Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #551
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Lots of smoke for Matthew Thomas to USC. Hopefully, it's true and we can shock some FSU and Miami fans.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM   #552
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Speaking of dark horses (and in this case by "dark" I mean blacker than the blackest of black holes, the very essence of that which "dark" is named for) ... Georgia Tech suddenly in the mix, and reportedly very competitive for the nation's #2 prospect Carl Lawson.

Nation's No. 2-ranked football recruit now considering Georgia... | College Recruiting | www.ajc.com

edit to add: the headline for the link as it appears hear is incomplete, the school added to his list & visited yesterday is Georgia Tech, not UGA as you'd be tempted to think

Signing day announcement, but reading that it is down to Auburn, Clemson and GT, and really may be down to just Auburn and GT. Shocking turn of events and would be some much needed good news for GT after losing between 2 and 4 commitments, depending on whose twitter and message board you believe.

Lawson's dad played for GT, but hadn't been pushing them, partially due to the academics. Seems like that has changed recently.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #553
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Lots of smoke for Matthew Thomas to USC. Hopefully, it's true and we can shock some FSU and Miami fans.

Are they locking him in a hotel room like they did Leonard Williams last year?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #554
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like usc and UW are out of the EVD sweetstakes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #555
DeToxRox
Head Coach

After a year long battle for 5* OT Laremy Tunsil between UGA and Alabama, he has committed to Ole Miss.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #556
DeToxRox
Head Coach

For those who care the rumor about Ole Miss recruiting is a lumber company is offering $800 bucks just for a visit.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #557
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
After a year long battle for 5* OT Laremy Tunsil between UGA and Alabama, he has committed to Ole Miss.

Somebody in Oxford has opened the checkbook in a big way.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #558
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Well, talk about getting "Blindsided."

Get it, Michael? Get it?

Okay, dumb joke of the day over, so what the hell is Ole Miss giving out to recruits these days anyway?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #559
digamma
Torchbearer

My guess is admission. Haven for low and non-qualifiers.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #560
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sounds like usc and UW are out of the EVD sweetstakes
Says who?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #561
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Says who?

It's on a recruiting update at the UCLA scout site. Tracy Pierson is generally noted for being fairly even and not jumping the gun on info without sources. His update says he heard this from "multiple sources".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #562
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tracy gives good news and bad news to the UCLA faithful. Quite a difference than dawgman, I have noticed. But they are scouts first
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #563
bhlloy
Coordinator

SC sources say the same thing. Could well be Bama at this point.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #564
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Tracy gives good news and bad news to the UCLA faithful. Quite a difference than dawgman, I have noticed. But they are scouts first
Eklund & Grinolds are generally very optimistic about the UW. Whether that's the sources they have being biased towards the UW or them putting a positive spin on things, I don't know. Fetters is more cautious. It's been a few days since I saw Biggins or Huffman weigh in on EV, but at that point neither one had ruled out the UW. Maybe that's changed.

We'll see on Vanderdoes. I figure UCLA is the leader at this point. Eklund's report this morning claims EV felt really good about his Notre Dame visit, but the sense is that he'd really prefer not to be that far away from home.

Since EV has gone quiet for a few weeks now it's all second-hand info from friends, coaches, etc.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #565
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Get it, Michael? Get it?

Okay, dumb joke of the day over, so what the hell is Ole Miss giving out to recruits these days anyway?

An education? . Ok, even I couldn't buy that one.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #566
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Get it, Michael? Get it?

Hey, any time you can play for a coach who's been at Arkansas State and Lambuth University for the last 5 years you have to take it. (And idk if you were making reference to it, but yes, Hugh Freeze was Oher's HS coach... and he got his first college job at Ole Miss 2 weeks after Oher signed.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #567
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(And idk if you were making reference to it, but yes, Hugh Freeze was Oher's HS coach... and he got his first college job at Ole Miss 2 weeks after Oher signed.)

Are you intimating that former Ole Miss coach Crazy Ed "Shirts Off" Orgeron was involved in something--*gasp*--unseemly in recruiting?!?

Perish the thought!

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #568
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Is the EE's counting against this year's or last year's class a general rule or are there limits placed on it? For some reason, the closest thing UMass has to a recruiting guy is saying our 2 EE's are counting against this class, and I can't imagine why we'd do that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #569
MrBug708
Head Coach

If you have 27 commits, it gets you around the 25 cap
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #570
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Is the EE's counting against this year's or last year's class a general rule or are there limits placed on it? For some reason, the closest thing UMass has to a recruiting guy is saying our 2 EE's are counting against this class, and I can't imagine why we'd do that.
Well, if there's not room against the previous class to count them then they'd have to count against this one unless they are willing to greyshirt (delay enrollment).

