks on obama were more "you don't understand" and condescending, and their focus group of independents reacted negatively to that
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #5742
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think Obama played defensively waaay too much. McCain was more on offense. Obama could have hammered McCain a few times if he wanted to, but mostly out of Obama, you heard a lot of "John/Senator McCain is right" while McCain said a lot of "Senator Obama just doesn't understand", etc.

It made Obama look like he was following along. Based on policies, it was even, but on how they conducted themselves, McCain gets a slight victory.

And a majority of people thought Obama was going to win because of his eloquence on stump speeches (according to polling)... the expectations bar tends to be pretty big sometimes in these debates.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #5743
Flasch186
Coordinator

no, McCain, due to expectations needed to make up a lot of that to earn, what you call a draw, and I think he may have won, so he gained more ground than Obama extended...so no, McCain Won IMO tonight.

OH BUT IM BIASED. SO I take it all back!!!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-26-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #5744
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think Obama played defensively waaay too much. McCain was more on offense. Obama could have hammered McCain a few times if he wanted to, but mostly out of Obama, you heard a lot of "John/Senator McCain is right" while McCain said a lot of "Senator Obama just doesn't understand", etc.

It made Obama look like he was following along. Based on policies, it was even, but on how they conducted themselves, McCain gets a slight victory.

And a majority of people thought Obama was going to win because of his eloquence on stump speeches (according to polling)... the expectations bar tends to be pretty big sometimes in these debates.

I agree with you that McCain took more steps forward, but he also took more steps backward (the constant condescending "You just don't understand, Barack", the butchering of names, etcetera)
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #5745
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why don't reporters just boycott the spin room? Nothing of any interest comes out of interviews with people who are paid to promote their candidate.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #5746
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

did mccain's advisor just call mccain a once-in-a-lifetime political communicator? or did i mishear that?

edit: yeah i misheard apparently.

but yeah - the spin room is pretty much BS and partisan

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-26-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #5747
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree with you that McCain took more steps forward, but he also took more steps backward (the constant condescending "You just don't understand, Barack", the butchering of names, etcetera)

I'm not sure the "you don't understand" is going to hurt him that much. Some people may not like it, but others may see it as Obama not having the same experience.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #5748
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not sure the "you don't understand" is going to hurt him that much. Some people may not like it, but others may see it as Obama not having the same experience.

people are going to see it the way they wanted to to begin with, Im not sure the debates tonight will sway anyone.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #5749
Dutch
"Dutch"

I agree this was pretty even, but not iwthout some wins and losses.

Obama Win:
The big score for Obama was the economy and suggesting 95% of Americans will get money from him if he's elected in the form of tax breaks.

McCain Win:
The big score for McCain was foreign policy and the discussion about "No preconditions w/ rogue leaders". He definately won there.

Obama Loss:
The "Great Orator", Obama came off as very dull and defensive and not like what I imagine him to be like at all. Snapping out "That's not true" made him sound like a 3rd grader.

McCain Loss:
McCain came off as awkwardly aggressive, stumbling over verbage and saying some weird shit like "When I was let out of prison" or "I put some folks into prison" that didn't come off right at all.

But most of the debate was very respectful and interesting enough for me to watch until the end. Although, as I throw my support to the Republicans, I did go and make my PB&J sandwich while Obama was talking...but it only took me a minute.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #5750
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The people who'd see it as that, are the ones already inclined to vote for McCain. For an example of it, look at what DT referenced on the CNN.com focus group of independents (the people that McCain needs to win).. they felt it was an attack and condescending

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-26-2008 at 10:05 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote