Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #551
Groundhog
Coordinator

Surely he (or his agent) must know this, deep down, and the "$10mil/per" comment was just to try raise his stock a little, but yeah, like I said, he must've REALLY hated his time in San Antonio.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #552
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
New York Knick fans - You're reward for the last 3 years of "sucktitude" and gaining cap space is.....

Richard Jefferson and David Lee

Sorry, couldn't resist

Cruel, yet deserved.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #553
Groundhog
Coordinator

I liked this comment on the yahoo sports article: "More money to keep Parker in SA. Thank you for being an idiot RJ. "
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #554
stevew
Hall Of Famer

as a member of one of the 2 indigenous groups of Texas, Jefferson should have loved Texas.

Last edited by stevew : 06-30-2010 at 08:24 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #555
Celeval
Pro Starter

Maybe Jefferson is aiming for a MLE deal with a team who signs one or two of the big three?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #556
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm starting to wonder if Lebron stays and signs a 3-year deal with Cleveland. Feel like he may get cold feet over the whole thing and realize he can't leave till he wins a title.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #557
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Lebron stays and signs a 3-year deal with Cleveland. Feel like he may get cold feet over the whole thing and realize he can't leave till he wins a title.

I'd laugh if basically all the big free agents stayed put. Would serve the "salary cap dumping" teams right.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #558
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it may happen. Joe Johnson is probably going to stay in Atlanta if reports of him being offered a max contract are true. Word is that Amare wants to stay in Phoenix and they are negotiating. Wade will stay, and if Lebron stays, everyone's making a pitch for Bosh and Boozer.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #559
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'd laugh if basically all the big free agents stayed put. Would serve the "salary cap dumping" teams right.

Seriously. It would be more awesome than the College Conference
Armageddon that didn't happen.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #560
RainMaker
General Manager

I will get some pleasure out of seeing the Knicks suck still after dumping their top pick last year and future 1st rounders for nothing.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #561
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's I'm just trying to debunk this notion that just because they are superstars, they don't have the ability to play with one another.

My notion is that neither is a good player off the ball. Iīm not denying they are willing to give it up, just saying that i think neither will be able to be effective without being the one having the ball all the time since neither is a good spot up shooter (both are rythm shooters) or good at moving off screens or similar things.
I definitely donīt question their willingness to adapt, just their ability. I just donīt see it working on the court, their way to play imo is too comparable ... Although admittedly Lebron improved in that area, going to the post a bit more and letting others set him up (only as long as things went well though, when in doubt he reverted back very quickly)

Morey knocked on Boshīs door at midnight. The more i think about it the more i want it too happen, him and Yao imo could very well coexist with Bosh being able to step outside for 15 footers and Yaoīs ability to pass the ball from the high post in stretches.

Rockets owner aparently gave Morey the green light to go "all in" as far as finances go.

Scola and Lowry got qualifying offers, be interesting if they maybe beat the rush and sign them before offers come in (Scola especially might get some good ones), at least iīm hoping theyīll do that... Really wouldnīt want to loose either player, not even with Bosh on board. Scola would make a killer 6th man up front.

I would hate to see Battier leave though and heīd most likely have to along with Jeffries to get the trade done salary wise ... (But maybe Toronto would buy him out, you never know theese days)

EDIT : Jeffries, Andersen, Hill would amount to 12,1 mio. They also have a 1.3 mio trade exception i think, so that would work out (Bosh can get a max contract of 13.5 mio the first year), although iīm not 100% sure a trade exception can used with multiple players ?

just listing the most ideal scenario, not the most realistic one. Then again iīm not sure what quality players teams usually get in sign and trades ? Itīs not like they have much leverage.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2010 at 05:13 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #562
whomario
Pro Starter

@ chief rum : Itīs not "just" the weight, his conditioning simply is low, especially considering how active he plays and the high usage he needs to be effective (as said, primarily a scorer and not much help elsewhere), his weaknesses also wonīt allow him to play much more really as teams would figure him out then and make him less effective.

Seems like veteran Euros will make up for the lack of drafted players. Tiago Splitter will propably come over finally.
The Timberwolves have signed Nikola Pekovic for 13 mio for 3 years.

Also immediately started talks with Milicic, might also be a good selling point getting another serb, as long as both are satisfied with a few less minutes. Pekovic never played a ton in Europe either though, no stranger to that situation. Might be a harder sell on a sucky team though, his Euro team is right up there (he played 22 minutes in Euroleague play averaging 15 PPG on 61% shooting, 17 MPG and 13 PPG on 73% in domestic play ...)
Could have a Scola-like impact, little different style though that is closer to Jefferson ironically (but like Scola also an excellent Pick & Roll player with a knack for being in positions to score), not a good defender or rebounder.

This has to mean that Jefferson is going out, canīt see those 2 playing together at all.