Even if they can't be counted back against last year's class, there's still the big advantage of the early entries being able to take part in Spring practices. That gives them a nice head start over the guys that arrive in Fall.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #571
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I haven't heard any SC sources that say that. The latest is that EV is unlikely but the coaches still think he is in play. Also, the latest rumors about UCLA coaches leaving might have an effect.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #572
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA coaches leaving...haha

The rumor was Klemm or Angus....well...which one is?

Total WildWest board rumors

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #573
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Gerald Martinez on the Peristyle just talked to Vanderdoes' father and he said the rumors that UW or USC are eliminated are completely untrue, "he hasn't eliminated anyone." He is visiting Alabama this weekend.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #574
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm sure he will have a hat on the table. But nobody really trusts parents four days before signing day
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #575
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Sark has finally reached his limit with Enewally and pulled his offer. He was supposed to go public with a commitment to the UW tonight but (as has been his pattern) he backed-off.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #576
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I haven't heard any SC sources that say that. The latest is that EV is unlikely but the coaches still think he is in play. Also, the latest rumors about UCLA coaches leaving might have an effect.

The rumor is getting better. Now USC will hire Klemm, but after signing day.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #577
MrBug708
Head Coach

Here is some info on UCLA and their admissions with regards to sports
-----------------------------
There are three D-1 programs in the country that require its Prospective Student Athletes to be admitted into school before their NLI will be accepted.

They are UCLA, Stanford and Northwestern.

So, the other 117 D-1 schools can send NLIs out to and accept them from PSAs who have never been admitted to school, or those that aren't even qualified by NCAA standards.

It's one reason why so many schools over-sign, because they know a good portion of their "commitments" aren't going to make it academically anyway and not come near the playing field in fall.

For UCLA, Stanford and Northwestern, the PSAs that sign on SD, the vast majority of the time, compose the actual class that will enroll that fall.

So, when judging and ranking classes, this might not be taken into consideration on SD. But those three schools should get more credit for signing classes that will actually make up the signees that will enroll in fall.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #578
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The rumor is getting better. Now USC will hire Klemm, but after signing day.

It has been that for a few days.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #579
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is some info on UCLA and their admissions with regards to sports
-----------------------------
There are three D-1 programs in the country that require its Prospective Student Athletes to be admitted into school before their NLI will be accepted.

They are UCLA, Stanford and Northwestern.

So, the other 117 D-1 schools can send NLIs out to and accept them from PSAs who have never been admitted to school, or those that aren't even qualified by NCAA standards.

It's one reason why so many schools over-sign, because they know a good portion of their "commitments" aren't going to make it academically anyway and not come near the playing field in fall.

For UCLA, Stanford and Northwestern, the PSAs that sign on SD, the vast majority of the time, compose the actual class that will enroll that fall.

So, when judging and ranking classes, this might not be taken into consideration on SD. But those three schools should get more credit for signing classes that will actually make up the signees that will enroll in fall.

UCLA just cuts their guys later. Massive culling by Mora.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #580
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It has been that for a few days.

So they are going to let Klemm sign all of these Offensive Lineman then switch over to coach at USC after signing day, under a lame duck head coach who nobody respects? At least Sark signed Tosh BEFORE LOI day.

This is discounting the fact that Klemm is signed thru next season and just signed an extension?

You shouldn't listen to the posters on WildWest
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #581
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
UCLA just cuts their guys later. Massive culling by Mora.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. "Massive?"

Man, things must be getting painful down in South Central. First the rumor about Jim Mora leaving didn't work out, next the rumors are that Klemm is leaving, which aren't going to work out. Will it be next that our Graduate Assistants are leaving? Are you guys that afraid of Mora?

I'd be more worried about the fact that Clancy and Haden both dislike Orgeron immensely.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-02-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #582
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Vanderdoes is having a great time at Alabama.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #583
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Haden likes Coach O fine. Coach O isn't going anywhere.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #584
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Scummy move by UF. 4 star Quinton Powell had named a final 2 of UF and USC, but he gave heads up to UF that he is choosing USC. Florida pulled his offer and leaked it to the media ruining the suspense for his announcement on NSD.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #585
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Haden likes Coach O fine. Coach O isn't going anywhere.

Well, not before signing day.

Has there ever been a program that he's been at that HASN'T ended up on probation? Maybe Syracuse?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #586
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Scummy move by UF. 4 star Quinton Powell had named a final 2 of UF and USC, but he gave heads up to UF that he is choosing USC. Florida pulled his offer and leaked it to the media ruining the suspense for his announcement on NSD.

haha...really? So a kid is going to embarrass Florida by not picking them on National TV, so they revoked his offer?

