Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #551
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Long as Detroit fans are around, I have to know.

My view from not being as familiar with them, but generally familiar with the league, is that they would want to improve a defense that was dead last in the NFL. Then I realize they released Kevin Jones (how on Earth did I miss that?!?), so it made sad sense for them to get Mendenhall (defense is awful, but you have just about no one at RB). And then they draft an OL? And you guys are all cool with that?

So that's why I am figuring I must be out of touch with Detroit. Is their line really that phenomenally bad, that they would pass up several good RBs and a slew of strong defensive choices to make a line pick?

Their OL is very bad. Since Millen has been GM we've drafted a total of 6 OL and none before the fourth round. I was hoping we go D but the guys that made sense (Mayo, Harvey) were gone.

It's been a problem that has been ignored forever.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #552
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I stand corrected, GB got a possession guy for the slot to play off the speed of Jennings. We'll see how the draft plays out but a 6-3, 220 guy with great hands seems like a nice addition for GB - esp when you throw in 2 Punt returns for TDs last season. Here's Scouts.incs writeup:
"While he lacks elite speed and athleticism, Nelson is quicker than people seem to think and he simply knows how to separate and make plays... it wouldn't shock us if Nelson spends 10-plus productive seasons in the NFL as a possession No. 2 or No. 3 receiver."

Would have been better with Sweed, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #553
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Detroit is going to get Henne barring someone trading up in front of them.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #554
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Their OL is very bad. Since Millen has been GM we've drafted a total of 6 OL and none before the fourth round. I was hoping we go D but the guys that made sense (Mayo, Harvey) were gone.

Gawd, why is he still the GM? I ask this question every year. Now that Isaiah is out of a job, Millen doesn't have competition for the "top" spot anymore.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #555
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I like what I saw about the Jordy pick by Green Bay. There is room for another receiver, especially when someone gets banged up.

The Packers pick the highest guy on their board, so I would say that was Jordy. Just because Mel Kiper or some other dillweed has Jordy as the #9 WR left means nothing to me. Thompson built a good team, not those guys who have never been offered a GM job while Matt Millen gets one.

Damn, Monday is going to suck. I want training camp to start so I can hear how these kids are doing.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #556
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Gawd, why is he still the GM? I ask this question every year. Now that Isaiah is out of a job, Millen doesn't have competition for the "top" spot anymore.

Until Ford Sr dies he will be GM. He loves Millen. He looks at him like a son. Meanwhile, his own son Bill Jr doesn't like Millen and while not coming out right and saying it, he's said in so many words that Millen won't be the GM whenever he inherits the team.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #557
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Would have been better with Sweed, IMO.
Bad route runner, poor 40 time and wrist injury. A little too risky for me. Nelson is the same size, had a better 40 time and is a much better route runner (and ST returner).
Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #558
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Like the Rachal pick by the Niners.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #559
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad Jas_lov isn't here posting, it would crack me up seeing him freak out over a WR being taken by the Packers. If he would freak out over it that is, I am just guessing.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #560
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Bad route runner, poor 40 time and wrist injury. A little too risky for me. Nelson is the same size, had a better 40 time and is a much better route runner (and ST returner).

Route running is a concern. The 40 time doesn't matter for a possession receiver, though, and I don't think in the long run a wrist injury is going to limit him unless he has nerve damage that is affecting his hands. He came in as probably the most polished WR in the draft or close to it. As for returning, if you're going for a 6'3, 220 guy for your returner, you need to re-evaluate your ST.

But we'll see. Definitely can't argue that Thompson has made some strong picks. May have to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #561
Arles
Grey Dog Software

One other thing about Jordy, his strengths are breaking the jam and running good routes. Given Rodgers is a timing passer, he seems like a better fit than a "jump ball" guy like Sweed who might not run great routes over the middle. Sweed reminds me of Bill Schroeder, and I remember about 3-4 picks a year from him breaking off routes or getting caught in jams.

Last edited by Arles : 04-26-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #562
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Long as Detroit fans are around, I have to know.

My view from not being as familiar with them, but generally familiar with the league, is that they would want to improve a defense that was dead last in the NFL. Then I realize they released Kevin Jones (how on Earth did I miss that?!?), so it made sad sense for them to get Mendenhall (defense is awful, but you have just about no one at RB). And then they draft an OL? And you guys are all cool with that?

