Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #551
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

UNLV's win doesn't hurt my bracket since that part was trashed anyway and it's good for the Mountain West to have a rep in the Sweet 16.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #552
Logan
Head Coach

Had them losing to Oregon anyway.

Between this loss and the tough game against TAMCC...bad tournament.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #553
rowech
Pro Starter

All season long, everyone reports that the Big 10 and ACC are the two best conferences...now it looks as if they'll each have only one team left?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #554
Easy Mac

i don't remember anyone saying the Big Ten was a top conference.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #555
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
i don't remember anyone saying the Big Ten was a top conference.

Usually when there is talk of a conference receiving 2 #1 seeds leading up to the tourney (Wisconsin and Ohio State), they are talked about as one of the top conferences.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #556
mckerney
Coordinator

Great for my bracket. I was sitting in second down 1 point. The guy in first had Wisconsin going to the final four, I had UNLV beating them.

w00t!! Go Runnin' Rebels! (and Lon Kruger come to Minnesota, plz k thx).
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #557
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Usually when there is talk of a conference receiving 2 #1 seeds leading up to the tourney (Wisconsin and Ohio State), they are talked about as one of the top conferences.

unless those are the only two who were seen to be any good
Old 03-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #558
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Since you seem to be such a big fan of RPIs, the Big 10 was #4 in conference RPI, only 0.0124 behind the top RPI conference.

edit, which is almost the same difference between #4 and #5 (0.0104). So the top 4 conferences RPI-wise are very close to each other stat-wise.

Last edited by cartman : 03-18-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #559
Easy Mac

when was i a fan of rpi, because i like duke?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #560
cartman
Death Herald

Texas just doesn't seem like they were ready to play today. USC is simply taking it to them. The Horns climbed back to within 7 at the half, but USC is on a 16-3 run here early in the second half.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #561
Fouts
College Starter

Nice run by the Trojans. 17 point lead with 15 minutes left.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #562
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
All season long, everyone reports that the Big 10 and ACC are the two best conferences...now it looks as if they'll each have only one team left?

Not everyone did. If you go back and take a look at page 3 of the college basketball thread, several people said that Pac 10 was the best conference
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #563
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nevada sure let this one get away.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #564
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Nevada sure let this one get away.

Yeah Memphis earned it though, they shot foul shots well which they normally don't do. Had they shot their normal 60% it would have been a different game.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #565
RedKingGold
College Starter

Wow. I can never remember a year where so many of the higher seeds made it through relatively unscathed.

Has there been another year since the tourney expanded to 64 (or now 65) teams that no double digit seeds made it to the Sweet Sixteen? Off-hand, I can't recall a year.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #566
miami_fan
Coordinator

I hope Randolph Morris does not think he is ready for the NBA yet.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #567
Dekanth
Mascot

All hail the ACC!

The RPI is sure a useful tool.
Dekanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #568
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Wow. I can never remember a year where so many of the higher seeds made it through relatively unscathed.

Has there been another year since the tourney expanded to 64 (or now 65) teams that no double digit seeds made it to the Sweet Sixteen? Off-hand, I can't recall a year.

I did a little bit of research to answer my own question. Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985, the only other year in which no double-digit seed advanced to the Sweet Sixteen is 1995.

That year, the lowest seed to make the Sweet Sixteen was a #6 seed held by Tulsa, Georgetown, and Memphis. It bears stating that none of those teams made it to the Elite Eight (which had two 1 vs. 2 matchups, and two 4 vs. 2 matchups)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #569
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

To be honest, as an ACC watcher, I'm not really surprised at the decimation of the conference in the NCAAs. When you looked at the standings and saw a cluster of nine teams running between 7-9 and 11-5, it meant the conference was deep, but there were no super teams (UNC's current form notwithstanding) that would be carrying the banner deep this year. Hell, a 5-11 State squad that had gotten crushed at Maryland the last regular season game ousted three of those NCAA teams in three days before falling in the title game to Carolina. The seed distribution does indicate something of this because only Carolina had a 1-seed. Everyone else was a 4 or worse. So, having all of them but UNC gone before the Sweet 16 isn't actually that surprising if you assume a 4/5 matchup is relatively even with the 4 being a slightly better team. The ACC wound up losing both 4/5 games today which will make things look worse for the conference overall as a result.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #570
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sweet 16!

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-18-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #571
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This has to be the most snoozer of a bracket year in a while. In the Sweet 16, only 5 of those teams didn't play to seed and the lowest seed advancing is a 7. Not feeling as bad about not making a bracket now and it looks like one of those years where office secretaries across the country will win the pools again.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #572
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Sweet 16!

Wow, good for you EF!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #573
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Stop trying to get the last word.

word
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #574
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Making a bracket sure does impede my ability to enjoy the games much. I doubt I'll do one next year.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Wow, I'm really happy for Tennessee. We'll get our doors blown off by a hot OSU team, but I'm happy.

And after an ugly first 10 minutes, the Lady Vols took care of business nicely.
Nothing like a 34-0 run to put those early game jitters behind you.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #576
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

No real word on CDR's ankle yet, other than a moderate sprain. I do not know if he is going to play or not. I think he was on the way to a career game today, but that is the luck.

It is going to be tough to beat Texas A&M in San Antonio.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #577
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Making a bracket sure does impede my ability to enjoy the games much. I doubt I'll do one next year.

really?

I would say 99% of people feel the opposite
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #578
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
really?