Is USC going to lock him in a hotel and hire his handler?

I've been saving them EF, you've been MIA too long this year after the less than stellar performance and a UCLA win. (Yes, I know real life exists too )

Last edited by MrBug708 : 02-02-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #587
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

EF you are only telling half the story.

He has set an announcement date three times, and changed it. He was supposed to announce at his school Friday. When he postponed it, again, Muschamp told him he was through with it and was moving on.

Far be it from me to be a Muschamp fan, especially afte he stunt he pulled with Bud Robinson, buti applaud this decision. BTW several people I know close this situation think he was UF's as did Muschamp.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #588
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
EF you are only telling half the story.

He has set an announcement date three times, and changed it. He was supposed to announce at his school Friday. When he postponed it, again, Muschamp told him he was through with it and was moving on.

Far be it from me to be a Muschamp fan, especially afte he stunt he pulled with Bud Robinson, buti applaud this decision. BTW several people I know close this situation think he was UF's as did Muschamp.

Honestly, this is the first I have heard about different announcement times for him or any of what you posted.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #589
Swaggs
Coordinator

What is the benefit of Florida holding a spot open for him for the next several days if he informed him that he was going elsewhere?

I'd pull it and move on to plan B if I was recruiting in this situation, too. Not enough time left to honor the kid's theatrics if he waiting until NSD to make it "official."
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #590
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not a big name, but I'm happy to see this news. He would have been our QB (i.e. my son's school) but transferred in order to play for the coach who helped produce college football's winningest QB David Greene. Several circumstances around that whole deal & I didn't blame him one iota for his decision. It proved to be a good one as he led Jefferson to their first state championship this season.

For the Wolfpackers in da house, he's a dual-threat kid with very good speed. Smart kid too, he was initially looking at choosing between several Ivy League schools before this offer (and ones from UAB & JMU) came up.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/prep/...mmits-nc-state
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #591
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What is the benefit of Florida holding a spot open for him for the next several days if he informed him that he was going elsewhere?

I'd pull it and move on to plan B if I was recruiting in this situation, too. Not enough time left to honor the kid's theatrics if he waiting until NSD to make it "official."

Schools move on all the time without leaking it to the press.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #592
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Totally off the radar but my co-worker's kid just committed to Rhode Island. She is so excited that he will have a full ride to college.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-03-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #593
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Schools move on all the time without leaking it to the press.

Leaking to the press would be an easy violation
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #594
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
And from the not so fast my friend department......looks like nation #1 Robert nkemdiche, high school teammate and tag along David Kamari, roberrt's dad, and Ryan carter (another high school team mate) will be riding with two Grayson high school coaches to Clemson this weekend for an unofficial visit.

What a weird weird recruiting saga this one has been.

I really like this kid (nkemdiche) though I don't think he's the prospect some believe he is. I think he's top 25 good, not top 1 good, and I hope Clemson lands him. But this is a weird one....

Btw you won't see this reported anywhere else until he is on campus Friday night.....I'd appreciate it if it stays here. If I hear he won't be coming, ill update this thread but that's the plan, per Robert, as of 20 minutes ago.

Lots of pics from his LSU visit this weekend. Did he visit Clemson first or did this fall through?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #595
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Carl Lawson reaffirmed his commitment to Auburn, and that isn't even the biggest news from the weekend for them. Apparently Reuben Foster left Saturday night, in the middle of his OV, and headed to Tuscaloosa with a few friends. The rumor is that an Auburn offensive linemen dropped an n bomb on him and it set him off (deservedly so if true). His mom apparently stuck around at Auburn until Sunday regardless.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #596
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Anything to screw Auburn over.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #597
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Lots of pics from his LSU visit this weekend. Did he visit Clemson first or did this fall through?

Fell through. Literally late afternoon Friday. Sorry I forgot I posted here or I would have updated it.

Btw c Lawson. Is done and says he is an auburn tiger.
I expet nkemdiche to be a rebel....and momma is thankful...very thankful.
Foster was sent Llegedly to try and sway AKamara....at least what I heard

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #598
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jack didn't visit anywhere this weekend
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #599
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Kylie Fitts is a Bruin.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #600
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kylie Fitts is a Bruin.

A good point was brought up on the UCLA Scout board today, noting that UCLA recruits Massington, Duarte, and (if this proves true) Fitts would have easily become Trojans without the sanctions. So if anyone was thinking before they weren't have much of an effect on USC, they clearly are.

Although I am still of the opinion that main issue for USC is not the sanctions but Garrett's going away present, i.e. Kiffin.