So that's why I am figuring I must be out of touch with Detroit. Is their line really that phenomenally bad, that they would pass up several good RBs and a slew of strong defensive choices to make a line pick?

Quote:

Yeah. The Lions' offensive line has been pretty bad. They've given up more sacks than any team in the league over the last two years and have had the worst running game. A lot of blame has been laid on Martz for both (as well as every other problem with Lions apparently), but the line has been pretty bad, especially right tackle. They have had a problem there for years and even moved guard/center Damien Woody there for the last few games.

The Lions have a ton of needs. RB, DE, LB, and OL being the most pressing. Like DeTox said, they wanted Harvey (DE) and, if not him, Mayo (LB), but with both gone, I guess they decided to go OL, figuring that there is a lot of depth at RB in this draft.

The Lions will need to address RB at some point in the draft. Tatum Bell, Aveion Cason, and Brian Calhoun aren't going to cut it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #563
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

God I hope the Giants dump Shockey here
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #564
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

nope, looks like were stuck with him
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #565
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im fine with us keeping shockey. who do you want here? maybe connor? meh.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #566
st.cronin
General Manager

Espn is really struggling with the new format.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #567
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
im fine with us keeping shockey. who do you want here? maybe connor? meh.

how as a Giants fan can you possibly want Shockey?

Do you really think it was a coincidence that Eli started playing much better when Shockey went down?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #568
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Two things I already like about Jordy Nelson from reading the begining of his biography.

1. The guy is plain and simple, an all-around stud athlete.
2. He clearly has no problem working his ass off and doing what is needed of him to get on the field.

Quote:
From walk-on to strong safety to one of the premier receivers in the collegiate ranks, Nelson has come a long way since his days at Riley County High School. His banner senior campaign saw him shatter school and Big Twelve Conference reception records, catching at least ten passes six contests during the 2007 campaign.

For his stellar performances, Nelson became just the ninth player in school history to be named a consensus All-American in his final year, becoming the first KSU player to accomplish that feat since Terence Newman in 2002. He will leave Kansas State holding eleven different receiving records.

Nelson lettered three times as a quarterback and defensive back at Riley County High School. He was named first-team Class 3A All-State at quarterback by the Topeka Capital-Journal and was a second-team All-State selection for all divisions at both quarterback and defensive back. He was chosen Flint Hills Player of the Year by the Manhattan Mercury and was a two-time All-Mid-East League first-team pick. He also played in the 2003 Kansas Shrine Bowl.

As a senior, Nelson connected on 62 percent of his passes for 1,029 yards and eight touchdowns. He rushed for 1,572 yards (9.8 avg) and scored 25 times on the ground that year. In his junior campaign, he passed for 1,045 yards and rushed for 730 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Nelson also lettered and started in basketball and track. He averaged 17.2 points on 58-percent shooting as a senior and set school career records for blocks (161), steals (225) and assists (325). He was named first-team All-State and the Manhattan Mercury's Flint Hills Player of the Year. He won the Class 3A track titles in the 100, 200, 400 and long jump at the 2003 state meet, and set division records in the 100 meters (10.63) and 200 meters (21.64).

Despite his impressive prep career, Nelson walked on at KSU in 2003. He competed on the scout team at strong safety over the next two years, but never got on the playing field. With the KSU receiving unit depleted by graduation, Nelson asked to move to that unit in 2005. He was a second-team All-Big Twelve Conference choice that year, leading the team with 45 receptions for 669 yards (14.9 avg) and eight touchdowns, adding another score by recovering a blocked punt in the end zone for a score vs. Texas A&M. During the season, he became the first player in school history to catch at least one touchdown in his first seven games.

He started nine of thirteen games in 2006, leading the squad with 39 catches for 547 yards (14.0 avg), scoring one touchdown. He also got to see some time at quarterback, completing one of two passes for 28 yards.

The consensus All-American shattered school and Big Twelve Conference season-records in 2007, hauling in 122 passes for 1,606 yards (13.2 avg) and eleven touchdowns. He scored twice on five punt returns for 264 yards (52.8 avg) and registered a school record 140 points. He hit on 2-of-4 passes for 45 yards and a pair of touchdowns, finishing with 1,863 all-purpose yards, an average of 155.25 yards per game.

