Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #551
Butter
Coordinator

I don't want to ditch kickers or DEF, but would approve a flex option.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm just thinking out loud here and would love to keep the conversation going:

I'm not really keen on folding TEs into WRs because it seems like so few TEs have useful production so we'd only draft a few TEs. Maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing. Then again, that does balance out the unbalance of the TE position by mixing them in with WRs. You have to consider that it does increase the WR/TE pool a lot, tho- so we might even have 5 WR/TE or another flex to balance out RB and QB rarity and production.

DEF and K are a tougher nut to crack. I really don't like IDP- it's really hard to make a balanced setup with IDP and balance it out with the rest of the league. K and D are simpler in that there are 32 available, you draft 20, so there is scarcity but not extreme scarcity- it's the level I look to maintain. The problem I have more with is scoring. I can't find a way to delineate good from bad. I've tried to bump up points on long FGs and subtract points for misses but K and D seem as much about opportunity and matchup than about actually ability and skill.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #553
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
... but K and D seem as much about opportunity and matchup than about actually ability and skill.

That is why I think 1 DEF makes more sense than 2. (and I guess Kickers if you want to keep them). If everybody only has to start 1, it gives everybody the ability to play match-ups more.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #554
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With limiting it to 1 instead of 2, wouldn't that pretty much guarantee Ks and DEFs for the last 2 rounds which means draft order means everything. As is now, 13 picks in the last 4 rounds were non-K or DEF. There's some room to make market inefficiency with the number picked and it makes a team like, say, Seattle or a kicker like Kasay who ended with good results worth something either on the WW or a defense like Baltimore or Chicago rewards a player who picks them a bit earlier.

SI

Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #555
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If we gave K's more points for XPs (Same amount as FGs?) and defenses points for yardage allowed, then I think the quality of each would make more of a difference. The top defenses would be better that way, because they consistently make yards hard to come by, even if the opponent sometimes lucks into several good situations due to the offense turning the ball over in bad places.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #556
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With limiting it to 1 instead of 2, wouldn't that pretty much guarantee Ks and DEFs for the last 2 rounds which means draft order means everything. As is now, 13 picks in the last 4 rounds were non-K or DEF. There's some room to make market inefficiency with the number picked and it makes a team like, say, Seattle or a kicker like Kasay who ended with good results worth something either on the WW or a defense like Baltimore or Chicago rewards a player who picks them a bit earlier.

Eh. I'd argue that the Defenses and Kickers should have been the last to go this year as well. Certainly the 2nd Defense and Kickers at minimum.

Draft order doesn't matter when there isn't much difference between the choices anyway.

We could certainly look at adjusting the points for the Defenses and Kickers. I think it would help tweak the value of the Defenses especially.

FWIW, I still think the scoring system, as it stands, is better than 95% of the leagues out there.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #557
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
Eh. I'd argue that the Defenses and Kickers should have been the last to go this year as well. Certainly the 2nd Defense and Kickers at minimum.

Draft order doesn't matter when there isn't much difference between the choices anyway.

We could certainly look at adjusting the points for the Defenses and Kickers. I think it would help tweak the value of the Defenses especially.

FWIW, I still think the scoring system, as it stands, is better than 95% of the leagues out there.

Oh, I know, we're working on window dressing. But I'm always looking to improve

The goal is to make the draft matter a bit on those positions. I'm not expecting the top defenses or kickers to be picked in the first few rounds. However, I do want there to be a reward for a team who can pick their K or D before their 3rd WR or Flex, rewarding the team for better use of sleepers or those teams who can make a good guess at an improving defense.

I think we should do the following offensive positions for next year:
QB
QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
WR/TE
RB/WR/TE

A lot of 4th WRs are better than starting TEs. Tho I kindof want to reward those teams who spend a high draft pick on a Tony Gonzalez (in the past) or other elite TEs. However, it's really rare to have 2 high TEs.

SI

Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #558
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
If we gave K's more points for XPs (Same amount as FGs?) and defenses points for yardage allowed, then I think the quality of each would make more of a difference. The top defenses would be better that way, because they consistently make yards hard to come by, even if the opponent sometimes lucks into several good situations due to the offense turning the ball over in bad places.

I think I'll look at the K and DEF at the end of the season or start of next season and see what we can do. I don't think I'd make XPs same as FGs as there's a degree of difficulty there but I can increase the spread, hopefully.

SI

Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #559
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Bump. Should we be talking about draft stuff
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #560
Danny
Head Coach

Yes I am in again
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #561
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hm... looks like September 5th is the first day this season and I'll be out of town over Labor Day so you're probably right. Time to get a move on for this season

SI

Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #562
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm in again, in case I haven't already said so.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #563
TRO
College Prospect

In.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #564
Butter
Coordinator

Me too.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #565
Danny