They also invited Gay (meh ...) and Lee (wtf) for contract talks. Lee makes just no sense, not unless they plan on unloading Love as well which would be pretty stupid considering heīs like the 1 guy their fans actually want to stay ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 AM   #563
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

This.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #564
Atocep
Coordinator

Interesting Kevin Pelton article on the assets each team with cap space has right now using WARP to project over a 3 year period.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=1174
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #565
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I have one question on the Celtics cap situation. Right now we're over the cap with the holds from Allen and Pierce, but have the MLE. If we renounce the Bird Rights to both we have $19 million to sign free agents but lose the MLE. So what happens if both Allen and Pierce sign elsewhere before we sign a free agent... would we lose the MLE then or not?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #566
RainMaker
General Manager

Bosh in Houston makes a lot of sense to me. I thought it was going to be L.A. or Houston since Toronto wouldn't trade him to the East. He gets to be the star in a relatively big market that has no sales tax. They have some nice young pieces and a great GM. Not to mention they can put together a good package for Toronto since they ripped off New York at the deadline.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #567
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Richard Jefferson opting of the final year on his contract ($15 M), most likely to sign a long-term deal before the CBA gets renegotiated, was very surprising. Not sure if the Spurs want him back, though.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #568
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I have one question on the Celtics cap situation. Right now we're over the cap with the holds from Allen and Pierce, but have the MLE. If we renounce the Bird Rights to both we have $19 million to sign free agents but lose the MLE. So what happens if both Allen and Pierce sign elsewhere before we sign a free agent... would we lose the MLE then or not?

From what I could tell from reading the primer, no, it only applies if you start free agency below the cap. But who knows.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #569
whomario
Pro Starter

considering that there are various reports that Jefferson has been working out with Coach Popovich iīm pretty sure they want him back. Whatīs the alternative ? They are still going to be slightly over the cap i think and would have to sign a replacement from the remainders of the MLE (a big part will go to Splitter, propably to the tune of what Pekovic gets).
And they need depth players anyway.

For the rockets iīd be very much ok letting Brooks go in that sign and trade scenario for Bosh.
Iīd be ok with a Blake/Ridnour type player running the offense with Lowry coming in for extended stretches (or the other way round)
If they are really going all in they should try to get a guy like Korver or Morrow as an aditional shooter, up front i wouldnīt mind guys like Nesterovic, Oberto or Petro for the LLE, maybe take a flyer on a guy like Mahinmi or Fesenko.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #570
whomario
Pro Starter

Gooden reaches deal with Bucks - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The Bucks reportedly sign Drew Gooden for basically the full MLE (32 mio and 5 years)
So much for that rooting-interest ...

I canīt believe that anyone in this day and age could still be fooled like that by PPG/RPG averages on a lottery team (no offense Clips fans) ...

This is almost as bad as paying Joe Johnson max money ...

Gooden, Magette, Salmons (post new contract version) on one team ? Good luck with that Bucks ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #571
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

I canīt believe that anyone in this day and age could still be fooled like that by PPG/RPG averages on a lottery team (no offense Clips fans) ...

You're saying nothing false. The Clips were a lottery team, whether I like it or not. And not like it's an uncommon occurence.

I am glad Gooden signed with the Bucks. It keeps the Clips from entertaining thoughts of bringing him back. Some Clips' fans were fooled by the every now and then good results, too, and wanted him back.

I would rather re-sign Craig Smith to backup Griffin. Gooden wasn't worth half of this money.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-01-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #572
whomario
Pro Starter

makes no sense for the Bucks either with the way Ilyasova played and the fact that they drafted a PF at 15 and also have Mbah Moute who can help out at the 4... (and also drafted 2 big men in the 2nd round)
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #573
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Perhaps this is an over-aggressive response to the impact of losing Bogut for the playoffs last year? Without his inside presence, they were a shadow of the team they had been with him healthy and taking the attention of the other other team's PFs/Cs away from help defense on drives by Jennings.

Maybe they're saying "whatever happens, we won't get caught short in the post again".

Stupid response, I agree with you there, but wondering if that might be what's fueling the moves with a big man heavy roster.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #574
whomario
Pro Starter

must be it i guess, still makes me basically put the Bucks on the list of "meh, maybe if i have a ton of time" when it comes to watching their games on league pass ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #575
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Darko gets 4/20?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #576
vex
Grizzled Veteran

KAAAHHHNNN!!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #577
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Drew Gooden was a LLE player for 2 years with the 2nd as a team option. This move basically destroys the Bucks from within. I can't believe they did this.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #578
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Darko gets 4/20?

He's probably a better player than Drew Gooden. So I guess they got a discount?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #579
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
KAAAHHHNNN!!

I am not a Sports Guy fan but he is a one man wrecking crew vs the T'Wolves and I love it:

sportsguy33

Like BP shored up the oil leak. RT @chadfordinsider: Wolves spent $33 million on Darko and Pekovic to shore up their middle.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #580
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

This will be known as an offseason that cripples many franchises. Too much money is going to be spent on long term deals for marginal talent. No wonder Richard Jefferson opted out.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #581
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ha, Conan strikes:

ConanOBrien

I don't care where LeBron James ends up... As long as it's not at 11pm on TBS.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #582
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ha, Conan strikes:

ConanOBrien

I don't care where LeBron James ends up... As long as it's not at 11pm on TBS.

Heh. You beat me to it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #583
larrymcg421
Head Coach

wait wait wait

The Joe Johnson max contract rumors are true? 6 years, $119 million for this guy? Are you kidding me?