In 36 games at Kansas State, Nelson started 32 contests. He ranks second in school history with 206 receptions for 2,822 yards (13.7 avg) and is third all-time in KSU annals with 20 touchdown grabs. He returned six punts for 267 yards (44.5 avg) and three scores, as he also completed 3-of-6 passes for 73 yards and two touchdowns, adding seven tacklers (6 solos) on special teams. He finished with 3,080 all-purpose yards, an average off 85.56 yards per game.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #569
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Also, let's not forget that GB has 7 picks in rounds 2, 3 and 4. They are going to have plenty of shots at filling their nickel corner and backup OL.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #570
Pyser
Pro Rookie

we can dump him, but not for nothing. who here makes our team better? theres no te to take right now, and we run a lot of 2 te sets

shockey may be aggressive, but he still keeps defenses accountable.

also, since we took a safety in rd 1, and the giants were supposedly holding out for the saints safety and the 2nd rd pick, there was nothing left to get from them
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #571
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Henne to the Lions. I'm saying it again. It's a waste of a 2nd. I love Henne but you cannot do this when you take Stanton last year and never let him play.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #572
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good pick for Buffalo. I like James Hardy a lot.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #573
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm saying it again .. Connor, Groves or Charles, for the love of God.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #574
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Henne to the Lions. I'm saying it again. It's a waste of a 2nd. I love Henne but you cannot do this when you take Stanton last year and never let him play.

With all the needs on defense? And with having take Stanton in Round 2? I... I.... Well, I wouldn't be surprised at anything they do.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #575
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sounds a lot like James Jones last year. Everyone said he was a reach, but he was a hard worker, big guy and ran great routes. Jones had a solid rookie year.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #576
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really liked HArdy, i was hoping he'd slip to the Steelers.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #577
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Two things I already like about Jordy Nelson from reading the begining of his biography.

1. The guy is plain and simple, an all-around stud athlete.
2. He clearly has no problem working his ass off and doing what is needed of him to get on the field.
Jordy Nelson is a gamer. He worked his ass off to get where he is. Great hands, lot of speed. He's not just a product of a system -- if anything, he was handicapped by a bad QB and no other offensive help. No one will outwork Nelson. He's a tough little SOB.

I think Green Bay could have traded back a bit further and still got him, but if he's their guy why not take him there? He has more upside than a lot of other WRs in the draft who might never get better than they are right now.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #578
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Hardy = David Terrell
Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #579
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Let's not forget the Packers played in one of the worst divisions in football.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #580
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Espn is really struggling with the new format.

I'm watching the NFLN coverage here: http://www.nfl.com/draft/live

It's so so so much better it's unreal.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #581
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm going with Ray Rice to Detroit.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #582
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

deux, deux, deux

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #583
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm not a fan of Hardy. He's not a top athlete, questions about his work ethic and character, and he wasn't even all that good in college. He's tall, that's about it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #584
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Limas Sweed has got to go soon.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #585
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I'm going with Ray Rice to Detroit.

I'm happy with that pick, and Calias Campbell as well. Any of those five.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #586
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Let's not forget the Packers played in one of the worst divisions in football.

Agreed.

Thomspon has done a pretty good job, but when you look at what the other teams in their division are running out there at QB, it is hard to give them a ton of credit for winning it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #587
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Agreed.

Thomspon has done a pretty good job, but when you look at what the other teams in their division are running out there at QB, it is hard to give them a ton of credit for winning it.

Pssh. Kitna is the best QB in the NFC North, FTW!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #588
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Limas Sweed has got to go soon.

Maybe to the Eagles.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #589
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh no, we got Grossman 2 times a year.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #590
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, shit, Kitna.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #591
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tarvariasss
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #592
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Eagles trade again

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #593
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Henne to Minnesota, plz? Kthxbye.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #594
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Oh man...Eagles make another trade..
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #595
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another trade down. Interested to see what kind of value the Eagles got this time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #596
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol, Philly trades down again
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #597
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Pssh. Kitna is the best QB in the NFC North, FTW!

...and, by no small margin.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #598
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Agreed.

They did make it to the NFC championship game and have like $25 million of cap space and no FA losses this offseason (outside of cutting Bubba). You'd be hard pressed to find a team better setup for a 3-4 year run than GB is right now (talent, cap space, picks, pot FAs).
Old 04-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #599
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Andy Reid is still trying to find another QB from Houston to take.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #600
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good pick. I like Johnson.