It makes those games without any allegiances more fun to watch I think. I know what he is saying though, especially when the teams you pick to win piss the game away in the final minutes.
INDalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #579
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I don't think anyone said the Big Ten was one of the best conferences. What I heard was that OSU and Wisconsin were great and everyone else was mediocre to bad. Look at the number of bids the conference got, the committee certainly didn't think the Big Ten was a great conference.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #580
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

The day I finally realized this for me was a great day. Haven't done one since the early 90s, really. I think I might have done one on yahoo once just because my wife likes doing it and was hounding me to do it, but I don't think I even checked on it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #581
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

I totally agree with this. That's why I haven't done one for a few years (despite really being pressured this year).

I did find something that is the best of both worlds... my boss at work (who doesn't know a clue about basketball) had me fill her bracket out for her. So if it does good, I can say how smart I am, and if it messes up (which it inevitably will), I just say "it's not my money so I wasn't trying". And it doesn't mess with my enjoyment of the games since it has no effect on me at all...
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #582
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is there another sport in the world where people are upset when by the lack of upsets than college basketball? It is just a weird phenomenon.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #583
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is there another sport in the world where people are upset when by the lack of upsets than college basketball? It is just a weird phenomenon.

No. But that's why the tournament became the tournament. There would be very little interest (only the diehards) if the Sweet 16 was historically filled with (close to) 4 sets of 1-4 seeds.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #584
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No. But that's why the tournament became the tournament. There would be very little interest (only the diehards) if the Sweet 16 was historically filled with (close to) 4 sets of 1-4 seeds.

Interesting
Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #585
rowech
Pro Starter

Sorry...I love the fact that no team worse than a 7 advanced. Hopefully, in the last eight, they are all 1 and 2 seeds. I love the underdog for the first round, maybe the second. After that, let the best teams play.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #586
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
really?

I don't often fall into the 99% anyway.

But...I think all in all, it would be a lot more enjoyable to 1) root for upsets, knowing that it won't matter if my bracket gets trashed and 2) to enjoy just good games that go down to the wire and most important 3) to root for the best teams to win and to prove themselves.

It's not even like I spend money on my brackets or earn cash with any of the ones I bother with (or lose money, that is.) It's just hard to watch the games in the same way.

And heaven forbid Wyoming actually slip up one of these days and get back to the tourney, I'd have a hard time writing a bracket with an actual dog in the hunt.

I prefer to watch the games the same way I can watch college football's postseason. Without much allegiance to anyone and the ability to pick the team I'm rooting for on the fly.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #587
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Woot Marist Women! 13th seeded Red Foxes upset Ohio State in the first round of the women's tourney. Combined with the Marist men winning the regular MAAC season title and upsetting Oklahoma State in the first round of NIT, its been a pretty good year for them.

Okay back to the men's tourney...

Woot again! Marist upsets #5 Middle Tennessee State to become the highest seeded team (well tied with two others) in women's tourney history to make the Sweet 16. Sadly the run will probably end there as they will likely face Middle Tennessee's big sisters, Tennessee in the next round.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #588
Rizon
Pro Starter

Good matchups coming up for the sweet 16. There is potential for some really sick ass basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #589
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Good matchups coming up for the sweet 16. There is potential for some really sick ass basketball.

Yeah. I mean, everyone likes to see an underdog advance, but it should make for some prettier games in the sweet 16 and beyond.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #590
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, the arena looks empty for the SIU game
Old 03-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #591
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm looking forward to catching the Pittsburgh-UCLA game today. I haven't been able to catch much of the tourney thanks to the lousy times the games are on over here (midday), but I've taken a few hours off work to watch this game.

UCLA should win, but I'm keen to see Aaron Gray play for Pitt. Haven't seen him in action before, and I'm interested to see how he'll do against Mata and the rest of UCLA's frontcourt.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #592
adubroff
High School JV

How can a major network look at the two games in this slot (A&M/Memphis, SIU/Kansas) and decide to air SIU/Kansas as the main game. On paper, I think the A&M/Memphis game has a chance to be the best one of this round.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #593
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm hoping and praying that Memphis knocks the living hell out of A&M...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #594
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm hoping and praying that Memphis knocks the living hell out of A&M...

I really like A&M. I am a big fan of Law, and I like the coach a lot.

Another annoying thing by the way...there are two games going right now, CBS has the scoreboard in the upper right corner and it's showing the score of one game at a time. Half of the time, the score is the game I'm actually watching.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #595
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
How can a major network look at the two games in this slot (A&M/Memphis, SIU/Kansas) and decide to air SIU/Kansas as the main game. On paper, I think the A&M/Memphis game has a chance to be the best one of this round.

We've got the Memphis-A&M game on. REALLY wish I could be watching that right now.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #596
JeeberD
General Manager

The Tigers need to D up just a bit.

Keep it up, Salukis!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #597
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

same old Kansas
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #598
Easy Mac

That white boy broke #15's ankles.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #599
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ugh, this is unpleasant to listen to and it really annoys me that I can't think of the name of the play-by-play guy.

I know we're big, scary Kansas (uh.. yeah, having choked the last couple of years- not the scariest thing on 2 wheels) but I love how anytime KU plays a little D, they're roughing up the Salukis but NIU, who just doesn't have the same size, if they're shoving us around, it's just great defense. And, conversely, anytime SIU gets a foul called on them, the "refs are whistling it tight now"...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-22-2007 at 07:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #600
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

this A&M- Memphis game is shaping up to be a classic