Darko 4/$20m > Joe Johnson 6/$119m

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #584
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

and i wonder why i hate the NBA more and more as the seasons go bye
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #585
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
wait wait wait

The Joe Johnson max contract rumors are true? 6 years, $119 million for this guy? Are you kidding me?

Darko 4/$20m > Joe Johnson 6/$119m

Let's not go nuts here.

But, yeah, they'll be regretting that deal when Johnson's 36 (and probably sooner).

Old 07-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #586
stevew
Hall Of Famer

John Salmons 5/39, with 5 million more in bonus available.

I actually like this one for the Bucks.

And IMO it's possible that the Johnson camp leaked the Hawks offer, I think some sanity may prevail here.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #587
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
John Salmons 5/39, with 5 million more in bonus available.

I actually like this one for the Bucks.

And IMO it's possible that the Johnson camp leaked the Hawks offer, I think some sanity may prevail here.

That seems like a stupid thing to leak if it isn't true. I mean, if I was another team that was interested in Johnson and then heard the Hawks were giving him the max, I'd say fuck that and start looking elsewhere.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #588
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe this will stick....

(for the third time)
The Cavs have apparently hired Byron Scott to be their new head coach. He replaces both Brian Shaw and Tom Izzo who weren't actually hired, and Mike Brown.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #589
DeToxRox
Head Coach

David Aldridge twitter:

Big, and breaking: Grizzlies commit to max deal for Rudy Gay, taking him off the market. Story up soon on NBA.com

lol. Rudy Gay a max player.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #590
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hey - Rudy Gay fucking OWNS for me in NBA 2k10.

I have him on my "new look Nets" after every other free agent refused me when I had max-money available and had finished my "get high drafts" strategy (trading and losing).

Drafted #2 overall rookie PG - think Rondo, but a better jump shooter and a lil bigger. able to get to the rim.
Drafted #1 overall rookie SG - comparison was "Kevin Durant" - gets to the rim with authority and came out of the draft a B+ 3pt shooter
Rudy Gay
Bargnani
Brook Lopez

I fucking own everybody.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-01-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #592
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow - Lebron crashed ESPN.com
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #593
whomario
Pro Starter

4th year for Darko isnīt guaranteed reportedly.

Say what you want about Kahn, heīs definitely not being conservative, i give you that Seriously, better trying sth out of the box than signing Gay for a max contract ...
I definitely like that heīs not trying to sign players he canīt sign anyway. It kind of reminds me about mid major college teams going after foreigners and overlooked players.

If you just look at his play from last year (and no, that wasnīt a contract year situation as until maybe 2 weeks from the end of the season he wanted to leave the NBA alltogether) and forget the "oh my god, but he was the 2nd pick" thing for a while you have a really big guy that can score a little from inside and out, is an ok rebounder, defends pretty well inside and on pick and rolls and can pass the ball from the high post which makes him a great fit for the offense they are running.
He also is decently athletic, even last year when he was admittedly out of shape (since he didnīt expect to play another NBA minute come january)

He wonīt ever put up 20/10 or even 15/10, but iīd say 12/9 with 2 blocks, good defense and good passing are plausible and that would certainly be a great deal for a true 7 footer who is still only 25 years old.

You could do a lot worse than to have Milicic and Pekovic as your starter/backup at the 5 for a combined 9 per year imo ...

Now everybody can go ahead and make fun of me

What is bad about this though is the timing, this sure isnīt good trying to trade Jefferson, they definitely canīt do the "we donīt need to trade him if the offer sucks" routine anymore now ...

Channing Frye meanwhile reportedly gets about the same offer from Phoenix, 25 mio but for 5 years. Hope he takes it, itīs a real good situation for him in Phoenix.

Last edited by whomario : 07-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #594
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Guys on talk radio here are beside themselves with the Gay deal. They were questioning resigning him for $12 mil, much less $16 mil.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #595
whomario
Pro Starter

How willingly to spend is the Memphis Owner ? Maybe they are figuring to be over the cap anyway and decided that 12 or 16 in that case is just a question of semantics as long as the owner is willing to pay (and next year every other contract for them runs out)
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #596
Warhammer
Pro Starter

He was willing to spend when Jerry West was the GM. Since West has left, he has not been willing to spend.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #597
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wow - Lebron crashed ESPN.com

Lebron is good at crashin' the boards.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #598
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe anyone is shocked that Gay got the max. It was going to happen. Yes it's overpaying, but if Memphis didn't do it, someone else was going to. Then Memphis would have had to match anyways, and likely pay a huge upfront amount.

Right or wrong, Gay getting the Max was going to happen.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #599
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rondo really needs to fire his agent, too. He is only getting 55 million for the same years that Gay got 81 for. Rondo would have been maxed out by someone this offseason, I can't believe his agent(and rajon) were so short sighted to take the extension.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #600
Groundhog
Coordinator

Gay is one of those B-level guys who was always going to get a max contract. But the Griz might be on the verge of going somewhere next season anyhow. I think Zach's contract is up after this coming season, which would free up some money to pay Mayo when his rookie deal expires too.